AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-07-29, 12:16   Link #1
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Manga magazine recommendation needed

Hi everyone. I'd like to have some recommendations on Japanese manga magazines.

Currently I buy Dengeki Daioh every month for leisure reading during my trip to school. But seriously, 500 pages a month are far from enough as I spend at least one hour a day on commuting. Therefore I would like to know if there are other similar magazines suitable to the taste of the general Dengeki-Daioh readers? I am considering Afternoon, since I am pretty interested in Mushishi. Nevertheless, the more suggestions for me to choose from, the better.

For your information, my favourite Daioh titles are Yotsuabato!, Kamichu and Kashimashi. I also enjoy Manabi Straight, Blood Alone and Gunslinger Girl very much. As for manga in general, my favourites are Aria and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.

Thank you very much in advance.




Dengeki Daioh: http://www.mediaworks.co.jp/special/daioh/
Afternoon: http://www.afternoon.co.jp


EDIT: Added the URLS to the official sites of the magazines
Doraneko is offline  
Old 2006-07-29, 13:10   Link #2
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
Dengeki Daioh: http://www.mediaworks.co.jp/special/daioh/
Afternoon: http://www.afternoon.co.jp


EDIT: Added the URLS to the official sites of the magazines
I see that you like seinen magazines and by the way I also love Dengeki Daioh very much I think its the best seinen manga magazine ever

Anyway I also recommend you Dengeki Comic Gao! (a great shounen manga magazine )

Shounen manga that got serialized in Dengeki Comic Gao! :

Pita-Ten, DearS, Gokujou Seitokai (The Best School Council), +Anima, Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo, Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, Speed Grapher, Eat-Man, Bakuretsu Hunters (Sorcerer Hunters), Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora.

Dengeki Comic Gao! tries to concentrates on a lots of manga for guys, like:
Cute manga for guys (Pita-Ten, +Anima, ...)
Action manga for guys (Speed Grapher, Eat-Man, ...)
Romance manga for guys (DearS, Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo, Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, ...)
Cute comedy/drama for guys (Gokujou Seitokai, ...)

Anyway its a great male oriented magazine that has a diversity of manga for guys; from cute to action to romance

Well, I would recommend you all MediaWorks magazine which are aimed at male otakus (Dengeki Daioh, Dengeki Comic Gao!, Dengeki Teioh, Dengeki Moeoh, Dengeki Maoh, Dengeki G's Magazine, Dengeki Hime and Dengeki Animaga).

If you are into bishoujo games I would recommend you Dengeki G's Magazine and Dengeki Hime (but both of these are not manga magazines, but Dengeki G's Magazine has a few manga serialized in it especially the moe~ yuri manga Strawberry Panic! a yuri manga thats aimed at males )

Well, thats it for now, I'll give you more recommendations later.

Edit: oops also I forgot Dengeki hp, a magazine that serializes light novels thats aimed at male otakus (its a seinen novel magazine).
__________________

Last edited by NeoSam; 2006-07-29 at 13:24.
NeoSam is offline  
Old 2006-07-29, 14:13   Link #3
BrassBird
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
My suggestion:

Shounen Ace (monthly)
http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/mag/ace/
https://wwws.kadokawa.co.jp/shop/mag...ist.php?tp=ace
Keroro Gunsou
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Ultra Jump (monthly)
http://ultra.shueisha.co.jp/
http://ultra.shueisha.co.jp/00_HP2/now_on/now_frame.htm
http://ultra.shueisha.co.jp/00_HP2/b...back_frame.htm
Steel Ball Run
Tenjou Tenge
Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita)

Young Animal (biweekly)
http://www.younganimal.com/
Berserk
Chokotto Sister
__________________
Sorry for my poor English skill.
BrassBird is offline  
Old 2006-07-29, 14:31   Link #4
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassBird
My suggestion:

Shounen Ace (monthly)
http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/mag/ace/
https://wwws.kadokawa.co.jp/shop/mag...ist.php?tp=ace
Keroro Gunsou
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Ultra Jump (monthly)
http://ultra.shueisha.co.jp/
http://ultra.shueisha.co.jp/00_HP2/now_on/now_frame.htm
http://ultra.shueisha.co.jp/00_HP2/b...back_frame.htm
Steel Ball Run
Tenjou Tenge
Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita)
You have a great taste in manga BrassBird I was going to recommend both of these magazines later

Shounen Ace also serializes NHK ni Youkoso! manga so I highly recommend this magazine
__________________
NeoSam is offline  
Old 2006-07-29, 16:26   Link #5
stpehen
kisses for all
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ぶちゅー!
Age: 30
As far as Afternoon goes, it's less moe than Daioh but has a good range of material and is absolutely huge.

My own personal favorite is Ikki, which is Shogakukan's answer to Afternoon (several artists such as Iou Kuroda and Mohiro Kitoh have done series in both magazines) but it's on the shorter side. And if you're more interested in the moe/otaku side like Dengeki stuff it might not have much to your taste. At any rate it's got a huge range of styles in one magazine so I bet there's a good chance something might catch your eye.
__________________
stpehen is offline  
Old 2006-07-29, 16:59   Link #6
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
I would also like to recommend another seinen magazine published by Shogakukan:

Sunday GX (Sunday Gene-X)
http://websunday.net/gx/

Some serialized manga in it:
BLACK LAGOON
Binbo Shimai Monogatari
Chevalier
Girls Saurus DX
REC
Shin Angyo Onshi
__________________
NeoSam is offline  
Old 2006-07-30, 12:29   Link #7
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Thank you very much for all your suggestions. I didn't know there are so many nice manga magazinesavailable. How good it would be if I could be in Japan and flip through all them to see which suits my taste most.

Dengeki Gao and Shounen Ace seems to be pretty nice - yet it also means that it is no easy task to make a choice . I personally like cute/moe/slice-of-life stuff, as long as they don't go too explicit in graphic and content, and don't treat fanservice as its only selling point (eg Prism Ark in D. Daioh). Can anyone who have read both can shed some light for me, base on my manga interests listed in the first post?

For Sunday GX, back in April I got an outdated issue (Nov 05) for about $3 from a Japanese book store. I quite like Binbou Shimai Monogatari. But some of the remaining stories are a bit explicit for my taste.

As for Ikki, I am now reading the first chapters of the serialized manga available in its official site. I will leave my comments till later, but I love the cute the cover of the September issue. :P

And thanks for mentioning the novel magazines! Light novels are pretty amusing too. I have a full collection of Kino and is planning on collecting Shinigami no Ballad. As far as the novel magazines go, I only know about Dengeki HP and Sneaker. How different are the two and which do you think is better? Also, are novel magazines are of nothing but novels alone? Since I usually read magazines on buses, the tiny words may be a bit problematic.


Random stuff : Today I met a friend in the street when I was holding Dengeki Daioh in my hand. He got interested in the thick book, took it and flipped through the first few pages. His eyes turned completely round when he saw the beach girl poster and the K-book ad, mumbling, "heck I never knew you have such kind of interest "...

Last edited by Doraneko; 2006-07-30 at 12:39.
Doraneko is offline  
Old 2006-07-30, 14:04   Link #8
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
Answers + some info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
Thank you very much for all your suggestions. I didn't know there are so many nice manga magazinesavailable. How good it would be if I could be in Japan and flip through all them to see which suits my taste most.

Dengeki Gao and Shounen Ace seems to be pretty nice - yet it also means that it is no easy task to make a choice . I personally like cute/moe/slice-of-life stuff, as long as they don't go too explicit in graphic and content, and don't treat fanservice as its only selling point (eg Prism Ark in D. Daioh). Can anyone who have read both can shed some light for me, base on my manga interests listed in the first post?
Shounen Ace has its share of Moe~ness (Suzumiya Haruhi manga), but compared to the amount of Moe~ness in Dengeki Comic Gao! its absolutely nothing >.< so Dengeki Comic Gao! definitely wins on the moe~ness part.
But as expected from a magazine for male otakus, it has its share of fanservice (well, I quite like the fanservice (to a certain point; meaning no exaggeration) from both Dengeki Comic Gao! and Dengeki Daioh magazines).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
For Sunday GX, back in April I got an outdated issue (Nov 05) for about $3 from a Japanese book store. I quite like Binbou Shimai Monogatari. But some of the remaining stories are a bit explicit for my taste.
Wow >.< currently Binbou Shimai Monogatari is my favourite moe~ slice of life manga/anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
And thanks for mentioning the novel magazines! Light novels are pretty amusing too. I have a full collection of Kino and is planning on collecting Shinigami no Ballad. As far as the novel magazines go, I only know about Dengeki HP and Sneaker. How different are the two and which do you think is better? Also, are novel magazines are of nothing but novels alone? Since I usually read magazines on buses, the tiny words may be a bit problematic.
I'm not a reader of novel magazines, but I might start soon (hopefully as soon as I can) >.<

There are male oriented novel magazines and female oriented novel magazines.
I'll mention some of them here:

Male oriented magazines are in blue and the female oriented magazines are in red

Male oriented novel magazines:
Dengeki hp
The Sneaker
Dragon Magazine
2D Dream Magazine (a magazine that serializes adult light novels, a magazine thats aimed at adult males)

Female oriented novel magazines:
The Beans
Cobalt
Shousetsu Wings
Charade (BL light novels and manga)
Shousetsu Hanamaru (BL light novels)
Shousetsu Aqua (BL light novels)
Shousetsu Dear+ (BL light novels)
Shousetsu Chara (BL light novels)
... (and more that I might have missed)

I have no interest in female oriented light novel magazines, so any question about those, I won't be able to give you any answer about them.
But its also very sad that there are only 4 light novel magazines for males but they are more than enough since many great shounen/seinen anime based on light novels came from these magazines (and their associated male oriented labels: Dengeki Bunko, Sneaker Bunko, Fujimi Fantasia Bunko, Fujimi Mystery Bunko and 2D Dream Bunko)

I'll mention some anime that got based on male oriented light novels:
Shakugan no SHANA
Kino no Tabi
The Slayers
Maburaho
Trinity Blood
Suzumiya Haruhi
Full Metal Panic
The Third
... (and many many more thats the greatness of these few male oriented novel magazines and their associated light novel labels )

Well, that got far away from what you asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
Also, are novel magazines are of nothing but novels alone?
No, some novel magazines serialize few manga in them, for example: Dengeki hp magazine is serializing a manga thats based on a light novel (Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo!) which is also getting an anime Yay! (I think its the only manga thats serialized in it).

2D Dream Magazine has adult light novels serialized in it, but also a few adult manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
Random stuff : Today I met a friend in the street when I was holding Dengeki Daioh in my hand. He got interested in the thick book, took it and flipped through the first few pages. His eyes turned completely round when he saw the beach girl poster and the K-book ad, mumbling, "heck I never knew you have such kind of interest "...
Ahh, I suggest not to let anyone see this magazine, Dengeki Daioh is a magazine thats aimed at male otakus, and not a magazine for a general audience. you should be thankful he didn't look at shakugan no SHANA manga and called you a pedophile just be careful to whom you give this magazine to >.<

Anyway, my favourite seinen magazine Dengeki Daioh I don't let anyone touch it
__________________
NeoSam is offline  
Old 2006-07-31, 12:37   Link #9
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Oh thank you very much for your detailed explanations on the novel magazines ! So far I have been a follower of Dengeki franchise so I may give HP a look when the next issue arrives.

As for the manga magazines, I think I am going to pick up a copy of Dengeki Gao, as well as a copy of Afternoon or Shounen Ace to see which suits me better. Btw how thick is Dengeki Gao? There doesn't seem to be many manga titles (about 14) in serialization when compared to other similar magazines.

Well for the case of my friends, most probably he has already been thinking that I am a pedo. The first page of the Sept issue is about the Shana figure in the swimsuit-loli mode, which will be released as a bundled gift with the October issue. The worst part is that there are also ads for the mail-order "Deredere version" Shana figures on that page, with pretty indecent poses...

Trivia from Wikipedia Japan:
元々はバンダイが発行していた漫画雑誌『サイバーコミックス』に端を発する。サイバーコミックスは1988 年に創刊され、『メディアコミック・ダイン』へとリニューアルした後、それを発展解消する形で1994年に 季刊誌「コミック電撃大王」として創刊。のちに隔月化→月刊化を経て、現在の誌名「月刊コミック電撃大王」 となる。創刊当時から月刊化前までは青年誌扱いで登録されていた。現行は少年誌だが、ルビがないのはそのため。

Maybe it is better to refer Dengeki Daioh as a shounen magazine from now on . Though it does take time to get rid of my stereotypical view that shounen is nothing but tsuyoku naritai crap.
Doraneko is offline  
Old 2006-07-31, 14:43   Link #10
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
Oh thank you very much for your detailed explanations on the novel magazines ! So far I have been a follower of Dengeki franchise so I may give HP a look when the next issue arrives.

As for the manga magazines, I think I am going to pick up a copy of Dengeki Gao, as well as a copy of Afternoon or Shounen Ace to see which suits me better. Btw how thick is Dengeki Gao? There doesn't seem to be many manga titles (about 14) in serialization when compared to other similar magazines.
Read some info about it here:
http://www.jlist.com/PRODUCT/SS351

Anyway its a great shounen magazine

There are also a few manga in it that are based on male oriented light novels, like:
Inukami manga (based on a light novel thats serialized in Dengeki hp magazine)
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora manga (based on a light novel thats published under the male oriented label Dengeki Bunko)

Inukami has an anime, Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora has an anime, DearS has an anime, Pita-Ten has an anime, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
Well for the case of my friends, most probably he has already been thinking that I am a pedo. The first page of the Sept issue is about the Shana figure in the swimsuit-loli mode, which will be released as a bundled gift with the October issue. The worst part is that there are also ads for the mail-order "Deredere version" Shana figures on that page, with pretty indecent poses...
Don't tell me he saw those ads LOL if he starts avoiding you, then be sure that he's thinking you're a pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
Trivia from Wikipedia Japan:
元々はバンダイが発行していた漫画雑誌『サイバーコミックス』に端を発する。サイバーコミックスは1988 年に創刊され、『メディアコミック・ダイン』へとリニューアルした後、それを発展解消する形で1994年に 季刊誌「コミック電撃大王」として創刊。のちに隔月化→月刊化を経て、現在の誌名「月刊コミック電撃大王」 となる。創刊当時から月刊化前までは青年誌扱いで登録されていた。現行は少年誌だが、ルビがないのはそのため。

Maybe it is better to refer Dengeki Daioh as a shounen magazine from now on . Though it does take time to get rid of my stereotypical view that shounen is nothing but tsuyoku naritai crap.
I'm not that into shounen manga myself, even though there are a few shounen manga that I love, but mostly I'm into seinen manga ^^

Anyway, don't always trust the japanese wiki, there are mistakes there as there are also mistakes on the the english wiki.

Anyway, according to J-Magazine, a site that mentions japanese magazines, Dengeki Daioh is not a shounen magazine. J-Magazine mentions magazines according to what the publisher of the magazine told them, so if it says that Dengeki Comic Gao! is a shounen magazine, then thats what it is according to the publisher.

Here are the male oriented magazines (including male oriented manga magazines):
http://www.j-magazine.or.jp/data_001/main_b.html

And as you can see Dengeki Daioh is not listed under the shounen manga magazine list.

So Dengeki Daioh is a seinen manga magazine

Dengeki Comic Gao! is a shounen manga magazine but I still love it
__________________
NeoSam is offline  
Old 2006-08-01, 13:16   Link #11
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
Read some info about it here:
http://www.jlist.com/PRODUCT/SS351

Anyway its a great shounen magazine
Oh thanks for the link which reminds of the rubi (where did the word originate from anyway?) available in Shounen magazines. It is always great to have furigana around from a junior Japanese learner's point of view. I will probably choose it over Afternoon just for the furigana .

Quote:
There are also a few manga in it that are based on male oriented light novels, like:
Inukami manga (based on a light novel thats serialized in Dengeki hp magazine)
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora manga (based on a light novel thats published under the male oriented label Dengeki Bunko)

Inukami has an anime, Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora has an anime, DearS has an anime, Pita-Ten has an anime, ...
Sounds like a decent line-up. Among these the one that I am the most familiar with is HanTsuki and its 6-episode anime. DearS (already ended?) and Inukami is okay as long as they keep the fanservice in check. Pita-ten looks pretty cute and interesting from the scanlations. Talking about the current light novel adaptations, I am a bit disappointed that there is no Kino manga available. Probably the source material has too much of a literate feel that inhabits it from flowing well in manga (the anime works anyway). And it would be great if Shinigami no Ballad is serialized in Gao instead of a certain Shoujo magazine.


Quote:
Don't tell me he saw those ads LOL if he starts avoiding you, then be sure that he's thinking you're a pedophile
Heh it is probably a bad idea to read these magazines outside my home. Reading them in public does make one looks like a nerd. But I don't really have much free time at home, and probably it would be worse to read them in front of my parents .

Quote:
Anyway, according to J-Magazine, a site that mentions japanese magazines, Dengeki Daioh is not a shounen magazine. J-Magazine mentions magazines according to what the publisher of the magazine told them, so if it says that Dengeki Comic Gao! is a shounen magazine, then thats what it is according to the publisher.

Here are the male oriented magazines (including male oriented manga magazines):
http://www.j-magazine.or.jp/data_001/main_b.html

And as you can see Dengeki Daioh is not listed under the shounen manga magazine list.

So Dengeki Daioh is a seinen manga magazine

Dengeki Comic Gao! is a shounen manga magazine but I still love it
Oh I see. Thanks for the information and the link. A bit of a surprise that Afternoon sells only 130k copies a month, which is even less than Dengeki Gao (200k), let alone Dengeki Daioh (350k). I always thought that Afternoon and Dengeki Daioh are equally popular among otakus, as both are often being referred as the best seinen magazines. The figures for the Dengeki ones could be inflated since there is no printing proof. But for something like Gao which dedicates much to moe when compared to the large and diversified line-up of Afternoon, I would expect it to have a much narrower reader base. At best, I would imagine it to barely catch up with the figure of Afternoon. Surpassing its sales by over 50% is truly remarkable.
Doraneko is offline  
Old 2006-08-01, 15:43   Link #12
drgntig
i'm psychic.god says hi.
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: tucson arizona
Age: 22
where can i order japanese

seriousl i might sound like an idiotbut is there a sight where i can order japanese magzines.

please help me i'm desperate.
drgntig is offline  
Old 2006-08-01, 18:32   Link #13
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
Sounds like a decent line-up. Among these the one that I am the most familiar with is HanTsuki and its 6-episode anime. DearS (already ended?) and Inukami is okay as long as they keep the fanservice in check. Pita-ten looks pretty cute and interesting from the scanlations. Talking about the current light novel adaptations, I am a bit disappointed that there is no Kino manga available. Probably the source material has too much of a literate feel that inhabits it from flowing well in manga (the anime works anyway).
Yeah both DearS manga and anime have ended (they animated only the first 2 volumes >.< but its still better than nothing >.< )

And yeah I wish for Kino no Tabi manga too, and it would be really great if it gets serialized in Dengeki Comic Gao! or Dengeki Daioh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
And it would be great if Shinigami no Ballad is serialized in Gao instead of a certain Shoujo magazine.
I got pretty angry when I heard that a manga of Shinigami no Ballad is starting in a shoujo magazine its not like there's not enough shoujo/josei light novels, but still they took a light novel thats aimed at males and made a shoujo manga out of it

Shinigami no Ballad light novel is a light novel thats aimed at males, published under the male oriented light novel label Dengeki Bunko, but still they made a shoujo manga based on it

But still its not the first time they take male oriented light novels and make shoujo manga based on it, I'll give you some examples:

* Trinity Blood light novels are male oriented light novels, they got serialized in the male oriented magazine The Sneaker (they also got published under the male oriented label Sneaker Bunko) but still they made a shoujo manga based on them (got serialized in Asuka magazine)

* Ginban Kaleidoscope light novels are male oriented light novels, they got published under the male oriented label Super Dash Bunko, but still they made a shoujo manga based on it (got serialized in some shoujo magazine)

And probably other male oriented light novels that I don't know off, which also got the same treatment (making shoujo manga based on them).

There are "billions" of light novels thats aimed at females, but still they take light novels thats aimed at males and make shoujo or josei manga based on them

"Stop f**king taking male oriented light novels and making shoujo manga based on them", thats what I would like to tell them, there are many light novels for females, make shoujo manga based on those f**king novels and not on male oriented light novels.

Sorry for mentioning all this, but you hit a nerve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
Heh it is probably a bad idea to read these magazines outside my home. Reading them in public does make one looks like a nerd. But I don't really have much free time at home, and probably it would be worse to read them in front of my parents .
Yeah, its most likely worse to read them in front of your parents, you definitely don't want to get kicked out from your own home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
Oh I see. Thanks for the information and the link. A bit of a surprise that Afternoon sells only 130k copies a month, which is even less than Dengeki Gao (200k), let alone Dengeki Daioh (350k). I always thought that Afternoon and Dengeki Daioh are equally popular among otakus, as both are often being referred as the best seinen magazines. The figures for the Dengeki ones could be inflated since there is no printing proof. But for something like Gao which dedicates much to moe when compared to the large and diversified line-up of Afternoon, I would expect it to have a much narrower reader base. At best, I would imagine it to barely catch up with the figure of Afternoon. Surpassing its sales by over 50% is truly remarkable.
Ahh Dengeki Daioh has a circulation of 250K LOL, check that page again.

I do agree with them about Dengeki Daioh and Afternoon magazines, they are really great magazines. I'm not an Afternoon reader but still I watch anime that are based on manga that got serialized in Afternoon magazine, and I love these anime a lot (Mushishi, Oh My Goddess!, Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko (the reason I started reading the manga)).

I heard that Love Roma manga (serialized in Afternoon) got complemented by Clamp I must check the manga now >.<
__________________
NeoSam is offline  
Old 2006-08-02, 12:59   Link #14
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgntig
seriousl i might sound like an idiotbut is there a sight where i can order japanese magzines.
You can check your local Japanese bookstores and see if they have the more popular ones (eg Shounen Jump) in stock. Though if you are interested in the more obscure titles, you may need to place your orders in advance. Also, ordering books involve more hassles, like the selection of shipment method, as well as an array of costs, service charges and possibly custom duties that you have to bear.

For me, I get my copy of Dengeki Daioh from a Japanese hobby shop every month, which offers two shipment methods. The fast one is getting the book on the same day of the Japanese release, charging a price equivalent to 150% of the marked price (shipment and everything incl.). As for the slow way, which means getting the book in 7 days, despite of the fluctuating price of the magazine, they always charge me a price equivalent to 737 yen (all costs incl. as well). Considering that the recent issues cost as much as 780 yen even if you bought them in Japan, I have no idea on how they manage to break even.



Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
I got pretty angry when I heard that a manga of Shinigami no Ballad is starting in a shoujo magazine its not like there's not enough shoujo/josei light novels, but still they took a light novel thats aimed at males and made a shoujo manga out of it
Hehe at least the said shoujo manga is pretty decent per se. I am just a bit annoyed that such a nice manga cannot be included in the magazines that I buy every month . To the bright side, such a phenomenon may suggest that the reader-base of light novels is quite universal in nature, and their appeals attract males and females alike.

Despite of the great influence of the publishers, at the end of the day, it is the original author who has the final say on the critical issues related to his/her work. Suppose I was a light novel author who have written a critically acclamied story that everyone loves, and would like to broaden my influence by releasing my work in other media forms (anime/manga). Yet no one except a shoujo magazine approaches me and makes a manga adaptation offer. (Or maybe I'd like to show my work to innocent young lolis instead of a bunch of unappealing nerds ) . In these cases I would most likely give a nod on having a shoujo manga adaptation of my work. .

For the case of Kino, I somehow feel that the author has repeatedly declined the manga adaptation offers, instead of having no offer at all. After all, Kino is one of the most popular light novels of the Dengeki bunko, and is also quite well-known in the Chinese-speaking regions.


Quote:
Ahh Dengeki Daioh has a circulation of 250K LOL, check that page again.

I do agree with them about Dengeki Daioh and Afternoon magazines, they are really great magazines. I'm not an Afternoon reader but still I watch anime that are based on manga that got serialized in Afternoon magazine, and I love these anime a lot (Mushishi, Oh My Goddess!, Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko (the reason I started reading the manga)).

I heard that Love Roma manga (serialized in Afternoon) got complemented by Clamp I must check the manga now >.<
Oh sorry for the mistake .

YKK was also the critical piece of work that drew me into the general manga fandom too! Before that I did read manga, but was only exclusive to the Doraemon franchise (my proud collection of 100+ books ). About 2 years ago, the Nausicaa manga turned me into an avid Miyazaki fan, but I still had no interest to anything outside the Ghibli sphere of influence. It was YKK that introduces me to the broad world of manga (it's also my first full manga series collection in Japanese). I began to explore titles similar to YKK, and gradually started to appreciate works outside the slice-of-life genre. Since then I have read a great variety of works . Pathetically I am now retreating to the sphere of moe.

What is Love Roma about btw ? I have never heard of this manga...
Doraneko is offline  
Old 2006-08-02, 13:16   Link #15
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
What is Love Roma about btw ? I have never heard of this manga...
It's a romance/slice of life manga. It's done in a rather unusual style though ... for example, the boy asks the girl out in the first half of the first chapter - and it's a little more "normal" (for lack of a better word) than most manga romance. There's no prince, no dark secrets, no fanservice, and no angsting over true love in high school.
Personally I think it's absurdly touching, cute and very funny as well, and I can see why CLAMP calls it their favorite manga (or did). I'm not sure if it's shonen or seinen (I've always assumed seinen, but I've never looked up what magazine it comes from) because I actually started reading it when Del Ray brought it to America.
__________________
rooboy is offline  
Old 2006-08-02, 15:43   Link #16
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
Hehe at least the said shoujo manga is pretty decent per se. I am just a bit annoyed that such a nice manga cannot be included in the magazines that I buy every month . To the bright side, such a phenomenon may suggest that the reader-base of light novels is quite universal in nature, and their appeals attract males and females alike.

Despite of the great influence of the publishers, at the end of the day, it is the original author who has the final say on the critical issues related to his/her work. Suppose I was a light novel author who have written a critically acclamied story that everyone loves, and would like to broaden my influence by releasing my work in other media forms (anime/manga). Yet no one except a shoujo magazine approaches me and makes a manga adaptation offer. (Or maybe I'd like to show my work to innocent young lolis instead of a bunch of unappealing nerds ) . In these cases I would most likely give a nod on having a shoujo manga adaptation of my work. .
Nah, I dont mind if they are trying to broaden the audience, but if they are taking male oriented light novels and making shoujo manga adaptation of them, then at the very least do the opposite, yes, make shounen manga (or seinen manga) thats based on female oriented light novels.

I have looked and looked and looked, and I didn't find even one shounen/seinen manga thats based on a female oriented light novel. what is this supposed to mean ?

Honestly, I don't like what they are doing, and as long as they keep this up, I'll never do.

I want revenge, I want some publisher to take at least 50 female oriented light novels and make shounen manga adaptation of them *evil smirk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
For the case of Kino, I somehow feel that the author has repeatedly declined the manga adaptation offers, instead of having no offer at all. After all, Kino is one of the most popular light novels of the Dengeki bunko, and is also quite well-known in the Chinese-speaking regions.
Thats great, Kino no Tabi's greatness should spread and spread and spread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
Oh sorry for the mistake .

YKK was also the critical piece of work that drew me into the general manga fandom too! Before that I did read manga, but was only exclusive to the Doraemon franchise (my proud collection of 100+ books ). About 2 years ago, the Nausicaa manga turned me into an avid Miyazaki fan, but I still had no interest to anything outside the Ghibli sphere of influence. It was YKK that introduces me to the broad world of manga (it's also my first full manga series collection in Japanese). I began to explore titles similar to YKK, and gradually started to appreciate works outside the slice-of-life genre. Since then I have read a great variety of works . Pathetically I am now retreating to the sphere of moe.
Its great to see another fan of YKK in this forum I'm also an Aqua/Aria manga fan

you shouldn't say pathetically, Moe~ is the best
Life without moe~ is not a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
I'm not sure if it's shonen or seinen (I've always assumed seinen, but I've never looked up what magazine it comes from)
Yeah, its a seinen manga; its serialized in a seinen magazine and published under a seinen comic imprint.
__________________
NeoSam is offline  
Old 2006-08-02, 17:20   Link #17
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
Yeah, its a seinen manga; its serialized in a seinen magazine and published under a seinen comic imprint.
It's not Dengeki Daioh though, is it? I've never seen any chapter in one of mine.
__________________
rooboy is offline  
Old 2006-08-02, 17:26   Link #18
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
It's not Dengeki Daioh though, is it? I've never seen any chapter in one of mine.
Nah, its serialized in Afternoon a great seinen magazine, that brought us lots of great manga/anime.
__________________
NeoSam is offline  
Old 2006-08-09, 13:04   Link #19
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Just a minor update that I have just got Dengeki Gao today . Since I didn't made any orders in advance, I have to wait till today to get it from the shelves of a Japanese department store book shop.

The cover with a girl with her shirt slightly flying up, well, does make me feel a bit uncomfortable to carry the magazine around or read it on bus . But well it would be an even worse idea to show it around at home...
. Heck I would be a happy guy if the Dengeki magazines can use less "eye-catching" covers, so that I can freely carry them around in the streets without having to endure awkward stares and gazes.

As for the content, so far I have only read HanTsuki and enjoyed it pretty much (Rika is so dere dere... ). By flipping and skimming around, it seems that the overall style and story genres fit my taste. I will place an order for next month's issue if nothing goes seriously wrong. More detailed comments will come after I have finished it. But anyway many thanks to Neosam for recommending this magazine.

By the way there is a new serialization . Just the right issue of for a newbie to Dengeki Gao.
Doraneko is offline  
Old 2006-08-09, 14:04   Link #20
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
More detailed comments will come after I have finished it. But anyway many thanks to Neosam for recommending this magazine.

By the way there is a new serialization . Just the right issue of for a newbie to Dengeki Gao.
No problem, I'm just happy to hear that you like it

Oh, also I got a mistake in my post about novel magazines >.< there are 5 light novel magazines for males and not 4 (I forgot one >.<)

I'll mention them again in this post with the one I forgot to mention, and I'll also include their sites:

Male oriented light novel magazines:
Dengeki hp
The Sneaker
Dragon Magazine
Fantasia Battle-Royal (Its Dragon Magazine special issue magazine, its the one I forgot to mention )
2D Dream Magazine (a magazine that serializes adult light novels, a magazine thats aimed at adult males) <--> Warning be very careful where to view this site.

I'm not sure if there are other male oriented light novel magazines, but these are all the novel magazines for males that I know of.
__________________
NeoSam is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.