AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2006-09-02, 12:57   Link #1
Kurapica

Slow downloads despite hundreds of seeds and peers

Hi, I'm trying to download a batch of Hunter x Hunter TV episodes to store on my pc. Despite that there are more than 500 seeders and a thousand peers, my downloadspeed doesn't come above 30 kB/s while I have 3mbp/s connection. If I check my torrentprogram (ABC) it says that the torrent has about 15 seeders and 60 peers?! What is preventing me to connect to more seeders and peers?

Initially I thought that the torrent needed time to connect, but even after leaving it on for hours it stays more or less the same. I don't have this with other torrents.

Anyway, does anybody here know a solution for this? Thanks in advance.
Kurapica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 22:33   Link #2
mit7059

I don't use ABC, I use Azureus, but you might want to check the connection settings on your program to see if there is a maximum number of connections per torrent or just a max number of connections, i turn mine to unlimited. If you are behind a router it may be a NAT problem due to the router's firewall, also check to see what your upload speed is, if its too low then the program may limit your download speed without telling you, if its too high it'll choke off your download speed regardless of your 3mbp/s connection speed. Also, I notice you're in the Netherlands, the majority of the seeds are probably in North America, so you're probably also going to get slow down because the data needs to go through a fiberoptic cable under the Atlantic Ocean as well as a bunch of switching stations.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 22:54   Link #3
Sazelyt
F i n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
Also, I notice you're in the Netherlands, the majority of the seeds are probably in North America, so you're probably also going to get slow down because the data needs to go through a fiberoptic cable under the Atlantic Ocean as well as a bunch of switching stations.
I don't know how the torrent connection works (the level of acknowledgments for each received packet), but if it is a batch send/receive, then the location difference will mostly have an effect on the delay, not the speed of connection.

For the problem, the easiest solution is to check with other torrent programs, if you are not sure about the settings of the program you are currently using. I have mostly used bitcomet and azureus. If I remember correctly their default settings are sufficient to get good download speed.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 12:16   Link #4
Kurapica

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
I don't use ABC, I use Azureus, but you might want to check the connection settings on your program to see if there is a maximum number of connections per torrent or just a max number of connections, i turn mine to unlimited. If you are behind a router it may be a NAT problem due to the router's firewall, also check to see what your upload speed is, if its too low then the program may limit your download speed without telling you, if its too high it'll choke off your download speed regardless of your 3mbp/s connection speed. Also, I notice you're in the Netherlands, the majority of the seeds are probably in North America, so you're probably also going to get slow down because the data needs to go through a fiberoptic cable under the Atlantic Ocean as well as a bunch of switching stations.
Hm, I tried checking for connection limits, but it seems they were unlimited already. I am also not behind a router. Also, it is strange that this happens to this particular torrent, since when I download another well seeded American torrent i'm able to connect to all the other seeders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt
I don't know how the torrent connection works (the level of acknowledgments for each received packet), but if it is a batch send/receive, then the location difference will mostly have an effect on the delay, not the speed of connection.

For the problem, the easiest solution is to check with other torrent programs, if you are not sure about the settings of the program you are currently using. I have mostly used bitcomet and azureus. If I remember correctly their default settings are sufficient to get good download speed.
I think I'll try using Azureus. I used that in the past, but it took quite a lot out of my CPU. But hopefully it will work.

Will be back soon.
Old 2006-09-03, 13:27   Link #5
Sazelyt
F i n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurapica
I think I'll try using Azureus. I used that in the past, but it took quite a lot out of my CPU. But hopefully it will work.

Will be back soon.
The newer versions do not have that problem (at least for me, I had a similar problem for the older versions) - the newer version is also more memory efficient than the older versions. But, if you observe such problems again, you can try bitcomet - in terms of memory-cpu efficiency bitcomet seemed to perform better (in my case).
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-17, 12:28   Link #6
mog08

it's not a private tracker, is it?
mog08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 07:51   Link #7
asrai

mit7059:
"upload speed: if its too low then the program may limit your download speed without telling you, if its too high it'll choke off your download speed regardless of your 3mbp/s connection speed."

Following what you said, FOR EXAMPLE, I'm downloading 5 at the same time then 3 of them are finished and are currently uploading.

3upload, 2download, with that there's more upload right?! So does that mean it'll take me a longer time to download the other 2??

So I should just stop the other 3 from uploading? to attain better download speed??

does it sound confusing?! Bear with it please I have no other way to explain it..hehe (>_<)
asrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-06, 09:50   Link #8
Zetrio
The Knight!

taiwan quake destroyed several undersea internet cables.
Zetrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-15, 18:01   Link #9
Kurapica

Apparently I had to adjust settings in my XP Firewall as well as in my router. Works fine now that I've opened the correct ports.