AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-07-12, 04:29   Link #1
-R6-

Exclamation Want to hook my pc to my T.V [Total Newb]

Hey guys..

I think this topic might be discussed somewhere else if so please tell me..

Okay well am a total newb in this sector i don't know how to hook my pc to my t.v..
so here are some couple of Questions on my mind

1. What kind of plugs do i need?

2. How do i do it? (need it in step-by-step) <-----Total Newb

3. If i hooked my pc to my t.v will the quality be the same or bad?

if there are any links that may help me please post them

Am sorry for my total newbiness

Thanx
Old 2006-07-12, 09:30   Link #2
SlugZilla
woofles

1. It depends what kind of connections you intend to use. Most importantly does your video card have a TV-out? Generally an S-video cable will be the connection used by most people. It is helpful to know what kind of inputs your TV has, please list if you have component, s-video inputs on your tv.

2. Once you plug in the cables in the TV-out of your computer then plug the other end into the TV set, your computer will recognize a new display, so this essentially is similar to hooking up another monitor.

3. This part will all depend on your TV, if it's an old TV it will look bad and you will have to resort to low resolution like 640x480. Not useful for anything besides watching videos. If you have a HDTV it might look sharper at higher resolutions.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 20:36   Link #3
-R6-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugZilla
1. It depends what kind of connections you intend to use. Most importantly does your video card have a TV-out? Generally an S-video cable will be the connection used by most people. It is helpful to know what kind of inputs your TV has, please list if you have component, s-video inputs on your tv..
Well i have Nvidia MX400 i think it might be a bit old though..but i dont think it has a tv-out although i have another pc that does (GeForce 6600).

but i might as well go and buy a new one for my current machine .. whats the best for viewing movies?(am kinda movie buff myself)
Recommend something to me

Quote:
2. Once you plug in the cables in the TV-out of your computer then plug the other end into the TV set, your computer will recognize a new display, so this essentially is similar to hooking up another monitor.
Sounds easy thanx!

Quote:
3. This part will all depend on your TV, if it's an old TV it will look bad and you will have to resort to low resolution like 640x480. Not useful for anything besides watching videos. If you have a HDTV it might look sharper at higher resolutions.
I've got a Sony WEGA t.v will that do?

Note:I will be using it only for movies.. i need to make it the best possible resolution

Last edited by -R6-; 2006-07-12 at 21:03.
-R6- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 22:48   Link #4
iceyfw

which nvida mx400 you have?? pci or agp?? if its the low-end pci gpu, it should have a s-video out from what i searched.

and if you're planning to buy a new gpu and watch movies only, you can look at the comparisons between the cards here -> http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html

remember to buy one thats fit for your slot if you decide to

Last edited by iceyfw; 2006-07-12 at 23:05.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 23:43   Link #5
-R6-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcExAlcHeMy
which nvida mx400 you have?? pci or agp?? if its the low-end pci gpu, it should have a s-video out from what i searched.

and if you're planning to buy a new gpu and watch movies only, you can look at the comparisons between the cards here -> http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html

remember to buy one thats fit for your slot if you decide to
THANX ALOT!! well i think its pci because its on one of my pci slots but from what i see i dont think there is a tv-out for it...

and i've got some couple questions about the comparisons is GeForce 7600GT as good as 7900GTX? because they seem so... and am kinda newbish in the video card area so.. Help

and am kinda thinking of changing my processor and motherboard too because i dont think the GeForce series will be compatible..i've got intel 865PERL and a processor of 2.40GHz .. so it's like changing my whole PC
Old 2006-07-13, 00:14   Link #6
iceyfw

s-video out should look like this in the back of the card

if not, use cpuz -> http://www.psychohost.clashx.com/cpu-z-132.zip

it'll tell you what kind of gpu slot you have. once you open it, go to the mainboard tab and look on the bottom for graphics interface. it should tell you what kinda slot it is. if its blank, it means you really do have pci or intergrated video/card on your motherboard.
Old 2006-07-13, 00:37   Link #7
-R6-

Quote:
s-video out should look like this in the back of the card

if not, use cpuz -> http://www.psychohost.clashx.com/cpu-z-132.zip

it'll tell you what kind of gpu slot you have. once you open it, go to the mainboard tab and look on the bottom for graphics interface. it should tell you what kinda slot it is. if its blank, it means you really do have pci or intergrated video/card on your motherboard.
Well i got the agp (i guess it means i should buy a new video card?)

Oh and as i mentioned before i will be mostly using it for movies but i download movies from the internet so will the resolution change from my current video card to a newer version?? (since it might be dvd-rip most of the time)
Old 2006-07-13, 00:53   Link #8
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ice=&maxPrice=

A search on newegg for "VGA to TV" converters turned up this page. Seeing as you have an integrated Intel graphics, it is highly unlikely you'll have a TV out function and will only have VGA out.

As for the resolution, when I use an old VGA to Composite converter I jacked from my school, any resolution above 800x600 would make the screen distorted (must be because of my ancient TV) so 640 x 480 will be the best.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-13, 01:20   Link #9
iceyfw

hm it might use the INT GFX via the AGP port by the looks of the screenshot

open the case and see if it is.

and... do not talk about warez in this forum. the mods go berserk whenever they see the word WAREZ
Old 2006-07-13, 02:56   Link #10
-R6-

Quote:
hm it might use the INT GFX via the AGP port by the looks of the screenshot
what is INT GFX??<--- i am a newb when it comes to going inside the CPU

Quote:
and... do not talk about warez in this forum. the mods go berserk whenever they see the word WAREZ
I didn't say the word WAREZ lol!! but i think i know what you mean
Old 2006-07-13, 03:07   Link #11
iceyfw

O.o

the gpu slot and the cpu are two completely different things.

integrated graphics = name for graphics adapter embedded into the motherboard chip itself

btw what is your cpu?? lets just say... if the file was h. 264 and you have trouble because your cpu cant handle the stress.
Old 2006-07-13, 08:37   Link #12
SlugZilla
woofles

Is your WEGA widescreen, What model is it? I'm betting it has component inputs so you should use that over s-video for higher resolutions. I don't think your geforce has component output and since you're about to upgrade your card that should fix that problem.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-13, 22:40   Link #13
-R6-

Quote:
Is your WEGA widescreen, What model is it? I'm betting it has component inputs so you should use that over s-video for higher resolutions. I don't think your geforce has component output and since you're about to upgrade your card that should fix that problem.
My WEGA is unfortunately not widescreen ..it is a 29" TV(Flat) and here is a picture of it:

Old 2006-07-14, 17:34   Link #14
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Since its a flat screen newer TV it should support higher resolutions, probably 800x600. It would probably say in the owners manual somewhere.
Old 2006-08-26, 23:59   Link #15
Takeru
Jag šter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru Send a message via Skype™ to Takeru
Quote:
Originally Posted by -R6-

I've got a Sony WEGA t.v will that do?

Note:I will be using it only for movies.. i need to make it the best possible resolution
I have a 36" Sony Wega also, I have an S-video adaptor in the back of my notebook. If this is close to your setup, there is usually an S-video input in the front of the Wega.
Old 2006-08-27, 02:25   Link #16
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

is S-video out the back of a computer safe for a TV? wont the still screens cause burn in? i know it will on older projection TVs but does anyone know if its safe for the newer LCD screens?
Old 2006-08-27, 11:39   Link #17
mit7059

I just hooked up a cheap 20" flat screen to my computer, and I've got it working, but It doesn't look very good, what would be the ideal resolution, right now I've got it set to 1024x768

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote