AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Negima

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-12-08, 02:03   Link #461
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Heh.... our thoughts parallel though there really isn't a specific counterpart to the katana maiden in this series (though some of Setsuna's notes and reference are homage to her).

I like the idea of Nagi-Eva (whether or not Negi == Nagi) and I can even tolerate the idea of Asuna-Negi if its written well but at some point in this series they'd have to use one of the available techniques (send Negi to the past/future and let him age there) else we're looking at six years or more down the road.

I have an unpleasant feeling that the focus is going to be "connecting up with dad" for a finale and any romance will get left open-ended. The author has a talent for creating situations that are entertaining yet infuriating.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-08, 18:25   Link #462
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I have an unpleasant feeling that the focus is going to be "connecting up with dad" for a finale and any romance will get left open-ended. The author has a talent for creating situations that are entertaining yet infuriating.
1. This isn't a romance manga, it's an action manga, as the extremely drawn out martial arts tournament and current story arc (Japanese releases) have proven.

2. The kid's ten years old; girls are the last thing on his mind (as proven by Evangeline's little bath prank ).

3. Then again... this is Akamatsu, and we all know that he has the power to negate both of the previous points and is not above sticking Negi with Inchou if he really writes himself far enough into a corner
__________________
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-10, 12:03   Link #463
wontaek
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye... there's some armwaving about the permament contract --- the implication is a duo when the ermine explains it but I'm not sure there's any *restriction* on a "team arrangement". Somehow I don't think we'll get that from Ken though. Just, for god's sake Ken don't go with the "violent girl" again at the very end (purely wishful rooting for Nodoka or ... well, just someone atypically chosen).
Judging from what I can glean from the manga and anime, I believe it leaves room open for possibility of having more than one permanent contract, but it will be very taxing on the magi. Making a contract means you giving some of your magic powers to the partner, and I believe permanent contract would make you give out even more power compared to the provisional contract, thus most magi doesn't generate enough power to substain more than one permanent contract. Negi's father, Nagi, didn't have a partner, and that might have allowed him to use little bit more magic power; not neccessary the best decision, for it seems that, by making a contract and giving up something like 10 ~ 20 % of your magic, you gain an ally whose output might be greater than 50 ~ 100 % of your total magic power. Negi might have enough magic in him to substain multiple permanent contract, but he probably won't do that for moral reasons. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that, when Konoka becomes a better magician, she and Negi will probably cancel their contract so she can become a independent magi, and Konoka will probably make a permanent contract with Setsuna. However, I believe Konoka and Setsuna will each have their own husband, since it was said that Permanent contract is usually, NOT ALWAYS, with member of opposite sex, and many, NOT ALL, ends up getting married to each other.
__________________
wontaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-10, 16:04   Link #464
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
I believe Konoka and Setsuna will each have their own husband
Yeah, keep telling yourself that
Platonic contracts are obviously possible (Eva and Chacha-chan), but with Konoka and Setsuna... well, we'll see


I doubt that it's generally beneficial to sustain more than one permanant contract, as well. Knowing Akamatsu, the girl makes his contract with will also be the one he "ends up" with, so my money is on Konoka or Eva; although the safe bet would probably be Asuna, as Akamatsu tends to stick the guy with the first girl he meets for some reason.
__________________
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-11, 09:59   Link #465
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Hi, just watch the negima!?
Can anyone describe the use of Armor Card, Cosplay Card n Zuka card?
Dont understand the functionality...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-11, 10:46   Link #466
Ashlotte
Clockwork
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Well im gonna guess the Armor cards are in response to the looks that developed during the festival arc in the manga (<3 asuna in armor). Cosplay is just for laughs or to mix it up I suppose. And finally the dud card like others said seems more of a reason for negi to make more contracts with other girls on account of his existing ones having a chance to fail.

Hopefully the show wont turn too formulaic, but if by doing so I get to see a pactio with zazie come about then its all right.
__________________

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-11, 12:01   Link #467
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
1. This isn't a romance manga, it's an action manga, as the extremely drawn out martial arts tournament and current story arc (Japanese releases) have proven.

2. The kid's ten years old; girls are the last thing on his mind (as proven by Evangeline's little bath prank ).

3. Then again... this is Akamatsu, and we all know that he has the power to negate both of the previous points and is not above sticking Negi with Inchou if he really writes himself far enough into a corner
I'll dispute that it is one kind of manga versus another (action vs romance). It is some odd hybrid of both (much like mecha stories often have romance components). I will agree the slant is toward action rather than romance though and I'm not really expecting any romantic culmination (I'd be fine with simple "somewhere down the road" possibilities with Nodoka or some other, for example). I'm having a good time just watching the relationships (friendships, partners, comrades-in-arms) as they are.

Well.. girls aren't the last thing on his mind (he's surrounded by them) but yes, he's 10 years old -- I'm surprised he hasn't had a nervous breakdown from all the "cootie" exposure.

Ken says he wants to write an action or magical combat manga .... but he can't quite seem to extricate himself from his other tendencies. As far as his abilities to portray combat, I'm kind of mixed --- he's not terrible but his frame sequencing sometimes leaves me wondering what is going on.

And yes, the martial arts tournament was extremely drawn out. It might have seemed less so if there had been more sequences between the rounds. However, I suppose we needed to give all the characters their moment in the ring.

@wontaek: I suspect Konoka and Setsuna are their own item, though Konoka seems to be clueless about Setsuna's feelings in some ways ... wait a moment I think we've had this conversation before... ah well, the situation is still very open-ended so anything is possible.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-11, 13:11   Link #468
TnAdct1
Honya-kun
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Clinton, Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
I doubt that it's generally beneficial to sustain more than one permanant contract, as well. Knowing Akamatsu, the girl makes his contract with will also be the one he "ends up" with, so my money is on Konoka or Eva; although the safe bet would probably be Asuna, as Akamatsu tends to stick the guy with the first girl he meets for some reason.
I highly agree that Asuna will be the one that Negi will eventually have as her permanant Pactio partner. However, when it comes to who Negi will "end up" with, I believe that is still up in the air between her and Nodoka (with the key thing being Asuna's past and how it connects to Negi).

Also, Azuma Denton, here's the idea of the Pactio card system:

ARMOR: The strongest card, this card enables a girl's full Pactio ability.

COSPLAY: The middle card, the card's usefulness depends on the girl. For instance, Nodoka and Kaede's cosplay forms are quite useful (Nodoka with the ability to read other's peoples minds; Kaede with her ninja skills amplified), while we've yet to see the cosplay forms of the twins to be of any use.

SUKA: The weakest of the cards, this one is more of the "joke" card.
__________________
TnAdct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-11, 13:19   Link #469
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
@tnadct11 n kimichi
Thanks for the explanation.


About who will be Negi's permanent partner, as far as the story goes, the biggest chance will go to Nodoka n Asuna. Asuna is like the guardian to Negi n Nodoka has a big crush on Negi. But i'll say Yue has a chance too.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-11, 19:04   Link #470
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
yue...imo soo far she has been pushed out of the story unlike where she played a big role in the original ~ im still waiting and hoping for a yue ep
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-12, 06:08   Link #471
wontaek
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Age: 44
I found it interesting that in the 1st season, Setsuna became Konoka's partner in episode 21.
__________________
wontaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-12, 06:23   Link #472
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
Judging from what I can glean from the manga and anime, I believe it leaves room open for possibility of having more than one permanent contract, but it will be very taxing on the magi. Making a contract means you giving some of your magic powers to the partner, and I believe permanent contract would make you give out even more power compared to the provisional contract, thus most magi doesn't generate enough power to substain more than one permanent contract.
it appears that the ritual of the "permanent contract" is an permanent enchancement (read : synchronilizing) then a higher amount of magic.
at various situations, negi can put a huge chunk of magic into his ministers with a higher duration than the usual 1 min 30.

this is indeed a speculation, but it would be rather weird if it's only improving the amount of magic, since both of the magister and minister are fighting together. (and like evangeline said, the prime role of the magister is somewhat the "cannon", sto requiring to gather a huge spell, while his/her partner is fighting.)

Quote:
Negi's father, Nagi, didn't have a partner, and that might have allowed him to use little bit more magic power; not neccessary the best decision,
isn't he supposed to be so powerful that he didn't need a minister?



as for the details, i guess we have to wait several explanations from kamo (actually, the provisionnal pactio can be done without kissing, but kamo didn't bother explain how (that's way too convenient, akamatsu ))
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-12, 16:35   Link #473
wontaek
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Age: 44
In general, I like the changes in this series compared to the manga or the 1st anime series.
__________________
wontaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-13, 21:28   Link #474
porchoky
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
After watching pani-poni, it just seems like they're copying that style, which probably isn't true, but bothers me a bit.
Oh yeah, the ending song, the part with the a-ly-ya, is that orginial, or is it jacked off some other more famous song?
porchoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-13, 21:32   Link #475
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by porchoky View Post
After watching pani-poni, it just seems like they're copying that style, which probably isn't true, but bothers me a bit.
Both PaniPoni Dash & Negma!? share the same director - the all mighty Shinbo Akiyuki. So using the word 'copying' doesn't really work. ^^;;
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-13, 22:22   Link #476
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
The director is responsible for Tsukuyomi Moon Phase, Pani Poni Dash, and now Negima!? ... he likes to bring an absurdist element to the material.

It makes for an interesting twist .. I keep hoping to see more Moon Phase creep in (where he managed to evoke some strong emotional situations amongst the humor) rather than just PPD insanity.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-14, 04:26   Link #477
porchoky
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Both PaniPoni Dash & Negma!? share the same director - the all mighty Shinbo Akiyuki. So using the word 'copying' doesn't really work. ^^;;
heh..... thats a good point. Still, even after that, I kinda agree with Vexx, I hope he starts towards more of a TMP feel or at least keeps it like this.
porchoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-14, 13:17   Link #478
TnAdct1
Honya-kun
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Clinton, Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It makes for an interesting twist .. I keep hoping to see more Moon Phase creep in (where he managed to evoke some strong emotional situations amongst the humor) rather than just PPD insanity.
Well, Shinobu did sneak in some elements from another series that he did, the first season of Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, into the new Negima along with the usual PPD insanity.
__________________
TnAdct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-14, 13:19   Link #479
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
Well, Shinobu did sneak in some elements from another series that he did, the first season of Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, into the new Negima along with the usual PPD insanity.
You're forgetting the SoulTaker style he's also using for the new Negima series.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-29, 05:13   Link #480
liehcas
glasses get in the way
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NY
I'm sure I wasn't the only one to notice the 2ch/futaba references in episode 9:


Obviously pedobear.


"Anonymous's afro" -which I thought originated on 4chon.

It caught me off guard, I thought anonymous was raiding my anime.
liehcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.