AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-09-07, 05:30   Link #21
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Sorry for my previous horrible post, to any who saw it. Here's my correction.

In short, this is what I have "otakuish" about my lifestyle.
1) My room is covered in anime posters. Literally covered. And not just any posters. They're covered in mostly all Megami ones, which are very high on the fanservice scale. Except for non-fanservice Nanoha ones there is no loli. Well, Primula from Shuffle, but she comes with Sia or Nerine
2) I have a large 2-drawer-wide dresser that's completely covered in anime figures. Most are gashapon because they're cost effective
3) I have a bookshelf that's covered in the same gendre of figures.
4) I've made some models before. I like doing it but I suck at it. Badly.
5) I attend an anime club, moreso to discuss the industtry and shows with old-time friends than to actually watch anime.
6) My external hard drives are "skinned" with Nanoha hart, as are my PS2 memory cards (Japanese games go on one with Hayate/Nanoha, u/c and eu games go on one with Fate/Wolkenritter)
7) I've purchased about a dozen japanese games.
8) I've purchased one set of Japanese DVDs
9) countless anime DVDs and manga volumes.
10) Seven english-translated visual novels sit on a bookshelf.
11) I've cosplayed before, but admittedly it was only for the money I won in dares. It was Sailor Moon. I've got more of a John Goodman type build.
12) I don't really care what others judge me as in regards to my hobbies (or anything else for that matter) because I see that as childish behaviour on their part.

Here's my "anti-otakuish" things, or "otakuish" things I don't do.
1) I bathe, clean up, dress decent, clean the apartment occasionally and have stable friendships/romance/job, all of which I like.
2) I don't fill my sentances with japanese words or try to act like anime characters.
3) There's not a single anime poster outside my bedroom walls, but there are paintings/plants/etc.
4) I've kissed a girl before
5) I've had sex with girls before. None were underaged, taken forcively or tricked into it.
6) I refuse to wait in line for more than an hour for anything. Even comiket goodies.
7) If I go to Japan, it'll be to tour or to shop. There's no way in heck I'd ever want to "be japanese" or try to feel like I was, or live in Japan.

So in short, I guess the hardcore lifestyle as the japanese see it doesn't appeal to me at all. However, for a Canadian I'm far from "normal". Tho I don't really worry about where I am on the "otaku" and the "normal" hierarchy. I just like doing what I do. Otherwise, I wouldn't be doing it.

I hope that made more sense.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 11:17   Link #22
Rengemaru

Personally I don't care what the hell other people say about me. My friends are generally gaming fans and they watch anime too, but they keep calling me the "anime-freak".

Also I'm a biochemistry student so all of my times is consumed in studying and attending classes/labs. And I spend the remaining time watching anime, so people can't give me the classic "get a life dude" because I have one and I'm satisfied with it and i'm not causing harm to anyone. Thus we should have more confidence in ourselves and ignore those ignorants. As long as we're living as healthy people (as mentioned, personal hygiene, sleeping, eating, etc) we should enjoy our lives as we want it. Because we only live once and we can't have anyone else to tell us how to live it.
Old 2006-09-07, 11:55   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Sorry for my previous horrible post, to any who saw it. Here's my correction.

In short, this is what I have "otakuish" about my lifestyle.
1) My room is covered in anime posters. Literally covered. And not just any posters. They're covered in mostly all Megami ones, which are very high on the fanservice scale. Except for non-fanservice Nanoha ones there is no loli. Well, Primula from Shuffle, but she comes with Sia or Nerine
2) I have a large 2-drawer-wide dresser that's completely covered in anime figures. Most are gashapon because they're cost effective
3) I have a bookshelf that's covered in the same gendre of figures.
4) I've made some models before. I like doing it but I suck at it. Badly.
5) I attend an anime club, moreso to discuss the industtry and shows with old-time friends than to actually watch anime.
6) My external hard drives are "skinned" with Nanoha hart, as are my PS2 memory cards (Japanese games go on one with Hayate/Nanoha, u/c and eu games go on one with Fate/Wolkenritter)
7) I've purchased about a dozen japanese games.
8) I've purchased one set of Japanese DVDs
9) countless anime DVDs and manga volumes.
10) Seven english-translated visual novels sit on a bookshelf.
11) I've cosplayed before, but admittedly it was only for the money I won in dares. It was Sailor Moon. I've got more of a John Goodman type build.
12) I don't really care what others judge me as in regards to my hobbies (or anything else for that matter) because I see that as childish behaviour on their part.

Here's my "anti-otakuish" things, or "otakuish" things I don't do.
1) I bathe, clean up, dress decent, clean the apartment occasionally and have stable friendships/romance/job, all of which I like.
2) I don't fill my sentances with japanese words or try to act like anime characters.
3) There's not a single anime poster outside my bedroom walls, but there are paintings/plants/etc.
4) I've kissed a girl before
5) I've had sex with girls before. None were underaged, taken forcively or tricked into it.
6) I refuse to wait in line for more than an hour for anything. Even comiket goodies.
7) If I go to Japan, it'll be to tour or to shop. There's no way in heck I'd ever want to "be japanese" or try to feel like I was, or live in Japan.

So in short, I guess the hardcore lifestyle as the japanese see it doesn't appeal to me at all. However, for a Canadian I'm far from "normal". Tho I don't really worry about where I am on the "otaku" and the "normal" hierarchy. I just like doing what I do. Otherwise, I wouldn't be doing it.

I hope that made more sense.

yes, it did... thumbs up for a positive lifestyle (though I'll try really hard not to visualize the Sailor Moon bit ... I must reveal I dressed as Frank'n'furter with a Rocky Horror fangroup for Halloween in college... but then I came closer to looking the part and lots of beer helps).
... though I'd actually like to try to live in Japan for a while just to experience living in an alien culture. My time in Canada and New York don't count (though New York was pretty alien ).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 12:14   Link #24
horsdhaleine
i miss japan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergol
No, it doesn't.

Not to sound snobby, but when anime fandom was a smaller circle of people (mid-90s), it was a more interesting group. I guess that's true of any subculture. Goth was more interesting before it was overrun by poseurs and commercialized. So was punk. When things get popular, they attract more people who you want to avoid. That's life.

I haven't been to an anime con in ages. Heck, I was a founding member of Fanime (waaaaaay back in 1994) and didn't go this year even though it was held a half-mile from my house. Too many slobbering fanboys. Too many Fat Yaoi Fangirls. Not enough showers.

I'll always like anime and it'll always be an interest of mine, but there's a lot of other things in life and you have to put things in perspective. Even when we have an "anime night" at home we've lately been mixing episodes of the revived Doctor Who and the sitcom Spaced (very highly recommended, BTW) into the playlist.

Besides, let me assure you that real otaku chicks are very, very rarely as cute as the ones in Comic Party. And the ones that are that cute, are nuts. Trust me on this.
yup. so true of anime circles, punk, and goth.
reminds us of good old days, deshoo?
Old 2006-09-07, 18:17   Link #25
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I would say i have a happy medium im still able to do other things and maintain my Otakuness. Certain parts of it just arent appealing. I mean no women no sex screw that
Old 2006-09-07, 18:33   Link #26
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

i keep a fine line between whats acceptable from an otakuish standpoint and whats not acceptable from a modern adult's standpoint. so that means all my love hina bathing suit figures are in a box in the closet
Old 2006-09-07, 18:35   Link #27
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
I would say i have a happy medium im still able to do other things and maintain my Otakuness. Certain parts of it just arent appealing. I mean no women no sex screw that
well said...most of us should feel the same way i hope

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote