AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-09-03, 09:56   Link #1
ryomakun

What tools do you use to organize your files?

Hi i want some tips in organizing my files..
Files that i wished to be organized are of the following type:
MP3 (Music Files)
JPG,BMP (Picture Files)
AVI,MPG (Movie Files)

The tools/software need not cover all of the 3 types of files, a tool for each type would be cool also..

I don't know.. is there a tool that tells me This is your Collection of Anime blah blah, then i can rate if an anime is good or not like giving it 5 stars /4 stars etc.. i want to organize my files and add comments to it XD ,

To push my luck, the files need not be on my hard disk... (O_O) i was thinking like, i can put comment, you burned this already (anime) and you put it on a dvd named blah blah.. any help? Wishfull Thinking here... I don't wanna use MS Excel for these stuffs... XD WAH!
Thanks!
ryomakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 10:23   Link #2
Lost

I found Picasa by Google useful for organising my pictures.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 10:57   Link #3
ryomakun

i did a few research here and there.. i found this:
:
Click:My Anime List

looks nice, wanna give it a try to organize my anime XD

anybody have anything else that helps them organize their anime/music etc.
Old 2006-09-03, 16:44   Link #4
ryomakun

Ho ho ho, just found AnimeLamp, looks alot better i guess.
Linkie: Anime Lamp
Old 2006-09-04, 00:26   Link #5
mit7059

a deft right hand, a logitech mouse and lots and lots of folders

It helps having two harddrives devoted solely to video files.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 00:39   Link #6
Medalist
Infie
*Fansubber

This thread has been helpful to me too !! ^^
Medalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 14:53   Link #7
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
a deft right hand, a logitech mouse and lots and lots of folders
Hopefully this sort of pointless manual labor will soon no longer be necessary.

Oh BeOS, how I long for the days of your pervasive, extensible, indexed metadata!

Finally newer OS's are catching up. Mac OS X is in the lead right now (and I believe Leopard will really be the "coming out party" for metadata in mainstream, commercial OSes), but if Microsoft can ever get their asses in gear on WinFS, it will too push manual, rigid folder-based organization to the background.

I'd much prefer to have flexibility in the form of an indexed, searchable metadata database integrated directly into the filesystem. Now THAT'S organized.
Old 2006-09-10, 22:09   Link #8
mit7059

I really don't mind having folders, People love to bash windows, but I don't really have a problem with it...except when things go terribly wrong, which has happened to me, but overall I'm happy with windows. I'd never get a mac because they're overpriced, underpowered, only offer intel processors (hiss), and I can't build one myself. So my only other options are windows and linux, which I'm to lazy to try to figure out. Now I'm just waiting for vista.

Old 2006-09-11, 16:28   Link #9
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
I really don't mind having folders, People love to bash windows, but I don't really have a problem with it...except when things go terribly wrong, which has happened to me, but overall I'm happy with windows. I'd never get a mac because they're overpriced, underpowered, only offer intel processors (hiss), and I can't build one myself. So my only other options are windows and linux, which I'm to lazy to try to figure out. Now I'm just waiting for vista.
I love to bash windows but only because I've used it and had to support it on more than one occasion. At home I use use OS X on my Macs and Linux on my PCs. Windows not welcome here.

I organize my videos like you do on Linux but on my Macs spotlight has made me incredibly lazy. Hitting command+space and typing in a name will get me a file faster than I would manually. Hence now all downloaded anime goes in /Volumes/External HD/downloads/ and stays there until I look in there one day and see that theres 30gb of stuff sitting there.

Images are a different story though. I still organize those manually since most of the file names are completely non-descriptive (like all numbers) and I'm too lazy to rename all the pics I download. I guess I could add spotlight comments to the pics but that actually takes more effort than renaming them.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 19:22   Link #10
mit7059

See the folders work perfectly for me, I have 2 harddrives devoted to anime, the smaller one is the stuff I've had for a while, and the larger one is my ongoing drive, but I have a folder for each series and shortcuts to the drives on my desktop so it's really quite simple, I think its probably just as fast as typing, especially because I probably can't spell some of the series I watch. As for music, I let itunes and rhapsody organize that for me, and I don't have many images. I think I'll always be a PC user, I will surely admit that windows has its flaws, but in that way I think of it as a person. Macs are like the stuffy artists who don't talk to anyone. Linux is like the people who use it, mega techies, and windows is like a normal person, with its probems. But I've got very high hopes for vista, they've had 5 years to work on it.

Old 2006-09-17, 20:11   Link #11
xtrashock
Banned

Didnot find any such programme to manage the files and folders i have to manage my folders my self and in pictures Acdsee help out !
xtrashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-30, 21:32   Link #12
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Do you organize your screencaps?

For those that do, go through the folders and post which anime you've taken the most screencaps of.

For me, Canvas2 is currently #1 on my "Most screencaps taken list". I'm only on ep15 and I've already taken 98 screenies. It's followed by CLANNAD, with 76 caps after 9 episdoes.
Old 2007-12-01, 00:41   Link #13
Kyomi
What do I know?

I organize my folders pretty well, though recently I've been barely taking any screens. I'll have to go with Bleach for my most files. I usually look out for funny moments or really cool faces to make pics or gifs. Currently at 5000 pics and not growing up much now.
Old 2007-12-01, 01:22   Link #14
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

"Screencaps" is rather limiting. There's plenty of other art, CGs, etc... mixed in. In terms of pure file count...

Over 100s:
Fate Stay Night ??? (beats all, but that includes anime, HCG, screencaps from the game, etc...)
Lucky Star 268
Hayate 215
Seto no Hanayome 196
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 154
Clannad 121

Manga, manga samples, and animated gifs not included.

LS must just be photogenic like that, since I didn't like the series itself that much.

I've been trying to cut down on taking screenshots lately, as I keep building up backlogs of unorganized, unnamed images. I empty it out once in a while, and yet it's already at 2-300 already... =/

Last edited by KaneDragon; 2007-12-01 at 01:34.
KaneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-01, 05:25   Link #15
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

[RANT] Whose idea was it to kick this over here? This has NOTHING to do with tech support. I'm talking about screencaps taken while watching anime. Now if someone would kindly move this back to general anime. [/RANT]

Right now, my Canvas2 anime screencap folder contains 218 images after I've finished the series.
Old 2007-12-01, 06:09   Link #16
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Hee hee I didn't realise how old this thread was, I was rejoicing at the return of Lost

Personally I find that with Ubuntu tracker does a pretty good job as long as everything has decent file names. Otherwise I use fspot for photos, Alexandria for my actual books and comics and finally a spreadsheet for my anime collection.
Old 2007-12-01, 13:11   Link #17
mario1234

For pictures, as suggested above, Picasa works great.

As for music and videos....
For one, My Anime List won't actually sort your files for you. It's just a website that you type in what anime you've seen, and it will sort that for you. It's by no means a file manager.

Either way, I just use folders for my music and videos. Videos have specific folders based by anime. And for my music I have a folder for each artist, and then folders within that folder for individual albums. It's basically how iTunes does it....which is a great idea, IMO.
mario1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-01, 17:30   Link #18
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Do any of you running Linux desktops use tools like these?

I don't. I just have a folder tree in my head.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-01, 21:49   Link #19
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HashiriyaR32 View Post
[RANT] Whose idea was it to kick this over here? This has NOTHING to do with tech support. I'm talking about screencaps taken while watching anime. Now if someone would kindly move this back to general anime. [/RANT]

Right now, my Canvas2 anime screencap folder contains 218 images after I've finished the series.
Yeah, merging a "how many screenshots do you keep" thread into a tech support thread is a little...odd... Trying to cut off a useless thread at the pass?
Old 2007-12-01, 23:24   Link #20
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Do any of you running Linux desktops use tools like these?

I don't. I just have a folder tree in my head.
Tomboy kicks bottom. It organises notes and you can link notes together (like web links) and it is searchable. But the reason why it is good for is that it is designed to sync. I have one set of notes on my server and all my boxes just grab the latest version via SSH. The actual review was of Tomboy tasks which I haven't used yet.