AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-11-06, 19:26   Link #101
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
I am sure Ralph had a reason for doing what he did. Whether we agree with him or not is the issue.

As for which side is the bad guy in the war? I doubt either side is completely clean. Considering how long the war has been going on both side had probably did plenty of dirty stuff. The question is less of who is clean but who is less dirty.
Again we are taught and reminded that the universe is not black and white but on different shades of grey.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 20:31   Link #102
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post
It seems people(as in the characters) in this anime have no problem with nudity.In the first episode,we see both guys and girls in the same locker room...Also when Sara and her friends rush into the locker room,you see Sara starting to undress and in the next scene,we see Sara zipping up her suit but we can clearly see she has nothing under there.
The first scene just involves equipment storage, but the second scene (ep1 at around 14:40) clearly shows that what you are saying is true, at least under emergency. Sara strips down to her underwear in full view of everyone, then goes to unhook her bra, still talking. In the next scene, she is zipping up her suit over no bra. The only reason they don't show everything is that our society is not as comfortable with nudity as this future society is. In any case, it gives the show at least a little something that indicates this society is actually far in the future and significantly different from our own. Unfortunately, it's about the only thing I see so far, however.

I agree with Guido's comment about shades of grey. It's so much easier to see in fiction than in our own present-day world, where it is just as true. We'll see what happens. The Anime News Network page says that the script is "loosely" based on A Little Princess, as he says and as it appears to be.

As Sonhex says, that scream may be about the only thing (besides Yukana) that's similar between this show and Simoun. Since Simoun is one of my all-time favorites, the more similarity the better, as far as I'm concerned. That's a far-future show that did present a significantly different society.

I admire Tanaka Rie's performance as Isabella, but like StanAce, I loathe all such characters and could easily do without them. Maybe I'm just too averse to ill-will, lol. The only good thing about them is that they have a lot of room to change for the better. If only they would.

I do love Sara's character, but at the moment my favorite character is Lotti, played by Yukana.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-11-06 at 21:21.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 20:47   Link #103
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

It is indeed to soon to see how's is bad and who is good.The Union had locked away Reasoner Emily,while keeping MIMIC emily in a junkyard of some sort.Now why would they do that?

There's also the fact that the Union's Strain are all light colored,while the Deague's TUMOR are all dark and evil looking,you know they just want to make you believe the Union is good so when Ralph brings the truth about who's the real bad guy it will change Sara's whole perspective.

Also watching episode 2 again,when the TV shows a report on Ralph Werec,you see even Lotti looks angry at him.It seems his betrayal shook all the Reasoners.
Darklightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 21:34   Link #104
StanAce
Opinionated Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post
It is indeed to soon to see how's is bad and who is good.The Union had locked away Reasoner Emily,while keeping MIMIC emily in a junkyard of some sort.Now why would they do that?

There's also the fact that the Union's Strain are all light colored,while the Deague's TUMOR are all dark and evil looking,you know they just want to make you believe the Union is good so when Ralph brings the truth about who's the real bad guy it will change Sara's whole perspective.

Also watching episode 2 again,when the TV shows a report on Ralph Werec,you see even Lotti looks angry at him.It seems his betrayal shook all the Reasoners.
Hrm, how do we know that the girl Ralph had taken away is a reasoner though?

While we see that Lotti harbors some extreme form of hatred for Ralph Werec, I'm sure there must be a greater reason behind it than just the fact that Ralph had betrayed the Union. After all, a person probably wouldn't get that angry just from looking at an image of a traitor if there wasn't a specific, personal reason.

I'm curious as to exactly how Sara can recover her abilities as a reasoner though. After all, didn't she lose her original MIMIC? IIRC, an individual's MIMIC develops with that individual starting right from birth. Surely, that's not something you can recover within a period of a few months, or even years.
StanAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 22:38   Link #105
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAce View Post
While we see that Lotti harbors some extreme form of hatred for Ralph Werec, I'm sure there must be a greater reason behind it than just the fact that Ralph had betrayed the Union. After all, a person probably wouldn't get that angry just from looking at an image of a traitor if there wasn't a specific, personal reason.
It's explained in the manga...
Spoiler:

Now that I think more about this, perhaps they are sending the pilots into some sort of comatose state when they travel at near-light speed? Otherwise, wouldn't you age while you waited the 130+ years for your sublight vehicle to reach the frontlines? I don't think relativity can explain away the time *you* as the pilot perceives...

More spelling tidbits from the manga:

Flisser is how フリッサー is written. From the picture, it seems to be a type of Strain used only for trainees.
Old 2006-11-06, 22:49   Link #106
sazan fan

Quote:
After all, a person probably wouldn't get that angry just from looking at an image of a traitor if there wasn't a specific, personal reason.
Umm... No. You are most likely correct concerning the case with Lotti. However to generalize your statement for everyone is wrong. For someone in the military, or possess a great deal of patriotism, treason is absolutely unforgivable. For example, when the war in Iraq first began, there was an incident concerning a (now former) US soldier trying to set off a grenade in a tent crowded with other US soldiers. I have not seen the image of that person nor do I know his name. But if I was given the chance, I will gladly carve out his laryngeal prominence and shove a 6 inch blade up his navel. Plus, a person SHOULD be furious when shown a picture of a traitor. I mean, if you are not willing to risk your life in the front lines, getting angry is the least you can do.
sazan fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 22:55   Link #107
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

On second thought, the manga has Lottie looking at the "world time" gauge on their vehicle. The time speeds up faster and faster as they accelerate, so I guess no cryogenesis except for long trips? Lottie and Carrisford spend 12 hours total in their Strains and about 1 month elapses in the real world.
Old 2006-11-06, 22:59   Link #108
StanAce
Opinionated Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas View Post
It's explained in the manga...
Spoiler:

Now that I think more about this, perhaps they are sending the pilots into some sort of comatose state when they travel at near-light speed? Otherwise, wouldn't you age while you waited the 130+ years for your sublight vehicle to reach the frontlines? I don't think relativity can explain away the time *you* as the pilot perceives...

More spelling tidbits from the manga:

Flisser is how フリッサー is written. From the picture, it seems to be a type of Strain used only for trainees.
Ah.. well, if someone feels like trying to do the work to hopefully explain it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_factor
where c = 3.00 x 10^8 m/s
and 1 light year = 9.4605284 × 10^15 meters

Too lazy to do real research, so wikipedia will do. =P
StanAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 23:32   Link #109
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
mmmm....mixed feelings about this series. love mecha, but im not so sure on this seires.
I guess i have to give it a few more episodes.
The design is ...meh. Animation is meh...story well..it started off well...but then....i mean really....i had roll my eyes.....and say..

"not again..." couldn't they just ...like...make him show up..later? bleh.

Mid you i do hope they show the other sides of the story on the enemy.

as for traitor thing, well its all subjective, one man's traitor is another mans freedom fighter.

being a spy is one thing, and switching sides altogther is another.

anyway, like vandread they showed the enemy, they gave them the reasons for it, and you pity them but at the same time you knew they were wrong.

I hope in this one it won't be so clear cut, but honestly i rather her brother died...this is getting slightly comical....
Old 2006-11-07, 00:41   Link #110
ImClueless
Rawr

Just saw episode 1 and 2 and I am sold on this show. IMO definitely better than Code Gaess as the best mecha show for the season (although Code Gaess has better animation and character designs courtesy of CLAMP). Although I do like the 3D mecha.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-07, 01:34   Link #111
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
gah i knew i was missing out on the new mecha anime...kinda forgot about if with all the others going on
i really liked the different style of chara design here...especially the eyes...its a nice change from what im getting atm...
the mecha are soo cool! best ive seen so far...flying bird/huminoid hybrid machines are win ^_^

just seen ep 1 so heres my comment...
Spoiler:

i think this series is giving off a lot of Z.O.E (zone of the enders) vibes...having played the game i can somewat relate the animation of the mecha and the darkness of the stroy to it

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 01:48   Link #112
c^2

There seems to be some confusion about the effect of space travel on time passage. I find the easiest way to keep it straight, is to remember that photons do not age. They effectively exist outside of time; when you stare up at the starry sky, you are seeing the universe as it was long ago, but from the photons' perspective, they have only just sprung into existence.

Now, if one could travel at the speed of light, one could reach any point in the universe instantly from their own perspective. However, in so doing, all else will have aged accordingly, both at the source and destination. Basically, to stationary observers, relativistic travelers will age slower and slower the closer they approach the speed of light. After slowing again, the passage of time will eventually approach that of observers, though the traveller will have left the stationary person forever in the (possibly distant) past.

As such, when discussing large distances, it is easier to think that they are separated in time rather than space. 130 light-years of distance effectively separates two points by 130 years of time. As such, a round trip will cost 260 years as measured on the source planet, even if the traveller has barely aged. Considering that you effectively take your own "clock" with you, if you follow the same course as someone else, you will arrive at the same "now" when you catch up. This is what Sara intends to do, but I suppose that much is obvious. Traveling at relativistic velocities is effectively time travel into the future.
Spoiler for episode 2 and other speculations...:
c^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 04:23   Link #113
EragonJeriel
heh

What the hell is a MIMIC??
a machine containing ur brain cells?
why would piloting a Mecha need it ??

Last edited by EragonJeriel; 2006-11-07 at 04:36.
EragonJeriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 05:08   Link #114
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EragonJeriel View Post
What the hell is a MIMIC??
a machine containing ur brain cells?
why would piloting a Mecha need it ??
It's a "Ministerial Instrument of Mercurion Interface Core" of course
Engrish aside, it looks as if it's the brain of your twin, where your thoughts transfer directly to the Mimic and the Mimic is able to communicate directly with the Strain through its connectors. It's supposedly a zero-latency link between you and your Strain.
Old 2006-11-07, 05:16   Link #115
ccardoso
Banned

Quote:
As such, when discussing large distances, it is easier to think that they are separated in time rather than space. 130 light-years of distance effectively separates two points by 130 years of time. As such, a round trip will cost 260 years as measured on the source planet, even if the traveller has barely aged. Considering that you effectively take your own "clock" with you, if you follow the same course as someone else, you will arrive at the same "now" when you catch up. This is what Sara intends to do, but I suppose that much is obvious. Traveling at relativistic velocities is effectively time travel into the future.
No you're highly wrong: 130 light years means the distance covered by something traveling at the speed of the light for 130 years. As nothing can go faster than light (unless it's stated differently in the anime of course) then that is the maximum speed anything can reach. So for the observer who moves at the speed of the light the time passes normally: ten minutes remains ten minutes FOR HIM. For an observer on a standard planet ten minutes of the observer who moves at the speed of light means hundreds of years. This implies that:
1) A distance of 130 light years means it's needed 130 years of time to cover it for an observer who moves at the speed of the light.
2) When the observer covers that distance, after 130 years, when he decrease his speed from the speed of light to ordinary ones, several thousands of years are passed evreywhere where the matter moves at normal speeds (including both source and destination planets).
ccardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 05:50   Link #116
EragonJeriel
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas View Post
It's a "Ministerial Instrument of Mercurion Interface Core" of course
Engrish aside, it looks as if it's the brain of your twin, where your thoughts transfer directly to the Mimic and the Mimic is able to communicate directly with the Strain through its connectors. It's supposedly a zero-latency link between you and your Strain.
ahh i see, so its something like evagelion huh... i though it was pilot controlled
They could have clone more than just one copies when the pilot was a baby or get one from a new born, maybe it wouldnt be as effective or something but works huh... i wonder will she use the Emily Mimic in ep3
EragonJeriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 06:07   Link #117
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Spoiler:

It looked to me that the girl that Ralph, shall we say 'rescued', is a living creature. The Emily doll that Sara found at the end had MIMIC in her body is just that, a doll. I think this ties in with the ED animation of the real Emily carrying the Emily doll.

The real Emily is something that Ralph considers to be more important than the Union, than his sister even. I'm beginning to harbour a theory that the Union has been using the real Emily in someway that is abhorrent (at least to Ralph) and possibly linked to the power of the MIMICs and the STRAINs. Power source maybe? Some kind of neural network for the MIMICs?
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 12:29   Link #118
kari-no-sugata

Folks, watch your Gunbuster. It's good for you

At least, with helping to explain time dilation;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 12:38   Link #119
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
oki just saw ep 2...
Spoiler:

btw...how do you kill your MIMIC? doesnt seem to take vary much to kill it even tho its inside your body...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 13:16   Link #120
ImClueless
Rawr

The MIMIC isn't inside your body...Its that thing they carry around and insert into their Strains. Its that thing she placed into her locker at the end of her training session in episode 1. Sara calls her MIMIC Sara lol, although that does make sense.

As for Emily I believe that the girl Ralph stole was the Reasoner and Emily is her MIMIC