AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-09-05, 11:14   Link #1
llama

Send a message via AIM to llama
Gothic Lolita

I’m sorry if this belongs in the Cosplay At it’s Best thread. I wasn’t sure if I should put it there since that one is meant for posting cosplay pictures.

But to the point…

Some of my friends are already talking about throwing costume parties at Halloween, so I had to start thinking about what I'm going to wear. I finally decided to go with the gothic lolita look since I've always thought the dresses were so pretty. ^^ I found some really nice ones on ebay, but the price including shipping comes out to be more than $100, which is a price that makes me very...not happy.

So does anyone know of a good place to buy that kind of thing without paying an arm and a leg for it? Or is that just wishful thinking? I've never looked for gothic lolita stuff before, so I really don't know how much it typically costs.

I've also added a picture of some of the styles I liked so you know what kind of thing I'm looking for.
Spoiler:

So any help or information in that area would be greatly appreciated. Much thanks!
llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 12:09   Link #2
Rurik
Golden

100 bucks for a costume like that??? is not like you are going to wear it to go out to parties…(well maybe there are people that do )…well I got how it looks like, but I don’t think you could find something less expensive than that, given that you look for it in Ebay. Either that or have a tailor make it for you.

If I happen to see one, Ill let you know…We still have time until Halloween. ^^

BTW, You should getting one just like the 5th one in the pic, it will look great on you.
Old 2006-09-05, 12:17   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik
BTW, You should getting one just like the 5th one in the pic, it will look great on you.
Do you mean

456 (Black with white front bit)

or

135 (All Black)

The all black looks good But I'm sure nearly everyone here would like to see llama in any of them
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 12:21   Link #4
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
Do you mean

456 (Black with white front bit)

or

135 (All Black)

The all black looks good But I'm sure nearly everyone here would like to see llama in any of them
the Black with white front bit.

What A "Coicidence" that were "5" could had been, falls on the other Black one
Old 2006-09-05, 12:45   Link #5
Lost

I would say the black with the white front too. Makes it look distinctively maid-like. If not, then 6 would be very nice too. Vampirish almost.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 16:52   Link #6
llama

Send a message via AIM to llama
Heh. This has turned into "Which outfit would llama look best in." But that's ok. That kind of opinion is important to me, too.

I guess what I need to do is find out if there are any specialty shops around here that sell that type of clothing so I can avoid shipping costs. Of course they'll probably be even more expensive in that case. $_$

Wow. How do Gothic Lolita people afford that lifestyle?
llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 17:24   Link #7
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Gothic heh...
(but real gothic does look different imo... more ornamental stuff)

Black makes you look pale (if that is the effect you want, then go with black...)

http://www.dark-fashion-shop.de/inde...85,gothik.html

i.e. that one is 119.66 € (I suppose you meant 100 US$ so this is quite expensive)
available in black, bordo or green

http://www.dark-fashion-shop.de/inde...leid-samt.html

is more in your price range (83.66€)
black/bordo

http://www.dark-fashion-shop.de/inde...xen-kleid.html

witch-dress (59.66€)
black/bordo

http://www.dark-fashion-shop.de/inde...k-kleider.html

(114.66€) black/black+bordo/black+purple

ah just search for yourself, here the link for all the longer dresses...

http://www.dark-fashion-shop.de/inde...e-kleider.html

(6 pages of dresses)
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 17:41   Link #8
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I'm not really knowledgeable about this fashion. I tought gothic was kinda like leather high heels, long skirt, black lipstick, choker etc? As one of my friend dress like this alot and carry around whip and chain. ^^;;
Old 2006-09-05, 17:59   Link #9
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

i prefer the red. you could also dress up like shinku during christmas parties.

100$ really is not that much when u consider it. there are alot of tailors on ebay that can make stuff but it has to be shipped and will get expensive for custom items.

oh yeah, and no heavy make up. that ruins the natural feel i think.

Last edited by Potatochobit; 2006-09-07 at 22:41.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 17:59   Link #10
Green²
It's Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin
ah just search for yourself, here the link for all the longer dresses...

http://www.dark-fashion-shop.de/inde...e-kleider.html

(6 pages of dresses)
First one from the search list may look good.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 18:15   Link #11
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green²
First one from the search list may look good.
just try and wear a bra unlike the chick in the picture
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 18:19   Link #12
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama
Heh. This has turned into "Which outfit would llama look best in." But that's ok. That kind of opinion is important to me, too.

I guess what I need to do is find out if there are any specialty shops around here that sell that type of clothing so I can avoid shipping costs. Of course they'll probably be even more expensive in that case. $_$

Wow. How do Gothic Lolita people afford that lifestyle?

I thought their was a couple costume shops in Tempe, although I'm not sure if they have those kinds of dresses. Did you do google search for shops around phoenix? If not try that I guess. Oh and don't forget to invite me to the party . I really want to be an authentic Mariachi but the costumes are really expensive.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 19:49   Link #13
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
-___-

You know it was bound to happen, you have a fanbase, so those people would commente on What could look best in you.
Old 2006-09-05, 20:02   Link #14
Sazelyt
F i n

I don't know how it looks on people, but the last one seems to be the most attractive one of those. The color and the oldish style (and the thought of it being made from a curtain) reminds me the Irish fictional legend Scarlett O'Hara. Definitely not Halloween style, but I guess not all would care.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-06, 00:33   Link #15
Chibi Nasu
Katsu~n wa Hyoutei

Send a message via AIM to Chibi Nasu Send a message via MSN to Chibi Nasu Send a message via Yahoo to Chibi Nasu
The cheapest route would probably be to make it yourself, if you have any sewing talent. Or to grab a friend to make it for you.

Sort of off-on-a-tangent, I'm absolutely in love with the second dress there, and I think I'm going to be making something like that for myself now.
Chibi Nasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-06, 06:40   Link #16
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Try a Gothic style Corset....

....*Drools*....
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-06, 06:40   Link #17
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Reading about the term gothic lolita in wikipedia, I was wrong to assume that something that contains the term gothic is by definition gothic. Since gothic lolita look is a mix of Rokoko, Victorian/Edwardian, Crinoline, 50's. (well gothic just happens to be 500 years earlier but who cares... the term arose in japan, so I do not wonder much about the missing context )

There seems to be a chinese seller on e-bay, that retailors gothic lolita designs.
Seems to be cheap (imo too cheap to be real), well positive feedback is 100% however (I guess it is hard to cheat that with 98 international ratings).

http://stores.ebay.com/corland90_Got...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

or another seller (seems to be more reliable)

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrppZ25Q...iasQ5flaedchen

this costume looks a little bit like the 2nd one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cosplay-red-Cost...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Jinto; 2006-09-06 at 08:51.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-06, 08:15   Link #18
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
For me I personally like the top middle one, i'm not too good at identifiing colors so i'll leave it at that. The color for it is quite favorful to me, Lavender color i believe. It's #2 on xris chart of dresses.

Yep, you've got fan base now. Dresses brings out the inner/outer feminine of every lady that would happen to wear dresses. Womens in dresss are ecstatically pleasing to the eyes and visually apealling to the masses. Overall it's up to you. It's probably best to include price unless you're going all out, then choose one that's econimically sound yet it has a decent price but it's not the most expensive one.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2006-09-06 at 08:29.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-06, 08:32   Link #19
basket
World's first BBSing cat

Send a message via ICQ to basket Send a message via AIM to basket Send a message via MSN to basket Send a message via Yahoo to basket Send a message via Skype™ to basket
Quote:
So any help or information in that area would be greatly appreciated. Much thanks!
This is just my opinion (and of course, I could be wrong), but I think the first and third dresses in the second row (the purple satiny one and the one with long sleeves) would look very nice on you. ^_^;;;
Old 2006-09-06, 08:53   Link #20
Necrodeath

Wish I could help you lol, but I can't

Anyway, be sure to post pics of you in it when you do get it
I'll come back to the boards if only for that