AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Negima

Notices

Old 2006-10-04, 15:56   Link #101
Kaoru Chujo
Kimura Juri

Oh man, that was really something. Tsukuyomi meets PaniPoni meets Akamatsu Ken. Shinbou just keeps getting better. Great character design (Oota Kazuhiro) and animation and direction. Those tight shots were way cool. And some of the quick little PaniPoni-style jokes were great: the "watch for falling objects" sign and the "shoutacon" comment, for example, to say nothing of the many things going on in class all the time. Not to mention all the great voice work. And jumping right to the chase like that with Evangeline was bold. Kudos to the series comp guy Kanemaki Kenichi (Tsukuyomi, PaniPoni, Ai Yori Aoshi, Jigoku Shoujo)? And did you notice those Vietnamese names in the credits for the backgrounds?
Kimura Juri 木村珠莉 Joined Tokyo Voice Actors' Co-op in 2011, did voice-overs for corporate presentations. Anime bit parts 2013-14. Stars in Shirobako as Miyamori, will star in Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku (spring). Enjoys music, looking at Buddha images, reading. Used to work at a bookstore. Says she is a maudlin drunk. Age unknown.
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi |
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 17:26   Link #102
suguru
京都 ikitai~

This was just awesome...the baka ranger segment at the end was pretty funny too. I like how they're starting at the beginning but not just slavishly following the manga, I'm really looking forward to where Shaft goes with this. It looks like they're following the PPD tradition of the blackboard constantly changing too
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 19:32   Link #103
Srin Tuar
無謀

Hrm, the masic story seems the same as the first series...

It also seems vulnerable to the same problem as the first series: attention spread too thinly between was too many characters.

This seems to mainly be a remake...
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 19:36   Link #104
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Hey, Chiwa Saito played Anya, didn't she?

I love her irritated voice.
Old 2006-10-04, 20:43   Link #105
Kaoru Chujo
Kimura Juri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar
...It also seems vulnerable to the same problem as the first series: attention spread too thinly between way too many characters...
Like PaniPoni. But perhaps there is a story thread to help this stay on course? I didn't last long enough with the first Negima to find out if that had one. It looks like they're trying to emphasize one here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
Hey, Chiwa Saito played Anya, didn't she? I love her irritated voice.
You and me both. She's an example of a seiyuu whose voice you can almost always recognize and yet who is still great.

People here and elsewhere keep mentioning SHAFT and not Shinbou Akiyuki. Am I giving too much credit to the director? I don't think so: you can really see the consistent thread in his work, from Tsukuyomi to PaniPoni to this. SHAFT has recently done the animation production for He is My Master and REC, which were not bad, but not special, either. They have done bits and pieces on other things, but those are the two recent ones (besides PaniPoni) where I can see they did the overall production (according to ANN).
Kimura Juri 木村珠莉 Joined Tokyo Voice Actors' Co-op in 2011, did voice-overs for corporate presentations. Anime bit parts 2013-14. Stars in Shirobako as Miyamori, will star in Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku (spring). Enjoys music, looking at Buddha images, reading. Used to work at a bookstore. Says she is a maudlin drunk. Age unknown.
Old 2006-10-04, 20:51   Link #106
kct
Walk dat crank yo

Send a message via MSN to kct
I liked the darker tone in this one compared to the way-too-mushy-and-time-wasted-on-fanservice manga now.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 21:03   Link #107
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

This time they didn't beat around the bush and cut straight into it! sweet. It feels so much like PPD! for some reason but that's alright.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 21:07   Link #108
animeguineapig

I like Negima.
animeguineapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 21:19   Link #109
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
People here and elsewhere keep mentioning SHAFT and not Shinbou Akiyuki. Am I giving too much credit to the director? I don't think so: you can really see the consistent thread in his work, from Tsukuyomi to PaniPoni to this.

PaniPoni was hilarious: but I really hated the low-budget look many episodes had.

Tsukuyomi had many really well done awesome hypnotic episodes. But it also had a couple episodes that were like slow motion slide shows. there were scenes with minutes of total blackness while stilted conversation went on in the background.

I'm a bit nervous to overly praise the quality of either of those two shows. Specific episodes perhaps... but not the overall job.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 21:25   Link #110
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Hang on, whiping the drool from the keyboard...

Oh, man - somebody sub this puppy!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 23:00   Link #111
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar
PaniPoni was hilarious: but I really hated the low-budget look many episodes had.

Tsukuyomi had many really well done awesome hypnotic episodes. But it also had a couple episodes that were like slow motion slide shows. there were scenes with minutes of total blackness while stilted conversation went on in the background.

I'm a bit nervous to overly praise the quality of either of those two shows. Specific episodes perhaps... but not the overall job.
When Tsukuyomi came out on DVD at least they did make a lot of changes to improve the quality of the animation--the link below has some examples, TV version on the left, DVD version on the right. I think the long stretches of darkness got replaced by real animation as well.
http://anime.nekomimi.se/tsuku12/

Although I agree that neither Tsukuyomi or PPD had godlike animation quality, they were better than average to me, but part of that's probably that I really grew to like the character designs.

Quote:
People here and elsewhere keep mentioning SHAFT and not Shinbou Akiyuki. Am I giving too much credit to the director? I don't think so: you can really see the consistent thread in his work, from Tsukuyomi to PaniPoni to this. SHAFT has recently done the animation production for He is My Master and REC, which were not bad, but not special, either. They have done bits and pieces on other things, but those are the two recent ones (besides PaniPoni) where I can see they did the overall production (according to ANN).
Didn't know that...but now I think Shinbou Akiyuki should be canonized as a saint of all otaku for his work

Last edited by suguru; 2006-10-04 at 23:25.
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 01:09   Link #112
Shinmeiryuu
Ring Ding Dong

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant
Spoiler for Episode 1:
Huh, I thought Fei's seiyuu was the same from last time. Maybe she changed her stage name from Tanaka Hazuki to just Hazuki. Chao however definately has a new seiyuu.

Quote:
Hey, Chiwa Saito played Anya, didn't she?

I love her irritated voice.
Oh, me too! Now I wish Anya said "hazukashii serifu kinshi!" in the neo manga release. :P

Quote:
And did you notice those Vietnamese names in the credits for the backgrounds?
Yeah, I did. Finally Viet people representing. And what do you know, there are 3 Nguyen's. XD

Chalkboard messages~
Shinmeiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 01:25   Link #113
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just sampled Random Curiosity's screenshots... I may end up calling this Negima Alternative Deluxe but it looks *damn* good in style and execution. Even if it takes massive liberties with the order of events or the details - it *looks* like they've taken the spirit of the manga and turned the knob to "11".
Old 2006-10-05, 01:38   Link #114
Kaoru Chujo
Kimura Juri

Episode 12 was the killer in Tsukuyomi. I remember a discussion in that thread about why there was a long fight "scene" that was all darkness and shadows. It was like listening to radio. But that part was fleshed out in the DVD.

One or two bad episodes don't bother me at all. I'll judge animation on the best episodes rather than the worst. Those sketchy episodes are a matter of money, time and/or quality control, rather than talent or art. Talent, art, and invention are what I think Shinbou has. Maybe his professionalism is a bit whacked, however, I don't know. I have to be honest that I felt both Tsukuyomi and PaniPoni had some limp episodes from the story point of view.

In any case, I rather like sketchy, corner-cutting -- but artistic -- animation like in, say, Noein, or Bokura ga Ita.
Old 2006-10-05, 02:10   Link #115
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Loved ep. 1! It's darker that the first series which I'm all for. There was definitely alot going on for a first ep. Hard to believe that this aired at 5:30 PM with the amount of info being flung at you in that ep. It even has a sentient blackboard.

This series has blown the first one away imo.

Here's hoping that a certain Paniponi group takes this one on and translation notes for the blackboard.
Old 2006-10-05, 03:46   Link #116
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang Send a message via Skype™ to Li Jianliang
Screen captures for the first half of Episode 1

The art style was somewhat distorted-looking but definitely better than that of the first series. Looks like they took out the fanservice and stuck in drama instead, which is actually making Negima!? a more interesting series to watch, since fanservice gets boring after a while when I know what to expect.
The comedy in the episode was nice, and I had to laugh at Asuna's crazy hair numbers. XD

And this was extremely horrifying for the second when it was on-screen:

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress

Last edited by Li Jianliang; 2006-10-07 at 06:50.
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 09:08   Link #117
wao
OK.

I'm not following this show at all but is this image (taken from some 2chan link), a set of screenshots, captured from the TV anime? And is that うお、まぶしっ!! as well as the Chiyo-chan at the bottom a 'shop or was it some split-second appearance? I mean, for that famous line from Musashi to appear here... I could believe it but er...

(No, I can't be bothered to watch it, even if Shinbo can drag good animators along. >_<)
Old 2006-10-05, 09:18   Link #118
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
I'm not following this show at all but is this image (taken from some 2chan link), a set of screenshots, captured from the TV anime? And is that うお、まぶしっ!! as well as the Chiyo-chan at the bottom a 'shop or was it some split-second appearance? I mean, for that famous line from Musashi to appear here... I could believe it but er...

(No, I can't be bothered to watch it, even if Shinbo can drag good animators along. >_<)
Yes, those are screenshots - they used the same "changing text on the board" gag in PPD!

Though now that you mention it, I didn't catch Chiyo-chan the first time I watched. I'll have to go back and see if she's really there or not. My suspicion is not 'shopped, but I can't confirm from here at work.
Old 2006-10-05, 09:29   Link #119
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
Though now that you mention it, I didn't catch Chiyo-chan the first time I watched. I'll have to go back and see if she's really there or not. My suspicion is not 'shopped, but I can't confirm from here at work.
It's not a 'shop, chyo is really there (at least in my raw ). I was really amused when I see her on blackboard
Old 2006-10-05, 09:46   Link #120
rooboy
Umeboshi!

I suspected not. Gosh I miss Pani Poni Dash - though I guess it's only a month or so to the DVD.