AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-13, 09:02   Link #1
eternal

School Rumble feel

I'm not asking for Azumanga Daioh,i've just watched that series until episode 5,i can't say i like it,but if you advise me to watch futher please tell me to do so cause i don't wanna miss out any great series.

I seldom watch comedy series,i'm into Gundam,Noir,Madlax,Blood+,FMA serious type anime;and for my personal favourite-shoujo ai as well,but that's an exception.

To me watching school rumble is very very relaxing as the joke is really a JOKE and what's more fun to watch.The story doesn't drag too long away like Naruto and Bleach but it's not like every story's episode doesn't relate to each other(like Sailormoon ,Cardcaptor Sakura type of anime).School rumble doesn't make me bored,unlike some series i like but some of the episodes really bore me off.

Suggestions are appreciated.Thank you verymuch.
Old 2006-09-13, 09:13   Link #2
rooboy
Umeboshi!

If what you're looking to replicate is the kind of over-the-top parody of shonen tropes that School Rumble has, the next best series is probably Yakitate Japan (I'm taking this tack since you don't seem to want another comedy school slice-of-life type thing, which would be Azumanga Daioh). Yakitate Japan is about a boy who teaches himself to make bread and wants to be the best in the world at it - it parodies just about every shonen trope out there. My personal favorite is when they all shout out "What???" whenever some plot-twist happens. It is pretty long (something like 69 episodes, I think), but it's also finished - and School Rumble is actually something like 52, so it's not like it's out of range of the series you're talking about.
Old 2006-09-13, 13:40   Link #3
MamoruUsagi

I think that there's already a topic like this.

All these series are boy/girl boyfriend/girlfriend stories.

Marmalade Boy has lots of romance and comedy. The couple dates during the series and it's great.

Happy Hustle High has a lot of romance and comedy. The couple becomes boyfriend and girlfriend early on in the series, has a lot of kisses and the series is both serious and funny. It's a 5 book manga series, where the couple is dating during the series. There relationship is serious, but ther eis lots of humor, too.

Doubt!! is a hilarious series.

You might enjoy Kare Kano Boyfriend and Girlfriend, which has a lot of romance and some comedy. The manga is 21 volumes, the couple gets together early on, the anime only goes to volume 7.

Absolute Boyfriend is a series where the couple gets together early on and are boyfriend and girlfriend during the series. It has a bit of comedy and a lot of romance.

High School Debut

There's another topic like this.

For some serious series

Peach Girl

Make sure you read the manga, the anime takes out and tones down everything. All references to sex are changed to kissing. The anime cuts out everything from the manga.

Mars

A serious manga, 15 volumes.

Kare First Love

Similar series.

For manga series with continuing plots

Fushigi Yuugi is a long romance series, 18 books, with a wonderful plot where the couple gets engaged, married, has a child. The anime only goes up to volume 13, while the manga covers all 18 volumes. Fushigi Yugi is a great manga series. The anime takes out a lot of the plot.

Ayashi no Ceres, another serious series, the manga is 14 books, the anime cuts out everything.

Bokura ga Ita

The Devil Does Exist

Paradise Kiss

Also, defending Sailor Moon, the manga is a lot different than the anime. Also, if you go into all 200 episodes of the anime, the couple becomes boyfriend and girlfriend, gets engaged, gets married and has a child. The plot is more about romance than fighting. The live action version is also good. The manga goes in deeper, there's more kissing, more dating and the wedding is shown between the couple. The series is a lot more romantic, serious and dramatic than you may think.

Were you asking for a long series that continues or a series with a plot that continues the story?

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2008-09-03 at 18:33.
Old 2006-09-13, 22:02   Link #4
eternal

thanks umm...but yakitate japan isn't really what i'm looking for I don't really mine slice of life and school life actually,i just want it to be real funny.

mamoru usagi...thanks for the long reply.such an effort u put in there,but umm no,you didn't really get what i want ,i've known those series but those are not as fun as school rumble.

Acutually i've read all GTO(great teacher onizuka) manga,it's so far one of the best manga i've ever read.It makes me feel like...i'm a japanese student ^^
Old 2006-09-13, 22:34   Link #5
rooboy
Umeboshi!

I was afraid of that - if you're not looking for the parody-of-shonen aspects of School Rumble and you're looking for something like School Rumble, but didn't like Azumanga Daioh - you might try Pani Poni Dash or Cromartie High (both are licensed, but then so is School Rumble). Both are also parody comedy high school shows.

I don't think any comedy show exactly duplicates School Rumble (there wouldn't be a purpose to it if it did), but Pani Poni Dash has some of the features - it's straight parody/absurdist comedy, set in a school, over the top caricatures as characters. The only problem is that most shows like this don't actually have a plot that carries over from episode to episode as strongly as School Rumble does (not that School Rumble does a lot of it but it does do some).

You might also give Hare+Guu a try (also licensed) - it's not a school life thing, but does seem to move it's plot in a generally forward direction.

Personally I get the same kind of kick out of Magikano as School Rumble - but I'm not sure I'm really enjoying the same things from School Rumble to begin with.
Old 2006-09-13, 22:48   Link #6
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Check out Gakuen Alice, it's a school comedy type of anime. Most of the jokes are pretty funny and over the top.
Old 2006-09-14, 06:49   Link #7
andromeda0201

well how about Full Metal Panic FUmoffu!, that was a really hilarious short anime, but you have to watch at least the 1st few episodes of the first season Full Metal Panic to know the characters, then you can jump straight to Fumoffu, since theres no relevance
Also try Midori no Hibi, another hilarious short series
If you like GTO, you might like Gokusen,another light hearted comedy, just that this time the teacher is female from a yakuza family. Check out the j-drama version if you enjoy the anime
Ranma 1/2 is a classic one, I advise you to read the manga though
Old 2006-09-14, 13:25   Link #8
MamoruUsagi

Sorry I didn't give the right suggestions...
Closed Thread