AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2006-08-11, 04:27   Link #1
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Little suggestion...

Could someone add to in the forum rules section 3.1 (Signature Size Limits) a little line that explains that 50,000 bytes is 48.8kb (actually 48.7 is safer... since 50,050 shows as 48.8 too...)
Q. Why is the sig limit 50,000 bytes anyway ... ??????
Programs like PhotoShop use tools like Optimize to file size and most of the information is only displayed in Kb not bytes... so you have to save it then check its size... then go back because you got it 1-2 bytes over the limit...

That... and... how many people think 50,000 si 50k ... I don't really understand why it can't just be : Avatars - 50Kb... Sigs - 50Kb... its not like anyone's going to die if you make them the same...
Another Suggestion...
Under the...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS Index Site
> New Licenses (Last updated: August 5th, 2006)
As it's a bit hard to keep up with what has been recently licensed, see the AnimeSuki License Database for news.
Please note that AnimeSuki does not list licensed anime. For an detailed explanation see the Licensed Anime page.
Could we have a little line with the latest 5 series to get licensed (small font is space is an issue... oh and no need to make them links to information in the database... just simple text... since if anyone wants to know who & why they can just search the database)... please... I'm sure its no big deal... since if you can keep the license database up to date then just modifying a little line from time to time (whenever you feel like it of course) shouldn't be a problem...
I mean you modify this line a lot : > New Licenses (Last updated: August 5th, 2006)
Old 2006-08-11, 05:55   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
Q. Why is the sig limit 50,000 bytes anyway
Tradition, no other reason. It could be 50Kb, it could be 47,273 bytes. But it's 50,000 bytes

I don't really see the need to change it now. 50,000 bytes is as good as 51,200 bytes.
Quote:
Could we have a little line with the latest 5 series to get licensed
My thoughts are... is it worth the extra hassle (for us, the staff) to include the extra information on the AnimeSuki front page when the information is available just one click away (i.e. "see the AnimeSuki License Database for news").

There are enough changes needed to make every time we hear of a license without this addition. Update Series Discussion Index, How Many Episodes: Answered here!, the other How Many Episodes: Answered here!, New Anime License Announcements, the AniemSuki database (for the series), the AnimeSuki License Database, the AnimeSuki front page (the date of the last update for the Licensed Database). I wouldn't be in favour of adding to this list, not when the information is readily available.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 07:33   Link #3
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

I personally don't have a problem changing it to 50Kb. In fact, on balance, I think I would also favor changing it. The difference is mostly insignificant and the confusion of "byte" vs. "Kb" only serves to trip innocent people up needlessly.

Where 50,000 bytes clearly wins over "50 Kb" is the ambiguity... you can't argue with 50,000 bytes, where as people can and will read 50 Kb differently. Having 50,000 means we don't have to worry about getting into arguments about why a signature was removed for being over the limit, even if it is a little pedantic.

(Edit: And The Small One's post proves my point about how people will read it differently (rightly or wrongly) ~)

All that said, I don't think I'll push to have it changed just yet; we're at the time of year when things are reviwed internally... it might get looked at as part of that process... so for now like xris says... it stays.

I won't comment on the other request as xris has said everything I can think of saying

Last edited by NightWish; 2006-08-11 at 07:35. Reason: Updated based on what TSO posted...
NightWish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 07:49   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Arguably that limitation was set years ago, when dial-up connections and slower broadband
connections were still in widespread use - in the meanwhile many more people have gotten
broadband and people who already had broadband will probably have had upgrades by their ISP.

So... I would not have a problem with changing the limit to 80 or 100 Kb (though not more
than that). And that's kilobyte btw (screw standards ).
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 09:49   Link #5
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ eks-ris
» My thoughts are... is it worth the extra hassle (for us, the staff) to include the extra information on the AnimeSuki front page when the information is available just one click away (i.e. "see the AnimeSuki License Database for news").
lol... never noticed that information...
Anyway... I spoted a little glitch in the system...
Ok... lets say... I haven't seen the any Utawarerumono episodes lately... I look at the front page...
Hmm... looks like the license database has been updated... maybe Utawaremono was licensed...
*I click on the link and go to the License Database...*
Ohh... but "Utawarerumono" isn't there ... guess it hasn't been licensed yet...
» There are enough changes needed to make every time we hear of a license without this addition. Update Series Discussion Index, How Many Episodes: Answered here!, the other How Many Episodes: Answered here!, New Anime License Announcements, the AniemSuki database (for the series), the AnimeSuki License Database, the AnimeSuki front page (the date of the last update for the Licensed Database).

Wait a second... why the hell do you have 4 threads for the same thing... ...
Why don't you just use 1 thread with all the information (if the series is licensed... how many eps etc) in the first <insert number of letters in alphabet> posts... and then just make a post every time you want to make an announcement... that way you don't have to wonder around the forum too much when you a show gets licensed...
If its too much work just give me the code from one of the How many eps threads and a copy of the code from the Series discussion index and I'll merge all the information together myself... since they are closed the quote function is disabled

Then I'll just pm you the code and you can create a new thread... In the first post just write a short description... and then create 1 post for every alphabetic character and 1 post for all the numeric ones... once thats done... I'll make an index of them that that you can place in the first post (basically the alphabet... and every letter is a link to the appropriate post)... and its done...

If you want to place the thread multiple forums (Fansub, DVD and..., General Anime) just create a new thread and copy the first post...

I think I can get it done by today... (if it stops raining at my end)
What do you think ?
@ The Smart One
» That's wrong. 50000 byte is 50 kb and not 48.8 kb.
» It has to be 48.8 Kib.
Damn I hate these things... the worst thing is that Photoshop uses it as K (which apparently means Kib)
@ GHDpro
» So... I would not have a problem with changing the limit to 80 or 100 Kb (though not more than that)
While I would really like to make Sig and Ava at 100 kb... it just sounds ... too big ... 80 sounds so good thogh ...

BTW... if you ever consider changing some of the size limits... could you consider changing the size limit for avatars (the 100X100 thing) to something like 120X120... I look at my avatar for example... and it just looks like there's a lot of space there that's not being used ... I've seen it on another forum and 120x120 avatars look awesome... well its not like allowing bigger ones would affect anything ...
Old 2006-08-11, 11:27   Link #6
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
BTW... if you ever consider changing some of the size limits... could you consider changing the size limit for avatars (the 100X100 thing) to something like 120X120... I look at my avatar for example... and it just looks like there's a lot of space there that's not being used ... I've seen it on another forum and 120x120 avatars look awesome... well its not like allowing bigger ones would affect anything ...
100 x 100 is fine, I really do not see the need for larger avatars. We are an anime discussion forum not an image board after all. Anyway, if we make them 120 x 120, people will then ask for 150 x 150, and then 200 x 200...
Quote:
Anyway... I spoted a little glitch in the system...
Ok... lets say... I haven't seen the any Utawarerumono episodes lately... I look at the front page... [indent]Hmm... looks like the license database has been updated... maybe Utawaremono was licensed...
*I click on the link and go to the License Database...*
Ohh... but "Utawarerumono" isn't there ... guess it hasn't been licensed yet...
Yes, life's a bitch sometimes, but you just have to live with it

But if you searched for Utawarerumono you will get this

I won't mention that clicking on Shadow Warrior Chronicles will solve the problem because at that point you might not be aware that Shadow Warrior Chronicles = Utawarerumono. So no need for this paragraph.

Anyway, another reason to some of those thread
Quote:
Wait a second... why the hell do you have 4 threads for the same thing...
They are not the same thing. There is one duplicate but the three threads were created for very different reasons and at different times. The fact that they also include licensed info is an "added bonus"
Quote:
If you want to place the thread multiple forums (Fansub, DVD and..., General Anime) just create a new thread and copy the first post...
Well done, we are now back to three threads that would need updating
Quote:
Why don't you just use 1 thread with all the information (if the series is licensed... how many eps etc) in the first <insert number of letters in alphabet> posts... and then just make a post every time you want to make an announcement... that way you don't have to wonder around the forum too much when you a show gets licensed...
[INDENT]If its too much work just give me the code from one of the How many eps threads and a copy of the code from the Series discussion index and I'll merge all the information together myself... since they are closed the quote function is disabled

Then I'll just pm you the code and you can create a new thread... In the first post just write a short description... and then create 1 post for every alphabetic character and 1 post for all the numeric ones... once thats done... I'll make an index of them that that you can place in the first post (basically the alphabet... and every letter is a link to the appropriate post)... and its done...
I'm not sure what you exactly mean here. If you want, I can PM you the contents of those threads but please bear in mind I might not make use of the end result (you might want to send me a PM explaning what you mean first).
Old 2006-08-11, 12:51   Link #7
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ eks-ris
» Anyway, if we make them 120 x 120, people will then ask for 150 x 150, and then 200 x 200...
Not really... 120x120 would be practical since if you notice the location information is a little longer then the actual avatar (from what I can tell the size of the user information bar on the left of each post has a fixed size)... I thought it would look a little better with avatars that are a little bigger... thats all... it feels like they would fill the space better...

Well like I said before its not like it would effect loading times (I guess thats what you were refering to by image boards)... but I guess its another one of those tradition things

BTW your exaggerating a little with the 150X150; 200x200... things that big don't even classify as avatars... and they don't fit with the way the site is designed... they are simply too big...
» Regarding the license database thing...
I know its Shadow Warrior Chronicles... thats exactly my point... the average visitor won't know... and if your reading stuff on the forum then that information is useless anyway... since you'll notice the new rules long before you notice it in the License Database

That being said people barely do a search when its the only option... do you really expect them to do a search after they went to the License Database and think they found nothing... (since the series is there under a new name)
» I'm not sure what you exactly mean here. If you want, I can PM you the contents of those threads but please bear in mind I might not make use of the end result (you might want to send me a PM explaning what you mean first).
Well to put it simple this is how the structure would look like...

First post

- Short description of the thread -

- Index for the thread -
//Something like the example bellow only the letters are links to the posts in the thread...
//Example :

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0..9

Second Post

== A ==

- All the series that start with A -
- Every series has the number of episodes... if its licensed or not and... the links to the thread/forum...
- Link to first post -

Third Post

== B ==

- All the series that start with B -

- Link to first post -

........................ and the same goes for the rest of the letters

Post Whatever...

== 0..9 ==

- All the series that start with numbers... -

- Link to first post -

Post Whatever+1...

- New series that got license information... -

Post Whatever+2...

- Another new series that got license information... -
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________

Basically from here on the thread functions just like the Announcement thread you mentioned...

This thread goes in the DVD forum and you'll probably want to create two other threads in the Fansub and General Anime forum that have only a copy of the first post...

This way instead of modifying 3 threads you only modify one ... and all you have to do after that is just make a new post there... a lot less hassle IMO...
» If you want, I can PM you the contents of those threads but please bear in mind I might not make use of the end result
Ok ... please pm the content...
Its not really that hard to do... and I don't really have anything else to do... I don't really mind if you don't like the end result ...
Old 2006-08-11, 13:27   Link #8
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
BTW your exaggerating a little with the 150X150; 200x200... things that big don't even classify as avatars... and they don't fit with the way the site is designed... they are simply too big...
No, people have in the past requested for 120 x 120, 150 x 150 and 200 x 200 avatars. You might not think they are avatars but some people do.

I still see no reason to make them more than 100 x 100
Quote:
I know its Shadow Warrior Chronicles... thats exactly my point... the average visitor won't know... and if your reading stuff on the forum then that information is useless anyway... since you'll notice the new rules long before you notice it in the License Database

That being said people barely do a search when its the only option... do you really expect them to do a search after they went to the License Database and think they found nothing... (since the series is there under a new name)
I worded my reply badly, I didn't specifically mean "you" (i.e. BlackCatXIII), I meant "you" as someone who might be reading the thread. I know you (BlackCatXIII) know and I know the average reader might not know. But I agree with you that we do have the "wrong" name on the front page of the License Database.

The actual problem has a simple fix anyway. Traditionally (you can always blame it on tradition) we have listed new licenses using the commercial title (not the fansub title). It's not as if we don't list both, see the actual entry for Shadow Warrior Chronicles
Quote:
Shadow Warrior Chronicles (aka Utawarerumono)
But I think we should show the fansub title on the front page. This is something that GHDpro could implement if he so wished.
Quote:
Ok ... please pm the content...
Its not really that hard to do... and I don't really have anything else to do... I don't really mind if you don't like the end result ...
I'll contact you over this then. There are some aspects which I would require to be different as to what you suggest but I'm not totally against the principle of your ideas.
Old 2006-08-11, 14:18   Link #9
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ eks-ris
» No, people have in the past requested for 120 x 120, 150 x 150 and 200 x 200 avatars. You might not think they are avatars but some people do.
» I still see no reason to make them more than 100 x 100
Well I really don't feel like arguing with you on this...
I still think anything above 120 is too big to be considered an avatar...

Anyway… just out of curiosity here's how they would look like... well of course theres a dramatic drop in quality since I just increased your 100x100 avatar... but they illustrate the size...
120x120

150x150

One word... MONSTER

» I'll contact you over this then. There are some aspects which I would require to be different as to what you suggest but I'm not totally against the principle of your ideas.
Ok
Old 2006-08-13, 00:39   Link #10
hhaamu
Don't panic.

I'm surprised everyone in this thread is talking in kilobits, re signature size. Before the error creeps to the rules page: KiB (kibibytes) or KB (kilobytes).

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
hhaamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 10:06   Link #11
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ The Small One
» That's wrong. 50000 byte is 50 kb and not 48.8 kb.
» It has to be 48.8 Kib.
Interesting thing...
If I were to create a text file that is 50,000 bytes...
When I open properties... it shows...

Yes TSO... I know thats an error... Wiki Link

» Maybe there are still people out there with slow dial-up connections. And while having smaller limits shouldn't really bother the broadband users much, the people with slow connections will probably be much more annoyed by larger files.
There's always the option in the CP to turn off Avatars or Sigs or both...
Or they can just chose a smaller post display setting...

That being said... I think people that have really slow connections either already have those options enabled or don't care for the loading time...
@ eks-ris
» I still see no reason to make them more than 100 x 100
Just thought of two reasons...
  1. People don't use higher resolutions now... avatars look smaller then they used to...
  2. Increasing it to 120 x 120 will give stills a tiny advantage...
Old 2006-08-28, 13:32   Link #12
mit7059

The main problem with all of this KB buisness is marketing, every true size increase except fromt he bit to the byte (8 bits in a byte) is in the form of 1024 because it a size that fits base 2, however, people in marketing who didn't know much about computer decided when they advertised hard drives and such to do it in 1000 blocks, while this may look better and seem more round it makes no sense to the computer, so your computer redoes it, lets take a 120 GB hard drive for example, advertised as 120 GB, which in marketing language means 120,000 megabytes, but when you plug it into your computer it reads just over 117GB, which is actually correct, as for the 50,000 bytes thing and all this arguing, its up to the forums admins, they'res nothing wrong with 50,000 bytes, if you'd rather 400,000 bits 1.3 KB isn't a big deal, and its not worth any of our time arguing about it.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote