AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-11-02, 19:41   Link #2661
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethice View Post
My latest playthrough I thought I was going pretty well, with a solid plan. I powered my strength up to 32 to use the black knight greatsword in one hand as I saw recommended on so many sites, but ended up finding the swing speed far too slow to make up for the slight damage increase from the Drake Sword - and you can't even enchant it past +5!

Complete waste of 32 strength, so even though I got all the way up to the Painted World, I started all over again, this time with a plan to get a +5 lightning halberd and keep my str and dex at 16 and 12 respectively, since going any higher than that is a waste of stats.
Complete waste? Excusez moi? 32 strength gives you enough STR to use the greataxe effectively. Which upgraded completely. Either flame, lightning, or Divine, it is an incredible game breaker. Not only did you go up to 32 strength you gave yourself enough of it to immediately use one of the games potentially one-hit killers one-handed.

You aren't being perfectionist, you're being wasteful. Every stat has an usage and it should reflect how you want to play. Buy a club and increase your strength to 40, and then upgrade it to 10 normal reinforcement. And now tell me the attack you have. Complete waste? No, its stat scaling on the weaponry. the lower the requirements the more 'bonus' you get.

Look at it this way: A dexterity build is lethal because many of the weapons for a dexterity build causes both bleeding and has a tendency for higher criticals. But for a strength build, you get knockback and knockdown; as well as a general 'stopping' force that would otherwise not faze most enemies.

Every stat has its usage. Like how I raised my vitality to 40. I became an absolute bitch to kill, because my goal was to die less while learning from the things that would normally kill me.

Think strategically. The game was designed for everyone in mind, you just have to think how you can benefit from it. Are you bent on wielding every weapon available? Warrior class has a suitable solution to that since it starts with good strength and dexterity. Want to get a headstart on that stonewall build? The knight is your answer.


Retrospectively you shouldn't give up because of aggravating. Arguably the entire point of the game was to feel frustrated and then realize you've achieved quite abit already, doing things over because of a slight miscalculation you could potentially benefit from in the end is abit.... idiotic, in my opinion.

Also, most if not all of the ores you find in the game can be farmed. The twinkling titanite? You can get quite the drops from the crystal Cavern behind the Duke Archives from the clam enemies. You can also gain all sorts of titanite from the Black Knights in the Kiln of the First Flame end game. Variably, you weren't wasting unless you were pumping ore into an item you never considered using just for the sake of having an upgraded weapon.

You're going about it wrong. That's all. As for me I'd love to help you. Struggling is normal for From Software games. People did it on For Answer, to Demon's Souls, to now. All you need to do is not give up. Dying is arguably the entire premise.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 19:51   Link #2662
Rethice
Kingslayer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
Complete waste? Excusez moi? 32 strength gives you enough STR to use the greataxe effectively. Which upgraded completely. Either flame, lightning, or Divine, it is an incredible game breaker. Not only did you go up to 32 strength you gave yourself enough of it to immediately use one of the games potentially one-hit killers one-handed.

You aren't being perfectionist, you're being wasteful. Every stat has an usage and it should reflect how you want to play. Buy a club and increase your strength to 40, and then upgrade it to 10 normal reinforcement. And now tell me the attack you have. Complete waste? No, its stat scaling on the weaponry. the lower the requirements the more 'bonus' you get.

Look at it this way: A dexterity build is lethal because many of the weapons for a dexterity build causes both bleeding and has a tendency for higher criticals. But for a strength build, you get knockback and knockdown; as well as a general 'stopping' force that would otherwise not faze most enemies.

Every stat has its usage. Like how I raised my vitality to 40. I became an absolute bitch to kill, because my goal was to die less while learning from the things that would normally kill me.

Think strategically. The game was designed for everyone in mind, you just have to think how you can benefit from it. Are you bent on wielding every weapon available? Warrior class has a suitable solution to that since it starts with good strength and dexterity. Want to get a headstart on that stonewall build? The knight is your answer.


Retrospectively you shouldn't give up because of aggravating. Arguably the entire point of the game was to feel frustrated and then realize you've achieved quite abit already, doing things over because of a slight miscalculation you could potentially benefit from in the end is abit.... idiotic, in my opinion.

Also, most if not all of the ores you find in the game can be farmed. The twinkling titanite? You can get quite the drops from the crystal Cavern behind the Duke Archives from the clam enemies. You can also gain all sorts of titanite from the Black Knights in the Kiln of the First Flame end game. Variably, you weren't wasting unless you were pumping ore into an item you never considered using just for the sake of having an upgraded weapon.

You're going about it wrong. That's all. As for me I'd love to help you. Struggling is normal for From Software games. People did it on For Answer, to Demon's Souls, to now. All you need to do is not give up. Dying is arguably the entire premise.
Cheers for the advice man, I might actually look into the possibilities with the greataxe and go back to that strength character if it's as good as you say.

The thing holding me back from using great weapons is how open the swing animation leaves you, and since my play style involves 90% blocking and 10% rolling, that hurts a lot.

I'll be honest though, I haven't tried any axes at all, I just kind of presumed they'd be even slower than the ultra swords, but I shall give it a shot!

Thanks again.
__________________
Rethice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 21:54   Link #2663
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethice View Post
Cheers for the advice man, I might actually look into the possibilities with the greataxe and go back to that strength character if it's as good as you say.

The thing holding me back from using great weapons is how open the swing animation leaves you, and since my play style involves 90% blocking and 10% rolling, that hurts a lot.

I'll be honest though, I haven't tried any axes at all, I just kind of presumed they'd be even slower than the ultra swords, but I shall give it a shot!

Thanks again.
The greataxe is slightly quicker then the zweihander. But because axes will always have higher statistics and bonuses (even from magical enchantment) they're penalized by their weight and lack of 'speed'. Only great hammers are sluggish, and only really require an obscene amount of strength to wield.

Also if you're more about attrition, a good deal of strength isn't bad. Because you can then use the best greatshield in the game, The greatshield of Artorias. And even if you didn't use a greatshield you still get higher bonuses because all shields get a defense bonus from strength. The smaller you get though, the more the bonuses are derived from dexterity though.

None of the ultra swords are slow, just lagging. I actually don't recommend using them since they have less knockdown potential and require a huge amount of stamina to consistently slash.

Also if you're looking into a shielder playstyle, try picking up spears and rapiers. You can block with a shield up, and you can have your main shield as the grass crest shield which recovers stamina as quickly as the green blossoms you find in Darkroot Garden so if you are worried about not benefitting you only have to be 'technical' in the way you approach things. Speaking of spears you can find the Winged Spear the moment you get to firelink the first time in the graveyard. Stripping and running for it doesn't even warrant a suicide run since the skeleton's revive animation is slow enough.

As for rapiers, you can find the estoc also immediately on your first visit to firelink. Going down to New Londo and picking it up is easy, and you can pick up the nameless soldier's soul near the first flight of stairs for early leveling too.

One more weapon to speak about. If you're interested in a sword with a high attack power, you should enter the Gravelord convenant and get The gravelord Sword. It deals slash and has a potent poison effect. Since you might prefer swords its a good choice, since with the stat requirements it'll do 250+ with the additional 300 poison buildup.


And yes I do talk alot, sorry about that. I've read alot of comments sort of like this so I try to help people as much as possible.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 23:21   Link #2664
Rethice
Kingslayer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
The greataxe is slightly quicker then the zweihander. But because axes will always have higher statistics and bonuses (even from magical enchantment) they're penalized by their weight and lack of 'speed'. Only great hammers are sluggish, and only really require an obscene amount of strength to wield.

Also if you're more about attrition, a good deal of strength isn't bad. Because you can then use the best greatshield in the game, The greatshield of Artorias. And even if you didn't use a greatshield you still get higher bonuses because all shields get a defense bonus from strength. The smaller you get though, the more the bonuses are derived from dexterity though.

None of the ultra swords are slow, just lagging. I actually don't recommend using them since they have less knockdown potential and require a huge amount of stamina to consistently slash.

Also if you're looking into a shielder playstyle, try picking up spears and rapiers. You can block with a shield up, and you can have your main shield as the grass crest shield which recovers stamina as quickly as the green blossoms you find in Darkroot Garden so if you are worried about not benefitting you only have to be 'technical' in the way you approach things. Speaking of spears you can find the Winged Spear the moment you get to firelink the first time in the graveyard. Stripping and running for it doesn't even warrant a suicide run since the skeleton's revive animation is slow enough.

As for rapiers, you can find the estoc also immediately on your first visit to firelink. Going down to New Londo and picking it up is easy, and you can pick up the nameless soldier's soul near the first flight of stairs for early leveling too.

One more weapon to speak about. If you're interested in a sword with a high attack power, you should enter the Gravelord convenant and get The gravelord Sword. It deals slash and has a potent poison effect. Since you might prefer swords its a good choice, since with the stat requirements it'll do 250+ with the additional 300 poison buildup.


And yes I do talk alot, sorry about that. I've read alot of comments sort of like this so I try to help people as much as possible.
Yep, my newest playthrough I was going to go for the spear or halberd (thrust and reach wins), that's why I felt the 32 str was wasted. That will be the plan if Greataxe doesn't work out for me.

Once I get home tonight I shall try it out and let you know how it goes!
__________________
Rethice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 00:37   Link #2665
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Currently playing, ff reishiki(having a blast), tales of xilia(only on weekends XD), and harvest moon tales of two towns(very slow).
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 00:55   Link #2666
Feiticeira
You're kidding
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Age: 28
I just finished Dragon Age Origins (epic) and picked up Assassins Creed Brotherhood, fun so far gotta love watching someone climb impossible walls and kill with impossible odds.
Feiticeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 11:35   Link #2667
Puddingman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Age: 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Puddingman
I just started this cool indi game made by these people, freebirdgames.com . The game is called "Quintessence". It's really nice, really beautiful, fun battle system. The initial first nag I had about it was that 2 of the characters looked exactly like Lawrence and Holo from Spice and Wolf, but that fades fast. It can be a little choppy/laggy on my computer if the fields are large but its still playable, and most places aren't that laggy. I def recommend this.
__________________
Puddingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 06:37   Link #2668
Nihokon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fate/Extra (PSP)
Been playing like crazy ever since I got my copy yesterday.
I'm using Saber as my servant for the first playthrough. I want to at least learn the game's mechanics before playing with Caster, because according to pretty much everyone, Caster is the "hard" mode of the game.
So I guess I'll endure the temptation of ne---kitsune girl for the time being and make do with the spoiled tyrant empress.
__________________
Only the dead can know peace from this evil
Evil~ Begone~!
Nihokon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 09:30   Link #2669
Who
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY, USA
Age: 24
Laddering on Starcraft 2 so I can get to Masters. That and achievement/portrait whoring. Oh and the adrenaline rush every game is insane.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 12:08   Link #2670
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Played some Black Ops. FINALLY got Ninja Pro.
__________________
blakstealth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 15:37   Link #2671
panpanpanpanmelonpan
Mikki
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ireland
Age: 16
Send a message via Skype™ to panpanpanpanmelonpan
I'm restarting Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep in proud mode and also restarting Final Fantasy Crisis Core, although I could never handle that in any sort of hard mode. XD
panpanpanpanmelonpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 15:53   Link #2672
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narukahana View Post
Fate/Extra (PSP)
Been playing like crazy ever since I got my copy yesterday.
I'm using Saber as my servant for the first playthrough. I want to at least learn the game's mechanics before playing with Caster, because according to pretty much everyone, Caster is the "hard" mode of the game.
So I guess I'll endure the temptation of ne---kitsune girl for the time being and make do with the spoiled tyrant empress.
How is it?

I'm thinking about getting it...
__________________
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 17:28   Link #2673
Who
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY, USA
Age: 24
Got Skyrim today, and somehow, got accepted into Star Wars: The Old Republic beta test. This is gonna be a fun weekend.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 17:37   Link #2674
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Snake Way
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Got Skyrim today, and somehow, got accepted into Star Wars: The Old Republic beta test. This is gonna be a fun weekend.
*high fives* Right!? I don't know how I'm gonna split up the time evenly
__________________
Kyero Fox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 19:02   Link #2675
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Been playing Halo: Reach again lately.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 08:14   Link #2676
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Wish I can play Reach. ;_;

Played some Black Ops and ffuuuuuuuuu- this game. Back to BC2 before my face falls off.
__________________
blakstealth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 03:17   Link #2677
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Xanadu
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III - Has an ok rank from me. Not really all that great.
Stronghold 3 - Not worth it... Multiplayer has many bugs with it.
Dungeons: The Dark Lord - Someone help... The multiplayer is killing me.. Meh, I'll just go back to Dungeons. I might as well go back to Dungeon Keepers 2
__________________
Illya & Miyu from Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ☆ ILLYAMyAnimeList (Hoovesahoy)
Avatar from: RRW
Signature from: TheEroKing

Last edited by Hooves; 2011-11-13 at 04:07.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 04:28   Link #2678
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indonesia
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narukahana View Post
Fate/Extra (PSP)
Been playing like crazy ever since I got my copy yesterday.
I'm using Saber as my servant for the first playthrough. I want to at least learn the game's mechanics before playing with Caster, because according to pretty much everyone, Caster is the "hard" mode of the game.
So I guess I'll endure the temptation of ne---kitsune girl for the time being and make do with the spoiled tyrant empress.
Been playing this too also picked Saber for first time since I like to crawl through the easiest to the hardest difficulty in playing games. (She has cute personality, voice, and face too )

Currently just entered the 3rd week. So far, the game's quite simple but very entertaining to me I really like the information-gathering aspect. The battle is actually simple too, but if you mess up, it could be fatal at times

Is there any complete walkthrough released for this game? I wanted to make sure I don't miss anything
__________________
Kotori Minami & Hanayo Koizumi [Love Live! School Idol Project]
<Click to go into my artwork thread>
Ryonea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 06:02   Link #2679
NagatoYuki
Secluded Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Philippines
Been playing Project Diva Extended

trying to unlock the additional modules and getting pass extreme mode..
__________________
NagatoYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 06:26   Link #2680
Crimrui
Hollow
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River of solitude
Send a message via Skype™ to Crimrui
Fate/Extra (PSP) Pretty entertaining game. Saber is awesome but Caster's moe affection wins hands down.
Ar Tonelico Qoga (PS3) Singing and stripping to victory...

Still waiting for my Saints Row The Third copy.
__________________
Crimrui is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.