AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-08-01, 05:14   Link #21
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron
Well, if you watched and enjoyed Mahoraba I'll give you a medal. Not many people these days that enjoy something
Everyone I recommended Mahoraba to loved it. Even one of my friends who typically only likes shounen action series. Now if I could just get back to attempting to read volume 11...
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 07:06   Link #22
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
I can't believe everyone has ignored something else the thread-starter is feeling guilty about...

He's probably feeling guilty because of the one and only "loli-factor" xD...He's seeing these little girls dipicted as sexual objects and is wondering whether or not it is wrong to enjoy it...Hahahaha (He perhaps has no say in the matter as all guys have two heads)....

I'm calling Datline NBC and give them a tip^^....

But seriously I can't see any other thing that can give "guilty pleasure" from the shows he has mentioned...If he's just confused because he's feeling emotions while watching these shows than that's not even worth a thread discussion...If you feel some emotions while watching you're not gay, your human...

Now never menttion this again human xD....
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 07:18   Link #23
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Again, it would help if the thread-starter clearly explained what he was guilty/feeling weird about.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 07:29   Link #24
DaFool
Resident devil
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philippines
By the time you reach past 25~28 you would have seen many 'womanly' things, like Memories of a Geisha, Harlequin romance novels, and Oprah.

Yes, Oprah. For example, my father is an admitted chauvinist and fan of German WWII military machinery. And he watches Oprah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Maybe high testosterone = decreased intelligence? lol
I disagree. Testosterone is generally associated with high performance, and not just physical, but mental. Let me point you to examples of testosterone shows with high degree of wit and character development: Black Lagoon, Mushishi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron
I wonder if there's someone like me who can watch romance/comedy and action/violence and enjoy all at the same time regardless of story or path taken
Me too. I don't just stick to character development series, and neither do I stick to dark series either. I can watch Lain then Shuffle! then Black Lagoon then Gankutsuoh then Planetes then Kamichu! then Chobits then Aquarion then Boogiebop Phantom then Aria then X...(you get the picture)...with no problems at all. I find that just because something falls within a genre doesn't mean its good for me. For example, I thought Ergo Proxy would be nice, but started getting boring. I also didn't 'get' Ichigo Mashimaro even though I'm a moe fan in general. So I take shows on a case by case basis. The downside to such diverse tastes with no general trend is that I have to try out everything to find out which I like.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 08:16   Link #25
DaFool
Resident devil
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philippines
To the OP of this thread, please don't be influenced by binary thinking. (Either you're straight or you're gay. You're either Democrat or Republican. You're either with us or against us.)

People are a range of genders. It's only natural they have a range of tastes as well. My brother is a masculine form of gay. Whereas I am an effeminate form of straight. We are both pissed off and annoyed at the multitudes of drag-queen 'girly' gays in our country. (We also dislike highly phallic form of macho-ness, but that is a given thats found in the rest of the world and we learn to accept that.) It seems men are either astig (macho) or bading (girly gay). There is nothing in between the two extremes. If ever anyone feels in the middle, they have to choose to either go along with the machos or else go with the drag queens. There's no middle ground, and that's frustrating.

Whatever line of thinking that got you thinking that way, stop it. Please. It will only make you more miserable. Accept the spectrum. The world isn't digital, it's analog.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 08:24   Link #26
Rin-Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Rin's apartment
just so long as you don't get into yaoi, you should be fine.
Rin-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 08:54   Link #27
mit7059
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin-Sama
just so long as you don't get into yaoi, you should be fine.
This was the main point of the sexual orientation comment. Wow, I wasn't expecting such a reaction, I randomly typed something out at 1 in the morning and come back nine hours later to a flood of replys. Probably my main issue about "should I be watching this" comes from my friends. I am one of very few people I know who watch anime, and all the other people who I do know only watch Naruto, Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist etc., shounen. I know that if a lot of my friends saw what I was watching they would be questioning my sexual orientation, because high-school guys arn't always the most mature. During Mahoraba ~Heatful Days~ I got the feeling that I shouldn't be watching it not because it was girly, but because it was kinda kidish. But I do think it is common cultural views that make me feel this way. If a guy walked up to you and told you his favorite movie in the world was Titanic, what would your immediate gut reaction tell you? It my shitty suburban American society guys aren't supposed to like romance, guys are supposed to like fire and explosions (which I do), but maybe (as I will arrogantly put it) I am just a little more mature than the rest of my fellow teenagers, but confused about the compairison.
__________________
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bullshit ~Coach Davids

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 08:57   Link #28
mit7059
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDOS_GRANDE
yes, yes it is wrong. Look in your pants. Make sure its still there.
Look at it first response, this is the type of person who makes me question shit
__________________
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bullshit ~Coach Davids

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 09:07   Link #29
mangatron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Why do girls and whips look so good together?
Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
During Mahoraba ~Heatful Days~ I got the feeling that I shouldn't be watching it not because it was girly, but because it was kinda kidish.
Now, some people know me as Mahoraba's greatest fan, and some people may be expecting me to attack this comment. I'm here now to clear this alledged issue

Yes, I too thought it was kid-ish. Heck, everyone who was watching it and posting here back in Jan 2005 thought so too. We joked about it so much someone had the guts to say "Shiratori looked like he was just potty trained" I mean, I think I went and called him a 6 yr old. But let me tell you something. All the jokes we did, it brought smiles to my face and really made me think. And as I got deeper into the series I threw away my kid-ish thoughts and took the series for what it is. This guy, he's in art school, and he wants to draw children's books. Many parents would flogg their children if they thought their child wants this as the absolute career and thats what made me admire Shiratori's guts, he wants to do that, and he's not letting anyone stop him. As for the art, I just kept remembering that these are highschool students and not babies and look at me now, a big Kozue-chan fan by the way, gotta love episode 18, all 5 persona's in one!

My point being, your not alone when you thought it was too kid-ish. But thinking it's too kid-ish shouldn't stop you, huh? It all comes down to what you really want to do, and you shouldn't let anyone stop you or criticize you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
But I do think it is common cultural views that make me feel this way. If a guy walked up to you and told you his favorite movie in the world was Titanic, what would your immediate gut reaction tell you?
I don't like Titanic, and definately not my fav

Aw come on, it's such a long movie! It had a love triangle with one of the tips being so one sided (the crazy rich guy). I did like the sinking part though....
__________________

I <3 Pantsu
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!
*mangatron's Twintail Celebration begins with Miss Monday
from Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z
!
*Feel my Birthday! May 08 2014
________________________________
* Will not be fulfilling some requests till my health is 100%.
* Health currently at 88%, I hurt like an abused masochist...
* 10 years at Animesuki! Thank you everyone for putting up
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 09:09   Link #30
DaFool
Resident devil
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philippines
Don't pay attention to anything that PEDOS_GRANDE says, he thinks everyone that likes moe is a lolicon.

Oh yeah, the only anime I don't watch are mainstream shounen and yaoi. Shounen because its, um, mainstream (not necessarily because its shounen), and yaoi because its supposed to be about equal love or whatever but ends up being the same old gender stereotypes of the 'fucker' /seme and the 'fuckee' / uke.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 09:21   Link #31
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Age: 27
Pedos_Grande
He is just being an arse in a funny way.
I see it not really as an insult but rather want to say dont worry your normal.
(At least thats how I see it.)

SpecterVR your post wasnt Redundant.

I see anime as a more involved level of entertainment. You get to Choose (Download) what you watch. You usually download an anime for the first time based on recommendations or Anidb.net's summeries/Cover for the anime.

Instead of watching crap on TV I usually have to skim channels to find shows that arent written so badly. StarTrek Next Gen on G4, Documenteries, Comedy central's news reports at late night, are pretty much all I watch these days.
Movies are the same thing... Its hard to please me. Netflix movies are great however when most of your siblings choose crap movies I usually have to leave the room.

The thing I come down to is this.
You like what you like, dont expect others to like what you like.
__________________
Join the ULF!

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 09:32   Link #32
mangatron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Why do girls and whips look so good together?
Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Everyone I recommended Mahoraba to loved it. Even one of my friends who typically only likes shounen action series. Now if I could just get back to attempting to read volume 11...

Hey, everyone I brainwashed loved it! That may include you, and keep that sig lol, you better not take it out!
__________________

I <3 Pantsu
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!
*mangatron's Twintail Celebration begins with Miss Monday
from Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z
!
*Feel my Birthday! May 08 2014
________________________________
* Will not be fulfilling some requests till my health is 100%.
* Health currently at 88%, I hurt like an abused masochist...
* 10 years at Animesuki! Thank you everyone for putting up
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 09:52   Link #33
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
Shuffle!, Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~
I don't know why both of these are listed, since when anime that have romance in them should make you feel funny, espicially when both of these are aimed at you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
During Mahoraba ~Heatful Days~ I got the feeling that I shouldn't be watching it not because it was girly, but because it was kinda kidish. But I do think it is common cultural views that make me feel this way.
There is something that I don't get here; do you think that Mahoraba ~Heatful Days~ is girly, but thats not the reason you shouldn't be watching it ?

Do you know that Mahoraba ~Heatful Days~ is a shounen anime, yes, the original manga was serialized in a magazine for boys (GanGan Wing).

I have seen lots of this type of thread/discussion before, and what I almost always see are males that think that watching romance anime is wrong, and so gay. they almost always don't even know that they are watching an anime thats aimed at them, and they call these shows girly

Anyway, don't ever listen to your friends, espicially when its concerning anime, if they are not living in japan (not to say that someone living in japan would know better), they probably know nothing. just the other day on IRC someone was saying that Suzuka is a girly anime and advicing the people on that channel not to watch it what the f***

In conclusion; just watch whatever you like, and don't listen to what your friends say.
__________________
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 10:02   Link #34
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
I am one of very few people I know who watch anime, and all the other people who I do know only watch Naruto, Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist etc., shounen. I know that if a lot of my friends saw what I was watching they would be questioning my sexual orientation, because high-school guys arn't always the most mature. During Mahoraba ~Heatful Days~ I got the feeling that I shouldn't be watching it not because it was girly, but because it was kinda kidish.
Thank you for clarifying. Well first up, if people tot that I was sexually misoriented from the Anime I was watching, I really wouldnt care. Honestly, I guess I'm just the type that takes whatever shit people throw at me. Maybe your not like that. *shrugs*

Actually, I think I once had the same experience as you. I was watching Binchou-tan, and it got me more than a little uncomfortable. Like you said, kiddish yes, but in this case it was getting a little too loli from my tastes that I started questioning the intentions of the artists in portraying her that way. I also started doubting my own intentions in watching it, I was actually starting to squirm in my seat! In other words, I guess it wasnt the type I could handle.

So what did I do? I stopped watching it. And I moved on (actually thats how I started watching the gem of a series; REC) and I didnt regret it at all. So I think that if you find an Anime out of your taste for a particular reason (be it sexually or not) then just stop watching it and move on; try another series.

Not all Animes are like Binchoutan. Not all Animes are like Mahoraba ~Heatful Days~. There is so much more, of so many other varieties.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-08-01 at 10:14.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 10:04   Link #35
DaFool
Resident devil
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philippines
Theres actually more seinen and shounen romance anime than shoujo + josei combined

I wonder if there's some big divide from when people venture beyond Shounen Jump...? Maybe an FAQ is needed...maybe not.

I'll wait until mit7059 starts using girl avatars...then I know he's got it.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 10:16   Link #36
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
There is something that I don't get here; do you think that Mahoraba ~Heatful Days~ is girly, but thats not the reason you shouldn't be watching it ?

Do you know that Mahoraba ~Heatful Days~ is a shounen anime, yes, the original manga was serialized in a magazine for boys (GanGan Wing).
Mahoraba absolutely screamed shounen dating sim from all angles. I do not know how anyone could think it was anything else.

And in regards to the OP, just because things are classified as things do not mean that is all that watch them. However, that does not mean that people will understand that. There is a famous picture of pretty cure. It's target demographic is obviously 8-14 yr old girls. However, this picture also pointed out the crowd of 18-30 yr old males was also a prime demographic. Of the shows you named, only on two of them (AiBaby, ouran) do you fall really far from the original target, but in both cases, the show is more targeted toward males than the manga. (The mangas are both targeted at middle-teen girls.) Shuffle and mahoraba are targeted directly at your age group.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 10:19   Link #37
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
I'll wait until mit7059 starts using girl avatars...then I know he's got it.
Hee
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 10:29   Link #38
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
There is a famous picture of pretty cure. It's target demographic is obviously 8-14 yr old girls. However, this picture also pointed out the crowd of 18-30 yr old males was also a prime demographic.
Yeah, I saw that picture it did say 18-30 yr old males.
__________________
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 10:50   Link #39
Furudanuki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: State of denial
Age: 56
mit7059 - Best advice I can give you is to try out as many series as you can and then stick with whatever you find entertaining. Anime (or anything else, for that matter) may be targeted at a specific demographic, but that doesn't mean that no one else is allowed to enjoy it. I'm a male, I've been around a pretty long time, and I love romance-themed anime - including all of the series you mentioned. If somebody thinks that makes me "less manly" somehow... well, I guess everyone has a right to be as ignorant as they desire. They are welcome to discuss it with my wife if they really feel the need.

@SpecterVR - OK, I noticed it.
__________________
Now watching: Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka, Allison to Lillia, Clannad - After Story, Daughter of Twenty Faces, Hidamari Sketch x365, Kannagi, Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~, Telepathy Girl Ran, To Aru Majutsu no Index, Toradora, Zettai Karen Children
Recently completed: Ghost Hound, Aria: The Origination, Kanokon, Kure-nai, Itazura na Kiss, Special A, Birdy the Mighty Decode, Macross Frontier, Ryouko's Case File, ToLoveRU, Wagaya no Oinari-sama
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 11:05   Link #40
Rin-Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Rin's apartment
There is nothing wrong with watching a girly anime here and there. It's best not to be inclined to a certian anime all the time. vary your likes and you'll be fine. This is what makes an otaku an otaku!

Hell i watch Marie-sama and Strawberry panic.
Rin-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.