AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2009-11-13, 11:04   Link #1701
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

I've just watched 2.0 as well, at Orchard Cineleisure. (I've only just discovered that there was supposed to have been an earlier release in September, which apparently didn't pan out. Well, lucky me then. I would have been fairly annoyed to realise that I missed that theatre screening.)

And since I went into the movie without prior knowledge of it being the point of divergence from the original TV series, it's fair to say I was very surprised by the many changes.

Was it all for the better? If I were a new viewer coming into the movie with no prior knowledge of the TV series, I would say: Yes, very much so! The action is faster paced; the character and mecha designs have a harder, more modern edge; and the use of CG is much better integrated this time round than in 1.0. It's definitely a cool mecha movie that fans of the genre would love.

But coming into the movie as an old fan, I have to admit that I'm slightly disappointed with franchise's new direction. Yes, I'm all for being open-minded and, yes, I do realise that the original is still out there if I do end up disliking Rebuild in its entirety. Still, I can't shake the feeling that this re-telling of the story dilutes the essence of what made the TV series groundbreaking for its time. The apparent changes to Asuka's backstory and personality, the as-yet cosmetic addition of a new character, along with all the other subtle changes to the plot make Rebuild a lot more accessible, true, but it comes at the expense of the original show's psychological depth.

In a way, I guess the original TV series is a victim of its own success. It subverted a genre usually associated with positive character development, to tell a story about existential angst that left a shocking impact which few other series have yet been able to achieve. Ironically, even if Rebuild were to stay entirely faithful to the original series, it probably wouldn't be able to recreate the same psychological effect it had on audiences over 10 years ago. After all, it's not just Anno who has changed — audiences, too, have changed. They've grown more jaded, and it would probably take a lot more to shock them today compared to back in the mid-1990s, when anime was not yet such an extensively global phenomenon.

All in all, gripes aside, I enjoy fan-service as much as any other fan. Evangelion may not be the same landmark experience any more, but that won't stop me from enjoying it. Not when it's still this good.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-13, 12:43   Link #1702
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I've just watched 2.0 as well, at Orchard Cineleisure. (I've only just discovered that there was supposed to have been an earlier release in September, which apparently didn't pan out. Well, lucky me then. I would have been fairly annoyed to realise that I missed that theatre screening.)

And since I went into the movie without prior knowledge of it being the point of divergence from the original TV series, it's fair to say I was very surprised by the many changes.

Was it all for the better? If I were a new viewer coming into the movie with no prior knowledge of the TV series, I would say: Yes, very much so! The action is faster paced; the character and mecha designs have a harder, more modern edge; and the use of CG is much better integrated this time round than in 1.0. It's definitely a cool mecha movie that fans of the genre would love.

But coming into the movie as an old fan, I have to admit that I'm slightly disappointed with franchise's new direction. Yes, I'm all for being open-minded and, yes, I do realise that the original is still out there if I do end up disliking Rebuild in its entirety. Still, I can't shake the feeling that this re-telling of the story dilutes the essence of what made the TV series groundbreaking for its time. The apparent changes to Asuka's backstory and personality, the as-yet cosmetic addition of a new character, along with all the other subtle changes to the plot make Rebuild a lot more accessible, true, but it comes at the expense of the original show's psychological depth.

In a way, I guess the original TV series is a victim of its own success. It subverted a genre usually associated with positive character development, to tell a story about existential angst that left a shocking impact which few other series have yet been able to achieve. Ironically, even if Rebuild were to stay entirely faithful to the original series, it probably wouldn't be able to recreate the same psychological effect it had on audiences over 10 years ago. After all, it's not just Anno who has changed audiences, too, have changed. They've grown more jaded, and it would probably take a lot more to shock them today compared to back in the mid-1990s, when anime was not yet such an extensively global phenomenon.

All in all, gripes aside, I enjoy fan-service as much as any other fan. Evangelion may not be the same landmark experience any more, but that won't stop me from enjoying it. Not when it's still this good.
Totally agree on the fact that the character development although subtley changed is one for a real dramatic shift. The development is more haremistic then in the tv series, and a lot of the darker undertones are removed. I have to say on a technical aspect it was a great step up, but in maintaining the same atmosphere in the tv series and movie this movie fell flat. Of course I wouldn't mind for a happy ending to Eva but still I feel that in the way the characters are developed, they really are averting fate in the sense, that their characters are ones that could never find happiness, the notion that messed up people could save the world was one of the appeals of eva when I first watched it.
Spoiler:
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-13, 14:06   Link #1703
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Forced? It might as well have the entire purpose and meaning (or at least one of its countless ones) of the said ending, production trainwreck and anti-Anno snide comments aside.

Spoiler:

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 20:58   Link #1704
ichobi

I know some people probably ask this question but I couldn't find after flicking through all the pages.
Anyone know when's the DVD release date for the 2.0? I really wish someone bring it to London for screening or something.
ichobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 01:48   Link #1705
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Generally, the DVD hits stores six months after the theater release date, so we should expect it somewhere around January-February.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 05:59   Link #1706
Kakkou
18歳腐った(?)少年

Though, I would wait a bit longer before doing an English release if I were the company, in case another 2.01 or 2.02 gets released with a few extra seconds of footage .
Kakkou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 13:13   Link #1707
Never Knows Best
Monochrome Like A Panda.

Send a message via AIM to Never Knows Best Send a message via MSN to Never Knows Best Send a message via Yahoo to Never Knows Best
I was wondering who has already picked up their copy of 1.01? I stupidly reserved it at Suncoast and had to wait till today to pick it up, instead of being awesome and going to get it a Best Buy where the had it on sale since last week.

Edit:

I am so happy.

Last edited by Never Knows Best; 2009-11-17 at 20:21.
Never Knows Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 02:20   Link #1708
AKnightWhoSaysNi!
Bring me a shrubbery!

Got it from best buy yesterday, sooo good.

Friend wants to come with for 2.0, and hasn't seen 1.0 yet, so perfect time for it to come out on DVD!
AKnightWhoSaysNi! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 08:42   Link #1709
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Still waiting for the darned DVD for 2.0 to be released. It'd be awesome of they included an English language sub track like some of the other companies these days, but it's too much to hope for really.
Old 2009-11-18, 09:11   Link #1710
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Still waiting for the darned DVD for 2.0 to be released. It'd be awesome of they included an English language sub track like some of the other companies these days, but it's too much to hope for really.
Well...think about it. 1.0 came out in theaters on September 1, 2007. I saw it in aa big, first-run movie theater in early November, and then at a cheaper, more run-down theater at the end of December. I don't think it was playing anywhere after New Years. And then the DVD came out in...what, April? May? Somewhere around there.

I haven't picked up the American 1.01 DVD yet...I'm trying to decide if I should get it, or wait for 1.11 to come out. I have the deluxe Japanese edition of 1.01...is the picture on the U.S. version as dark as it was on that?
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 10:58   Link #1711
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKeen View Post
Oh my,right away sir!
But will this work? Can't wait to watch it =/ if it even releases
reread the thread. Seems that Cathay is bringing in Eva 2.0 next year lol. If I had known I've done this petition earlier ;3

Now to force a friend of mine to cosplay Asuka during the screening...

Tsundere Asuka is a Turn On. No one can deny that faggots!
linkinstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 11:22   Link #1712
RisArk

The R1 is dark as the japanese one.
RisArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 17:23   Link #1713
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisArk View Post
The R1 is dark as the japanese one.
*sigh*

I figured as much. Thanks.
Old 2009-11-18, 17:39   Link #1714
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The blu-ray won't be released here until March, so it's quite the wait for me. Sure i could just import the U.S. DVD version, though i'd rather wait for the blu-ray.
Old 2009-11-19, 13:11   Link #1715
JRendell
Manga Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to JRendell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
The blu-ray won't be released here until March, so it's quite the wait for me. Sure i could just import the U.S. DVD version, though i'd rather wait for the blu-ray.
Ditto, already on preorder from amazon.

Protip: Manga originals are
always better than Anime
adaptions.

-listening to-
-current desktop-

JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 15:10   Link #1716
AKnightWhoSaysNi!
Bring me a shrubbery!

Just got back from watching 2.0 in Waterloo.

I loved it. I completely loved it. The whole way through I couldn't stop thinking: "this is how it should have been..." You could really tell Anno was in a much happier mood when he made this movie.

Spoiler for 2.0:

Mira was really well done too, I was worried how a new girl might eat up screen time from the original characters, but including her played out really well. Let the story diverge but still stay in line with the original. I was happy that the scenes that were easily recognizable from the original series weren't just paying lip-service, they actually took the important scenes and made sure they stayed important.

Totally worth the money, the trip, and the mountain of assignments ignored to make it happen.

So happy.
Old 2009-11-23, 21:42   Link #1717
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnightWhoSaysNi! View Post
Just got back from watching 2.0 in Waterloo.

I loved it. I completely loved it. The whole way through I couldn't stop thinking: "this is how it should have been..." You could really tell Anno was in a much happier mood when he made this movie.

Spoiler for 2.0:

Mira was really well done too, I was worried how a new girl might eat up screen time from the original characters, but including her played out really well. Let the story diverge but still stay in line with the original. I was happy that the scenes that were easily recognizable from the original series weren't just paying lip-service, they actually took the important scenes and made sure they stayed important.

Totally worth the money, the trip, and the mountain of assignments ignored to make it happen.

So happy.
I really liked it, too. Funnily enough, the people who hate Mari and think she was useless tend to be big Asuka fans. But I'm a HUGE Asuka fan, and I thought Mari was awesome.
Old 2009-11-23, 22:42   Link #1718
arkxkra
全力全開

2.0 just watched at singapore, unexpected movie for me since I going there for AFA, once I know this movie is available, I know that I must watch it lol. Although before that already read some spoiler and the comment are so great, but after I watched it, it still made me go crazy, it damn awesome!!! Great play, great music/bgm.
Spoiler for 2.0:

Will watch again if it release in my country.
Old 2009-11-23, 23:34   Link #1719
AKnightWhoSaysNi!
Bring me a shrubbery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I really liked it, too. Funnily enough, the people who hate Mari and think she was useless tend to be big Asuka fans. But I'm a HUGE Asuka fan, and I thought Mari was awesome.
Asuka is #1 hands down! I certainly went in worried they would butcher my favourite character, but I really the Shinikami version.

Spoiler for Asuka 2.0!:

Mari served a very good purpose:

Spoiler for 2.0:
Old 2009-11-24, 04:44   Link #1720
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I've always been in the Rei camp, though i loved what we seen of Mari in the second film, and really enjoy her as part of the Evangelion franchise. Shame really, because i can see most of the Mari dislike being something along the lines of them not liking a new character in their favorite show.

But of course, my favorite part of 2.0 was the epic score. Still listening to it these days gives me shivers.

Tags
movie, remake