AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-08, 19:46   Link #1
DifferentSamurai

Question Recommend me some good romance manga, comedy as well.

nothing that lasts longer than 12 vols please.
I am new to manga but am interested in trying it as a hobby.
any recommendations with a brief description on what it is about would be greatly appreciated.
it can also be chinese manga. I forgot the term color or black and white I don't mind.

again thanks to whoever replies or even reads this post for that matter.
Old 2006-08-08, 20:37   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

restricting it to less than 13 volumes really cuts down on the choices... most of them run 13-18 volumes (Love Hina, Ai Yori Aoshi, Chibi Vampire (Karin!), Tsukuyomi Moon Phase, Kare Kano, Nana, I"s Pure, etc). In fact, I can't think of any outside of maybe Chobits (a romance about a guy and a "persocom" (android) along with the philosophical issues of sentience) that are that short.

I can think of some short *anime* romances (REC, Lamune, etc) that run short....

Well... going to sort of ignore the 12 volume maximum:
Love Hina - classic rambling mess of a story with some great segments, main problem is the way too lame slapstick.
Ai Yori Aoshi - great first half but kind of fades a bit ... concerns two people betrothed at early age between two powerful families, but one exiles himself from his rather unpleasant clan. Problem is the other actually loves him.
Tsukuyomi Moon Phase - man trips across a young vampire teen, hilarity and tragedy follow (this one is very quirky and dark at times).
Kare Kano - straight romance between two people in school, ups and downs but it isn't the "pile of girls after one guy" harem story.
Karin! (Chibi Vampire in US) - another vampire story but more often comedy, interesting spin on vampires (they prefer blood from people with singular issues like unhappiness, or jealousy). Vampire girl gets tangled with with a human... hilarity ensues.
Many of the comedy romances involve a guy chased by multiple girls ... Ouran High School Club is unusual (reversed).
Old 2006-08-08, 20:46   Link #3
yellowkaiq
~Chrno + Rosette~

Send a message via AIM to yellowkaiq
Well, you can't really get a good manga under 12 volumes.

Kaede Typhoon and Lilim Kiss are pretty good. You'll definitely like them. Kaede is 1 volume and lilim is 2.

Youtube.com/timelesstroll - Check me out!
Old 2006-08-08, 23:13   Link #4
Caviar

paradise kiss! after that... i have no earthly idea of what other good romance manga there are (like you, i like to keep them short)
Old 2006-08-09, 00:15   Link #5
DifferentSamurai

Exclamation Thanks for all the replies

I did not that most manga tend to run for more than 12 vols, I will extend my limit to under 20 then because really I like them short and good but if there is no such thing then 20 or under is the most I will go with a manga story I guess.

keep the replies coming So I can make a list and go on a shopping spree!!
Old 2006-08-09, 01:42   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If you're just looking for some nice comedy... you might also check out Azumanga Daioh (4 volume set) - slice'o'life comedy about a group of girls going through high school. Also Yotsuba& - just a slightly quirky comedy about a little girl, her father, and their interesting friends.

Negima! is kind of a combination "harry potter"+japan+girls+wackycombatmagic series that might entertain. Some romance but lots of magic combat to spruce it up.
Old 2006-08-09, 02:40   Link #7
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Negima! is kind of a combination "harry potter"+japan+girls+wackycombatmagic series that might entertain. Some romance but lots of magic combat to spruce it up.
To bring it down you mean... its all in the perspective

Most manga that makes it out of Japan is probably more than 13... but if you take scanlations into account, most of it is probably 1-5 volumes.

Some of my favorite manga:
Akkan Baby - comedy/romance (sorta)
Dear Mine - romance/shoujo
Mars - romance/shoujo
Emma - romance/historic
Fruits Basket - shoujo/comedy
Perfect Girl Evolution - comedy/shoujo
Princess - epic romance/historic
W-Juliet - romance/shoujo/comedy
Pieta - shoujo-ai <3
Use the search function here for descriptions (lazy :-p)

I just read a couple volumes of Ranma 1/2 and that's very good if you want some comedy (I'd already seen the anime, I think I like the manga more)

Last edited by jedinat; 2006-08-09 at 02:56.
Old 2006-08-09, 02:44   Link #8
andromeda0201

Power (Girl Got Game) - 10 volumes - about a girl who is forced to disguise as a guy and enter an all boys school just because her dad wants her to be a national basketball player and fulfil his dream
and
Imadoki - 5 volumes - funny story following how 5 people got together during their school life and erm....well read it, its too short for me to spoil

I would have recommended HanaKimi, but it is 22 volumes, therefore out of your range, lol
Old 2006-08-09, 02:46   Link #9
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inujun
I would have recommended HanaKimi, but it is 22 volumes, therefore out of your range, lol
But I'd still read it if I were you... instead of Power! at least .
(I started reading Power! after Hana-Kimi and it paled in comparison.. couldn't finish it )
Old 2006-08-09, 05:40   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I actually prefer the romance side of Negima ... the action is okay as long as it doesn't overwhelm the story. But its a nice introduction to relationship stories for someone who's only read "action fighting" manga I guess (like Nanoha introduces mecha fans to magical girl )
Old 2006-08-09, 13:50   Link #11
DifferentSamurai

Lightbulb thanks for all the suggestions

I will try to get as many as I can this weekend when I go shopping and also through the internet (though that is gonna take a lot of convincing to do since I don't have credit card). my parents are such strict people
maybe I will try out this hanakimi if it's as good as you all say, though I will buy just the first couple of volumes first cause what one likes another could hate.

also just wondering, any good colored manga or manha out there? doesn't have to be romance or comedy. as long as it's not horror. I wish all manga were colored but then again the cost would rise even more than the ripoff it is now
Old 2006-08-09, 14:21   Link #12
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentSamurai
maybe I will try out this hanakimi if it's as good as you all say, though I will buy just the first couple of volumes first cause what one likes another could hate.
It's actually not the best thing in the world, I was more just recommending it over Power! which is a very similar manga. (its still good though)

If you are going to go out and buy a manga I'd seriously suggest getting Fruits Basket or Mars.

The only colored manga around is usually a popular manga that is released in a special edition colored version, I think. (I really have no idea on this... just read it in black and white, its fine ) I read a few volumes of the colored edition of Akira, but that wasn't my favorite manga...
Old 2006-08-10, 16:07   Link #13
MamoruUsagi

Kare First Love
Fushigi Yugi
Paradise Kiss
Happy Hustle High
Mars
The Devil Does Exist
Kare Kano
Wild Act
High School Debut
Ceres Celestial Legend
Fushigi Yuugi
Bokura ga Ita
Sailor Moon
Ultra Maniac
Marmalade Boy
Kare First Love
Absolute Boyfriend
Peach Girl
Missile Happy!
Doubt!!
Akuma De Sourou
Ayashi no Ceres
We Were There
Love Attack
Sensual Phrase
Punch!
Ultra Cute
Sand Chronicles
Land of the Blindfolded

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2010-07-25 at 13:10.
Closed Thread