AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Fairy Tail

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-06-15, 09:21   Link #8701
ImperialFlameGod8190
The Supreme General
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
The dynamic between Laxus Ivan and Makarov was shown back during laxus's rebellion. And how does it humanize him at all
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 09:40   Link #8702
Qilin
Romanticist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 23
^ And? Just because it was shown a bit earlier doesn't mean that it can't be developed further in a later chapter. That's what this chapter did. It revealed Ivan's goals and his resentment towards his own father much better than any other chapter that has been released so far.

So yes. I'd say this chapter does humanize his character quite a bit, as opposed to being some brooding villain in the background.
__________________
Damaged Goods
"There’s an up higher than up, but at the very top, down is all there is."
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 10:18   Link #8703
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
^ And? Just because it was shown a bit earlier doesn't mean that it can't be developed further in a later chapter. That's what this chapter did. It revealed Ivan's goals and his resentment towards his own father much better than any other chapter that has been released so far.

So yes. I'd say this chapter does humanize his character quite a bit, as opposed to being some brooding villain in the background.
"Daddy didn't love me enough...so I'm pulling a tantrum!"
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 10:21   Link #8704
Krono
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I think the most interesting theory I've seen proposed thus far (on another forum) is that when Ivan was blasting all those shikigami men at Laxus, he planted one on Laxus to eavesdrop. That his goal this fight was more to create a situation in which Makarov would trust Laxus more, and that Laxus would doubt Makarov and inquire further about Lumen Histoire. So that when Makarov revealed it's location to Laxus, Ivan would learn as well.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 10:22   Link #8705
Qilin
Romanticist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
"Daddy didn't love me enough...so I'm pulling a tantrum!"
We're not even sure if that's the case. Hell, I don't remember reading anything that implies that. And even if that was the case, it still undoubtedly puts the relationship between the characters in proper perspective.
__________________
Damaged Goods
"There’s an up higher than up, but at the very top, down is all there is."
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 10:27   Link #8706
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
We're not even sure if that's the case. Hell, I don't remember reading anything that implies that. And even if that was the case, it still undoubtedly puts the relationship between the characters in proper perspective.
That...was a joke :I
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 10:29   Link #8707
Qilin
Romanticist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
That...was a joke :I
Yeesh. Internet...

Pardon my misconduct.
__________________
Damaged Goods
"There’s an up higher than up, but at the very top, down is all there is."
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 10:32   Link #8708
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
Yeesh. Internet...

Pardon my misconduct.
The internet still loves you.
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 10:39   Link #8709
immblueversion
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Where you're not.
That chapter was way too satisfying for something so quick. Yet I seriously doubt we've seen the last of them. After all, what was their motivation to get Lumen Histoire? What was the deal with Flare's obsession with Lucy, beyond perhaps inadvertently giving Fairy Tail more reason to think they're after Lucy? And that imp that was with Obra...this might be a guess, but something tells me that thing might be the real Obra, and the rest of his body was some kind of puppet.

Anyway, Wendy vs. Shelia was to be expected. I'm very interested to see what Shelia can do, especially since Mavis is.

And yes, I read the raws that are available. Raven Tail is most definitely the one disqualified.
__________________
I'm not the boss.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 10:44   Link #8710
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Somewhere in the 11th dimension
They tripped ..... anyway I think RT is gonna be back. I'm hopeing they join forces with the Guards and the FT members get to fight them one on one again.
That being said i thought Sherry's entire family was killed by Deliora ... Mabey that girl isn't real.
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 10:54   Link #8711
DarkSkiper
Evil Mage
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: There...no, not there.Yes, there!
Age: 22
You know what?
No one can say that Laxus defeated Raven Tail without a scratch.... He did received two paper cuts from Ivan .
So now the only hidden badass is Bunny... The bunny guy will take on all the other teams in day 4 event and win! You will all see the power of Bunny!!!
But I start to think that it will be Wizard Saint and hopefully the strongest one... no way a weaker Wizard Saint could be a match for Jura or Laxus...
The other reason I want for the Bunny guy to be a Wizard Saint is so that we know more of their members and since the self-proclaimed weakest member is now at Gildarts level, the strongest one is really something to look foreword to .
DarkSkiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 11:00   Link #8712
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSkiper View Post
You know what?
No one can say that Laxus defeated Raven Tail without a scratch.... He did received two paper cuts from Ivan .
So now the only hidden badass is Bunny... The bunny guy will take on all the other teams in day 4 event and win! You will all see the power of Bunny!!!
But I start to think that it will be Wizard Saint and hopefully the strongest one... no way a weaker Wizard Saint could be a match for Jura or Laxus...
The other reason I want for the Bunny guy to be a Wizard Saint is so that we know more of their members and since the self-proclaimed weakest member is now at Gildarts level, the strongest one is really something to look foreword to .
The strongest is probably at around Makarov's level in his prime.
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 11:04   Link #8713
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Somewhere in the 11th dimension
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
The strongest is probably at around Makarov's level in his prime.
I wonder if Makarov is still a wizard saint or if they put him on the deceased list and replaced him.
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 11:05   Link #8714
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Well that was rather pathetic; really, Ivan supposedly knew laxus's weakness and yet he did nothing that seemed to exploit a weakness; unless he was talking about Obra in which case i would say "no duh. Taking away a mage's magic power is a weakness for almost anyone; Phantom Lord pulled that stunt AGES ago"; anti-fairy-tail guild my ass. worst; antagonists. ever.

No really this annoys me. Was this really what we were building up to for all these years? Ivan and Raven Tail may not have been related to the main plot of this series, but they did have significant build up as antagonists. But it doesn't seem to really go all that far... The simple fact that Ivan is related to makarov AND is a villian implies that he would be something of a big deal... Hell we were once told they were gonna go after laxus to use the source of his power to fund the build up of raven tail and it never happened. Gajeel acted as a double agent and yet nothing ever went wrong with his mission. And now... Raven tail has lost ALL credibility as a powerful enemy by loosing to Laxus. The ONLY thing that came of all this was the reveal that fairy tail has some deep dark secret, but frankly, that wasn't worth this amount of false build up; hints to fairy tail's secret could have instead been given to us by Hades and we could have saved ourselves a whole lot of time. Even Obra's little imp, if its supposed to lead to something else could have been worked in differently such as being part of Grimore Heart instead of Raven tail.


Frankly, like the time skip, i feel like this was one of the things that Mashima did not really plan on... He had bigger plans for Raven tail, like they were meant to get their own arc, but for one reason or another mashima had to scrap those plans... their role here in the magic games was really just so he could quickly wrap them up so he didn't have a hanging plot thread... really from the very beginning it felt like Raven tail was being shoe-horned into this current arc and that's how it still feels.
__________________
Slayerx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 11:08   Link #8715
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Somewhere in the 11th dimension
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Well that was rather pathetic; really, Ivan supposedly knew laxus's weakness and yet he did nothing that seemed to exploit a weakness; unless he was talking about Obra in which case i would say "no duh. Taking away a mage's magic power is a weakness for almost anyone; Phantom Lord pulled that stunt AGES ago"; anti-fairy-tail guild my ass. worst; antagonists. ever.

No really this annoys me. Was this really what we were building up to for all these years? Ivan and Raven Tail may not have been related to the main plot of this series, but they did have significant build up as antagonists. But it doesn't seem to really go all that far... The simple fact that Ivan is related to makarov AND is a villian implies that he would be something of a big deal... Hell we were once told they were gonna go after laxus to use the source of his power to fund the build up of raven tail and it never happened. Gajeel acted as a double agent and yet nothing ever went wrong with his mission. And now... Raven tail has lost ALL credibility as a powerful enemy by loosing to Laxus. The ONLY thing that came of all this was the reveal that fairy tail has some deep dark secret, but frankly, that wasn't worth this amount of false build up; hints to fairy tail's secret could have instead been given to us by Hades and we could have saved ourselves a whole lot of time. Even Obra's little imp, if its supposed to lead to something else could have been worked in differently such as being part of Grimore Heart instead of Raven tail.


Frankly, like the time skip, i feel like this was one of the things that Mashima did not really plan on... He had bigger plans for Raven tail, like they were meant to get their own arc, but for one reason or another mashima had to scrap those plans... their role here in the magic games was really just so he could quickly wrap them up so he didn't have a hanging plot thread... really from the very beginning it felt like Raven tail was being shoe-horned into this current arc and that's how it still feels.
The arc isn't even over, they may still be in it and heck as crafty as they seem getting disqualified and captured could have been part of the plan... while the story is still going on you can't really say they didn't amount to anything.
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 11:13   Link #8716
Bombo
TSF Fans
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Oi Oi ..Our loli fairy tail making scary face after she saw Ivan.!
Maybe for the dark history for the guild?
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 11:16   Link #8717
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Well that was rather pathetic; really, Ivan supposedly knew laxus's weakness and yet he did nothing that seemed to exploit a weakness; unless he was talking about Obra in which case i would say "no duh. Taking away a mage's magic power is a weakness for almost anyone; Phantom Lord pulled that stunt AGES ago"; anti-fairy-tail guild my ass. worst; antagonists. ever.

No really this annoys me. Was this really what we were building up to for all these years? Ivan and Raven Tail may not have been related to the main plot of this series, but they did have significant build up as antagonists. But it doesn't seem to really go all that far... The simple fact that Ivan is related to makarov AND is a villian implies that he would be something of a big deal... Hell we were once told they were gonna go after laxus to use the source of his power to fund the build up of raven tail and it never happened. Gajeel acted as a double agent and yet nothing ever went wrong with his mission. And now... Raven tail has lost ALL credibility as a powerful enemy by loosing to Laxus. The ONLY thing that came of all this was the reveal that fairy tail has some deep dark secret, but frankly, that wasn't worth this amount of false build up; hints to fairy tail's secret could have instead been given to us by Hades and we could have saved ourselves a whole lot of time. Even Obra's little imp, if its supposed to lead to something else could have been worked in differently such as being part of Grimore Heart instead of Raven tail.


Frankly, like the time skip, i feel like this was one of the things that Mashima did not really plan on... He had bigger plans for Raven tail, like they were meant to get their own arc, but for one reason or another mashima had to scrap those plans... their role here in the magic games was really just so he could quickly wrap them up so he didn't have a hanging plot thread... really from the very beginning it felt like Raven tail was being shoe-horned into this current arc and that's how it still feels.
Actually I like the theory that Raven Tail lost on purpose to both implant doubt into Laxus and allow Makarov to trust him enough to tell him what Ivan wants to know and that Ivan somehow implanted a "bug" on Laxus. If this turns out to be true, the loss is explained it actually turns out that Raven Tail isn't just muscle but also brain.

But yes, as it stands, while Laxus beating someone down like a boss was pretty awesome, Raven Tail was severely misused.
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 11:20   Link #8718
Meltyred
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPanda View Post
The arc isn't even over, they may still be in it and heck as crafty as they seem getting disqualified and captured could have been part of the plan... while the story is still going on you can't really say they didn't amount to anything.
Probably the guy who jumped away from Obra is one person sent to manipulate Raven tail into doing all of this.
And Laxus made short work of everything this chapter, being so heavily melee based and moving so fast...
Meltyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 11:37   Link #8719
orangejuicetang
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Age: 22
Anybody else notice the look Orca gave Laxus after the illusion got lifted. Somewhat mirrors the look Laxus gave Orca after he fired his lightning at the MPF. Really seems to be hinting towards a clash between the two.
__________________
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 11:43   Link #8720
Nvis
Senior
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Wait, why did the translations say that Fairy Tail B is disqualified????

Or was that a mistranslation?


I totally did not expect Laxus to 1-hit KO each RT member like that! What a power boost!
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, magic, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.