AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-28, 01:29   Link #1
Foxy-chan

Cartoon Network Anime

I have a fifteen-year-old daughter who is addicted to Cartoon Network Anime (Naruto, etc.). Can you guys offer suggestions (top ten list, maybe) for what you would consider the peak of the art form?

I'd really apreciate it. I like to surprise her by sharing in her interests.
Old 2006-07-28, 01:42   Link #2
domino
デレデレ

Well, once upon a time I was a fifteen-year-old girl, too, and at the time Fruits Basket was at the top of my list. It's a great show (especially for girls) and is a fan-favorite among all anime fans.

As for newer things (stuff you can only find as fansubs), Ouran High School Host Club basically takes everything that Fruits Basket did well and improves on it.

Both of these shows are romantic comedies for girls, though (however, most boys seem to like them both just as much). I have no idea if your daughter will like them, since it sounds like she's only been exposed to Cartoon Network anime (which is pretty much entirely action/adventure shows). All of the action shows I would recommend either have been on Cartoon Network before or are scheduled to air on Cartoon Network later this year, so it won't be anything new for her... the only action/adventure Cartoon Network-style show that I can think of that is good but hasn't aired on TV before is "Scrapped Princess".
Old 2006-07-28, 04:04   Link #3
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well I can't admit to ever being a 15 yr old girl , but if she loves Naruto and I assume the other Cartoon Network animes like Zatch Bell (Gash Bell), One Piece, IGPX, Bo-bo-bo-bo-bo-bo, I might have a clue what she likes...I take it she likes action-shows with comedy...Perhaps you could give me a better idea of what she likes, but if you can't I assume you want a generic list of dubbed anime that's available at places like Suncoast, Blockbuster, etc.,...Obviously these are the shows I think that are the "peak of the artform" for what I think she wants...

Cowboy Bebop (Many rank this anime as the best since Y2K, I'm sure she knows about it but it hasn't aired on CN in a while)

School Rumble (I'm sure she will love this anime which is outrages and funny and has some action..Features high schoolers and the comedy of young romance)

Gundam SEED (Pretty good mecha (robot) series with pretty characters and lots of action)

The Mars Daybreak (A visual treat for the eyes that has alot of underwater mecha action)

His & Her Circumstances (Perhaps the best High School, comedy-drama I have ever seen in anime)

Serial Experiments Lain (It's mind-challenging like the matrix but she might like it)

LAST EXILE (Lots of great CG action and dramatic quality)

The Animatrix (Just a legendary movie of anime shorts that are wildly creative inspired by "The Matrix" movies)

R.O.D. THE TV (Girl-powered anime with intrigue, mystery, and action at every turn--Involves sisters who can control paper and who also love to read books)

King of Bandits Jing (Simple, yet fun show about the adventures of a powerful fighter and his pet crow who can combine to create a powerful weapon)

I assume she watches CN late-night anime shows so I won't suggest them, but you might want to ask if she watches, EUREKA 7, Full Metal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, Trigun, FLCL, and (soon to come) BLEACH (which is probably to closest show to Naruto out right now in-terms of action)...I have no idea if you have any clue or not about anime other than action ones on CN...Because there are anime about almost anything you can imagine..I could help you further if I knew a bit more about what you are really looking for with her...I also have no clue what you would consider "too-adult" or "over-the-line" for you both to share in...

There are more shows that I consider "The peak" of the artform, but most of those may or may not be more adult based, but shouldn't be too bad for someone who is mature for 15...
Old 2006-07-28, 10:41   Link #4
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
As for R.O.D. TV, the show is a bit schizophrenic in that it has a touching sentimental side in some episodes, and a ridiculous, ill-explained action filler for others. The only problem I find with this suggestion is that it does have some fan-service geared towards men (yes, that includes nudity and some shockingly bloody violence). That is to say, I'm only 12 episodes in.

I wholeheartidly suggest Noir, a show that seems to be a stepping stone to anime with deeper stories, symbolism, thought, and expression. For many of us who enjoy it, it was the kind of show that changed our lives and the way we think. It follows two assassins, a girl and a woman from Paris. The girl wakes up one morning not knowing who she is or her past, she merely finds a gun and discovers after being pursued that she can kill so easily. This isn't to say that this is a complete action show, sequences are done based more on style and emotion then flashy gunplay. The show is a mystery and intrigue, and plot, story, and character development are key. It is a show that doesn't contain any blood and it's audience focus isn't that of the male gender that many of Cartoon Network's anime selections tailor to. It will definitly feel different, but in a very refreshing way.

I also suggest as a unique gift that if you start watching anime with your daughter, try to introduce her to watching things subtitled. I remember my first time watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (a movie I still don't like particularly), I couldn't imagine anyone would watch it in subtitles. However, my experience in anime has been infinitely more satisfying hearing the original Japanese performances because of the touching drama they can bring that english voice actors do not seem to be able to achieve. In fact, as of now watching shows I know and love dubbed almost appears to be a mockery of the material. There are those that don't take such an extreme stance on the subject, although I would say that the original voice actors always bring a believability and emotion that dubbers can never achieve (this goes for foreign films as well).
Old 2006-07-28, 12:00   Link #5
mit7059

My suggestion would be to have her stop watching Cartoon Network anime, and introduce her to much higher quality anime that can be found on animesuki, for a 15 year old girl, I'm guessing she might like a little romance, so try Suzuka, Shuffle! and Honey & Clover.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-07-28, 14:00   Link #6
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ombrenuit
As for R.O.D. TV, the show is a bit schizophrenic in that it has a touching sentimental side in some episodes, and a ridiculous, ill-explained action filler for others. The only problem I find with this suggestion is that it does have some fan-service geared towards men (yes, that includes nudity and some shockingly bloody violence). That is to say, I'm only 12 episodes in.

I wholeheartidly suggest Noir, a show that seems to be a stepping stone to anime with deeper stories, symbolism, thought, and expression. For many of us who enjoy it, it was the kind of show that changed our lives and the way we think. It follows two assassins, a girl and a woman from Paris. The girl wakes up one morning not knowing who she is or her past, she merely finds a gun and discovers after being pursued that she can kill so easily. This isn't to say that this is a complete action show, sequences are done based more on style and emotion then flashy gunplay. The show is a mystery and intrigue, and plot, story, and character development are key. It is a show that doesn't contain any blood and it's audience focus isn't that of the male gender that many of Cartoon Network's anime selections tailor to. It will definitly feel different, but in a very refreshing way.
LMAO..You don't like ROD TV as a suggestion, but you suggest Noir xD...Watch up to ep 26 and you'll have a better idea of the show me thinks...

Atleast ROD has a level of comedy and adventure that a young man or women can enjoy..and Anita being in school making new friends is a plus...There is one scene of nudity with a woman in a cavern lake, but that's about it...Yes there is some violence, but no more people die in that show than die in Naruto...Now Noir is a less adventurous, more serious assassin drama, where peopoe die every episode and the relationship between the 2 main characters is ambiguously yuri...I'd say ROD has more shojo-type action that a female Naruto fan might enjoy morso than what's found in Noir...It also is funny and light unlike Noir and has great messages of family and friendship (Expressed by the sisters love for each other and their roomate Nenenene)...

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2006-07-28 at 15:40.
Old 2006-07-28, 14:09   Link #7
drgntig
i'm psychic.god says hi.

im fifteen i should know.

dude my best suggetion is to let her see armitage,goust in the shell,x5,and of course my all time favorite bandit king jing.
Old 2006-07-28, 15:20   Link #8
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
hmm so she likes action like naruto...i would suggest watching bleach its full of action and killing monsters and a main chara wielding a massive sword

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Closed Thread