AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2008-12-12, 13:58   Link #2881
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopo View Post
I loved R2 actually
A lot of plot hole, some things screwed (Kallen's BG, CC's, Marianne) But the serie was awesome in my eyes; Now If they bring back Lelouch to please fans...i'll try to convince myself that this second serie doesn't exist. Just like destiny.
Gundam Seed ended up Turn 50, who heard about Shinn Asuka ? >_<
Well obviously it was a joke

Honestly though, R2 was a mixed bag for me for the most part, certainly there were things I liked that made it an enjoyable series, but on the other hand, how they handled the series, especially the characters that were not Lelouch, dropped the series a few notches. The characters you mentioned, were shafted, some more so then others, and for what? More time to give us those "oh so great" Ashford scenes, and pointless characters that went nowhere (see Gino, I honestly cannot see the point of him even being in the anime besides to glomp Suzaku, his whole trying to understand Suzaku theme was just dropped.). Sure I will not fault anyone that would rate R2 as like the best series ever if they chose to but I still personally see R2 as a series that could have been one of the best, but fell short of the mark. It is a good series but cannot really be called "Great".
Old 2008-12-12, 14:03   Link #2882
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
R2 was awesome
until ep 20 that is
then you have a two ep arc that is besiclly a eva knockoff
and a final arc that, while a nice idea, is just chock full of bad writing which seems to be exclusive to sunrise
1)people coming back from the dead (sometimes for no reason)- check
2)former good guy army acting like morons- check
3)a final big bad who turns out to be neither big nor bad (but who nevertheless gets his own superweapon) -check
4)overpowered hax mecha developed in a very short time- check
5)pointless SEED mode-check

its like they were stuck on "how to finish the anime" and someone pointed out
"lets have two xanatos gambits clash, take lelouch and shnizel, give each of them half of CB's plan from gundam 00, and run with it"
shnizel does what the gundam misters THINK they are out to do (eliminating war by intimidation) while lelouch does what the CB are ACTUALLY MENT TO DO (unite the world against them)
Old 2008-12-12, 14:10   Link #2883
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
R2 was awesome
until ep 20 that is
then you have a two ep arc that is besiclly a eva knockoff
and a final arc that, while a nice idea, is just chock full of bad writing which seems to be exclusive to sunrise
1)people coming back from the dead (sometimes for no reason)- check
2)former good guy army acting like morons- check
3)a final big bad who turns out to be neither big nor bad (but who nevertheless gets his own superweapon) -check
4)overpowered hax mecha developed in a very short time- check
5)pointless SEED mode-check

its like they were stuck on "how to finish the anime" and someone pointed out
"lets have two xanatos gambits clash, take lelouch and shnizel, give each of them half of CB's plan from gundam 00, and run with it"
shnizel does what the gundam misters THINK they are out to do (eliminating war by intimidation) while lelouch does what the CB are ACTUALLY MENT TO DO (unite the world against them)
I'd agree mostly with this except that still the Ashford scenes were out of place and largely unnecessary and really added nothing to the overall plot. I am not one to automatically bag on fanservice, but looking aback on the series as a whole. The early pacing and focus of Ashford attributed to the lack of development for major plot points in the latter half of the series. The whole Charles and Marriane Ragnarok think should have been done a hell of a lot better, considering that it was something that was running along in the series since the beginning.
Old 2008-12-12, 14:17   Link #2884
Lolipopo
Srsly ?
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_god04 View Post
Well obviously it was a joke

Honestly though, R2 was a mixed bag for me for the most part, certainly there were things I liked that made it an enjoyable series, but on the other hand, how they handled the series, especially the characters that were not Lelouch, dropped the series a few notches. The characters you mentioned, were shafted, some more so then others, and for what? More time to give us those "oh so great" Ashford scenes, and pointless characters that went nowhere (see Gino, I honestly cannot see the point of him even being in the anime besides to glomp Suzaku, his whole trying to understand Suzaku theme was just dropped.). Sure I will not fault anyone that would rate R2 as like the best series ever if they chose to but I still personally see R2 as a series that could have been one of the best, but fell short of the mark. It is a good series but cannot really be called "Great".
I agree totally with that.
Even if I happened to like some new characterr through the serie, I don't really see the point of their appearance at the end;

-Gino, his "bond" with Suzaku was finally meaningless, his whole speeach about Suzaku's true smile where forgotten and he was just there to catch Kallen in turn 25; I liked his relationship with Anya though, but even that was wasted; they hardly interact in the second half of R2 while they seemed a sort of interesting duet to start.

-Anya : Just a way to introduce Marianne...seriously she was totally useless, and I saw plenty more interesting speculations about what she could be than the true one finally; Even her birthdate (I day away from Nunally's) was a troll -_-

-Rollo: I never really liked or disliked him, to me he was there to be there, but I believed in some blood relationship with Lulu and Nunally...and no, nothing. I guess he was a way to introduce the geass cult...well at least his death was really good.

Finally those characters were more or less wasted at the expense of important characters who were already there in S1 and could have got their BG *coughKallencough*or more meaningful screentime *coughC.C.cough*

If at least they could have got a decent devellopment but no; Though when we see others Knight of grounds, formers get at least some piece of the cake -_-

Now I wonder if they had others plans about Marianne, C.C. and the geass plot, cause this was certainly the least good to me; So much things wrapped up so fast and so bad; And so much inconsistencies with the first season.

At least, even if we didn't learn her BG and her father role (Though I'm kind of happy about that sometimes, I feared a Princess Leia pushed on CG Everything is possible with Kallen) Kallen got her shinning moments in R2, so this is already that; same thing for Lelouch or others characters, But the Geass side of the plot...no, just no.

Lol at Ashford BTW, I wasn't a fan of those turns (especially Turn 12 ...zzZZZzzzZZZzz) but Turn 5 was awesome. Mwahahahaha the ridiculous race and CC in the tomatos ! Priceless.
Blade : OMG. I forgot the amazing resurrection. What was the need to screw the amazing Guilford's death seriously

Lolipopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 14:17   Link #2885
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
I'd agree mostly with this except that still the Ashford scenes were out of place and largely unnecessary and really added nothing to the overall plot.
Well Ahsford was a big part of Lelouch's life anyway and NOT EVERY single thing does have to have actual effect on the plotline. But still, especially in R2, A epis were not much and they usually took place after ruckus-mecha-fight filled epis and there were there to lighten the mood. That, until their ending scenes, that were always screwed up and leading to the next epi that was actually relevant to the plot. {check 5 and 12}

What really shits in my tea, was Marianne-plotline. God, here we talk about the huge-universe-hole. I mean, look at S1 and everyone babbling about her in oh-so-pride-way and look at R2. Pathetic, you ask me.
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 14:26   Link #2886
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Well what really killed it for me though was that the Ashford episodes broke the tone the series set. I mean at the end of R1 we had everything going to hell with the Black Rebellion and everything ending with the tension between Suzaku and Lelouch in the cave. R2 somewhat brought that back despite the little reset with how Suzaku turned Lelouch in, the rescue of the Black Knights and everything but the tension that those events built up was then wasted when we get that chase and tomato and pizza thing. It did not serve to add anything to the story at all but rather served to break up the more serious tone that the story was shifting towards.

Comedy was good, in the first season it was a part of the charm of the series, but by R2, especially with how R1 ended, the story has progressed to the point that it did not need those scenes or even warranted such scenes.
Old 2008-12-12, 14:36   Link #2887
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
Well what really killed it for me though was that the Ashford episodes broke the tone the series set. I mean at the end of R1 we had everything going to hell with the Black Rebellion and everything ending with the tension between Suzaku and Lelouch in the cave. R2 somewhat brought that back despite the little reset with how Suzaku turned Lelouch in, the rescue of the Black Knights and everything but the tension that those events built up was then wasted when we get that chase and tomato and pizza thing. It did not serve to add anything to the story at all but rather served to break up the more serious tone that the story was shifting towards.
Well i guess this is a matter of taste then. But really, i never saw "Code Geass" as the most srsz bzness series, i mean it was not "Monster' material. It had everything in it. Even with the way S1 ended. There was a reset in R2 first epi, like everything went back to S1 setting about everyone else except those that were involved with Emperor's geass and knew about it. It is not like Lulu could fly away and leave Ashford academy, so the epis were needed on this field as well. And there were not much epis anyway. I was more "meh" with the Xing-ke//Tianzi epis. But anyway, to each his own.
I have to agree with a lot of charas being waste of screentime though.
Old 2008-12-12, 14:41   Link #2888
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrupts View Post
Well Ahsford was a big part of Lelouch's life anyway and NOT EVERY single thing does have to have actual effect on the plotline. But still, especially in R2, A epis were not much and they usually took place after ruckus-mecha-fight filled epis and there were there to lighten the mood. That, until their ending scenes, that were always screwed up and leading to the next epi that was actually relevant to the plot. {check 5 and 12}

What really shits in my tea, was Marianne-plotline. God, here we talk about the huge-universe-hole. I mean, look at S1 and everyone babbling about her in oh-so-pride-way and look at R2. Pathetic, you ask me.
That is the thing, you say an episode is not much but look at the Marianne plotline you brought up. What if she had the time that was given to Ashford? Hell if she even had half the time that was devoted to those Ashford centred episodes dispersed throughout R2 to provide more to her character, that would have been better.

The point is that did R2 need those episode to "lighten the mood"? You have Lulu bringing the Black Knights and his fight to Britannia to a Global stage and you follow that up with... girls chasing Lelouch around Ashford?

While Code Geass may not have been completely serious in the begining of R1, though I'd argue that the themes were, at the end of R1 the series has taken that turn.

-edit-

I am not saying Lelouch has to completely leave Ashford but that there should not be whole episodes devoted to the place.
Old 2008-12-12, 14:50   Link #2889
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
That is the thing, you say an episode is not much but look at the Marianne plotline you brought up. What if she had the time that was given to Ashford? Hell if she even had half the time that was devoted to those Ashford centred episodes dispersed throughout R2 to provide more to her character, that would have been better.

The point is that did R2 need those episode to "lighten the mood"? You have Lulu bringing the Black Knights and his fight to Britannia to a Global stage and you follow that up with... girls chasing Lelouch around Ashford?

While Code Geass may not have been completely serious in the begining of R1, though I'd argue that the themes were, at the end of R1 the series has taken that turn.
Well like i said, maybe it is because of the fact that i greatly enjoyed the Ashford epis and gave me a good lol. And still, even when that loser boy Gino was being chased around from girls, in the end the epi had the serious tone it needed for the next epi to follow.
Blame the pace then, i say, if there was more screentime about C.C as well and not just a lousy epi, if Marianne had more screentime she might not have ended like a hyper-bitch and a lot of other themes that could have been explored. Kallen's bro, Cecile and Loyd etc. etc. This applies general to R2. Nonetheless, it was ridiculously entertaining and yes, while i want a lot of quality in my show, i still think R2 was a great season for the fans.
Old 2008-12-12, 14:57   Link #2890
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Well that is the thing, the only thing relevant that actually came out of that episode was Shirley's interaction with Lelouch. Of course to me, it was still a giant waste of time to do that chase when they had so much other things they needed to focus on. Shirley's moment salvaged what would have otherwise been a wasted episode. But it still does not justify it. Again, looking at the series from a whole, that time could have been used for Marianne, C.C, Charles, Schneizel, and a everything else that was important to the plot but was rushed. Shirley's scene took like the last minutes of the episode, the rest of the chase and whatever was entirely unnecessary.
Old 2008-12-12, 15:12   Link #2891
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
Well that is the thing, the only thing relevant that actually came out of that episode was Shirley's interaction with Lelouch. Of course to me, it was still a giant waste of time to do that chase when they had so much other things they needed to focus on. Shirley's moment salvaged what would have otherwise been a wasted episode. But it still does not justify it. Again, looking at the series from a whole, that time could have been used for Marianne, C.C, Charles, Schneizel, and a everything else that was important to the plot but was rushed. Shirley's scene took like the last minutes of the episode, the rest of the chase and whatever was entirely unnecessary.
Yeah again, according to you. And again, even in the episode 5, it is like plot-device epi.
Anyway, i won't go on about this anymore, we will never agree here. I do think the Ashford epis were needed, as i also think that other things that were not there {the ones i mentioned in my above post} were needed as well. I mean, if we want a balanced-anime, we can't be 'chop this, and leave the other one there". R2 was not completely balanced, that is true. {and i am being polite actually here XD} It's complicated.
Anyway, i say that some introductions of certain charas were not needed at all cause they got shit-zero relevance to the plot. Like at all. But still, fangirls crave for charas like Gino for example.
Old 2008-12-12, 15:16   Link #2892
LastOrder
Om nom nom nom
*Artist

Oh. Wow, I have posted here in a loong time. Overall, I miss the spoilers and spectaculations on Code geass. It was entertaining. >:

Code geass left a hole on my Sunday lineup. ;_; I have found nothing to replace it with yet.

And I still can't get over Episode 25 in R2;-;

Da dum da dum.
LastOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 15:23   Link #2893
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastOrder View Post
Oh. Wow, I have posted here in a loong time. Overall, I miss the spoilers and spectaculations on Code geass. It was entertaining. >:

Code geass left a hole on my Sunday lineup. ;_; I have found nothing to replace it with yet.

And I still can't get over Episode 25 in R2;-;
Try Gundam, it is kinda like a band-aid to the whole wound. XD
But yes, nothing replaces Geass, it was ridiculously entertaining compared to pretty much everything.
Old 2008-12-12, 15:30   Link #2894
Charred Knight

For me the problem with Ashford isn't that they just wasted time they where written like they where to completely different series. The cast is always written to be siginificantly stupider, its kind of like Okouchi has seen series that combined serious works and comedy, but doesn't understand that those characters where conceived to be serious and comedic at the same time.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 14:08   Link #2895
Maxmillian
Banned

Quote:
Try Gundam, it is kinda like a band-aid to the whole wound. XD
But yes, nothing replaces Geass, it was ridiculously entertaining compared to pretty much everything.
That's nice
I'll be returning to reality now where things actually make sense
Maxmillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 14:10   Link #2896
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmillian View Post
That's nice
I'll be returning to reality now where things actually make sense
Stay relevant to the thread please. And you obviously missed my point of the post. It was a metaphor, gee.
Old 2008-12-13, 14:15   Link #2897
Maxmillian
Banned

Quote:
Stay relevant to the thread please. And you obviously missed my point of the post. It was a metaphor, gee.
Hey man, whatever floats your boat if you can ignore all it's flaws and inconsistencies all for a few "exciting" moments, here's a cookie for your tolerance, I think everyone else won't even bother.
Maxmillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 14:20   Link #2898
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmillian View Post
Hey man, whatever floats your boat if you can ignore all it's flaws and inconsistencies all for a few "exciting" moments, here's a cookie for your tolerance, I think everyone else won't even bother.
Again, you fail at comprehending my posts. I say it had flaws and stuff, but it was entertaining. Entertaining does not equal perfect in terms of writing. And i am done here with you. Don't want to be banned again thanks to you.
Old 2008-12-13, 14:21   Link #2899
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

does that mean you liked
or disliked geass
Old 2008-12-13, 14:23   Link #2900
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

you didnt make it clear if you were talking about geass or 00