AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-04-01, 04:59   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
One Piece - Chapter 538 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 05:42   Link #2
nicepace
The congueror Of The EAST
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
well if that spoiler is true.. its nice a 'hormone hormone fruit'
so Luffi wouldn't changed to be a girl afterall...
__________________
If you really want to be happy, nobody can stop you
nicepace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 06:04   Link #3
kari-no-sugata
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
It's a bit hard to figure out all what's going on here, but I think that scene with Iwa saying he'll take 10 years of Luffy's life is a flashback - ie it's before he started treatment. So Iwa's saying, miracles aren't for free - it'll take 10 years off your life to cure you. And Luffy simply says "okay". Towards the end of the chapter, it looks like Luffy has healed much faster than Iwa expected and is now shouting for food, rather than screaming. Looks like Luffy healed in 10 hours instead of about 60.

In the meantime, it looks like Iwa "officially" introduces "Level 6" (even get a little diagram) which seems to be reserved for prisoners who are on death row or who will never be released. We're also told about a new character in Level 6 - Shinryuu, who's part of ID but kept killing off prisoners. It seems that he's kept locked up part / most of the time - looks like Luffy's going to have to face him before Magellan.
__________________
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 06:42   Link #4
ChaosPaladin
Bringer of Order & Chaos
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
yay, i am correct abt iva df. i sort of guess tt it is hormone food and can speed up healing processes. this seriously make iva san quite an imba character considering he/she can boost everyone and heal everyone(even though at a lost of their life -- much similar to tsunade of naruto)

hmmmm, i guess the new boss is even harder to beat than magellan considering magellan still knows how to hold back (he din give luffy the finishing move afterall). will be quite interested to know how this new char looks like
ChaosPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 07:46   Link #5
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In a class of my own.
How interesting...A homo-ne homo-ne man...Yes. Great.

This okama thing is being used a bit too much. I think Oda is trying to push propoganda through his manga. Like during the Sky Island arc when we had the flashback about the history behind Norland and the great Calgara, and all that.

In this respect I don't applaud Oda's efforts.

Either way: The whole 'New Kama' and 'Okama King' thing is getting harped on too much.
__________________
Rev. Niemöller, on Nazi Germany:

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
holypanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 08:17   Link #6
Prestige
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Grand Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
How interesting...A homo-ne homo-ne man...Yes. Great.

This okama thing is being used a bit too much. I think Oda is trying to push propoganda through his manga. Like during the Sky Island arc when we had the flashback about the history behind Norland and the great Calgara, and all that.

In this respect I don't applaud Oda's efforts.

Either way: The whole 'New Kama' and 'Okama King' thing is getting harped on too much.
Erm there is not okama stuff in this chapter, its about Luffy's healing process and it reveals that there IS level 6 level, also explains Ivans powers and how excatly Luffy is healed.

Norland flashback was one of top moments in One piece for me, it was that awesome.
Prestige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 08:24   Link #7
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In a class of my own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
Erm there is not okama stuff in this chapter, its about Luffy's healing process and it reveals that there IS level 6 level, also explains Ivans powers and how excatly Luffy is healed.

Norland flashback was one of top moments in One piece for me, it was that awesome.
There isn't any Okama stuff...? So the Okamas prancing around, and the great Okama King...I guess that doesn't count, huh?

I wasn't asking you whether or not you liked the Norland Flashback arc. I also loved that whole arc. I was just pointing it out for reference.

By reading through my post, and analyzing the words I used, to get my tone, you can easily see that I wasn't complaining, but just cautiously outlining a pattern of idea-pushing that Oda launches into once in a while, and stating that I don't agree with it.
__________________
Rev. Niemöller, on Nazi Germany:

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
holypanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 08:32   Link #8
Rageaholic01
Kaizoku
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
So he loses ten years of his lifespan.. added to the fact that using the gears takes away from his lifespan.

At this rate Luffy's gooing to die before he reaches Raftel
__________________
Rageaholic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 09:57   Link #9
ChaosPaladin
Bringer of Order & Chaos
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rageaholic01 View Post
So he loses ten years of his lifespan.. added to the fact that using the gears takes away from his lifespan.

At this rate Luffy's gooing to die before he reaches Raftel
haha later it is revealed tt luffy has similar lifespan as giant due to his "good family gene". a few years taken away won't hurt
ChaosPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 10:04   Link #10
Trax
Rock beats scissors
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Perhaps it won't take away as much from Luffy's lifespan as you'd expect since his body is pretty resilient (being rubber 'n all).
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 10:46   Link #11
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Retracing my steps.....
Meh. Gol d. Roger died fairly young, so why not Luffy as well.

After all, the brightest flame will often burn out the quickest.
__________________
"Do what I do in every friendship and relationship, give 5%" - Ron Bennington
TooPurePureBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 11:16   Link #12
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
How interesting...A homo-ne homo-ne man...Yes. Great.

This okama thing is being used a bit too much. I think Oda is trying to push propoganda through his manga. Like during the Sky Island arc when we had the flashback about the history behind Norland and the great Calgara, and all that.

In this respect I don't applaud Oda's efforts.

Either way: The whole 'New Kama' and 'Okama King' thing is getting harped on too much.
Propoganda? Well, I can kind of see how Oda bringing up complete Gender Equality could be considered propganda (why you are upset with the concept of Gender Equality, I do not know...), but I am not sure what that has to do with the Norland flashback. Was there some sort of cultural message in the Norland flashback I simply never learned (due to the fact that I am not Japanese)?

That being said, I certainly understand your complaint about Oda harping on the whole Okama Paradise a little too much. While it does not personally bug me yet, I will say that another 2 or 3 chapters of just Okamas prancing around will stale the funniess and hilarity of the group (it would be like having 3-4 chapters of Brook telling his Bone Jokes over and over - the jokes only work when they have sufficient distance between them, otherwise there hilarity quickly diminishes.)
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 11:25   Link #13
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosPaladin View Post
haha later it is revealed tt luffy has similar lifespan as giant due to his "good family gene". a few years taken away won't hurt
The letter "D" in Monkey and roger family.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 14:14   Link #14
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 25
Don't forget that Roger died due to an illness which he intentionally didn't cure for quite a while, the man wasn't immortal...I don't mind the okama way, I still find it very funny that there's a simulated gay bar in the world's most fearsome prison, and as for Luffy's lifespan maybe he can create a gear 4th that increases it instead by sending him to hybernation, who knows.
__________________
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 14:58   Link #15
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Nice to know that another 8 hours have elapsed and that Ace is being taken away right now. What I found very interesting was the fact that Impel Down actually has (or used to have) two Chief Wardens; Shiryuu and Magellan. Apparently, Shiryuu is equal in strength to Magellan, it's just that he is far too brutal and has no restraint over his actions since he constantly kills prisoners. For this reason, he has been imprisoned on Level 6 and probably keeps watch over that area occasionally. The inclusion of Shiryuu into this whole mess means double trouble for Luffy, since now there are two potential bosses to deal with.

Personally, I don't think that Luffy is going to be able to deal with them one after the other, let alone both of them at the same time. Since Ace is being taken away right now, by the time Luffy goes to rescue him, he will be gone. However, that still leaves Jimbei. What I think will happen is that Luffy will set Jimbei free and that Jimbei will be the one to fight Shiryuu, whereas Luffy will get his rematch against Magellan. It works out perfectly since that scenario will allow for Jimbei to show us what he can do and for Luffy to get his revenge against Magellan.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 15:18   Link #16
Phenomenal
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma
Nice to know that another 8 hours have elapsed and that Ace is being taken away right now.
As an addendum, that leaves us with eight hours till Ace's execution.

Last edited by Phenomenal; 2009-04-01 at 15:34.
Phenomenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 15:35   Link #17
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 25
Quote:
What I think will happen is that Luffy will set Jimbei free and that Jimbei will be the one to fight Shiryuu, whereas Luffy will get his rematch against Magellan.
I says Bon Clay disguises as Nami and puts Shinryuu against Magellan, and Luffy gets off the hook just this once
nah that's pure fanfiction, but if Luffy doesn't do anything actually useful won't he just lose and melt away?
__________________
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 15:42   Link #18
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In a class of my own.
OMG...I really don't think Lufy will be the one to save Ace if he really will be saved. It's really setting up to be a tragic disappointment for Luffy yet again.

Like a sort of addition to the compounding failures during the past two or so arcs. I guess if Whitebeard is the one who eventually saves Ace, then Luffy would feel slighted in that sense that if Whitebeard wasn't around, then Ace would have surely died.

At this point, I'm not hoping, or anything, please don't get me wrong, but I think it might be a good thing if Ace dies. I'm confident enough to sa that he won't, but It would have had some dramatic effect, for sure.
__________________
Rev. Niemöller, on Nazi Germany:

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
holypanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 15:52   Link #19
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Nice to know that another 8 hours have elapsed and that Ace is being taken away right now. What I found very interesting was the fact that Impel Down actually has (or used to have) two Chief Wardens; Shiryuu and Magellan. Apparently, Shiryuu is equal in strength to Magellan, it's just that he is far too brutal and has no restraint over his actions since he constantly kills prisoners. For this reason, he has been imprisoned on Level 6 and probably keeps watch over that area occasionally. The inclusion of Shiryuu into this whole mess means double trouble for Luffy, since now there are two potential bosses to deal with.

Personally, I don't think that Luffy is going to be able to deal with them one after the other, let alone both of them at the same time. Since Ace is being taken away right now, by the time Luffy goes to rescue him, he will be gone. However, that still leaves Jimbei. What I think will happen is that Luffy will set Jimbei free and that Jimbei will be the one to fight Shiryuu, whereas Luffy will get his rematch against Magellan. It works out perfectly since that scenario will allow for Jimbei to show us what he can do and for Luffy to get his revenge against Magellan.
I wouldn't quite say that. The history of Shounen is filled with arcs in which the main character gets a new power-up, and then has to battle several similar level opponents one right after another (Kenshin, from Rurouni Kenshin, immediatly springs to mind - he had to battle Aoshi, Soujiro, and then finally Shishio all within a 2-3 hour time period, and the only reason he could battle all 3 was due to his new power-up move, the Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki). So, if Luffy can gain a strong enough foothold on Haki (and whatever it may do), then I see the battles becoming fairly equal, but, if Luffy does not gain some semblence of control over his Haki, then I would agree that it seems almost impossible for him to battle two Wardens.

That being said, even if Luffy does manage to defeat Magellan and the newly introduced Shiryuu, he would still ahve to deal with the Vice-Admiral OR Admiral that is sent to escort Ace to his execution.

Last edited by james0246; 2009-04-01 at 16:28.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 15:55   Link #20
Rainbowman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 1431 Highland Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Nice to know that another 8 hours have elapsed and that Ace is being taken away right now. What I found very interesting was the fact that Impel Down actually has (or used to have) two Chief Wardens; Shiryuu and Magellan. Apparently, Shiryuu is equal in strength to Magellan, it's just that he is far too brutal and has no restraint over his actions since he constantly kills prisoners. For this reason, he has been imprisoned on Level 6 and probably keeps watch over that area occasionally. The inclusion of Shiryuu into this whole mess means double trouble for Luffy, since now there are two potential bosses to deal with.

Personally, I don't think that Luffy is going to be able to deal with them one after the other, let alone both of them at the same time. Since Ace is being taken away right now, by the time Luffy goes to rescue him, he will be gone. However, that still leaves Jimbei. What I think will happen is that Luffy will set Jimbei free and that Jimbei will be the one to fight Shiryuu, whereas Luffy will get his rematch against Magellan. It works out perfectly since that scenario will allow for Jimbei to show us what he can do and for Luffy to get his revenge against Magellan.
I think Luffy should try and face this Shiryuu instead of having a rematch with Magellan. I should hope that Shiryuu doesn't an unfair advantage like Magellan did. BTW, perhaps a picture of Shiryuu is in order.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.