AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-08-06, 03:53   Link #1
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

In the first battle of ORB

Why did they run of to the space ? i mean, they could have easilly sink all the EA fleet. All it took was for Kira and Athrun to go after ships when the druggie squad runs out of power/druggs.

I mean, im pretty sure they could have easilly blown up the entire fleet, but instead they run to the space and blow the place up
Old 2006-08-06, 04:06   Link #2
monster

They ran off to space because they decided they would try to do something to end the war and the battlefield was shifting towards space. As for why they didn't stay and fight the EA fleet any longer, it's because the cost became to high just to defend the mass driver.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 04:23   Link #3
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Not really agreed about the war stuff - they ran of to space and then started to think what to do :P
Old 2006-08-06, 04:31   Link #4
monster

Well they already had a goal, which is to end the war, and save their lives obviously. Of course they still have to think about what to do after going to space. But going there is what's important at that time.
Old 2006-08-06, 04:41   Link #5
Syn13
Sui Yein Ng 13

If this was the correct part of Gundam seed that I'm thinking of then Orb was done for already. Zaft was a bigger concern than the EAF since they have the Genesis(can't remember if Lacus and them know about it).
And I think almost all the Gundam series ended with a battle in Space.
Old 2006-08-06, 04:43   Link #6
monster

Skyfall was talking about the Orb battle on Earth.

And yeah, I guess tradition is another reason.
Old 2006-08-06, 05:38   Link #7
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall
Why did they run of to the space ? i mean, they could have easilly sink all the EA fleet. All it took was for Kira and Athrun to go after ships when the druggie squad runs out of power/druggs.
Because in SEED they hadn't gone total super robot yet, and two units by themselves weren't capable of taking out an entire naval task force with all of their covering fire, reserves and such.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 05:45   Link #8
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well, the druggies were doing a good job at sinking ORB fleet, so i dont see why not
Old 2006-08-06, 05:51   Link #9
monster

First, because the EA fleet chose to stay in the background for the most part. They were utilizing their newly developed mass produced mobile suits as the main mode of offense. And second, Orb was put on a defensive stand. They counter when they're attacked and they licked their wounds when EA temporarily retreat.
Old 2006-08-06, 06:16   Link #10
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall
Well, the druggies were doing a good job at sinking ORB fleet, so i dont see why not
But inbetween them they sunk less than a half-dozen ships. Also, if Kira and Athrun went for the EA fleet they would not only have to face a barrage of defensive fire and the EA reserves, they would leave the defending Orb forces alone to contend with the already attacking EA forces. When they weren't tied up by the druggies that was what they were fighting. There simply wasn't any opportunity for them to even attempt a strike at the fleet, and if they were to it would have been only for a strike against the flag ship and hope that whoever was #2 in the chain of command on the other ships would signal for a retreat then.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 06:27   Link #11
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
Because in SEED they hadn't gone total super robot yet, and two units by themselves weren't capable of taking out an entire naval task force with all of their covering fire, reserves and such.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 2006-08-06, 06:54   Link #12
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
Quoted for truth.

And I guess it's fun to see a nation pretty much "lose" in record breaking time. I don't think any nation in all of history get completely invaded in less than a week.
neodrag38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 11:50   Link #13
true_cricket
Zeonist

Send a message via MSN to true_cricket
Netherlands in 4 days in 1940 (10th-13th May)
Old 2006-08-06, 14:02   Link #14
Lollerpants
Lollerskates

Those darn Blitzkriegs.

Didn't they say Orb was going to lose anyways no matter what the effort was except it was basically to prolong it? (just after Athrun arrives).

Anyways about the shifrting to space, it probably was planned as it seemed inevitable and basically it was more of an escape (considering EAF would actually take longer to get there), so sorta like.. into hiding, temp.
Lollerpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 14:20   Link #15
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

But remember - when the druggies had to bail out Azrael ordered for EA forces to withdraw, saying they would get destroyed without the drugg squad out there. Thats why im thinking that Athrun and Kira could have pwned the EA fleet, had they put an effort to it. Heck, they could have atleast blow up the ship where the druggies land.

And in GSD - the second battle of ORB - after Freedom apeared Rey(I think it was Rey) says - we wont be able to win this battle if we dont take down that thing. So i gues it means one MS can make such a difference. Now im well avare that SF+GSD Kira> Freedom+GS Kira, but GS Kira also has Athrun and Justice for support, and i think the two of them could pull off quite a show.

I really doubt that EA ships are equiped with beam weaponry, and thus i doubt they could even harm Freedom and Justice (provided they would manage to hit them in the first place)
Old 2006-08-06, 14:33   Link #16
Lollerpants
Lollerskates

Hmmm... so you mean besides the fact that there wouldn't really be that dramatic insanity from Azrael if they took it out XP.

Probably just for the sake of plot. How long was it actually that the druggies had to rest? I'd say it might have to do with Athrun and Kira probably resting as well considering they were supposedto be on defense.. that's.. quite and interesting point though haha.
Old 2006-08-06, 14:44   Link #17
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Druggies didnt have to rest from lack of stamina - they needed more druggs and their suits needed to be recharged, while Justice and Freedom are happy sitting on their nukes. And Kira and Athrun were not tired - after the EA withdrawed they landed and met eye to eye - they looked as fresh as a lemon
Old 2006-08-06, 14:48   Link #18
Lollerpants
Lollerskates

Wasn't there a small segment when the Druggies were sort of "out of it" (well yeah, after thinking about it that was off drugs... lawl my mistake).

I guess speaking to your best friend from who knows how long ago comes before the country. Or it could be that whole "confirm that you're not secrelty here with ZAFT and then I have more people to deal with" type of thing.

Lemons don't usually remind me of fresh, haha.

Just curious but was PS turned off when Kira and Athrun were talking?
Old 2006-08-06, 14:59   Link #19
cloudedge

If I recall correctly after the first retreat... Orb was still trying to contact EAF to try to resolve the issue diplomatically...
Orb isn't a country that wants to go offense if given the choice... if they decided sneak an attack on the EAF force during their temporary retreat it would basically break any chance for a "talk"...
And Orb needed much of the time to regroup their units too... which is why they waited... by the time the second wave of attack came... Orb knew it was only a matter of time for them to lose control... Orb is just an island nation, and despite high tech MS, they only have so many soliders... compare to EAF which is basically the rest of the world... a long battle at Orb's front would only create more damage to Orb...

Uzumi knows EAF is really just out for the mass driver, so he would need to destroy it before Orb surrender... and because it's easy for a space ship to come back down to earth than to go up there on their own, he send his daughter, along with the others that will protect her out to space for their temporary safety and for the world.
cloudedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 15:01   Link #20
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Nah, the PS was on. In all honesty there is no reason for then to ever turn it off, its not like Freedom and Justice run out of power

Quote:
If I recall correctly after the first retreat... Orb was still trying to contact EAF to try to resolve the issue diplomatically...
Orb isn't a country that wants to go offense if given the choice... if they decided sneak an attack on the EAF force during their temporary retreat it would basically break any chance for a "talk"...
Im willing to bet that at that time Athrun wouldnt know anything that ORB wants, and it would be pretty clear that EA dont want any talks anyway.

It could be true however that if Athrun and Kira would destroy this fleet more would come, and they could burn down orb even without the ability to take down Kira and Athrun, simply because the two of them cant stop an entire army if its goal would be to destroy ORB. . (though i dont know - they would kill Azrael, and it was Azrael who wanted to attack ORB, the rest of EA leaders were not fond of the idea)