AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-08-11, 03:31   Link #2481
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
I'm not going to start saying which is better between the original TV series and Rebuild, because honestly they can be enjoyed for completely different reasons, though i do agree that if you want to get the best out of Rebuild, it's good to have previous knowledge from the TV series.

That said, the Rebuild films can be enjoyed without, though it's just my personal reference.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 09:11   Link #2482
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
That's a tremendously appalling way to watch this series. My elitist alarm is ringing, and it's time for me to be an elitist...

I cannot believe you have not watched the original before watching this one! The original grinds rebuild into the dust. Bah.

EDIT: Lol someone was not too happy with my quip about being an elitist.

My point about this is that even if you end up liking Rebuild better, I think the best way to truly appreciate it, or quite the opposite in my case, is to watch NGE first...
Well I agree that people should watch the tv series first but not because "it grinds rebuild into the dust". I think people should watch the show first because they'll enjoy the rebuild movies more by being aware of many missing details on this new adaptation (an acceptable price to pay considering the shorter time available in a movie).
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 11:18   Link #2483
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Well I agree that people should watch the tv series first but not because "it grinds rebuild into the dust". I think people should watch the show first because they'll enjoy the rebuild movies more by being aware of many missing details on this new adaptation (an acceptable price to pay considering the shorter time available in a movie).
As what I said in my last line of my post.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 11:48   Link #2484
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenOfTheMind View Post
Watching the 2 movies without any previous knowledge of neon genesis evangelion. I can say that they were one of the best anime movies i have ever seen. Sure there a lot of loose ends for a first time watchers but, i guess that adds to the suspense. The character development and depth really had me going, especially towards asuka.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
My point about this is that even if you end up liking Rebuild better, I think the best way to truly appreciate it, or quite the opposite in my case, is to watch NGE first...
I will have to agree with you 100% there. The first series sets the base and not only makes up for what's missing in the movies (ie: 1.11: Shinji getting punched at school all of a sudden, they should have added the scene of him saying he is the pilot). I watched the first series years ago and then just watched the movies. They were great. I just watched the series again (boy did I forget a lot),then watched the movies again. And they were better. Plus the changes and additions are cool to see.

There is also the fact that it's just awesome. One of the best series of all time, a ground breaker and mark setter for all anime in the past 15 years or so.

So, do your best to watch the first series.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 01:36   Link #2485
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: lost - with no intention to be found...
Age: 28
Well I think ive mentioned it already, but one of the better things of Rebuild is the stronger "punch" it has in some of the added scenes.

I mean the scene where Misato grabs onto Shinji's hand as a sign of support and Shinji in return squeezing it back...is what can i say...simply beautiful. First time watchers will see that as subtle, inconsequential moment but for original series veterans its like an oasis in a barren desert.

You need to see the series first before truly appreciating how awesome that little moment was. I hope to see more...!
__________________

All current Sig & Avy images coloured by me / Waking Dreams Studios
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 01:38   Link #2486
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Dreamer View Post
Well I think ive mentioned it already, but one of the better things of Rebuild is the stronger "punch" it has in some of the added scenes.

I mean the scene where Misato grabs onto Shinji's hand as a sign of support and Shinji in return squeezing it back...is what can i say...simply beautiful. First time watchers will see that as subtle, inconsequential moment but for original series veterans its like an oasis in a barren desert.

You need to see the series first before truly appreciating how awesome that little moment was. I hope to see more...!
If only Rebuild focused on such details a little more, and a little less on character destruction and Shinji's harem. Sigh.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 03:28   Link #2487
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
If only Rebuild focused on such details a little more, and a little less on character destruction and Shinji's harem. Sigh.
Personally i'm glad Rebuild didn't focus on the same formula as the TV series. A bit boring seeing something that's already been done 15 years ago in film format. Instead we got a whole new experience.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 07:21   Link #2488
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
If only Rebuild focused on such details a little more, and a little less on character destruction and Shinji's harem. Sigh.
I liked the added romance. Being the romance buff that I am, I was a little disappointed in the lack of it in the first series. Now, we get to see more of it. We have three romantically and socially inept teenagers in a triangle. You don't often see that many "broken" characters involved in a romance, so it was good to see that hashed out even if it had a harem feel to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Personally i'm glad Rebuild didn't focus on the same formula as the TV series. A bit boring seeing something that's already been done 15 years ago in film format. Instead we got a whole new experience.
Agreed. And the things that depress you are a little different too. I found there to be more "cheer" in the beginning too. I'm afraid things will inevitability go down hill, but for now they are good...which will make the down hill ride all the more painful.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 14:24   Link #2489
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
I have noway to actually confirm these rumors, but on MAL and /M, among other places, there have been rumors that during the production steps that they considered removing Asuka entirely from Rebuild, which lMO would explain why the narrative of this film is completely garbled.

Also Sadamoto said that they had no idea what they were going to do with Mari, as also evidenced by artwork featuring her in Eva plug suit 4 and 5 at some point.

Sigh..

Anyhow, a very funny comment about this movie that I would just like to share with you all...

"So, I feel that Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance is the Eva equivelant of Windows Vista. It promises improvements, showcases some interesting visuals and impresses at its surface, sadly it utterly fails at everything else it tries to achieve and will probably be remembered only for its shock and awe value. "

Last edited by Reckoner; 2010-09-22 at 15:04.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 14:49   Link #2490
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I have noway to actually confirm these rumors, but on MAL and /M, among other places, there have been rumors that during the production steps that they considered removing Asuka entirely from Rebuild, which lmao would explain why the narrative of this film is completely garbled.
Yeah i won't believe that until we have a source.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 15:56   Link #2491
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yeah i won't believe that until we have a source.
I can't believe that at all. She is a pivotal character; you need her just as much as you need Misato.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 17:13   Link #2492
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Well, there definitely was some worry that Yuko Miyamura couldn't return to Tokyo in order to play the role...but yeah...source, please?
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 17:39   Link #2493
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I have noway to actually confirm these rumors, but on MAL and /M, among other places, there have been rumors that during the production steps that they considered removing Asuka entirely from Rebuild,
Given what transpired, they should have just done that and not have Asuka at all. Either do it, or not. Or save her til movie 3. None of this half assed nonsense that is Asuka Shikinami.
Quote:
Also Sadamoto said that they had no idea what they were going to do with Mari,
I could have told you that. Neither character adds anything to the film. :/

I am being sarcastic. Kinda.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-23, 03:22   Link #2494
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I can't believe that at all. She is a pivotal character; you need her just as much as you need Misato.
Yeah. Basically it just sounds like something a none Asuka fan would make up.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-23, 14:52   Link #2495
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I can't believe that at all. She is a pivotal character; you need her just as much as you need Misato.
Apparently you were proven very wrong in Rebuild 2.0, as there is a hardly a trace of the original Asuka.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-23, 20:23   Link #2496
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
Highly debatable, as proven by so many different POV's right here in this thread...
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-23, 20:48   Link #2497
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I can't believe that at all. She is a pivotal character; you need her just as much as you need Misato.
Doesnt seem so anymore

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/0...vangelion-2-0/

They were really ready to kill off Asuka as it seems and only Asuka fandom made them do the last second cut in and remove the scenes, stelling with just one-eye loss for Asuka.

It doesnt seem like they want Asuka or have any idea what they want to do with her thats why wanted to kill her off in a gory way as she could at least serve as a shock.

But again Shikinami is not Sohryu, Shikinami lacks the character depth that Sohryu had so the connection between her and other characters are weak just as well her connections to the viewers so I wouldn't care if this second-hand character would have died, because obviously they do not have enough time to develop both now split Sohryu's sides so they had to either remove typical tsundere Shikinami or Mari but removing Mari would feel even more retarded as her character has no development and farnkly no place in NGE so far, so the best excuse was to remove Asuka, but the fandom went against it...

So now they still try to fit them both... But frankly they should have just made it one character instead of two, either keep just Mari or just Asuka now neither of them have enbough focus and feel forced into the story without many strings attaching them to other characters and the plot and no character development either...
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-23, 21:47   Link #2498
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Doesnt seem so anymore

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/0...vangelion-2-0/

They were really ready to kill off Asuka as it seems and only Asuka fandom made them do the last second cut in and remove the scenes, stelling with just one-eye loss for Asuka.

It doesnt seem like they want Asuka or have any idea what they want to do with her thats why wanted to kill her off in a gory way as she could at least serve as a shock.

But again Shikinami is not Sohryu, Shikinami lacks the character depth that Sohryu had so the connection between her and other characters are weak just as well her connections to the viewers so I wouldn't care if this second-hand character would have died, because obviously they do not have enough time to develop both now split Sohryu's sides so they had to either remove typical tsundere Shikinami or Mari but removing Mari would feel even more retarded as her character has no development and farnkly no place in NGE so far, so the best excuse was to remove Asuka, but the fandom went against it...

So now they still try to fit them both... But frankly they should have just made it one character instead of two, either keep just Mari or just Asuka now neither of them have enbough focus and feel forced into the story without many strings attaching them to other characters and the plot and no character development either...
Oh, for heaven's sake. That's not what the article says.

Asuka fandom saving Asuka? Says who? I saw the movie a week after it opened, and the Asuka retrieval scene and the eyepatch bit in the preview were both there. How could the "Asuka fandom" have saved her before anyone had seen the movie?

Besides, the scene presented in the storyboards is a bit more graphic than it ended up being, but it's still there in the movie:

Spoiler for Asuka torture:


This "revelation" changes nothing, except that they trimmed a second or two out of the movie.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-23, 23:28   Link #2499
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Oh, for heaven's sake. That's not what the article says.

Asuka fandom saving Asuka? Says who? I saw the movie a week after it opened, and the Asuka retrieval scene and the eyepatch bit in the preview were both there. How could the "Asuka fandom" have saved her before anyone had seen the movie?

Besides, the scene presented in the storyboards is a bit more graphic than it ended up being, but it's still there in the movie:

Spoiler for Asuka torture:


This "revelation" changes nothing, except that they trimmed a second or two out of the movie.
This revelation changes a lot - her whole face was peeled of in a guro manner which would either kiled her off or removed from any bigger role later on.

There was a turmoil about it within GAINAX and Asuka's fanbase (as it seems within the company as you know Sadamoto is Rei fanboy while there are others 'fan' of other females too) eventually turned it away due to the reason of Asuka fans potentially overreacting.

If you cannot see the difference in simple light exploding in the face and the whole face being peeled off leaving just a bloody mess of a face remaining after then I have nothing to talk with you.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-24, 00:02   Link #2500
Greg88
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Around
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
This revelation changes a lot - her whole face was peeled of in a guro manner which would either kiled her off or removed from any bigger role later on.
The skin from Shinji's face was also peeled off when he reached in to Zeruel's core when he was rescuing Rei. It's just a visual motif representing "loosing human form", i guess (something that Ritsuko states to be happening to both Shinji and Asuka when they get dragged into the dpeths of Eva-01's and Eva-03's cores, respectively).

For a franchise that is known to be pretty heavy on abstract, mind trippy sequences, people are taking this whole guro deal in an awfully literal manner. Symbolism much, people?

Also, that "Asuka fans throwing a fit" rumor was only mentioned on Sankaku Complex, and that's basically the tabloid/pornmag of anime news services.

Furthermore, talking about that face peeling scene without the dialog contained therein is completely wrong, so let me just post what's being said in the second part of this version (link to part 1, link to part 2) of said scene, since a fine fellow on EvaGeeks actually provided translations:

Quote:
The face of "Asuka with the torn off identity" speaks in Kaworu's (!!!!!) voice.
K: "It's not like you."
A: "Not like me?"
K: "Being happy doesn't fit you."
A: "My happy self is scary. // So let's go back to the usual me."

And then she takes her face back again.
So yeah, this sequence was intended as a mindscrew sequence representing a bout of insanity/identity crisis.

Last edited by Greg88; 2010-09-24 at 01:19.
Greg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
movie, remake

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.