AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-04, 06:31   Link #21
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar
My premonition is the sunako will eventually become beatiful and possibly have the blonde bishi who broake her confidence actually recognize her, and maybe attempt to date her or something.
Sunako is from Hokkaido, so it would be hard for her to ever meet the guy again.

Spoiler for manga spoiler:
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 09:20   Link #22
wao
OK.

Episode 1 was OK. The comedy was so-so... I thought Ouran was more funny, but well I guess it's interesting enough for now. But I might drop it if they don't do better with the direction - because a lot about humour is the timing and the way you build it up, too. I also hope they don't make it entirely humour or it'll definitely get too old too fast, but at the same time that the serious parts aren't just lip service.

Although I usually don't understand what is up with girls who get so upset over their looks. Especially when it's not because of the way their face is but because they didn't take good care of their skin. What, do you expect all guys to be nice to you and politely reject you...? Ah well. I suppose Sunako will eventually learn that one has to do something about the way they act inside before it has a meaningful effect on the way they appear outside. etc.
Old 2006-10-04, 10:33   Link #23
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Episode 1 was OK. The comedy was so-so... I thought Ouran was more funny, but well I guess it's interesting enough for now. But I might drop it if they don't do better with the direction - because a lot about humour is the timing and the way you build it up, too. I also hope they don't make it entirely humour or it'll definitely get too old too fast, but at the same time that the serious parts aren't just lip service.
I guess it'll depend somewhat on what episodes the animators choose to do and how long the series runs for - since it is quite an episodic series, they can start doing things out of order if they wish.

btw, I'm not going to claim this series is going to be better than Ouran.

Quote:
Although I usually don't understand what is up with girls who get so upset over their looks. Especially when it's not because of the way their face is but because they didn't take good care of their skin. What, do you expect all guys to be nice to you and politely reject you...? Ah well. I suppose Sunako will eventually learn that one has to do something about the way they act inside before it has a meaningful effect on the way they appear outside. etc.
Well, Sunako used to care about her looks (though was always a little weird) but after being called "ugly" directly, she "threw away her feminity", and now doesn't care about her looks or what she eats. She seems happy with that - Sunako occationally tries to drag down depressed girls into her world
Old 2006-10-04, 13:15   Link #24
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Now that I think about it, most openings spoil some surprise-plot factors of the first episode, and this opening (made out of parts of the ep) could be a special resource to avoid this (as long as we get a true opening for episode 2 onwards).
If thats the case, good.
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 13:54   Link #25
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki

This is not the funniest anime ever (that would be Ichigo Mashimaro, for my taste), but I found the first episode much funnier than Ouran. I hardly laughed at all during Ouran. Not to criticise a well-done show, just saying that there are different tastes in humor.

I am of two minds whether to take the serious subtext of the anime seriously. I think the absurd humor is the main thing, and I fear that any serious points will quickly become detached from reality. On the other hand, I like the fact that in the early rejection scene, what you could see of her face actually looked quite pretty, so this whole two years is probably just due to gross overreaction and misperception on her part. And I think Sunako can be taken as a stand-in for a male hikikomori otaku, so you can feel the situation from the point of view of either gender.

As for the OP, I agree that they will probably do something different for future eps. I'd be happy if they did something like they did for the ED: art without story content. That's another way of avoiding spoilers.
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Fate/Stay Night UBW | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 17:01   Link #26
domino
デレデレ

Looking forward to seeing this subbed~~

I read some of the manga. The first two volumes are amazing, but the gags get old fast and the art isn't very good, so it doesn't really go anywhere. The concept is hilarious, but the author's story-telling techniques are quite poor. The characters in the manga were so bland that after a few volumes I STILL couldn't tell the boys apart and I STILL couldn't even remember their names...

I wonder if the manga developed a real plot since I dropped it?

Will be watching it to see if they clean up the story, though. And thankfully now that it's in color I'll at least be able to tell the difference between the characters... ~_~ This show seems well-suited for a quick 13 episode run, so I hope it doesn't stretch too much...
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 13:37   Link #27
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino
I read some of the manga. The first two volumes are amazing, but the gags get old fast and the art isn't very good, so it doesn't really go anywhere. The concept is hilarious, but the author's story-telling techniques are quite poor. The characters in the manga were so bland that after a few volumes I STILL couldn't tell the boys apart and I STILL couldn't even remember their names...

I wonder if the manga developed a real plot since I dropped it?
I'd say the average quality improves a bit... but it's still about the same - the characters slowly change though. Most stories are self contained - average number of chapters per story arc slightly less than Host Club's. The stories tend to be more random and much less focused on school compared to Host Club. As you can probably tell from the first 2 volumes, some stories have quite dark aspects too and there's also pretty regularly violence, but mostly lighthearted (if that makes any sense).
Old 2006-10-05, 13:41   Link #28
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Well, what can I say... the show really-really... REALLY wants to be the next Ouran.

It fails miserably, though, because it is ugly.

Sorry, but with a concept neatly stolen from Bernard Shaw's "Pygmalion" (AKA "My Fair Lady") and stupid attempts at humor, you just don't cut it anymore, Nabeshin.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 13:50   Link #29
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Sorry, but with a concept neatly stolen from Bernard Shaw's "Pygmalion" (AKA "My Fair Lady") and stupid attempts at humor, you just don't cut it anymore, Nabeshin.
I'm not so sure.

That show was about taking a guttersnipe and turning her into a high-class lady as part of a bet.

This is more like taking a girl with a shattered self confidence and restoring her faith in herself.

They arent giving her accent lessons or teaching her how to appeal to the sensibilities of the gentry.

I'm going to give it a shot.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 13:56   Link #30
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

The concept of "Pygmalion" is that Professor Higgins made a bet that he will be able to educate a Cockney girl enough to pass her off as a duchess.

This is basically the same plot.
Old 2006-10-05, 15:10   Link #31
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Like I just said, I don't see the parallel.

If there was a bet involved, and Sunako was a burakumin or something, maybe.
That doesnt seem to be the case at all.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 15:22   Link #32
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
This is not the funniest anime ever (that would be Ichigo Mashimaro, for my taste), but I found the first episode much funnier than Ouran. I hardly laughed at all during Ouran. Not to criticise a well-done show, just saying that there are different tastes in humor.

I am of two minds whether to take the serious subtext of the anime seriously. I think the absurd humor is the main thing, and I fear that any serious points will quickly become detached from reality.
A lot of themes are repeated pretty often. The biggest problem for the "serious points" is that Sunako does things her own unique way.

Spoiler for example:

Quote:
On the other hand, I like the fact that in the early rejection scene, what you could see of her face actually looked quite pretty, so this whole two years is probably just due to gross overreaction and misperception on her part. And I think Sunako can be taken as a stand-in for a male hikikomori otaku, so you can feel the situation from the point of view of either gender.
Yeah, she is quite hikikomori - though instead of parents on the other side, it's 4 bishounen.

Spoiler for bit more info:
Old 2006-10-05, 15:28   Link #33
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
The concept of "Pygmalion" is that Professor Higgins made a bet that he will be able to educate a Cockney girl enough to pass her off as a duchess.

In this show, Sunako's "education" is not the main point of the story... though it does come up from time to time - mostly when Suanko's aunt (the owner of the mansion) drops around.
Old 2006-10-05, 16:02   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Okay.. the *premise* sounds really entertaining .... will add this to my considering list.
Old 2006-10-05, 16:13   Link #35
BakuDan
Let's count up your sins!

Quote:
Well, what can I say... the show really-really... REALLY wants to be the next Ouran.

It fails miserably, though, because it is ugly.
Well if you look closely Perfect Girl Evolution came out at 2000 while Ouran Host Club came out at 2003 so you cant really say that its the next Ouran since both are completely different.
BakuDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 16:29   Link #36
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakuDan
Well if you look closely Perfect Girl Evolution came out at 2000 while Ouran Host Club came out at 2003 so you cant really say that its the next Ouran since both are completely different.
Oh, I am not saying that someone ripped someone off. That's just silly and smacks of of those crazy Evangelion fanboys.

I AM saying that the subject of this discussion (the anime, not the manga) is trying to capitalize on Ouran's popularity by pushing the same themes.
Old 2006-10-05, 17:02   Link #37
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki

Sure, there's a parallel between this and My Fair Lady and Pygmalion. And Shaw's play was derived from Ovid's myth of Pygmalion and Galataea. It's an interesting meme to ring the changes on.

This show was probably planned well before Ouran became a hit, and the manga of this came first. I'm sure the producers would love it to be as successful as Ouran, but it's been a totally different animal from the beginning. I doubt that the same people will end up being the main fanbase for both.

I do agree with MrProphet in part: I'm still not sure that this will be as good as Nabeshin's earlier work. But I'll keep watching to find out.
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Fate/Stay Night UBW | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 17:02   Link #38
BakuDan
Let's count up your sins!

Oh I see now I get where your coming from. You are indeed correct that Yamato Nadeshiko is trying to capitalize from Ouran's success. In general most manga are made into anime anyways.
BakuDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 17:46   Link #39
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

I like it so far. Although the animation is not as good as Ouran, the humor is there. There are a few scenes I can't stop myself from laughing out loud. I just hope the jokes won't get old too fast. And it would be even better if there will be some character development in the plot.
DoReMiFaSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 01:23   Link #40
domino
デレデレ

If they were only animating this manga to ride Ouran's success, I wish they would've animated Hana-Kimi instead It's a MUCH better reverse-harem story...

But anyway, I am still crossing my fingers that the jokes don't get old. The manga was a one-trick pony: every volume was the same. Ouran stayed funny because ALL of the characters were hilarious and interesting. In this manga, though, the only character that is interesting or funny is the main girl. Everyone else is dull and just seems to be drifting along for the ride...
domino is offline   Reply With Quote