AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-09-07, 09:52   Link #1
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
[Destiny Plan] - Martian Society

We all know that Gilbert's "master plan" was rather strange, wasn't it? Well, I was reading through the first "Gate" for Delta Astray again, and low and behold Gilbert manages to steal yet another Martian idea and use it for his own gain. The dialogue between the Chairman and Agnes is roughly as follows:

Quote:
Gilbert:: I have heard that in your "Austrell Colony", you've managed to construct a special society. If I remember correctly, it is composed of members whose genes were manipulated in accordance with requirements of needed occupations. Am I mistaken?

Agnes:: Insufficient personnel! A harsh environment! Mars has no need for worthless humans!

Gilbert:: Please, please, there is no need to get angry. I'm not criticizing your society. I'm merely interested in it with a pure and genuine interest, that's all. Hm... such an interest give me the impression that I may have said too much.
Granted, we have no real insight on the matter, but judging by what was said and the way Agnes reacted, there does seem to be much room for pleasure on the Red Plant... "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy," comes to mind right away.

Thoughts?
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And itís also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.

Last edited by Deacon Blues; 2006-09-07 at 10:06.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 10:28   Link #2
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues

Granted, we have no real insight on the matter, but judging by what was said and the way Agnes reacted, there does seem to be much room for pleasure on the Red Plant... "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy," comes to mind right away.

Thoughts?
I wonder if that is suggesting Agnes was the infamous Chairman's mentor?

And a society that may be far more militant than Chairman-era PLANT? Quite interesting, lets up the ante (in gene manipulation), shall we (allow me to proudly introduce, the CE era's TITANS!)?

Of course, if PLANT humans are coordinators, than I wonder what Martians are designated as.

- Tak (And somehow I have a feeling that FATkuda's ambitions in regards to his CE universe won't end here. Welcome to a brand new era of Gundam kiddies...)
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 11:23   Link #3
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

All work and no play society and no weapons? Wow.

I was under the impression that Destiny Plan was something thought up and researched by Dullindal himself in his study of a New World Order rather than "Oh, I didn't know Mars had Strong To Survive Policy...Interesting."

Mars seems to have all the best deals. A special society where only the best perseveres, super technology, and connections.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 11:32   Link #4
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Yeah...-_-
Gotta love belated slap-on explanations.
Though Aldous Huxley would have loved this as material for his novel - a society where everyone's genes truly determined their role and where unneeded personnel aren't required...still, I was also under the impression that the Destiny plan was based on Durandal's chats with Raww and the opinions he made for himself throughout genetic research and his monologues on human nature...but now it has to be a Martian that has to miraculously give him the answer to all of his interrogations...
-_-

As for Mars being a breeding ground for an elite, highly specialized society, I'm not surprised - in a world that is really hostile, you can only survive if there's a use for you. People that just tag along without giving any solid contribution while using resources greater than what he or she could bring in return are just dead weights.
Mars sure doesn't look like a promised land for people who dreamed about exploration and the thrill of discovery new things.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 11:35   Link #5
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
Mars seems to have all the best deals. A special society where only the best perseveres, super technology, and connections.
And more reasons why they may just be the known universe's new enemy.

They do appear rather ambitious, at least on paper, with their exploration projects and advanced technology. They have no ambitions for Earth now, but that does not mean they are not saving up for that eventual purpose.

After all, PLANT and Earth are quite tired after two major wars, which does give them Martians a great opportunity for the obvious.

- Tak
Old 2006-09-07, 12:28   Link #6
anselfir
Style ‹ber Alles

Well, even if say one person excels at mathematics as determined by genetics, that does not mean the guy wants to do math for life. The destiny plan is an external judgement of character, fitting each person like cogs into a machine for optimum "performance." However, this is just tyranny taken to a whole new level. Notice the "worthless" human, basically saying if you are worthless to me/the plan/increasing steel production then you are trash.

This idea isn't really strange, it should have been dealt with in properly taught ethics101. Too bad it wasn't really brought out in GSD, which should have at least exhibited the Destiny Plan in concrete detail instead of killing a bunch of PLANTs. But that's another topic.

The mars thing is really wacked if they are going to make a whole series out of it. I just want some OVAs with kira/lacus fanservice, maybe a destiny remake/movie to sort everything out.
Old 2006-09-07, 12:39   Link #7
tritoch

Quote:
I just want some OVAs with kira/lacus fanservice
I thought SNT1 was the one who posted that. =p ahaha.. same icon.
Old 2006-09-07, 12:54   Link #8
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritoch
I thought SNT1 was the one who posted that. =p ahaha.. same icon.
And according to the same individual, he is the fourth(?) person with the same icon

- Tak (I am just a Goddess worshipping militant... uniqueness is my middle name)
Old 2006-09-07, 12:58   Link #9
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

yeash, I could skip the Kira part, but Lacus fanservice I wouldnt mind....
SNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 13:03   Link #10
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1
yeash, I could skip the Kira part, but Lacus fanservice I wouldnt mind....
Of course they have that, its called DOUJINSHI

- Tak (And don't forget, gilrs dig Kira )
Old 2006-09-07, 13:09   Link #11
tritoch

rolf we hijacked the thread! haha

Anyways if they make MARS the new enemy I wish they'd give us someone like Scirocco as an enemy or maybe... the ability to talk anyone down like how Kira did it with Rey.

okay im being sarcastic now. sorry.
Old 2006-09-07, 13:11   Link #12
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
(And don't forget, gilrs dig Kira )
I'm not so sure its only the girls. \(o_O)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritoch
Anyways if they make MARS the new enemy I wish they'd give us someone like Scirocco as an enemy or maybe... the ability to talk anyone down like how Kira did it with Rey.
somehow, brainfrying Kira seems like the only way he'd retire from MS piloting in CE...
SNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 13:21   Link #13
anselfir
Style ‹ber Alles

Eh, that came out totally wrong.

Btw this avatar is amazing!

Kira retiring from piloting...and goes into the babysitting business.

Last edited by anselfir; 2006-09-07 at 13:43.
anselfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 13:43   Link #14
tritoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1
I'm not so sure its only the girls. \(o_O)/

somehow, brainfrying Kira seems like the only way he'd retire from MS piloting in CE...
they could make lacus pregnant and Kira wouldn't want to move from lacus' side.
Old 2006-09-07, 13:50   Link #15
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritoch
they could make lacus pregnant and Kira wouldn't want to move from lacus' side.
Old idea, saw that on fan stuff already

But the concept of their child is often so... cute!

- Tak
Old 2006-09-07, 14:45   Link #16
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
i guess Mars is to CE as Jupitor is to UC. Maybe there is hope for the CE.
Old 2006-09-07, 15:05   Link #17
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Not really. Mars has no mobile suits or weapons of destruction really. The Delta Astray and the Guardshell are the only weapons at this point that they possess. Lowe basically built them for them (and the shocking thing is that Agnes can pilot it so well in such a short time).

And WTF at the avatars. Jeebus.

And itís also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Old 2006-09-07, 15:18   Link #18
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues
Not really. Mars has no mobile suits or weapons of destruction really. The Delta Astray and the Guardshell are the only weapons at this point that they possess. Lowe basically built them for them (and the shocking thing is that Agnes can pilot it so well in such a short time).
Likewise, nobody in the beginning of SEED knew anything about the secret weapon stash in ORB's underground bases. As we found out, it was revealed to a rather shocking Archangel crew once war became imminent.

Who knows, maybe the Martians kept themselves busy while the Bloody Valentine war went on...

- Tak (And if they wanted to mass produce whatever MS they can get their hands on, or design new ones, I imagine it wouldn't be a difficult thing to do. After all, they contributed to the Stargazer project)
Old 2006-09-07, 15:35   Link #19
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
- Tak (And if they wanted to mass produce whatever MS they can get their hands on, or design new ones, I imagine it wouldn't be a difficult thing to do. After all, they contributed to the Stargazer project)
I thought it was the other way round - that the DSSD participated in Delta Astray's development...O_-

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 16:00   Link #20
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
Likewise, nobody in the beginning of SEED knew anything about the secret weapon stash in ORB's underground bases. As we found out, it was revealed to a rather shocking Archangel crew once war became imminent.

Who knows, maybe the Martians kept themselves busy while the Bloody Valentine war went on...

Except that it was specifically stated that they have no weapons of destruction. Agnes as well as story text says this. As for the entire Martian settlement, that was spearheaded by DSSD/Private Investors, so basically Mars is DSSD. :x So... Stargazer is just DSSD, not Mars. D: