AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-21, 16:25   Link #1
myopius

Question 50+ episode shounen anime, or thereabouts

My town's local anime club likes to air one or two major series (with a bit of various other series thrown in occasionally when somebody isn't there to supply more episodes, or has something special they want to throw in) for half the school year. For instance, two years ago we watched Naruto ~#25-#75, and this past year they attempted to watch Monster or MAR, I forget which since wasn't there, but I think got lazy or something and weren't able to arrange it.

So, what are some good shows that last for more than the usual ~26 episodes? I know of Bleach, Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, Monster, MAR, Fushigi Yuugi, and Juuni Kokuki (the latter two which I'm looking into right now). The kind of anime that's best, that causes people to pay attention, is from what I've seen, shounen, which makes sense since the club is composed mainly of high school students and college students though with the emotional maturity of middle schoolers or very complex monkeys, and ideally shounen that doesn't slow down frequently and has simple dialogue or you don't need to read the dialogue to be able to get a good idea of what's going on and enjoy the action. People paid a surprising amount of attention to Naruto for those reasons, I think.

Other small notes: people tend to pay attention to what's airing when the music changes, or when all of a sudden there's a noise that's unexpected, for instance. Also, they enjoy comedic dialogue much more than dialogue that's significant to character development. For instance, in a recent airing of Welcome to the NHK, they paid close attention when Satou was hallucinating the conspiracy due to the music and odd effects, slightly less but still excellent attention when he was talking to Misaki's aunt at the door, and then their attention pretty much faded as he shut the door and started reminiscing about how he had become a hikikomori. If you could keep in mind that kind of thing's the kind of thing which will keep people entertained when recommending something, that would rock. However, it's not necessary to keep those things in mind absolutely, since it's not like people will stop coming to club if they don't pay attention to the show every second, since that hasn't been the main attraction of meetings for years now.

Also, if you think of a good anime that's say ~26 episodes but which you think people would really like, that could be awesome, it's a whole one month's worth of airing, I just mentioned 50+ since that's the ideal # of episodes. So, anything you can suggest would be awesome. Thanks!
Old 2006-08-21, 16:32   Link #2
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Keroro Gunso? Though you do have to read and follow the dialogue, it's almost all comedic though.
Maybe One Piece (I've never seen it).

Technically I'm not really sure how'd you watch Bleach, FMA, Juuni Kokuki, or Monster without reading the dialogue - they all have long bits that are just talking. I can't really speak for Naruto, One Piece or Fushigi Yugi (I've only seen bits of each one, the most of Fushigi Yugi, next would be One Piece and Naruto which I've only seen an episode of each) but I find it weird to imagine that there could be a whole lot of series you could follow without having to pay attention to the "talking parts".

EDIT: Gah, I forgot Yakitate Japan. It's about making bread, but it's really mostly about making jokes.

Also, School Rumble will be 52 episodes if you combine the first and second seasons - Major and Tsubasa Chronicles would both also be over 50 episodes with both seasons. Though I'm unsure if you'd be able to follow along with Tsubasa without reading.

Last edited by rooboy; 2006-08-21 at 16:44.
Old 2006-08-21, 16:37   Link #3
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Since you're looking for shounen in general:

One Piece: Almost 280 episodes and still going good.

Yuusha Oh Gaogaigar and Gaogaigar FINAL OVA: 49 + 8 episodes of the most hot blooded heroes.

EDIT: Oh and the Digimon series, they are great. The only reason people are complaining about the anime is because they watched the dubs. Season 5 is getting exciting now, I'd recommend you to watch it.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-08-21, 17:02   Link #4
HXHFMP
a world's hunt

warning: it's a fullmetal alchemist material because a story cannot resolve around basically about fighting but except for Naruto,DBZ, and bleach. that won't come to a same similarity with others anime and that is also the reason why they say these shows are childish but except for bleach of course.

Hunter x Hunter - in a little similarity with bleach,DBZ,Naruto. this anime is supported because of the plot. the anime is very emotional and unpredictable. only problem with it is that from episode 1 till 22, the graphic is kinda off but not totally in the wrong way, however in some degree to think this anime is weak. and if i should remind you that hunter x hunter is unpredictable because for instance you may see in the beginning that the main character handle against his opponents with a rod but later on in the furthur episodes his hands are equal to an...........i won't spoil it. i think there are more than 80 episodes and watching this anime is very addictive, thefore it's possible to be able to finish it in two days as many people experienced the same thing.
Old 2006-08-21, 17:11   Link #5
Budweineken
Crap

I'll second Hunter X Hunter and One Piece, those are my two favorite shounen series. Of a similar note, you can try Yu Yu Hakusho.

My real recommendation is Hajime no Ippo, it's about boxing, with lots of great action and it's really one of the most genuine and funniest animes around.
Old 2006-08-21, 17:55   Link #6
mit7059

Go with Eureka seveN, its 50 episodes exactly, and is very, very good.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-08-21, 22:31   Link #7
Zython
Card-carrying Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budweineken
I'll second Hunter X Hunter and One Piece, those are my two favorite shounen series. Of a similar note, you can try Yu Yu Hakusho.
Yes, those three are good shounen serieses. I would also reccomend Bleach, and possibly Eyeshield 21 if your club likes shounen sports. Black Cat is a good, short shounen action series (23 episodes) that I would reccomend. You may also want to look into Utawarerumono.
Old 2006-08-21, 22:37   Link #8
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I don't think Utawarerumono is shounen, especially when it originates from an ero strategy game lol

Not shounen, but its a good anime.

Old 2006-08-21, 22:56   Link #9
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
I don't think Utawarerumono is shounen, especially when it originates from an ero strategy game lol

Not shounen, but its a good anime.
I don't think shounen was a strict category requirement since Monster is seinen (the same as Utawarerumono), Fushigi Yugi is shoujo, and I'm pretty sure that Juuni Kokku is shoujo as well.
Old 2006-08-21, 22:59   Link #10
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I'd recommend Utawarerumono as well, but do remember that its only 26 episodes.

Not shounen, less than 50 episodes, so it isn't exactly what myopius is looking for.

Old 2006-08-21, 23:02   Link #11
Zython
Card-carrying Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
I'd recommend Utawarerumono as well, but do remember that its only 26 episodes.

Not shounen, less than 50 episodes, so it isn't exactly what myopius is looking for.
Anime News Network defines it as such. And he did ask for 26 episode serieses as a secondary request. It's near the bottom of his post.
Old 2006-08-21, 23:32   Link #12
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zython
Anime News Network defines it as such. And he did ask for 26 episode serieses as a secondary request. It's near the bottom of his post.
Geh, I hate it when people link some anime site as proof that the anime falls within a certain genre. AniDB, AnimeNfo, and Wikipedia do not say it is shounen... but then all these sites are updated by some guy who has his own opinion (animeNfo has is as Drama/Game/Harem... thats a laugh)

Just call Utawarerumono adventure/fantasy ^^ anyways i think anyone looking for shounen wouldn't have a problem with it.
Old 2006-08-22, 01:09   Link #13
mit7059

I find the whole Shonen, Shoju etc. genre stuff annoying, what's it matter who it was "intended" for, the simpsons was intended for adults, but kids love it. (hmm maybe using an american example doesn't bode well in this community) but really, if you enjoy it thats great, you shouldn't have to argue about what genre it is simply because you feel that you should only like a certain genre, or that you should have to protect a genre. I find that over classification of shows is a bad thing, because people will avoid shows that they could like, simply because they're "in" a genre that they assume they won't like

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-08-22, 01:34   Link #14
Zython
Card-carrying Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
Just call Utawarerumono adventure/fantasy ^^ anyways i think anyone looking for shounen wouldn't have a problem with it.

And peace rolled thoughout the land.

Shounen or otherwise, your club will probably enjoy it.
Old 2006-08-22, 08:06   Link #15
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Actually, You said it in your oringal one. Twelve Kingdoms, Your probably not going to find a better one.
Old 2006-08-22, 09:23   Link #16
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
I find the whole Shonen, Shoju etc. genre stuff annoying, what's it matter who it was "intended" for, the simpsons was intended for adults, but kids love it. (hmm maybe using an american example doesn't bode well in this community) but really, if you enjoy it thats great, you shouldn't have to argue about what genre it is simply because you feel that you should only like a certain genre, or that you should have to protect a genre. I find that over classification of shows is a bad thing, because people will avoid shows that they could like, simply because they're "in" a genre that they assume they won't like
I find it annoying too - especially when people make statements like "I basically just like shoujo" and then start listing seinen series. Part of the beauty of manga magazines is that they recognize that not all boys (or girls) are the same. The same manga magazine that serializes Negima and Tsubasa Chronicles also includes Boys Be (well, before it ended) and School Rumble.
Old 2006-08-23, 10:38   Link #17
FireDetei
Online Gamer.

not too many series ive seen that are 30+

The ones ive seen and also recommend are:

Dragonball Z - has around 300 episodes and around 13 40-50 min films.
Hajime no Ippo - 75 eps and erm 2 films i think
Full Metal Alchemist - watched it a long tiem ago, has alot of eps if i remember
Full Metal Panic - if you take all the 3 series its something like around 50 eps

Also I don't think anyone else has mentioned Rurouni Kenshin - 95 eps and aint too bad. I thought was good.
Closed Thread