AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-10-08, 19:44   Link #1621
yvj
U Mad?
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn NY
I may be one of the few people that doesn't think the ambiguous ending was planned from the beginning.

IMO it seems to be a last sec toss-in
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic81253_4.gif
yvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 19:45   Link #1622
hero147
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
People constantly squabble as to what Lelouch's ultimate fate is.

Somewhere in Japan, Taniguchi sits back in his chair with an evil grin and steepled fingers, going, "Just as planned."
And there...Behind him! Is a crazy Lelouch fan-girl with a knife!
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 19:46   Link #1623
KrimzonStriker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I don't know, if I look at Taniguchi's previous works ambiguous endings are just generally his style, teasing people even after the series if over
__________________
"That is why we must embrace carnage. In order to not waste the blood that has already been shed, we have no choice but to shed even more."- Lelouch Vi Britannia
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/7050/zeroty5copieie4.jpg
KrimzonStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 19:47   Link #1624
El_Lazy_Mexican
Thank you for smoking
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In your house jumping the fence
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
And there...Behind him! Is a crazy Lelouch fan-girl with a knife!
Nice Boat


And the Lelouch's ultimate fate is lost forever
El_Lazy_Mexican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 19:50   Link #1625
youngde
Unashamed Kalulu fan
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvj View Post
I may be one of the few people that doesn't think the ambiguous ending was planned from the beginning.

IMO it seems to be a last sec toss-in
Oh, I don't think that the ambiguous ending was planned, but when SUNRISE realized that CG could be their best thing since Gundam, you can bet that they wanted the story to be open to continuation. So they delibrately left some plot lines hanging (Where did Geass come from and what is it exactly? Did Lelouch stay w/ C.C. to make her smile? Will Kallen ever get a strait answer from Lelouch as what he felt about her?).

I don't know why anyone would have expected answers from the magazine in the first place. Why would they make an ambiguous ending and then reveal the truth behind it a couple weeks later? The only reason they would do that is if they had just done a crappy job and the ending wasn't meant to be ambiguous at all.
__________________
youngde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 19:51   Link #1626
shinigami99
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Britannia
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Lazy_Mexican View Post
Nice Boat


And the Lelouch's ultimate fate is lost forever
In this case, a nice CART LOL still think that taniguichi has something up his sleeve. There are just too many fans that want to kno about lelouch's fate for him to just sit there and do nothing.
shinigami99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 19:56   Link #1627
Skellington2612
fighting swine flu
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: La Ciudad de los Palacios, Mexico City
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngde View Post
Oh, I don't think that the ambiguous ending was planned, but when SUNRISE realized that CG could be their best thing since Gundam, you can bet that they wanted the story to be open to continuation. So they delibrately left some plot lines hanging (Where did Geass come from and what is it exactly? Did Lelouch stay w/ C.C. to make her smile? Will Kallen ever get a strait answer from Lelouch as what he felt about her?).

I don't know why anyone would have expected answers from the magazine in the first place. Why would they make an ambiguous ending and then reveal the truth behind it a couple weeks later? The only reason they would do that is if they had just done a crappy job and the ending wasn't meant to be ambiguous at all.
Iīm really hoping that is the case... that they want to keep milking the cow... but it makes me worry too... how much can you milk it without spoiling it??
One of my thougths is that they were cowards (donīt hurt me) and decided to leave like that...
Skellington2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 19:58   Link #1628
youngde
Unashamed Kalulu fan
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellington2612 View Post
Iīm really hoping that is the case... that they want to keep milking the cow... but it makes me worry too... how much can you milk it without spoiling it??
One of my thougths is that they were cowards (donīt hurt me) and decided to leave like that...
Well, they're still making some decent Gundam series 20+ years later. (We'll just chose to ignore G Gundam and GSD, agreed?)
__________________
youngde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:05   Link #1629
Skellington2612
fighting swine flu
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: La Ciudad de los Palacios, Mexico City
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngde View Post
Well, they're still making some decent Gundam series 20+ years later. (We'll just chose to ignore G Gundam and GSD, agreed?)
To tell you the truth Code Geass is the first mecha anime I watch... but I know from othe animes that can happen one of them is the case of Dragon Ball GT... and have heard what happened with GSD...
But Iīm watching Gundam 00 and I like what they are doing with it... hope they come with something good is they decide to keep selling it...
Skellington2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:09   Link #1630
youngde
Unashamed Kalulu fan
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellington2612 View Post
To tell you the truth Code Geass is the first mecha anime I watch... but I know from othe animes that can happen one of them is the case of Dragon Ball GT... and have heard what happened with GSD...
But Iīm watching Gundam 00 and I like what they are doing with it... hope they come with something good is they decide to keep selling it...
Gundam 0080, 0081, Wing and SEED are my personal favorites myself.
__________________
youngde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:17   Link #1631
Kusaja
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
I'd be extremely surprised if Code Geass ever comes to resemble Gundam in terms of franchise longevity, that much I find doubtful...but I can see a spin-off or two showing up somehow, just not regular sequels or alternative universes every couple of years. Gundam is huge, Code Geass is...a circumstantial success, maybe?

In other words, there are other ways of commercially exploiting Code Geass, without having to go that route.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:20   Link #1632
lovecakecookies
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
what I want to know is will R2 be as successful as R1 in terms of sales and stuff? As far as fans opinions go, most like R1 better... right?

I enjoyed R2 more, but story/plot flow was better in R1 IMO
__________________
lovecakecookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:25   Link #1633
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecakecookies View Post
what I want to know is will R2 be as successful as R1 in terms of sales and stuff? As far as fans opinions go, most like R1 better... right?

I enjoyed R2 more, but story/plot flow was better in R1 IMO
IIRC, the merchandisings (dvds etc.) for R2 got (till now) better sales than the ones from R1. But maybe I am wrong
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:28   Link #1634
Skellington2612
fighting swine flu
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: La Ciudad de los Palacios, Mexico City
Age: 26
Well I liked R2 more because of character developing... but from chapter 13 I feel a rush on the plot...
About Code Geass being like Gundam... I doubt it...
There are many elements in Code Geass that make it a whole... part of that is the characters design (CLAMP i luv u) as well as the director and writer... I think if one of them is absent it will not be the same...
I think I will know completely itīs sucess once it has been released in other countries...
Skellington2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:29   Link #1635
lovecakecookies
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
IIRC, the merchandisings (dvds etc.) for R2 got (till now) better sales than the ones from R1. But maybe I am wrong
Narona, why are you sad?

doesn't this mean more chance of Lulu's revival? LOL *coughSpinOffcough*

oh ok. thanks for answering anyways
__________________
lovecakecookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:30   Link #1636
Kusaja
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
I don't know about merchandising in general, but the DVD sales seem to be doing very well, from the rankings I've seen. The first volume stayed on the top ten for quite a while.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...g-august-21-27

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...27-september-2

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...september-3-9a

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...eptember-10-16

As for the rest...I'd agree the first season was better, but the second also had its positives. The main problem was the rushed pacing, without that...we'd have less issues to complain about, at least. We could have used either more episodes or less plot lines, to be frank.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:30   Link #1637
youngde
Unashamed Kalulu fan
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellington2612 View Post
Well I liked R2 more because of character developing... but from chapter 13 I feel a rush on the plot...
About Code Geass being like Gundam... I doubt it...
There are many elements in Code Geass that make it a whole... part of that is the characters design (CLAMP i luv u) as well as the director and writer... I think if one of them is absent it will not be the same...
I think I will know completely itīs sucess once it has been released in other countries...
Well, many of the Gundam series are 'not the same' as the original Gundam. They were still good series.
__________________
youngde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:35   Link #1638
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecakecookies View Post
Narona, why are you sad?

doesn't this mean more chance of Lulu's revival? LOL *coughSpinOffcough*

oh ok. thanks for answering anyways
Because I am not sure :O but "IIRC" someone said that the R2 dvds had better sales.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:36   Link #1639
dec4rhapsody
*frustrated*
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glorious Fire Wall-Hmm, I hate my government more than you do.
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to dec4rhapsody
They *probably* could make an OVA out of Lelouch's never fulfilled Ashford dream...
dec4rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:37   Link #1640
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
*AnimeSuki Site Staff
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 24
Gundam is driven a lot not only by the characters, but the mechs themselves, almost giving the series the undeniable power to recreate itself just off the fact that as long as you have gundams in the show you can throw in new characters, settings, and such without any problem. The thing with Code Geass though is, as a series its not riding on the mechs and is really driven more by plot and character. Yes the mechs have great presences in the show, but not in the same way as Gundam. Heck the name has nothing to do with the mechs either. Now spin off series would work, but it would still have to be related to the plot given in Code Geass. THe only way I could see another actual series coming out of Code Geass would be from one of the alternate manga storylines. ANyways I hope I got what I was trying to say across fine.
__________________
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.