AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2014-06-13, 11:31   Link #12861
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
I don't freaking get it. What IS it with the Japanese and hair cutting. I've seen it countless times, is it a cultural thing?
I don't know about japan in particular, but there's a number of different things it can be used to symbolize.

I think cutting off your hair can symbolize a new beginning. I think it takes a few years to grow hair out that long, so when you cut it all off, its like starting over.

It may also be tied to old cultural understandings of femininity; in many cultures women were considered more beautiful with longer hair, and thus long hair had value... cutting it off is like throwing away something valuable. I guess you can say that by cutting off their hair, the character is saying they have found something more important.

I think it can also be seen as a sign of dedication; you cut off your hair for a cause and you are gonna be stuck with that short hair for the next few years. Every time you look into a mirror you will be reminded of that dedication.

If the hair is cut off unwillingly, then it can be a mark of shame or a violation against a person, since they lost something that took so much time and care to grow out.

Different cultures have different meanings for hair.
Old 2014-06-13, 11:59   Link #12862
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
I don't know about japan in particular, but there's a number of different things it can be used to symbolize.

I think cutting off your hair can symbolize a new beginning. I think it takes a few years to grow hair out that long, so when you cut it all off, its like starting over.

It may also be tied to old cultural understandings of femininity; in many cultures women were considered more beautiful with longer hair, and thus long hair had value... cutting it off is like throwing away something valuable. I guess you can say that by cutting off their hair, the character is saying they have found something more important.

I think it can also be seen as a sign of dedication; you cut off your hair for a cause and you are gonna be stuck with that short hair for the next few years. Every time you look into a mirror you will be reminded of that dedication.

If the hair is cut off unwillingly, then it can be a mark of shame or a violation against a person, since they lost something that took so much time and care to grow out.

Different cultures have different meanings for hair.
That, and Ezel kind of gave Wendy a quarter-bob already.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-13, 12:56   Link #12863
MAX_COLA_POWER!

In before in turning Minerva good, Hiro actually made her less popular with the fanbase^^;;.
Old 2014-06-13, 13:35   Link #12864
Nvis
Grumpy Senior

Now I hope Sayla turns good and actually join FT.

She can start a friendly/sexy rivalry with Mirajane.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-13, 15:07   Link #12865
the one above all

Wendy's twintails being cut off was the saddest part for me since I don't care much for Minerva's redemption. Like a few of the other people on this thread I don't care about her sob story.

At least Sting and Rogue have returned.
Old 2014-06-13, 15:40   Link #12866
Ggb81
Exemplary Character

Location: Yeah, just go straight to the middle of nowhere and there's me.
I know there's been a lot of hate for this chapter, and the Erza - Minerva fight was admittedly underwhelming, but let's look at the positive: The Twin Dragons! Unfortunately, I can't picture them actually beating the King of Hades since the CELESTIAL SPIRIT KING only managed to freeze him... Of course he directed a lot of his power at freeing fairy tail too so...

Still waiting for Gray and Silver, I guess? Let's see... how can we possibly put that off any longer... Jellal and OS will probably have to show up next and take a turn fighting the king... Then maybe Lyon and Chelia will show up to punctuate the we're focusing on Gray and Wendy... And what the heck; let's throw Kagura and the Milliana in too and have them be pissed at Minerva who we're supposed to like now... I think Laxus and the Lumen Historie (did I spell that right?) will be saved for the next sub-arc...

Also, Id like to note that if Minerva is seriously going to just turn good and rejoin Sabertooth... Why exactly was Jellal not allowed to have a legal guild? I dunno, maybe he doesn't want one, but at the GMG it seemed like people were still trying to put him in prison... So...

The twintails!! And did she just cut her hair with her hand? I wish I could do that...
Ggb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-13, 15:56   Link #12867
Houreki
more reader than writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopi View Post
RIP Wendy's twintails
Well at least we can say that the Minerva thing is finally over.
The twin dragons are back so, it's good to see them again.
Old 2014-06-13, 16:14   Link #12868
ellifeedn
Thinker

I wonder how many other guilds are coming to help deal with the situation.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-13, 17:49   Link #12869
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggb81 View Post
I know there's been a lot of hate for this chapter, and the Erza - Minerva fight was admittedly underwhelming, but let's look at the positive: The Twin Dragons!
If only we saw their return coming. I mean, I had a feeling they'd come back, but only because I wanted to see Sabertooth get involved and be badass, so it was more a lucky guess than anything. We also still haven't learned who will kill Frosch. In chapter 337, Future Rogue tells Natsu the identity of Frosch's killer, but we don't get to hear their name. This isn't in any scanlations, though, which pretty much has him tell Natsu, "Protect Frosch, or he'll be killed," when it should be "Protect Frosch, or he'll be killed by [spoilers!]."

Last edited by immblueversion; 2014-06-14 at 09:01.
Old 2014-06-13, 19:02   Link #12870
Casshern

Tbh I liked Erza's fight. Minerva got a satisfying, well deserved and long overdue smackdown. I did find it kinda sad when she asked Erza to kill her though, and when Maard Geer showed up I was worried about a sacrificial redemption, but I'm glad she was saved. She's no Ultear but I'm starting to have a soft spot for her.

Imo Minerva did a lot of things that earned her the readers' hate, but nothing she needed to be redeemed for. She played dirty with Lector and Milliana, but it was part of the game. She hurt Lucy more than she needed to, but it was a fight anyway, and it was payback for Natsu kicking up a shitstorm in saber tooth. I think Erza is right when she says that she acted for the sake of her guild.

As much as I like the twin dragons, their characters overlap with Natsu and Gray a bit too much imo. They have opposite powers, one is loud and outgoing wile the other is quiet and cool, basically a standard shonen duo that could just as easily have been Naruto and Sasuke (ugh...). I really want to see Natsu and Gray tag team a strong opponent, like Natsu and Gajeel vs Laxus. Natsu even got paired with Gajeel a second time vs the twin dragons, though Natsu messed that up.

Hoping for a good fight with Maard Geer, but I don't expect him to lose a second time in a row.

"Why did Wendy cut her hair?/No more twin-tails."
You all remember Ezel chopping off one of her twin-tails in their fight, right?

Last edited by Casshern; 2014-06-13 at 19:19.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-13, 19:55   Link #12871
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlia View Post
At least Wendy isn't pathetic.
Actually id say she pretty much is. and really much like sakura I don't think there was a fight wendy was in that you can say she was going to stand a chance in hell. Granted the only fight sakura might've won was the Ino fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
Hah hah, Wendy owns Sakura any day of the week, especially in personality and in just being plain likable.

Weakest of a powerful Trio
- Also one of the youngest mages in the story
The Healer of the Group
- That and she's also the Status Buffer (2x as useful)
Sticks to another member of power trio like glue
- She idolizes Natsu, but she also goes along with Lucy, Erza, and Cana on occasion as well.
Didn't bring anything to the fight but becoming an offensive powerhouse
- Again, age factor and being a pacifist before as well.
Always seems to be bailed out by other people
- You heartless B*****D! You wouldn't!?
Fought a stronger rival with similar powers to a draw
- ...okay, this is the ONLY point I'll concede that Sakura actually beats out Wendy. Sakura's fight ended better than Wendy's IMO.

But all in all, I think Wendy-tan is much better. Except for the loss of the hair. That was BAD.

And I'm glad that I'm not the only one who doesn't care for Minerva's lil sob story. She's earned WAAAY to many b***h points for me to even bat an eye. If Mashima had shown the montage of her crying just after Sting gut-punched Genma through, we all would have been 'Oh, THAT'S why she's such a b***h'; we would have given Genma 'Worst Father of the Year' award, and all would have been right in the world. But now - no, don't care about your story Minerva - cry me a river.
Oh, you already have...
I never said wendy was better or worse than sakura what I said was the comparisions between wendy and sakura are there I don't pick one over the other and tempest i'm not thinking as a fanboy i'm thinking logical argument there aint much difference (better or worse is pointless)
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 10:48   Link #12872
GundamFan

Well I'm glad they at least wrapped things up pretty much with Minerva it's dragged on long enough.
I've got feeling the twin dragon fanboys are going to be sorely disappointed I just don't see them getting win over someone like Hades.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 12:59   Link #12873
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan View Post
Well I'm glad they at least wrapped things up pretty much with Minerva it's dragged on long enough.
I've got feeling the twin dragon fanboys are going to be sorely disappointed I just don't see them getting win over someone like Hades.
Hades was but a mortal man playing with powers he didn't fully comprehend. The King of Hades, on the other hand...

Old 2014-06-15, 16:56   Link #12874
GundamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
Hades was but a mortal man playing with powers he didn't fully comprehend. The King of Hades, on the other hand...
That was mistake on my part meant King Hades although I don't the twin posers could beat either of them. They seem to be more talk then anything else.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 01:37   Link #12875
ranchan13

And still another chapter in which we cliff hang with Silver and Grey
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
ranchan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 01:47   Link #12876
_Misfit

One more week goddammit... One more week...
_Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 02:06   Link #12877
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchan13 View Post
And still another chapter in which we cliff hang with Silver and Grey
and that's why this chapter become so weak....

those two sabertooths are going down soon

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 05:08   Link #12878
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
and that's why this chapter become so weak....

those two sabertooths are going down soon
the chapter was weak because lets be honest they were never going to win the Face's were the most interesting thing really.
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 09:41   Link #12879
immblueversion

Funny, I completely forgot Erza sent a letter to Sting. Maybe that's why I was expecting them to come. Still don't like how Minerva turned good so fast; also still not sure it's genuine. Maybe that's why I think this chapter is a step up from last week. I'm not honestly expecting Sting and Rogue to win seeing how they're not from Fairy Tail; then again, Jura did beat Brain. It feels more like they're playing a part to hold him off so we can get to the real focus of this arc-in-an-arc.

Old 2014-06-20, 11:20   Link #12880
Chase

I find the Grey/Silver situation the most interesting thing going right now. Wish Hiro would stop teasing it but it looks like we will get something significant on it next chapter............hopefully.

No, Seed does not define what a Gundam show should be like.

Picking a Gundam over a Princess is not a bad idea, Princess+singing can get you killed
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, magic, shounen