AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-07-01, 19:29   Link #301
TigerII
Pilot in Training
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Earth
The translations for ZnT wasn't even past like novel 1 anyways. Far more work on other projects like Haruhi.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 20:02   Link #302
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
actually it did get past novel one... The first chapter of novel 2 was 10% translated before the news of licenscing
__________________
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-01, 22:29   Link #303
TigerII
Pilot in Training
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Earth
O, well it has been a while. Still it was a slower rate than the other novels on the site.

I have a new theory. I wonder if Saito ever gets the chance to go back to his world again if he will stay a second time, if he goes and Louise stays or if she goes. I wonder.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-02, 15:50   Link #304
ellifeedn
Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New York
Could it be possible to keep the already translated material and get one last use out of it by comparing it to the licensed version? I mean, it be such a waste to have it all deleted after people worked hard on it. I also want to thank Sushi-Y for the work she has done (refers to the other forum with the summaries of volumes 5-7 or 8).

(Aside from that, I believe the other projects should be kept as well, especially the Suzumiya Haruhi novels if they get licensed).
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-02, 17:49   Link #305
UPR
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Puerto Rico
Age: 24
can i ask if anybody knows where i can get tha novels
UPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-02, 18:01   Link #306
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPR View Post
can i ask if anybody knows where i can get tha novels
Well, you can get the Japanese novels at Japanese bookstores/retailers like Amazon, and, now that they're licensed, you should be able to buy them in English probably sometime next year.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 22:57   Link #307
shaolinx
Kani Fascination
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Great news!!! first time i heard a light novel being licensed. How much do they usualy go for, USD price wised?
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 23:01   Link #308
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
How much do they usualy go for, USD price wised?
It looks like all of Seven Seas' light novels retail for $7.95 USD (MSRP), and you can probably find them even cheaper at some online stores.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 00:35   Link #309
shaolinx
Kani Fascination
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It looks like all of Seven Seas' light novels retail for $7.95 USD (MSRP), and you can probably find them even cheaper at some online stores.
wow, thats pretty cheap... considering all the translating needs to be done. diffently gonna buy it
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 09:00   Link #310
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
Great news!!! first time i heard a light novel being licensed. How much do they usualy go for, USD price wised?
It happens quite often. Recent notable light novels that have been licensed and released stateside include Shakugan no Shana (very good), .hack// novels (decent backstory supplements), and even a few Love Hina novels (a waste of paper, in my opinion).

Just look closer at the selection in your local bookstore's mango section next time and I'm sure you'll notice a couple.

Anyhow, I'm definitely up for buying ZnT at $7.95. Shana was $9.99 (very worth it).
__________________
Masanori Ota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 11:20   Link #311
TigerII
Pilot in Training
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Earth
The one thing I want to be licensed. They are cheap and I prefer to read a book than a screen.

Now I just need Haruhi and I am set. Of course there a few other novels I want to read, but they are not even getting translated, so doubt they would get licensed.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 21:33   Link #312
trademark
Likes to go to buffets
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
How good are the translations of japanese novels?

I would prefer if they kept all the japanese language and cultural nuances while making translation notes. It bugs me when they try to edit things to make it more "culturally acceptable" or language acceptable. Too many things are lost in the translations when they try to assimilate the original script into something that its not.
trademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 00:01   Link #313
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
yeah i agree with you. The thing i'm hoping for them to keep is the titles added to names such as kun, sama or chan... These titles are great indicators to the relationship each character has which each other
__________________
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 01:31   Link #314
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Well, I suppose you'll just have to wait until they publish the first volume to see for yourself what they do. As far as I'm aware, Seven Seas is in the habit of using honorifics and all that.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 09:37   Link #315
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Any news as to exactly when the first volume will come out in English?
__________________
Sig removed by Mod (xris) because at 65,726 bytes it exceeds the limits as requested in the forum rules.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 17:17   Link #316
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademark View Post
How good are the translations of japanese novels?

I would prefer if they kept all the japanese language and cultural nuances while making translation notes. It bugs me when they try to edit things to make it more "culturally acceptable" or language acceptable. Too many things are lost in the translations when they try to assimilate the original script into something that its not.
Shana's translation was done quite expertly, in my humble opinion. Go pick it up at your local store and give it a look. The first couple pages are color illustrations, just like the original. Here's to hoping they keep up the quality work for the rest of the novels, and that ZnT's novels are just as well-translated.
__________________
Masanori Ota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-07, 09:13   Link #317
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Location
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanori Ota View Post
Shana's translation was done quite expertly, in my humble opinion. Go pick it up at your local store and give it a look. The first couple pages are color illustrations, just like the original. Here's to hoping they keep up the quality work for the rest of the novels, and that ZnT's novels are just as well-translated.
My only complaint is they took two pictures out. Actually, it's better that they took one of the pics out otherwise it would be dangerous to read that in school


*gotta refrain self from clicking those spoiler tag....*
__________________

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 09:43   Link #318
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Age: 31
Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
The translations for ZnT wasn't even past like novel 1 anyways. Far more work on other projects like Haruhi.
Thats true.

seems to me not many people are interested in the ZNT novel.

Haruhi pulls gazillion of translators, we had to fight them off.

but ZNT...its like....people don't care.

oh, well. I will fight for the project, until a definite confirmed announcement from seven sea's website until we desist.

because i've been told ZNT novel would most probably be publish in late 2009 or even up to 2011.

In other words, a very, very, very, long time.

And judging from the popularity of the translation, i have no reason to doubt it.

__________________
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 11:22   Link #319
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
I wouldnt say that poeple are not interested in ZnT, but helpful people are not..With helpful I mean the ones that can read japanese.

Besides Haruhi novels ARE better written than ZnT (theres no question about it). Still I know that there are quite a few ZnT lovers just that most them know nothing concerning the japanese language, thus ZnT novel translation is so slow as it has to rely on 2-3 poeple who dont have that much of time.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 11:25   Link #320
Kakosan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
Thats true.

seems to me not many people are interested in the ZNT novel.

Haruhi pulls gazillion of translators, we had to fight them off.

but ZNT...its like....people don't care.

oh, well. I will fight for the project, until a definite confirmed announcement from seven sea's website until we desist.

because i've been told ZNT novel would most probably be publish in late 2009 or even up to 2011.

In other words, a very, very, very, long time.

And judging from the popularity of the translation, i have no reason to doubt it.

Wow, that's a surprise to me. I can't help with the translations, since I don't know japanese but I really would. I find that the story behind ZnT is very interesting, and I've had a lot of fun reading the translations from the project, as well as the summaries from Sushi-Y. I just wanted to thank all the people that is involved in the project for their effort (as few as they may be) and to tell them that there are people out there who appreciate the time and dedication that has been invested.

Gambatte!!!!
Kakosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, harem, light novels, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.