AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-10-08, 20:40   Link #1641
lovecakecookies
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Oh.. its ok Narona... and thanks Kusaja for the info

hmmm TBH Code Geass R2 is far from a Mech anime... we only saw mech action like in 4 episodes this season? ..
__________________
lovecakecookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:43   Link #1642
Skellington2612
fighting swine flu
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mexico City
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngde View Post
Well, many of the Gundam series are 'not the same' as the original Gundam. They were still good series.
Yep, but Iīm talking about the whole concept of Code Geass...
I donīt know how to explain it...
In Gundam they have many themes to talk about, thatīs why they can make many series with it like the idea of Gundam have many thinks to exploit...
But de idea of Code is a bit more specific and harder to exploit without failing... but I guess the fact that the ones with a code are inmortal gives space for more... who knows...
Hope I explained myself..
Skellington2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:44   Link #1643
Skellington2612
fighting swine flu
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mexico City
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Gundam is driven a lot not only by the characters, but the mechs themselves, almost giving the series the undeniable power to recreate itself just off the fact that as long as you have gundams in the show you can throw in new characters, settings, and such without any problem. The thing with Code Geass though is, as a series its not riding on the mechs and is really driven more by plot and character. Yes the mechs have great presences in the show, but not in the same way as Gundam. Heck the name has nothing to do with the mechs either. Now spin off series would work, but it would still have to be related to the plot given in Code Geass. THe only way I could see another actual series coming out of Code Geass would be from one of the alternate manga storylines. ANyways I hope I got what I was trying to say across fine.
Thanks a lot to you... this is exactly what I meant... sort of...
Skellington2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:47   Link #1644
kir44n
#1 Delinquent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wash. D.C.
Age: 31
I can see Geass going the way of Evangelion in terms of possible long-term franchisement. Lots of supplementals to the main storyline, 20,000,000 different AU manga, tons of fanservicy games/merchandise and things of that nature. And of course, an ending ova/movie to cap the series ^^.
__________________
We are here to educate the masses! Lelouch Lives! Join us at http://forums.animesuki.com/group.php?groupid=144 Don't be afraid, as the 2nd largest user group on AS, others believe too!
kir44n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:48   Link #1645
youngde
Unashamed Kalulu fan
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Age: 37
I do believe that CG has the potential to be the next Gundam, if everything comes together just right. Like Kusaja said above, CG's success could be partially situational, but then, most things that eventually become huge successes were only able to get that far due to early success that is almost always situational in some way, shape or form. It's just whether it has the potential to keep that success going over multiple incarnations. CG has several things that can be incorporated into other interesting stories: Most notably are the KMFs, but there is also Geass itself, which could be explored much more. Also, since Code Bearers are immortal, you could conceivibly always have a few characters bridge series by being the Code Bearers for the next. If several shows were set in the same universe, it would give a sense of continuity.

But, this is all mere speculation about potential. It doesn't mean that CG will fulfill it's potential.
__________________
youngde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:52   Link #1646
youngde
Unashamed Kalulu fan
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellington2612 View Post
Yep, but Iīm talking about the whole concept of Code Geass...
I donīt know how to explain it...
In Gundam they have many themes to talk about, thatīs why they can make many series with it like the idea of Gundam have many thinks to exploit...
But de idea of Code is a bit more specific and harder to exploit without failing... but I guess the fact that the ones with a code are inmortal gives space for more... who knows...
Hope I explained myself..
I'm not sure if they have that many themes to talk about. Almost all Gundams revolve around 2 waring factions (one almost always on earth and the other almost always in colonies surrounding it), one of which usually originally makes the Gundams, which are invariably piloted by unstable mid-teenagers w/ serious issues. During the conflict, it is usually discovered that the top brass of both sides are DBs and the Gundam fighters form their own little group to fight a greater evil. I'm pretty sure that covers the main plot of 80-90% of Gundam series.
__________________
youngde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:52   Link #1647
npal
I desire Tomorrow!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: As far away from reality as possible
Age: 34
Oh man, if I see a Gundam-clone Geass spin-off, I'll cry... Really cry... I'd rather kill Lulu myself and make sure he stays dead that see that
__________________
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 20:57   Link #1648
Skellington2612
fighting swine flu
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mexico City
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngde View Post
I'm not sure if they have that many themes to talk about. Almost all Gundams revolve around 2 waring factions (one almost always on earth and the other almost always in colonies surrounding it), one of which usually originally makes the Gundams, which are invariably piloted by unstable mid-teenagers w/ serious issues. During the conflict, it is usually discovered that the top brass of both sides are DBs and the Gundam fighters form their own little group to fight a greater evil. I'm pretty sure that covers the main plot of 80-90% of Gundam series.
mmm, so I can see a gundam series and already know the main plot of the others??
I think the constant about Gundam apart from the Gundam Mecha... is war...
Skellington2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 21:05   Link #1649
Kusaja
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngde View Post
I do believe that CG has the potential to be the next Gundam, if everything comes together just right. Like Kusaja said above, CG's success could be partially situational, but then, most things that eventually become huge successes were only able to get that far due to early success that is almost always situational in some way, shape or form. It's just whether it has the potential to keep that success going over multiple incarnations. CG has several things that can be incorporated into other interesting stories: Most notably are the KMFs, but there is also Geass itself, which could be explored much more. Also, since Code Bearers are immortal, you could conceivibly always have a few characters bridge series by being the Code Bearers for the next. If several shows were set in the same universe, it would give a sense of continuity.

But, this is all mere speculation about potential. It doesn't mean that CG will fulfill it's potential.
In terms of contents, I agree that the potential is there. A lot more could be done with the entire concept of the Geass and with the KMFs, as you've pointed out. Many more stories could be told, and I'd be happy to see that.

Code Geass is selling well. But the original Gundam, from what I understand, was successful on a completely different level, commercially as well as culturally. Not at first, but shortly afterwards, through toy sales, re-runs and eventually the movie compilations.

Even after Gundam, I'm sure Sunrise and Bandai have had other commercial successes, but how many of them are true franchises that stand the test of time, and for how long?

There is also a big difference in that Gundam was revolutionary, one of the first of its kind in many ways, while Code Geass is evolutionary, re-using or re-interpreting already established concepts.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 21:39   Link #1650
darthfury78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kir44n View Post
I can see Geass going the way of Evangelion in terms of possible long-term franchisement. Lots of supplementals to the main storyline, 20,000,000 different AU manga, tons of fanservicy games/merchandise and things of that nature. And of course, an ending ova/movie to cap the series ^^.
Code Geass has the potential of becoming a strong francise as Gundam. However, the series would not be the same without Lelouch. It might be possible to do an CG:Ashford Academy spinoff that would feature Lelouch and his friends. Those serious Ashford moments are quite interesting and could provide greater depth into the minor character's background.

Everything Code Geass related are doing very well and it could spark another series. However, Lelouch's character is the reason why Code Geass did very well because everyone could relate to him. I can't see Code Geass going the way of Yu-gi-oh G/X, where they replaced Yugi with another character. At least, Pokemon kept the same characters(Ash and Pikachu) since the beginning. I expect the same with Lelouch, if they decide to bring back Code Geass. The original title was to have been, Lelouch of the Rebellion instead of Code Geass.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 22:18   Link #1651
Charred Knight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngde View Post
I'm not sure if they have that many themes to talk about. Almost all Gundams revolve around 2 waring factions (one almost always on earth and the other almost always in colonies surrounding it), one of which usually originally makes the Gundams, which are invariably piloted by unstable mid-teenagers w/ serious issues. During the conflict, it is usually discovered that the top brass of both sides are DBs and the Gundam fighters form their own little group to fight a greater evil. I'm pretty sure that covers the main plot of 80-90% of Gundam series.
That description only comes from Gundam Seed or Zeta if you combine the Original Gundam, and Zeta.

Gundam X, Zeta Gundam, Gundam ZZ, Gundam Wing, all present them as starting as a small group that is good.

MSG, its spinoffs, and CCA, all have you fighting on the same side all the way through.

G Gundam is about the colonies holding a fighting contest for the right to rule the Solar System. While it turns out that the person bossing around you is an evil ass no one switches sides.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 00:03   Link #1652
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
A translation from a caption of the last newtype (thanks Dann of Thursday for the link)

http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2...ven-otherwise/

Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 00:08   Link #1653
Skellington2612
fighting swine flu
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mexico City
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
A translation from a caption of the last newtype (thanks Dann of Thursday for the link)

http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2...ven-otherwise/

Ouch, I donīt know what to think of this...
damn I just joined the Lelouch is alive group!!
So I guess any hoping thought of an OVA or a movie goes away...
Better go to sleep and see what tomorrow brings...
Skellington2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 00:11   Link #1654
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellington2612 View Post
Ouch, I donīt know what to think of this...
damn I just joined the Lelouch is alive group!!
So I guess any hoping thought of an OVA or a movie goes away...
Better go to sleep and see what tomorrow brings...
You should wait for okouchi/taniguchi's interviews

But I think it had to be posted, even if this caption didn't please me XD.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 00:14   Link #1655
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
I don't understand "You can rest slowly within me."

It feels like something got lost in translation.
cors8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 00:17   Link #1656
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
I don't understand "You can rest slowly within me."

It feels like something got lost in translation.
Maybe. We can wait for another translation since we got the pic ^^
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 00:19   Link #1657
Asleep
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellington2612 View Post
Ouch, I donīt know what to think of this...
damn I just joined the Lelouch is alive group!!
So I guess any hoping thought of an OVA or a movie goes away...
Better go to sleep and see what tomorrow brings...
We still don't know if it's just the magazine's opinion or something official...
It would be better to wait like Narona says.
Asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 00:21   Link #1658
KrimzonStriker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I like it, leaves me as ambiguously mystified as I was before without contradicting the scenarios I've currently put up in regards to his possible survival.
__________________
"That is why we must embrace carnage. In order to not waste the blood that has already been shed, we have no choice but to shed even more."- Lelouch Vi Britannia
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/7050/zeroty5copieie4.jpg
KrimzonStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 00:23   Link #1659
Lie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
I like it, leaves me as ambiguously mystified as I was before without contradicting the scenarios I've currently put up in regards to his possible survival.
That's not ambiguous, that implies he's dead. In that context it is a final good night.
Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 00:24   Link #1660
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asleep View Post
We still don't know if it's just the magazine's opinion or something official...
It would be better to wait like Narona says.
Yep. But keep in mind that maybe they will confirm his death

edit: thanks for the pm, mister XD

Last edited by Narona; 2008-10-09 at 00:44.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.