AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Which order do you think is the best way to watch?
As aired on T.V. 254 54.04%
Chronological order 138 29.36%
"Ep 0" first, then Chronological order 58 12.34%
Random Order 12 2.55%
Some different order (please specify) 8 1.70%
Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-04-02, 16:20   Link #161
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier

Quote:
On an unrelated note, does anyone else think that "The Order of Haruhi Suzumiya" sounds like the name of a cult?
It isn't?

Old 2009-04-04, 00:45   Link #162
Full Metal Jackass
Most Senior Member

so my brother mentions this show to me the other day and i am in the process of obtaining it, but after reading this thread i am a bit confused. could someone tell me what order the eps aired on tv with the titles and what would be the chronological order thanks
Full Metal Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 05:44   Link #163
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Jackass View Post
so my brother mentions this show to me the other day and i am in the process of obtaining it, but after reading this thread i am a bit confused. could someone tell me what order the eps aired on tv with the titles and what would be the chronological order thanks
The first post of this thread already explained everything, but you can just watch it in whatever order its arranged in the medium you're getting.

But overall as you can see, most of us would suggest that viewing it in the airing order and then watching it again in chronological order will produce the best results.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 21:38   Link #164
RJ TAYLER

Thread title would make for a great light novel/episode title. btw I now watch the series in a random order, whichever episode take my fancy I put on.
Old 2009-05-12, 09:10   Link #165
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I know I said this pages ago.... but my preferred method for a "new cult member" is to show it to them in "aired order" first... then they watch it in chronological Kyon order after snacks. The air of Kyon-disorientation of the broadcast order was great for putting the viewer in Kyon's "shoes of confusion".
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 00:41   Link #166
OkamiNoKaze

How about modified aired order, where the "fillers"are in chronological order

You'd have

Mikuru 00
then Melancholy 1 and 2
"Boredom"
Melancholy 3
Mysteresque Sign
Remote Island Syndrom 1 and 2
One day in the rain
Melancholy 4
Live Alive
Day of Sagittarius III
Melancholy 5 and 6
OkamiNoKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 00:56   Link #167
Kogetsu Shirogane
Crackshipper

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
The "filler" stuff isn't in chronological order there... "Mikuru 00" takes place almost immediately prior to "Live Alive," and "One day in the rain" is after Day of Sagittarius.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... well at least it's consistent...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 19:43   Link #168
OkamiNoKaze

I guess I didn't explain that correctly it's mostly just a modified aired order but Mysteresque Sign and Lonely Island one are switched Chronologically, and Live alive and DoSIII are switched Chronologically.
OkamiNoKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 17:29   Link #169
Jiggy

Broadcast order all the way. Before I say anything in detail, I should mention that I didn't start watching the fansubs until Live A Live had already aired and that I knew in advance about the abilities of Haruhi, Yuki, Itsuki, and Mikuru. This means that any feelings of confusion were lost on me and that I didn't have to wait weeks between episodes, which probably influenced my opinion in some way or other.

Anyway, here are the main points on why I prefer broadcast order even when rewatching:

Melancholy VI as an individual episode:

I don't like Kyon at all, while Haruhi is one of my favorite characters ever and one I very much sympathize with. So if I had just been watching a straight run of the Melancholy line then I'm pretty sure I would have been highly annoyed by the ending of this episode. I don't like seeing Kyon pretty much hit the cancel button on Haruhi's hopes, because I think she deserves to have her wishes more than him--much more, because she's a harder worker, a more determined soul, and most of all someone who's open and bold with her thoughts instead of consciously dishonest.

Melancholy VI worked out for me as a great episode only because I knew what kind of future was being put at risk--Live A Live and Boredom and other cool events that wouldn't have been seen yet in chronological order--and because I knew that even for Haruhi herself it wouldn't be so bad.

Lone Island Syndrome and Mysterique Sign:

These were my three least favorite episodes no matter what order they're watched in, but what kept me going through them in broadcast order (though I disliked them even on my first watch) was the strong plot of Melancholy I-III hanging around unresolved, and my thoughts that somewhere in these three episodes there might be more foreshadowing of what was coming. There wasn't, but that's not the point--they were salvaged for me just because of the hope that there might have been, which is lost if Melancholy VI is known beforehand. They're basically filler all the way, but I didn't find them entertaining filler like Day of Sagittarius or especially Boredom.

Live A Live, Someday in the Rain, and Melancholy VI as an ending:

Live A Live would have been the strongest of all possible season closer to me, because the singing carries the same dynamic flair of Melancholy VI and the ending was something I found much sweeter and more natural to Haruhi than Someday in the Rain. But with Live A Live itself not being the series finale, Melancholy VI is the only other one I could accept as something to follow it two episodes later. Not because of the high stakes, necessarily, but more because it sets up a future while Someday tries to get rid of loose ends. I like endings that are also beginnings, giving the characters something ahead of them which the viewer won't see--and whatever Someday might be, it's not really that.

The second season/batch of episodes/whatever Kadokawa wants to call it will muddy all of this up, of course... But for the first fourteen episodes created, this is the only way to me. It's always what I recommend to people.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 18:19   Link #170
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
I don't like seeing Kyon pretty much hit the cancel button on Haruhi's hopes, because I think she deserves to have her wishes more than him--much more, because she's a harder worker, a more determined soul, and most of all someone who's open and bold with her thoughts instead of consciously dishonest.
So it's all right for an entire world with at least six billion souls to cease to exist at her pleasure? I'm sorry, but saving billions of people takes moral priority over anything that one person could desire, unless you want to elevate Haruhi to a moral level comparable to the Abrahamic God.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 18:23   Link #171
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
So it's all right for an entire world with at least six billion souls to cease to exist at her pleasure? I'm sorry, but saving billions of people takes moral priority over anything that one person could desire, unless you want to elevate Haruhi to a moral level comparable to the Abrahamic God.
Alternate Character Interpretation at its best, eh?

I, for one, prefer Kyon as a character.
Old 2009-05-18, 19:10   Link #172
Jintor

I don't see how you can't like Kyon.

He's so... normal.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 19:12   Link #173
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
I don't see how you can't like Kyon.

He's so... normal.
The people who don't like Kyon, I notice, tend to be the ones who perceive Haruhi as being in the right.

Which she isn't, because, you know, she's the major antagonist, plot-wise, for like the first half the novels.
Old 2009-05-18, 19:29   Link #174
Jintor

She is a jerk.

I mean, I like her, too, but you can't deny that she's a huge jerk.
Old 2009-05-18, 19:30   Link #175
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
I mean, I like her, too, but you can't deny that she's a huge jerk.
Of course not. Although, Kyon is rather an ass too, so it evens out.
Old 2009-05-18, 19:30   Link #176
CrowKenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
The people who don't like Kyon, I notice, tend to be the ones who perceive Haruhi as being in the right.
Which is ironic when you consider that all we know of Haruhi is through Kyon's viewpoint.

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 19:35   Link #177
Kogetsu Shirogane
Crackshipper

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Funny, I didn't realize I thought that way. Thanks for letting me know that.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... well at least it's consistent...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 19:41   Link #178
Jintor

Quote:
Of course not. Although, Kyon is rather an ass too, so it evens out.
He's more lazy than he is an ass, but he is a bit of an ass, yeah...
Old 2009-05-18, 19:59   Link #179
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Funny, I didn't realize I thought that way. Thanks for letting me know that.
"Tend to". "Tend to."
Old 2009-05-19, 18:18   Link #180
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Kyon is an ass, but that's what is really awesome. A main character who is lazy, an ass and likes to find faults at everything? Give this guy a fucking medal.

And Haruhi? I think someone need to shoot her down like a rabid animal. Okay, not that much, but she's very annoying. But maybe because i like Kyon too much.
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote