AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2008-08-28, 19:20   Link #341
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

Well as much as I hate to say this I think there may be some NatsuXLucy development later. From what I recall Lucy's mother died/disappeared the same year the dragons disappeared. There has to be some connection of some sort and I think it gonna involve the 2 much more later on.

on a side not I just relised the smiley face on makarov's staff
Old 2008-08-28, 19:54   Link #342
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumowow View Post
I liked the way you phrased that. It sounded sweet

Also, i think this experience will make everyone's relationships stronger and maybe lucy, natsu, gray and the others will get a lot of props. I mean props such as they will be revered by the guild, but not enough to go to the 2nd floor because that will have been too easy.
Thanks sumowow! Come to think of it, it does have a poetic ring the more you say it, eh? well you know what to do... *hint towards the "Respect" button* ;p

kidding.

but i dunno about that, i think at leased Erza will make it to the second floor, i mean she face one of the "HOLY MAGE" and diverted a disaster with her own life, it's not exaggerating when they were praising her at her "funeral". She really does deserve the credit.

As for Natsu and co. hmmm... I think Natsu and whatisthatotherblokecalledtheonewithice? i forget. Them two might also go up.

Not gray or lucy. they didn't really do much. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Well as much as I hate to say this I think there may be some NatsuXLucy development later. From what I recall Lucy's mother died/disappeared the same year the dragons disappeared. There has to be some connection of some sort and I think it gonna involve the 2 much more later on.

on a side not I just relised the smiley face on makarov's staff

NuuuuUuUUuuuuuuUUuwwwuuuuWWwa!

usoki! dame!

lies! slander! D:

seriously, im a bit tired of the women-who-is-weaker-then-the-bloke-relationship pair.

Sure she makes up for things that Natsu doesn't have, but she isn't the true match for Natsu, neither in authority, confidence or sheer power and technique.

I mean a women won't take an inferior bloke (self *Sob*), so why should Natsu?
Old 2008-08-28, 20:16   Link #343
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Because such is the law of some mangas?

Besides, Lucy is strong in her own right... not as strong as those like Erza and Natsu, but probably stronger than half the rest of the guild

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 20:27   Link #344
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

meh.

the "damsel" formula never gets old, huh?

Old 2008-08-28, 21:24   Link #345
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
... not for me, at least

is it a bad thing if I still like the old 'princess has her knight in shining armor' ideology?

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 22:48   Link #346
sumowow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Because such is the law of some mangas?

Besides, Lucy is strong in her own right... not as strong as those like Erza and Natsu, but probably stronger than half the rest of the guild
Don't forget that lucy can also summon "Leo" if she wanted to. She may not have power herself, but it takes a lot of magic power to summon creatures to help you.
sumowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 22:49   Link #347
MooMooFarm

Spoiler for :
MooMooFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 22:50   Link #348
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Umm, Erza is already allowed on the second floor, just like Mistgun and the Master's grandson.

and Gray is the ice guy, and thus qualifiers as "doing something" considering Natsu would still be stuck in Mr.Owl's stomach.

Each of the members of the main character group defeated opponents of significant repute.

Edit: and to the above poster, did you even READ Rave Master? Masamune kills characters often enough, a lot more then the immortal cast of One Piece.

One Piece's bad guys really don't impress me that often, about 1 out of 4 bad guys in that series are interesting, the rest are just wierd, and the only members of the main cast I even like are Zoro, Robin, and Sanji; maybe Nami just because she is cute.

In Fairy Tail however, I find myself liking every member of the main cast, and most of the enemies are interesting enough (although other then his connection to Erza, Gerard didn't interest me much)

Last edited by Fenrir_valindri; 2008-08-28 at 23:01.
Fenrir_valindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 23:57   Link #349
MooMooFarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
Umm, Erza is already allowed on the second floor, just like Mistgun and the Master's grandson.

Edit: and to the above poster, did you even READ Rave Master? Masamune kills characters often enough, a lot more then the immortal cast of One Piece.

One Piece's bad guys really don't impress me that often, about 1 out of 4 bad guys in that series are interesting, the rest are just wierd.
Spoiler for :
Old 2008-08-29, 01:22   Link #350
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

YEAH IM THE TIGAH!!!!!!!! haha i just love this nakama style mangas hehehe
Old 2008-08-29, 03:18   Link #351
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooFarm View Post
Spoiler for :
Spoiler:
Old 2008-08-29, 06:35   Link #352
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Spoiler for :
1. Ever thought of the possibility that there are people who are fed up with extremely long archfiend arcs? There's not much focus on the bad guys because the arc is not freakingly stretched to oblivion like OP (CP9 and thrillerbark arcs were way too long for my taste). I admit though OP holds the monopoly for freaky characters, but some were so over the top that it kinda ruined the mood cause of overexaggerating hilarity. Summary: FT tries to be more serious / has shorter arcs and battles, that's a big plus to me even though that means the bad guys come and go since they get beaten so fast.

2/3. Alright now we add several other series for the base of argumentation? Don't you wanna complain about FT not having as much of a romance part as *insert random shoujo manga* as well? You go to the other manga threads as well to picture their flaws and weaknesses by facing them with other series that do it 'better'? Like serious, no manga can do it all right or have it all. I know you still like this series (at least that was my impression) but you seem to suffer from too high expectancy.

one thing to add: The Erza/Gray-Ur/Loki arcs showed a good amount of inner conflict, it just didn't lead the protagonists to beat the crap out of each other or betray their friends to create a boring endless theme of 'bringing the friend back' (you get where i'm pointing at ).
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-29, 07:40   Link #353
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Quote:
Rave isn't FT/OP. Rave feels different. Drawing style =/= same Atmosphere or themes. Rave was like, YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE BUDDY SHITS GONNA HAPPEN TO YOU. OP and FT is like, HEY SUP WE ARE ALL FRIENDS and we are going to GET IN SHIT. Or do you claim Mashima only knows how to do one type of story? Monster Hunter Orage is kind of like FT/OP, but like wow, is it kinda T_T I mean, you choose to rip off a game that's pretty much a GHETTO mmo and try to create a story? =/ At least .hack created their own damn world.
Your missing the point, I responded to that portion because you claimed that the mangaka never kills his characters; when he has in a previous manga that is also shonen (even of a different style), that indicates that in the past, he wasn't afraid to use character death to further the story.

Quote:
1/4 is way better than FT T_T
1/4? Don't believe I have read it.

Quote:
I'm trying to limit my posting, so like, here's my points:

1. FT doesn't even have 1/4th of their bad guys as interesting (I dare you any of you to reflect on this arc and claim any of the bad guys were awesome and memorable, I mean come on, the only guy I remember is the stupid man eating owl and he's STUPID)
OP is also ungodly long, and spends an inordinary amount of time making their bad guys as freaky as possible. That is generally the reason OP bad guys are interesting; and for the record, Ikagura was quite memorable considering how defensless Erza's battle with her and her general character design.

FT villians are short and sweet, OP villians drag on for an entire arc.

Quote:
2. FT hasn't shown any opportunities for inner conflict. Examples are Chuunin Exam, SS-Arc, etc. This is a very good way to create fights/conflict without using up your antagonist resources.
The entire Arc about Gray's past? Lluvia's doubts over her being a worthy Nakama while battling Lucy? Erza's hesitation to finish of Gerard, the man she loved?

Quote:
3. FT's big cheese got offed way too easily. Gerard is the current big cheese up to this point. There's no doubting it. You cannot argue. They built him up from the FIRST PAGE. The FIRST PAGE. You can take any of the big 3, and their big cheese/cheeses are used very resourcefully. It retains a focus from the viewers. The best example of big cheese usage is Eye shield 21. How the focus made you forget about the real ES21 for so long until the end and making teams like Oujo and Nagas feel like the big cheese was an amazing accomplishment, but was only do-able because such teams contained quality characters unlike the other teams. There's no Shin/Agon for FT, other than maybe Iron Dragon.
We don't even know if Gerard was truly a big cheese or not; he could well be akin to early OP villians who were really small fry in the big scheme of things. Sure he had a plan that involved reviving one of the most feared mages in history, but that doesn't mean he himself was a true big-bad.

Not to mention we still have very big set-ups for both Ur's daughter and the disapearance of the dragons (which has been set up since chapter 1)

Not to mention the Dark Mage's creations seem to be causing trouble at every turn.
Considering their have only been 4 Main arcs so far, 3 of them have involved one of Zeref's creations, the only one that didn't involved the assault on Fairy Tail, and that brought up the issue of the Dragons once more (which may be connected)
Old 2008-08-29, 08:19   Link #354
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Pshraw~ There's plenty of other antagonists to choose from. I mean, my money's on Lexus leaving FairyTail and making his own guild - Marakov is NOT going to like having to go up against his own grandson.

There's also 'That Geezer' - whom we've never even seen yet and a host of other guilds out there as well. There's like 4-5 guilds per country and we don't know how many countries there are. It's a fair-sized world, let's give it time to develop.
Old 2008-08-29, 10:44   Link #355
TrueKnight

Haha! She's alive! Natsu went GAR and carried her out from a fricking aetherion nuke. My Natsu x Erza was somewhat granted in this one eventhough it seems platonic. But who cares?
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-29, 17:44   Link #356
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

FT will never be on OP level of awesomeness not matter what Mashima does.

http://icandoit.mybrute.com - fight me !!
Majek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-29, 18:00   Link #357
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majek View Post
I agree. i dammn hope this series has an ENDING

I can't stand series that ramble on for too long and then dribble off with a wimper...

Old 2008-08-29, 18:43   Link #358
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
I agree. i dammn hope this series has an ENDING

I can't stand series that ramble on for too long and then dribble off with a wimper...

I didn't know we changed topics

http://icandoit.mybrute.com - fight me !!

Last edited by Majek; 2008-08-29 at 18:58.
Majek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-29, 19:06   Link #359
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majek View Post
True, it's a shame but still Mashima's own fault for drawing out too many similarities. The first time i checked out FT i was like most other people 'alright that looks familiar' but it were the differences (call them slight if you want) that made me more excited about it than OP nowadays.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 03:01   Link #360
MooMooFarm

Quote:
1/4? Don't believe I have read it.
I'm replying to your own statement. 1/4th the bad guys in a series being interesting and cool is far better than FT's rate of cool bad guys. Like I said, the only bad guys remotely interesting that you can go "hey I feel this guy is truly FT" is like, Iron Dragon.

Quote:
OP is also ungodly long, and spends an inordinary amount of time making their bad guys as freaky as possible. That is generally the reason OP bad guys are interesting; and for the record, Ikagura was quite memorable considering how defensless Erza's battle with her and her general character design.
Err, maybe? I honestly just remembered her the moment you mentioned her. Like I said, there are a lot of UNFAIR factions, like how OP is long and how it has an anime. However, it's just like comparing Linux to Windows, even though it's UNFAIR to judge Linux as a failure to the corporate titan, it's STILL a failure when you just plain compare.

As for OP spending lots of time on the bad guys, that's because the guy cares. Do you know how fake wrestling works? It's pretty amazing, cause as CRAPPY and STUPID as it is, they still manage to rake in more dough than most of these anime series people that work on them. Wanna know the connection? They both create STORIES. Weekly stories. And they build up their bad guys like crazy, though in varying qualities. I don't mind a bad guy that I won't see after a chapter, but I don't want 90% of my bad guys (WITH NAMES) to fall off the face of the earth before the arc even ends.

Quote:
FT villians are short and sweet, OP villians drag on for an entire arc.
And that's where it's sad =/ cause then it's just a cheap video game story. I highly doubt even the enemies in series like Gantz and Vagabond where they can display more action and gore can entice your memory over a long period of time if they are just glorified cannon fodder.

Quote:
The entire Arc about Gray's past? Lluvia's doubts over her being a worthy Nakama while battling Lucy? Erza's hesitation to finish of Gerard, the man she loved?
Those aren't good examples. Let me simplify each example in their category.

Gray arc: PAST COMES BACK TO HAUNT ME. BEING THE "COOL SASUKE KID" THAT I AM, I MUST GO ALONE AND BE A JERK INITIALLY WHEN NARUTSU COMES HELP, BUT I ULTIMATELY ACCEPT IT.

Lluvia vs Lucy CHAPTERS not ARC: A MINI-SEGMENT that was FORCED due to someone's ABILITY therefore just giving the mangaka a cheap way to give rise to Lluvia's self issues. You want an analogy? It's like some kid crying over how he sucks at math just because NOW all of a sudden there's a math contest for his favorite bike. It's not even him FAILING math or anything, it's just something RANDOM came up and he just HAD the problem anyway. It wasn't going to KILL her if this didn't happen.

Erza and Gerard: They were never in the same faction. This is like saying Jiraiya vs Orochimaru = INNER CONFLICT. Ummm NO? You are talking about the main baddie for like HALF of naruto. What about Gerard? Oh wait the main baddie for ALL OF FT SO FAR.

Inner conflict doesn't have to be full of hate, full of teenage angst, and most importantly, generally is just a big fat excuse to see KEY WORD HERE "UNRESTRAINED" action between characters of the same faction. Ever wonder, GEE WHO'D WIN IRON MAN OR SPIDER MAN? BATMAN OR SUPERMAN? This is inner conflict. It doesn't HAVE to get ugly, but it can. It's all about the ego. That's what makes it SHONEN.

Quote:
We don't even know if Gerard was truly a big cheese or not; he could well be akin to early OP villians who were really small fry in the big scheme of things. Sure he had a plan that involved reviving one of the most feared mages in history, but that doesn't mean he himself was a true big-bad.
Umm, it doesn't matter. He IS the big cheese UP to that arc. Is Orochimaru the big cheese now? No. But WAS HE A BIG CHEESE? Yes. Hell CROCODILE was a big cheese for all I care, because he was like BIG compared to everything Luffy faced.

What makes up a big cheese? It's when you first get to see a guy in a league of his own and while there might be peers that rival him or even greater players, as long as he is at that point the only person shown to the viewers, HE IS THE BIG CHEESE. I mean, do you go SEPHIROTH IS NOT THE BIG CHEESE, CLEARLY IT WAS JENNOVA OR WHATS HIS FACE. Uhhh NO? Sephy IS THE BIG CHEESE for pretty much MOST of FF7. In fact, even Don Krieg could be the big cheese, because he was the best there was in East Blue. He'd stomp any baddie like Buggy or that Fat chick or the Claw guy.

Just remember, as much foreshadowing you can do, you still have to make your current arcs interesting. FT's best arc so far definitely was versus the other guild, as it gave us a perspective of how GUILDS work in action (otherwise there's no point in even having a guild system in the story). The rest were just run of the mill "OH HEY LETS GO ON AN ADVENTURE" and something always slightly is connected. You can even think of it this way, if FT story was turned into a game, how fun would each arc be? How fun would you have fighting against the bosses and their weird moves? While OP certainly isn't a lot better than FT for an AVERAGE (HERE'S WHERE I TELL YOU ALL I'M NOT HATING ON FT >.>), over the long ass course of it, he's shown some good fights. FT NEEDS those, since it still has weaknesses that OP cover (LIKE HOW LUFFY IS INFINITELY COOLER THAN NATSU T_T DESPITE BEING INFINITELY STUPIDIER IN CONCEPT THOUGH IF YOU WANNA GET INTO THAT PLZ INQUIRE IT'LL TAKE ANOTHER SPAM POST T_T)

Quote:
Pshraw~ There's plenty of other antagonists to choose from. I mean, my money's on Lexus leaving FairyTail and making his own guild - Marakov is NOT going to like having to go up against his own grandson.
As possible as that is, he still doesn't count as a bad guy yet you know T_T I mean if that were the case, we can ALL BE SUSPICIOUS OF HOI HOI THE MIGHTY PANDA BEING THE LAST BOSS OF GANTZ.

Quote:
There's also 'That Geezer' - whom we've never even seen yet and a host of other guilds out there as well. There's like 4-5 guilds per country and we don't know how many countries there are. It's a fair-sized world, let's give it time to develop.
Time is nice, and I use to think that way. Then I read Mx0. GOOD GOD ARE PEOPLE ON CRACK.

Quote:
This is where you are wrong. I wouldn't bother spazzing so much on a series that has NO chance to beat it's rival. While FT is pretty much a rip off in a sense for style and concepts, it has moments where it completely owns it's predecessor.

Example, the FIRST DAMN CHAPTER. Animated or not, I was not exactly in AWE over Luffy being stretch armstrong. I mean, sure it was kind of o.O but I wasn't like HAHA awesome He OWNED THEM. Do you remember FT's intro chapter? They pulled the cliche "I AM THE RUMORED GUY BUT IM TOO STUPID/ETC REASON TO KNOW AND THEN I OWN THIS FAKE AS MY INTRODUCTION" and as CAPSLOCK as I get over it, it's STILL one of the best ways to make an entrance, or else it wouldn't BE CLICHE in the first place. Natsu has a much better edgy character that fits teens and adolescents more while Luffy is more family friendly. The only advantage Luffy has is that his moves/arsenal and how he evolves SYNERGIZES while Natsu just gets random generic moves that don't really make you feel like you understand how him and his powers/body works. FT does a lot of things better than OP, I just don't bother to state them, cause they are kind of T_T to explain. Like, it's sad but Lucy is by far the most in-depth explored power system character in FT. That's wrong.

Quote:
True, it's a shame but still Mashima's own fault for drawing out too many similarities. The first time i checked out FT i was like most other people 'alright that looks familiar' but it were the differences (call them slight if you want) that made me more excited about it than OP nowadays.
T_T well yeah, I think you kind of got it. Most series go back and forth during arcs up time and down time, so interests will shift. What my statements address are overall long term problems or problems with the grand design of things.

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, magic, shounen