AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2006-08-24, 18:07   Link #1
Fridayunited

Uni/College/School Firewalls

I just went to college huzzahs and such, but upon hooking up my computer and installing their Cisco Clean Access program which is required to connect to the net >> pain in the ass too... Yea I can't use Bittorrent anymore.

It must be blocked by the server, and its really getting annoying. I know it must go against a rule or something, but is there any way to get around this? I really need my anime ;_;.

Just note i have a good understanding of Portforwarding and the such, and well, i can't figure that out. I'm looking for a simple solution that doesn't involve registry tampering or anything really super technical.

So yea, college campus, cisco clean access, want bittorrent working again. I've tried different clients, same results...

Thanks in advance
Fridayunited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-24, 19:00   Link #2
KNETTER2000
Rei! What have you done!

I am not familliar with cisco stuff and that clean acces thing, but have you tried altering the standard ports in the clients ?

They might've blacklisted the 6881 to 6999 ports.
You could try and set the ports to something way higher like in the region between 49152 and 65534.. might do the trick..
KNETTER2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-24, 19:10   Link #3
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

Honestly, I think you're out of luck. If your college has network access control deployed chances are they're tightly controlling what traffic goes in and out of the network. You'll probably find BitTorrent simply won't work.

Try different ports as KNETTER2000 suggested, but I have a feeling you'll never be able to accept in-bound connections, something needed for maximum BitTorrent performance. That's why many people port forward: to allow in-bound connections. You don't control the network so "port-forwarding" isn't an option for you.

The chance that you'll be able to make the required outbound connections is also pretty slim. Without a proxy of sorts that is. Something like a VPN or SSH tunnel, to an external computer where BitTorrent isn't restricted, might work (if they allow such tunnels to be made, and they might not)... but by that time the bandwidth used by BitTorrent can become a problem and your performance will suck if it works at all.

Edit: For kicks, try connecting to a tracker's scrape page using your web browser. See if you get a reply. If you do and you change the default ports you might be in luck. I'm thinking you'll get zero access via the default tracker ports though. Scarywater might work for you, as it uses the HTTPS port I think... but even then your college is probably forcing you to use a web proxy for normal web access, so even that might fail...

Last edited by NightWish; 2006-08-24 at 19:24.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-24, 20:02   Link #4
Kamui4356
Aria Company

This probably won't work, but you could try a client that uses encrypton like µtorrent or azureus. Combined with changing ports, it might work, depending on how much effort your college put into blocking bt. However, most likely your days of using bt to download anime are at an end, at least until your semester break. My real advice, learn to download with irc.

Last edited by Kamui4356; 2006-08-24 at 20:12.
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 16:33   Link #5
Fridayunited

Okay so yea changing ports/clients doesn't work. I use utorrent, and i've tried bitcomet and azuereus, and they didn't work either.

The forementioned KNETTER2000, what kind of program is that?

And how hard is it to learn to download from IRC? and are there alot of anime series on there? And of course, where could i learn such mad skills?

Thanks for the suggestions
Fridayunited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 17:27   Link #6
Rin-Sama
Banned

I'd like to know how to Dl from Mirc also
Rin-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 18:11   Link #7
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

AF-F has some nice guides here. Just click on "The Leeching Pictorial" or "mIRC Leeching." It's not that hard. I don't know anything about IRC, but I can go into a channel and download anime if that is the only way to get it.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 16:21   Link #8
Sazelyt
F i n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridayunited
And how hard is it to learn to download from IRC? and are there alot of anime series on there? And of course, where could i learn such mad skills?
Using IRC is very easy (as a reminder: each channel has its own rules - changing from highly strict to highly flexible, don't forget to check those out before typing any generally used commands, if you do not wish to get banned acidentally). Also you can find most of the shows easily (although the majority is the newer shows). For most cases, you just need to go to the channel of the group that subs the series.

For the torrent case, if I were you, I would first check the local usenet resources if your school has any. You might be able to find highly useful information there.

But, if there is a certain risk involved, even if you succeed in using torrent, I would suggest you not to do so. If your school really prevents your access to torrent programs, then it seems they take the matter of downloading through such sources very seriously. If your school tracks your activities, there is a high chance they will be able to detect that. At the end, that might cause serious administrative problems for you, starting from the loss of internet access for long-term.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 21:11   Link #9
Witacume
Kalulu YES WE CAN

same problem with cisco clean access as well here anyone have any thoughts
Witacume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 19:23   Link #10
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
My thoughts: find an open wireless network somewhere and do your downloading there, or make friends with people who live off-campus.
Old 2006-09-05, 14:38   Link #11
vietpimp

Just go on irc and download it. Find out the channel and server that is fansubbing your series and go there. Look at the topic see if what you can type and what you can't type. Some channels would not allow you to type anything but like 3 commands or else you'll get banned. Others you can type in xdcc list others you can't. Very easy to use and also alot of people in there will help you through your first download if you ask them.

Some school like mine will only monitor uploads so bittorrent would still work but they would shut down your network if you upload too much. Not sure how your school does it. Some school have direct connect hubs as well try using that program. DC++. Use this with discretion btw since they might just turn your network off and you'd be like WTF. heh. have fun hope this help.
vietpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 11:17   Link #12
strategos

The bittorrent has been kidnap!

Well am in a University where they just recently block the peer to peer. If there a way to find a open port for me to activate torrents file so I can download it? Or to by pass the blocking or firewall that prevents me from opening a torrent?
THank you .

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 11:27   Link #13
movax
Hosar Sub-God

Send a message via ICQ to movax Send a message via AIM to movax Send a message via MSN to movax Send a message via Yahoo to movax
SSH Tunnel the traffic out...easiest solution. You'll need to have a un-firewalled shell somewhere though, of course.
movax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 16:28   Link #14
strategos

What kind of programs can I use to find open port?
And where can I find it?
When I start openning a link to open a torrent, the link get freeze.
And when I try to activate a torrent it wont work.
What can i do :S?
Thank You

Old 2006-09-11, 19:15   Link #15
strategos

I found out that it only block .avi .mp4 and .mp3 downloads
But other types it wont block.
What can I do to mask the files I want to download?

Old 2006-09-12, 00:01   Link #16
ImperialPanda

Tunneling Bittorrent over SSH

Quote:
And when I try to activate a torrent it wont work.
Try changing the port BT is using to something that's not default.

Quote:
I found out that it only block .avi .mp4 and .mp3 downloads
But other types it wont block.
What can I do to mask the files I want to download?
...? Not exactly clear on your problem. Try using a BT client that encrypts traffic, which is basically every client except BitTornado.
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 14:33   Link #17
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Try downloading with eMule, the newest version (0.47b) has a traffic obsfication feature, it seems like it's working very well for the people who's isp blocks eMule. So it might work for your situation.
Old 2006-09-15, 15:53   Link #18
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

I use emule all the time. I didn't know it had that kind of obscuration abilities. It is a little slow, but it is very good at getting things when the torrent is dead.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 18:38   Link #19
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Are you using 0.47b? That feature has just been added to 0.47b.