AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-07-30, 21:31   Link #1
paro

License checking for non anime

Does anyone know a good place to check for if hk live-action movies are licensed or not? I have some that say "for sale only in hong kong, etc. etc." without mentioning western countries, does that mean they probably dont have a license here? I've been looking, and dont want to add them to my site if they are actually licensed.

I know this is outside of anime, because of course animesuki has the search feature for licensed anime... which brings me to my next question...

The original MS gundam is not listed as licensed, its not listed at all, I'm sure it is since there is an english version, but anyway my friend has the old chinese releases with their awful awful subtitles, and for fun i'd like to rip them... for some reason theres some nostalgic feeling from watching the original gundam when the sound was terrible and the subtitles only let you understand about half of what was going on... maybe thats just me, but for entertainment i'd love to rip those and share. This is probably illegal though then right?
paro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-31, 02:42   Link #2
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paro
Does anyone know a good place to check for if hk live-action movies are licensed or not? I have some that say "for sale only in hong kong, etc. etc." without mentioning western countries, does that mean they probably dont have a license here? I've been looking, and dont want to add them to my site if they are actually licensed.

I know this is outside of anime, because of course animesuki has the search feature for licensed anime... which brings me to my next question...

The original MS gundam is not listed as licensed, its not listed at all, I'm sure it is since there is an english version, but anyway my friend has the old chinese releases with their awful awful subtitles, and for fun i'd like to rip them... for some reason theres some nostalgic feeling from watching the original gundam when the sound was terrible and the subtitles only let you understand about half of what was going on... maybe thats just me, but for entertainment i'd love to rip those and share. This is probably illegal though then right?

Answer to first question:

I don't know of an all-purpose database for live-action. So I can only give some suggestions/advice.

a. If it's made by a distributor with a Region 1 MPAA branch (Sony, Warner Brothers etc.), avoid it like the plaque.
b. If it was picked up by an anime distributor, you can search for it here.
c. It may be licensed for Region 1 and not announced or listed anywhere.
d. If the non- Region 1 distributor in question feels strongly enough about the situation, their lawyers will find you.
e. If you wish to follow the legit route to finding out who has the license, then contact the distributor and ask them directly. You could contact this organizaton first if you don't speak the native language or if an English option is not available.

Answer to second question:

If you mean Mobile Suit Gundam TV, then it is licensed. Yes, it is illegal.
Old 2006-07-31, 18:36   Link #3
paro

OK, thanks. I'll see if that movie place can help, if not I'll try contacting the distributors.
paro is offline   Reply With Quote