AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-06-25, 17:04   Link #2001
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
And the best part? It's when you shower a tsundere with love and she does this little cute display of joy which you know she will never show anyone else. That's like gold to me. Oh, on top of it, she looked like an anime character with jet black, shoulder length hair, and huge expressive eyes. She did her impression of Kona's "Timotei" moment yesterday and oh man, I was so overjoyed I almost cried. And she now says goodbye to me every morning with a "bye-mi". Yeah you can start your hating now.
I'm simply half-laughing and half-applauding with joy that there is actually someone like that in the world. I never thought I'd hear of it.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 17:11   Link #2002
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Kagami would be devastated if Kona ever actually changed her behavior to counter Kagami's barbs. They're a comedy duo and it would wreck the bond.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 17:31   Link #2003
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Kagami would be devastated if Kona ever actually changed her behavior to counter Kagami's barbs. They're a comedy duo and it would wreck the bond.
Come to think of it...what would happen to Kona if Kagami suddenly breaks off and joins the "popular group"? Tsukasa follows Kagami, and Miyuki basically doesn't hang out with her much to begin with.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 17:40   Link #2004
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: bleeghhh
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Oh I don't mean to brag but describing my wife will bring much hatred from the most of Otaku-dom. Let's start with the Tsun Tsun part: she's not a violent tsundere, but more a serious type like Kagami. She's very serious about the important things in life, like family, trust, love, honor, etc. She can get very passionate about defending the weak, and she always put others in front of herself. As for the dere-dere part, she''ll melt in presence of cute children or animal, she'll play with babies for hours. She's shy and grateful when you do something nice for her, and she has this precious tsundere blush. When she's in a dere mood there's really no one else you want to spend time with.

And the best part? It's when you shower a tsundere with love and she does this little cute display of joy which you know she will never show anyone else. That's like gold to me. Oh, on top of it, she looked like an anime character with jet black, shoulder length hair, and huge expressive eyes. She did her impression of Kona's "Timotei" moment yesterday and oh man, I was so overjoyed I almost cried. And she now says goodbye to me every morning with a "bye-mi". Yeah you can start your hating now.
I don't mean to sound nosy, but I love it when people talk about their wives (well, there's only really two of you now). I get massive warm fuzzies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Come to think of it...what would happen to Kona if Kagami suddenly breaks off and joins the "popular group"? Tsukasa follows Kagami, and Miyuki basically doesn't hang out with her much to begin with.
I don't see that ever happening, but if Kagami did leave... I imagine Kona would miss having someone to mess with. I think she'd be OK because she's so used to having no RL friends, but I just can't see how anyone could really stand to lose a friend like Kagami.
__________________
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 17:40   Link #2005
nanafan
horo fan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: missouri, usa
Age: 30
thanks for the definition kagami definitely fits as a tsundere lol
__________________

All my little plans and schemes, lost like some forgotten dreams, seems like all i really was doing was waiting for you..-Real Love
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 18:06   Link #2006
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
I don't see that ever happening, but if Kagami did leave... I imagine Kona would miss having someone to mess with. I think she'd be OK because she's so used to having no RL friends, but I just can't see how anyone could really stand to lose a friend like Kagami.
I think Kona would just shrug and spend more time doing arubaito in the cosplay cafe and spend more time online saving the world with nanako-sensei.
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 21:18   Link #2007
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Oh I don't mean to brag but describing my wife will bring much hatred from the most of Otaku-dom. Let's start with the Tsun Tsun part: she's not a violent tsundere, but more a serious type like Kagami. She's very serious about the important things in life, like family, trust, love, honor, etc. She can get very passionate about defending the weak, and she always put others in front of herself. As for the dere-dere part, she''ll melt in presence of cute children or animal, she'll play with babies for hours. She's shy and grateful when you do something nice for her, and she has this precious tsundere blush. When she's in a dere mood there's really no one else you want to spend time with.

And the best part? It's when you shower a tsundere with love and she does this little cute display of joy which you know she will never show anyone else. That's like gold to me. Oh, on top of it, she looked like an anime character with jet black, shoulder length hair, and huge expressive eyes. She did her impression of Kona's "Timotei" moment yesterday and oh man, I was so overjoyed I almost cried. And she now says goodbye to me every morning with a "bye-mi". Yeah you can start your hating now.
lol your wife should see this... probably will bring a smile to her face
kingsky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 21:50   Link #2008
robertness
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: A command bunker in an undisclosed location
The key moment in the quartet's formation has to be Konata and Tsukasa's encounter with the hapless foreigner before the start of the school year. (Which, to digress a moment, always makes me think of some geeky exchange student lying beaten on the pavement and muttering, "Man, I love this country...") It seems to me that Kagami started hanging out with Konata to protect Tsukasa from the strange otaku girl. It's also interesting that Kagami chose to transfer to Nanako's home room to spend more time with Tsukasa and Konata.

Still don't know why the others hang out with Miyuki. Miyuki's rich family probably intimidates guys more than any other factor.
__________________
"Do or do not. There is no fixin' to do." -- Yoda's visit to West Virginia
Thanks to Risaa for the avatar!

Last edited by robertness; 2007-06-25 at 21:51. Reason: Can't use "hapless" twice in one paragraph...
robertness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 22:09   Link #2009
CrowKenobi
Est. MMV
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertness View Post
(Which, to digress a moment, always makes me think of some geeky exchange student lying beaten on the pavement and muttering, "Man, I love this country...")
And of course, the geeky exchange student will say this like Yakov Smirnoff...

__________________



CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 22:15   Link #2010
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: State of Denial
Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertness View Post
The key moment in the quartet's formation has to be Konata and Tsukasa's encounter with the hapless foreigner before the start of the school year. (Which, to digress a moment, always makes me think of some geeky exchange student lying beaten on the pavement and muttering, "Man, I love this country...") It seems to me that Kagami started hanging out with Konata to protect Tsukasa from the strange otaku girl. It's also interesting that Kagami chose to transfer to Nanako's home room to spend more time with Tsukasa and Konata.

Still don't know why the others hang out with Miyuki. Miyuki's rich family probably intimidates guys more than any other factor.
According to notes in the first few chapters of the comic, Kagami got to know Konata through Tsukasa (who herself got to know Konata thanks to her... tolerance as a kind person). The girls know Miyuki because she and Kagami are friends, since they're both class representatives in their first year.

One thing that I don't think is made too apparent, but is clear if you pay attention, is that the girls are really just getting to know each other in the early stories. I'm guessing those four are all just types that tend to flock together since they don't naturally mesh with any other particular groups (since Konata's an otaku, Tsukasa's nice-but-slow, Kagami is, uh, herself, and Miyuki is too smart and refined for most people's tastes), or perhaps they just formed a slight bond being the first "group" they encountered in their new school.

I really think that's overthinking things, though.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 22:54   Link #2011
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Tsunderes have the best personality IMHO... They're caring, loyal, self-sufficient, and loving without melodrama. A tsundere as a friend is a friend forever. I love trunderes so much I went out looking for one and married her. Normally guys are scared of tsunderes but they're really too dumb to know what they're missing. They all go for the cute, dumb type they can easily bed. What a shame.
I have a tsundere as a younger cousin, and many of my female friends in my schooling days also display the tsundere aesthetic as well. So what I can say about them is....yeah, they're amongst the most fun people to be around, but they're also stressful as hell. I personally haven't got the stamina to be around them 24/7, but they're fine in regulated doses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
According to notes in the first few chapters of the comic, Kagami got to know Konata through Tsukasa (who herself got to know Konata thanks to her... tolerance as a kind person). The girls know Miyuki because she and Kagami are friends, since they're both class representatives in their first year.

One thing that I don't think is made too apparent, but is clear if you pay attention, is that the girls are really just getting to know each other in the early stories. I'm guessing those four are all just types that tend to flock together since they don't naturally mesh with any other particular groups (since Konata's an otaku, Tsukasa's nice-but-slow, Kagami is, uh, herself, and Miyuki is too smart and refined for most people's tastes), or perhaps they just formed a slight bond being the first "group" they encountered in their new school.

I really think that's overthinking things, though.
Personally, I'm questioning Miyuki's presence in the group; she just doesn't give me the feel of being actually "part of the group", and rather just a bit more involved with them than the regular guy in the classroom. Kinda like, to give an example, maybe Tsuruya-san in relation to the SOS-dan; almost part of the group, but not quite, perhaps of her own volition. Tsukasa too seems to be on the fringe; if not for Kagami, I don't think she'll stick around with Kona-chan as long as she has. She's a born follower, after all, and Kona-chan isn't exactly leadership material.

The "real clique", as I see it, is Kona-chan and Kagami-sama. Mostly because Kagami finds Kona so darned interesting, if you get what I mean.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 23:07   Link #2012
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
According to notes in the first few chapters of the comic, Kagami got to know Konata through Tsukasa (who herself got to know Konata thanks to her... tolerance as a kind person). The girls know Miyuki because she and Kagami are friends, since they're both class representatives in their first year.

One thing that I don't think is made too apparent, but is clear if you pay attention, is that the girls are really just getting to know each other in the early stories. I'm guessing those four are all just types that tend to flock together since they don't naturally mesh with any other particular groups (since Konata's an otaku, Tsukasa's nice-but-slow, Kagami is, uh, herself, and Miyuki is too smart and refined for most people's tastes), or perhaps they just formed a slight bond being the first "group" they encountered in their new school.

I really think that's overthinking things, though.
Aye... this is their first year at high school and they don't know much about each other. At the time of episode 12 anime, they've known each other since April (school year beginning) and now its been about 9 months.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 23:33   Link #2013
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: State of Denial
Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye... this is their first year at high school and they don't know much about each other. At the time of episode 12 anime, they've known each other since April (school year beginning) and now its been about 9 months.
Some of Konata's crazier comments really seemed to define the early strips as "getting to know one another" moments, but are placed later in the anime, where they just seem accentuate how weird Konata is.

I'm curious to see if, in doing so, the anime changed the "flow" or dynamics of the character relationships or portrayals, or if the manga just continued in exactly the same manner. Since I don't have the originals or the time to curl up with a kanji dictionary even if I did, I'm waiting on the scanlations to be able to find out.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 23:33   Link #2014
nanafan
horo fan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: missouri, usa
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
According to notes in the first few chapters of the comic, Kagami got to know Konata through Tsukasa (who herself got to know Konata thanks to her... tolerance as a kind person). The girls know Miyuki because she and Kagami are friends, since they're both class representatives in their first year.

One thing that I don't think is made too apparent, but is clear if you pay attention, is that the girls are really just getting to know each other in the early stories. I'm guessing those four are all just types that tend to flock together since they don't naturally mesh with any other particular groups (since Konata's an otaku, Tsukasa's nice-but-slow, Kagami is, uh, herself, and Miyuki is too smart and refined for most people's tastes), or perhaps they just formed a slight bond being the first "group" they encountered in their new school.

I really think that's overthinking things, though.
well that helps out a lot thanks for the info
__________________

All my little plans and schemes, lost like some forgotten dreams, seems like all i really was doing was waiting for you..-Real Love
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 03:34   Link #2015
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hawaii
Age: 27
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...pecial-edition

Not too surprised to see this, Lucky Star seems to have captured all of the Otaku's hearts since Haruhi was introduced last year...
__________________
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 07:59   Link #2016
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Netherlands
will find myself a wife who can do the timotei thing and says bye-mi
__________________
sth with tree logs and romance
outcast_within is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 15:38   Link #2017
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quick Fun Test:

View Katsukabe Kyoei HS from live.com:

http://maps.live.com/?v=2&cid=73F11F...!112&encType=1

Can you guys see it? I'll add more points of Lucky Star Interest later. Live.com has much better Japan support than google earth so that's why I was looking for it there. Boy it took me a while... if you know how difficult to find a place in Japan you'll understand...

Note: click on "Arial" to view the actual sat photo of the school and the sports fields where the Sports Festival is held.

EDIT: no wonder they'd show Konata dancing in a rice patty... the school is surrounded by rice patties. It's really on the outskirt of a small-ish city. They have to walk a lot to get to school from clostest JR stations.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-06-27 at 15:51.
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 12:26   Link #2018
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
According to notes in the first few chapters of the comic, Kagami got to know Konata through Tsukasa (who herself got to know Konata thanks to her... tolerance as a kind person). The girls know Miyuki because she and Kagami are friends, since they're both class representatives in their first year.

One thing that I don't think is made too apparent, but is clear if you pay attention, is that the girls are really just getting to know each other in the early stories. I'm guessing those four are all just types that tend to flock together since they don't naturally mesh with any other particular groups (since Konata's an otaku, Tsukasa's nice-but-slow, Kagami is, uh, herself, and Miyuki is too smart and refined for most people's tastes), or perhaps they just formed a slight bond being the first "group" they encountered in their new school.

I really think that's overthinking things, though.
Pretty much what I wanted to say. A chance meeting triggered by beating up a hapless "gaijin" (poor guy, lol) who was only asking Tsukasa-chan for direction was the link Kona-chan needed to begin her friendship with the other three.

Mostly the Hiiragi sisters, as you've said it, Kagami only became acquainted with Miyuki only because they're class reps of their respective classes, and that's reflected in the amount of screen time Miyuki has compared to the other three girls.

Halfway through the anime so far and only three other adult characters (Kona's dad, Nanako-sensei and Yui-nee) have any significant screentime apart from the four main girls. (Kagami-sama's classmates Misao and Ayano only have a few seconds so far. )

Once Yui-nee's little sister Yutaka enrolls in their school along with Miyuki's sister Minami would things become exciting.


Another interesting trivia to talk about: Browsing through Lucky Star's Japanese wikipedia entry reveals that Lucky Star has an insanely high proportion of left-handed characters, while right-handed characters are reduced to a minority. (Kona-chan and her dad are both ambidextrous. )

As a left-hander, sometimes out of boredom, I would always try to seek out fellow lefties, whether in a classroom or a restaurants, usually I would find nothing, chances of seeing so many lefties in the same room are almost nil. So I envy Kona-chan and her group. I have a feeling Yoshimizu Kagami himself is a leftie as well, and is either unconsciously drawing everyone as lefties, or trying to fulfill a wish to live amongst many fellow lefties.
__________________
哀莫大於心死。
我對這裡的管理員的霸道與毫無準則的執法行為感到徹底失望﹗

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 13:13   Link #2019
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Another interesting trivia to talk about: Browsing through Lucky Star's Japanese wikipedia entry reveals that Lucky Star has an insanely high proportion of left-handed characters, while right-handed characters are reduced to a minority. (Kona-chan and her dad are both ambidextrous. )

As a left-hander, sometimes out of boredom, I would always try to seek out fellow lefties, whether in a classroom or a restaurants, usually I would find nothing, chances of seeing so many lefties in the same room are almost nil. So I envy Kona-chan and her group. I have a feeling Yoshimizu Kagami himself is a leftie as well, and is either unconsciously drawing everyone as lefties, or trying to fulfill a wish to live amongst many fellow lefties.
Back in the old times in Asia (well...I speak for the Chinese), left-handedness is very much frowned upon, and parents would force their children to adopt the right hand as their dominant hand. My uncle was born a leftie, and my grandmother beat him into using his right hand. He is now practically ambidextrous.

Modern society's not that conservative anymore, thankfully.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 14:24   Link #2020
macbrown
Captain Canuck
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Back in the old times in Asia (well...I speak for the Chinese), left-handedness is very much frowned upon, and parents would force their children to adopt the right hand as their dominant hand. My uncle was born a leftie, and my grandmother beat him into using his right hand. He is now practically ambidextrous.

Modern society's not that conservative anymore, thankfully.


This reminds me of Elbonia.


I wonder though,why exactly IS that? What reason did they have for hating on the lefties?
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=44872&dateline=117925  5671
macbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, kyoto animation, moe, otaku, school life, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.