AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Pumpkin Scissors

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-10-21, 14:43   Link #281
i0td
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Desert, USA
Age: 28
Just watched the third episode. Yes, it is nice to see that Alice is finally falling out of her naivete, her narrow take on this once war-ridden world, but I just find it a bit unbelievable that Alice, after working with commoners for such a long time under Pumpkin Scissors, is only beginning to see just how poorly these people are doing and how wide the gap is between them and the nobility. Of course, she must've realized this a bit already, because otherwise she most likely would not have even considered the job in the first place, but to have not come to a full realization in the three years' time until now is somewhat incredible. One point to counter this though is Alice's encounter with her sisters at the beginning of the episode triggering this entire episode, but even that is a bit stretching it.

My favorite scene was Orland countering Alice's analogy concerning the disease, doctor, and patient. That was smart of him to put it all in a way to rejuvenate Alice's fighting spirit.
__________________
i0td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 15:01   Link #282
Cyz
"Show it to me"
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: In solitude, where we are least alone
Quote:
Originally Posted by i0td View Post
Just watched the third episode. Yes, it is nice to see that Alice is finally falling out of her naivete, her narrow take on this once war-ridden world, but I just find it a bit unbelievable that Alice, after working with commoners for such a long time under Pumpkin Scissors, is only beginning to see just how poorly these people are doing and how wide the gap is between them and the nobility. Of course, she must've realized this a bit already, because otherwise she most likely would not have even considered the job in the first place, but to have not come to a full realization in the three years' time until now is somewhat incredible. One point to counter this though is Alice's encounter with her sisters at the beginning of the episode triggering this entire episode, but even that is a bit stretching it.

My favorite scene was Orland countering Alice's analogy concerning the disease, doctor, and patient. That was smart of him to put it all in a way to rejuvenate Alice's fighting spirit.
Alice is too prideful to recognize the suffering of the common people. Besides, she always seems to dwell on the idea of "duty" that's why she forgot how a real commoner should feel. I think she wants to experience all that herself - so she'll know more about the world and what's happening.
__________________
~~ Project Cyz ~~
"There is no spoon"
~~~~~
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 16:04   Link #283
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordblazer View Post
Thanks for ruining the anime......
They were only speculations based on what i have gathered so far and also from other animes that have taken this kind of premise example Zero No Tsukamia. Im honored that you think everything that i have stated will come to fruition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Interesting thoughts, I think 5 and 6 are a little too predictable though. I think the fiance will be either part of the problem (i.e. arrogant noble) or he'll be plain evil and manipulative of Alice and be the final boss.

Oh and I predict they'll be a Ball. All nobles in anime, bar none, have a Ball at some point. A big elaborate affair with people wearing masks and Mozart playing in the background etc. Wherein a guilt-ridden Alice ("do commoners eat Vol-au-vents, Stekkin?") will look pretty but further realise the absurdity of nobility as the poor folk struggle in the aftermath of the war...
Your so right there has to be a ball Nobles are really big about that sort of stuff it would be nice to see Alice all dressed up. Heres an example

http://ningen.nattoli.net/downloads/wallpapers/Pumpkin-Scissors/[Ningen]wallpapers-Pumpkin-Scissors-1-1024x768.jpg
__________________
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 16:18   Link #284
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Your so right there has to be a ball Nobles are really big about that sort of stuff it would be nice to see Alice all dressed up. Heres an example

http://ningen.nattoli.net/downloads/wallpapers/Pumpkin-Scissors/[Ningen]wallpapers-Pumpkin-Scissors-1-1024x768.jpg
Oh nice image. She sure looks different in a gown. There's that curious item from the OP. What is that? Looks like a capsule or a case of some kind. From the OP looks like it's related to her mother in some way. Here's a close up of it on the official site.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 16:57   Link #285
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
its a plot device? my best bet would be something of significant value to her that would help her in the time of need in the future...maybe its more chemicals to pump up orland
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 17:13   Link #286
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
but I just find it a bit unbelievable that Alice, after working with commoners for such a long time under Pumpkin Scissors, is only beginning to see just how poorly these people are doing and how wide the gap is between them and the nobility.
A little unbelievable? I found it more unbelievable than Kira Yamato preprogramming a whole Gundam OS in a few minutes in the first episode of Gundam SEED. Was it mentioned that she has spent years in the Pumpkins Scissors unit? If yes, episode three is even more stupid then, it should have been done as some sort of flashback of Alice's early days in the unit. I am obviously not Alice's biggest fan but to take her three years to realise the economic reality and the gap between her and the commoners is just too much.

Quote:
Of course, she must've realized this a bit already, because otherwise she most likely would not have even considered the job in the first place,
I don't know about that, she seems to have way too big sense of duty and would have probably accepted any job if told it would be for the good of the country.

Quote:
Atsuhiro Tomioka, who is doing the series composition for PS, also did the script for Chrno Crusade, which as I recall, was completed before the manga finished like FMA. I think the general consensus is that Chrno Crusade was a good series, even though many did not like the bittersweet ending. I enjoyed Chrno Crusade a lot, it's a solid series and I see many similarities with Pumpkin Scissors. Which should give us some hope for a good resolution.
The same writer as Chrono Crusade? That's too bad... I am not fond of that series' ending.
__________________
'The world we live in is always in darkness.'
'Yes, and that is why we seek light.'

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 18:24   Link #287
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 34
Episode 03. For the Most Precious Thing

I can understand Omniscient's response to this episode lacking of quality. It was atrocious for me, at least, seeing the characters drawn and sketched lanky and one lines; the eyes particularly were drawn like small drops.

Keggh....

Oh, well! At least this episode did not feature the Ghost-Orland-smashing-this-week's-tank-routine for a change, since the whole sequence grew tired on me after a couple of episodes.

Pumpkin Scissors is just experiencing a slow and stretched start for right now. If what was shown in the preview for episode four, chances are high that a major antagonist would be most likely introduced into the storyline.

I read the few recents posts regarding the writer's storyline. Chrno Crusade is good comparison for beginners. If Pumpkin Scissors starts to take off early, as I hope it will, the story would slowly and eventually become dramatic, angst, depressing, dark, but compelling nowadays.

Kind of been thinking how would they manage to intertwine and weave Alice's and Orland's stories together?
Those two characters will be juxtaposing with each other's systems of beliefs about how the aftereffects of the war are influencing them. In fact, I believe the opening song is giving on hints on what unfolds for those two.

I'm also to agree that Chrno Crusade is a suitable comparison for Pumpkin Scissors, at least what respects to the characters.
Rosette / Alice standing to the uncertain future with courage and desire to move one.
Chrno / Orland coping with the tragedy of the past.

My only wish, however, is that the writers don't come to the decision of screwing up Alice's personality once the big mess shows up near at the end. I really like her tantrums, but she could do fine without some quirks, for example, like her redundant speeches.

What I summarize for this episode simply put is that the average and mainstream people don't want blabber-mouthed promises shove at their faces, they want actions be made and true to their words.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 20:39   Link #288
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Age: 31
Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Oland's weaponary seems to be a handheld railgun.
Eh, railgun requires electricity. And if it was, it doesn't need to have a breach.

As Sonhex pointed out.

Besides watching episode 02 again, the way he holds the round in his mouth i can fairly judge the calibre of orland weapon is, roughly .50/12.72mm which is a common calibre for machine guns and snipers. It's able to penetrate armour of up to 1mm with standard round, up to 3mm with tungsten core. Anything more then 3mm is pushing it. And it's impossible to fire with one hand, unsupported.

Plus there are better ways of getting closer to a tank ,without walking forwards like a zombie, there is a thing called speed, agility, and simple advice of be unpredictable. Which as everyone can see, a zombie is not.


I guess I have to agree with Sonhex, that this anime requires to follow the rules of anime. its not really aiming for any sort of realism or establish common real world rules of reality.




Personally, if your going to do that at leased establish the non-realistic rules, such as Chrno Crusade. Which anything that seem unreal, can be put down to demonic physics and magic.



bah.
__________________
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 01:52   Link #289
Shades
Kali Kompton Hoodlum
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Hm. Not sure if I'm a fan of the male lead's looks(Rand)...but I like Alice well enough. Maybe the difference of a rather hulking non girly looking male lead will grow on me, nya?

Looks like I'll have to wait a bit on the second ep...old tracker seems to be hosed and they aren't putting up a link to the new one yet... third ep is already downloaded
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 02:23   Link #290
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 45
The easiest approach would be to go to #eclipse on Rizon and simply get it from the bots.

With the collapse of Point-Blank we're currently organizing things and will move them to the new tracker in a coherent fashion soon.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 02:25   Link #291
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Alice is such a great character! XD Maybe it was after watching Zero no Tsukaima immediately before this, and the fact that I abhor Louise's character may be what made me appreciate her more. :Heh: She doesn't fly off the handle every chance she gets like some tsundere characters, she's proven herself to be reasonable, she's stubborn but not stupid... yay.
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 05:18   Link #292
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
They were only speculations based on what i have gathered so far and also from other animes that have taken this kind of premise example Zero No Tsukamia. Im honored that you think everything that i have stated will come to fruition


Your so right there has to be a ball Nobles are really big about that sort of stuff it would be nice to see Alice all dressed up. Heres an example

http://ningen.nattoli.net/downloads/wallpapers/Pumpkin-Scissors/[Ningen]wallpapers-Pumpkin-Scissors-1-1024x768.jpg
Naw man I was actually just joking around with a sarcastic statement. Since what you mentioned were cliches. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar towards what you said will occur in the show.
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 05:41   Link #293
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mortuary : D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra;

[URL="http://ningen.nattoli.net/downloads/wallpapers/Pumpkin-Scissors/[Ningen
wallpapers-Pumpkin-Scissors-1-1024x768.jpg"]http://ningen.nattoli.net/downloads/wallpapers/Pumpkin-Scissors/[Ningen]wallpapers-Pumpkin-Scissors-1-1024x768.jpg[/URL]

Thanx for the wallpaper , Pumkin Scissors has already become my fave anime among the new crop of anime out =)
__________________
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 11:25   Link #294
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
There's that curious item from the OP. What is that? Looks like a capsule or a case of some kind. From the OP looks like it's related to her mother in some way. Here's a close up of it on the official site.
It honestly looks like a message canister. Probably in remembrance of her mother? Or wait! Her mother's ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
Personally, if your going to do that at leased establish the non-realistic rules
Last Exile was pretty unrealistic, in protraying boxes that could fly; and I dont recall them establishing any physical explanations for it as well (as with Gundams which must be the most anti-aerodynamic ----- in Anime); yet it was still so good. But, I'm sure that which you mentioned above (quoted) will occur later into the series.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-10-22 at 11:38.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 13:42   Link #295
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Age: 31
Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Last Exile was pretty unrealistic, in protraying boxes that could fly; and I dont recall them establishing any physical explanations for it as well (as with Gundams which must be the most anti-aerodynamic ----- in Anime); yet it was still so good. But, I'm sure that which you mentioned above (quoted) will occur later into the series.
but your wrong, the minute we saw flying boxes, you knew there was something different about the world the anime is in, it established that unrealistic things can be done in it, this tells the viewers to suspend his/her conventional belief. Its the same from Gundam, straight away, Big robots, space ships. However for Pumpkin Scissor, it portrayed a gritty, world war II style era, that shows NOTHING to suggest this world has anything different in how the technology physics work, except in physcological use of technology, i.e. the "blue light", everything else, the viewer assumes they work just like that.

Even the use of the chemical warfare Tank shells is nothing unique.

But for a handgun to be used against a tank, even in it's most vunerable spots, just doesn't work. If Orland had some sort of brace, on his arm or the way the weapon is loaded or visually look, it would suggest that weapon technology has advance beyond what we current know in reality. But nothing.
__________________
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 16:55   Link #296
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
It honestly looks like a message canister. Probably in remembrance of her mother? Or wait! Her mother's ashes


Last Exile was pretty unrealistic, in protraying boxes that could fly; and I dont recall them establishing any physical explanations for it as well (as with Gundams which must be the most anti-aerodynamic ----- in Anime); yet it was still so good. But, I'm sure that which you mentioned above (quoted) will occur later into the series.
YOu mean Van-ships.. T?Hey talked about the mechanics of the machines. Its kinda like FF12 except its an anime, and has no affiliation with SQuare.
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 17:33   Link #297
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
but your wrong, the minute we saw flying boxes, you knew there was something different about the world the anime is in, it established that unrealistic things can be done in it, this tells the viewers to suspend his/her conventional belief. Its the same from Gundam, straight away, Big robots, space ships. However for Pumpkin Scissor, it portrayed a gritty, world war II style era, that shows NOTHING to suggest this world has anything different in how the technology physics work, except in physcological use of technology, i.e. the "blue light", everything else, the viewer assumes they work just like that.
Hey, this is GONZO (also true for anime in general) we are talking about, in Speedgrapher a genetic mutation (or was it an illness?) gave one man the ability to explode objects with his camera. You are right though, so far the inherent logic of the techological development in the world of Pumpkin Scissors seems very much wrong, not that this bothers me much for now, I expect things to become clearer.
__________________
'The world we live in is always in darkness.'
'Yes, and that is why we seek light.'

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 19:50   Link #298
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Hey, this is GONZO (also true for anime in general) we are talking about, in Speedgrapher a genetic mutation (or was it an illness?) gave one man the ability to explode objects with his camera. You are right though, so far the inherent logic of the techological development in the world of Pumpkin Scissors seems very much wrong, not that this bothers me much for now, I expect things to become clearer.
Pumpkin Scissors has a wrong idea of technological development?

How so?
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 22:42   Link #299
Kikaifan
Blazing General
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
Eh, railgun requires electricity. And if it was, it doesn't need to have a breach.

As Sonhex pointed out.

Besides watching episode 02 again, the way he holds the round in his mouth i can fairly judge the calibre of orland weapon is, roughly .50/12.72mm which is a common calibre for machine guns and snipers. It's able to penetrate armour of up to 1mm with standard round, up to 3mm with tungsten core. Anything more then 3mm is pushing it. And it's impossible to fire with one hand, unsupported.
.50 rifle and MG rounds are good against ~20mm of steel depending on type. ~30mm with a sabot. Of course, he's got a pistol...
__________________
Kikaifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 02:44   Link #300
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan View Post
.50 rifle and MG rounds are good against ~20mm of steel depending on type. ~30mm with a sabot. Of course, he's got a pistol...
Its possible to design a pistol that can handle a .50 caliber rifle round. The problem with that is the recoil factor.. I can see it being unrealistic then, but in terms of rather we can do it or not. ITs possible. Not smart but possible. .

Plus its just an anime.

Anyone who tries to find realism in anime is just wasting time. Enjoy the show. Its a form of fictional entertainment.
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.