AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-04-08, 12:57   Link #481
Julius Firefocht
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
The opening was just wow. I have to wait for the subs to make my own judgement on the rest of the episode though.
__________________
In the eternal service of Her Most Holy God-Empress, Suzumiya Haruhi and Primarch Fate Testarossa Harlaown of the Blood Angels Legion.
~~~~~
We are armored by the Empress Herself.
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Julius Firefocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 13:04   Link #482
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
According to that Random Curiosity blogs comment section done by the readers, because a) The opening had Aya Hirano b)As long as its Kyoani good or bad we HAVE to watch this and c)If the openings catchy and cute, then nothing else matters then d) Kyoto Animation claims a total victory for the year. If that's the case than these are the Key ingredients to a successful anime. The fanbase has spoken, take notes other studios as its time to play catchup and to rename your studio.

In fact you can cast away all that other unnecessary stuff as well because its not important. In fact get rid of the show itself, keep the opening and choregraph a catchy dance sequence that looks like the one from Haruhi, and have Aya Hirano sing it, and name your Studio Kyoto Animation and you should have the show of the year. Oh I love making fun of the more "interesting" anime fans sometimes (they make it far too easy though).

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-08 at 16:41. Reason: Clarifying whose talking in the blog.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 13:05   Link #483
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Okay. I'll out myself as a heretic, prepared to be tarred and feathered, but I want to be honest: If this show hadn't been animated by KyoAni, I doubt it would have had any impact at all. It would have been one of many.

Lots of 4-koma style humor, but was it so funny? Without translations - no. And I've been talking to 3 independent translators now, where noone was impressed.

What remains is a catchy OP. But if you're hoping for another KyoAni masterpiece, I'd recommend to lower the expectations back to realistic levels, quickly.
It's important to remember that we still have 4 main characters (and multiple side-characters) to become acquainted with. They might be able to get away with it in the case of Fumoffu?/TSR, as those had an entire 24-episode series before, but for Lucky Star, nobody really knows anything about what's going to unfold, and we need some insight into the characters' personalities.

What I'm trying to say is, pay close attention. AIR's first episode was introductions. Kanon's first episode was introductions. Haruhi's first episode was also introductions - although in a far more... "unique" way.

You shouldn't expect gut-bustingly funny humour from the first episode, because even if it is a 4koma, the series would be far less enjoyable if we didn't get to know the characters first. That's the general purpose first episodes serve, and probably why there was no ED either.

In any case, the OP's addictive.

Edit: Ahh, I see our resident Kaio-chin has woken up.
__________________
Thanks to Nani for the scan!
Sai the Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 13:10   Link #484
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
For those who understand japanese; around 15:45 and 15:55, was that a physical? And Konata and Miyuki came out with those faces because of the obvious, er, size difference?
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 13:12   Link #485
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai the Dreamer View Post
It's important to remember that we still have 4 main characters (and multiple side-characters) to become acquainted with. They might be able to get away with it in the case of Fumoffu?/TSR, as those had an entire 24-episode series before, but for Lucky Star, nobody really knows anything about what's going to unfold, and we need some insight into the characters' personalities.

What I'm trying to say is, pay close attention. AIR's first episode was introductions. Kanon's first episode was introductions. Haruhi's first episode was also introductions - although in a far more... "unique" way.

You shouldn't expect gut-bustingly funny humour from the first episode, because even if it is a 4koma, the series would be far less enjoyable if we didn't get to know the characters first. That's the general purpose first episodes serve, and probably why there was no ED either.

In any case, the OP's addictive.
When dealing with 4Koma the characters personalities usually aren't as important as setting up the punchline. Usually their reactions can be altered slightly from the norm in a case where its necessary for the punchline to have its intended effect. I don't really know if anybody will have stable set personalities so I would expect them to flucuate around a certain area for each character.

@7th: The people here are very very down to earth compared what you find on the blogs, read my post on the RC Blog just above this post to get an idea on how other people find reasons why Kyoto Animation always wins the anime competition. Ignore them, their reasoning makes no sense. I learned too. Just pay attention to people like Vexx, Ascaloth, Wanderingknight, Skane, Kaoru Chuujo, and most of the other people here (W-General aside I suppose, as he's probably in Banzai mode as we speak), as they will never lie to you or to themselves like people who comment on blogs and 2/4Chan. I think I'm going to enjoy this show, but I'm definitely no huge fan of Kyoto Animations past works.

@Sai: No. I just like to make fun of blog posts that are EXTREME and TO THE MAX when dealing with peoples favourite studios. Read any blog where Kyoto Animation or Aya Hirano is even mentioned and you'll see the same thing. It's like a concert really, you have your blogger giving the performance and showing the goods and then you have a mosh pit of sorts in the comments.

Holy crap she beat the crap out of Guile (Foreigner) now that I look. Anyone want to check out my new Urban Dictionary definition I think it applies here too.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-08 at 13:29.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 13:17   Link #486
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai the Dreamer View Post
(and multiple side-characters)

I wanna see Nanako Kuroi =(
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 13:30   Link #487
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I agree with one positive poster there who said that if you don't like this kind of humor in the comic, you won't like it in the show. I should correct that a bit: I like it better in the anime than I have so far in the comic. The voices bring it life.
I didn't like the manga all that much, but I am still hopeful that I will be able to enjoy the anime.

Guess I should watch the intro while the sub shows up.
__________________

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2007-04-08 at 14:38.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 13:42   Link #488
dkellis
illusion control
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 32
Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
This is a school days comedy about nothing in particular filled with cute girls and bright colours and with KyoAni-level animation.

I am in complete, utter love. There is nothing more that I can ever want.

(Yes, I'm easily satisfied.)
__________________
Damien Kellis (LJ)(anime blog)
The Genderswap Archive Of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Seitenkan FAQ of Haruhi Suzumiya
"That was actually quite thought-provoking. Does that violate the forum rules?"
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 13:50   Link #489
Eclipze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore
Ok, having watched through all the youtube links that was posted, heres what I think is being defined as Sakuga-type quality by 7Th:

Kinetic/realistic animation.

When a person is moving, does his clothes move as well? Is the movement realistic?
When there is a strong gust of wind, does the hair/cloths move at a realistic speed?
Are the drawings accurate in the shown perspective? (top view, side view, from bottom - 25 degrees in angle etc)
When a person throw a piece of rock against/into a:
1) Wall, can small "grains" of sand/dirt be seen falling from the point of contact as a sigh of friction?
2) Pond, does the water "ripple" at a realistic speed? Does the ripple look realistic in comparision to the speed/size of the rock and the overall impact that is supposed to have been caused by the throw?
3) Someone's clothed body, are the clothes affected the same way that it would have been in real life?
Is the character's face in proportion to the original model when he wears a different expression?
1) When a person closes his eyes, is what's seen just a line or are details such as the eye lashes shown? During the closing of the eyes, is it just an instantanious switch of frame- [eyes opened] to frame- [eyes closed] or is there sufficient animation to show the action/change?
2) When a relatively strong wind is blowing against a character's hair/fur, do the mentioned parts move in a plastic loop of frames or is each frame of hair movement different/random? (realistic movement?)
When a character speaks, does his/her chin move as well?

Thats all I can think of for now. Do note that I might be entirely wrong on the matter, but I do believe the qualities that 7Th is talking about can be seen in series such as Noein, Eureka seveN, and to a lesser extend, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha:
Spoiler for for Nanoha:

The Eureka seveN and Nanoha scenes were shown in the youtube vids that was posted, so take a look to see what I mean. Also, the way the camera moves is also part of the kinetic animations I believe, though I only see that in the Nanoha scene.

And to stay on topic...um...I hope the song will be catchy enough for me to remember?
__________________
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:03   Link #490
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
I'm gonna wait till someone sub this before i judge it's humor.

As for animation, while i enjoyed KyoAni's recent animation work, you shouldn't expect anything impressive from this series. But the little motion animation that you see from episode 1 are pretty well done despite the simplistic 4koma character design.

Other than that, Konata's otaku antic are pretty funny. Anyway, there's lots of talking head scene and punchline humor so i can't comment much on this anime yet.
__________________
Jazzrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:06   Link #491
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
OK, watched the intro, I think I am gonna need a little bit of time to get used to the music in it.

I liked all the dancing the girls do though.



Was suddenly reminded of YUA after seeing this.

Oh, and Riker posted this in the Haruhi image section. I guess it kinda fits in here as well.

__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:08   Link #492
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Yes, and it's Konata singing Uchuu Tetsujin Kyodain wwww
So.... they going to randomly (karaoke style) sing a different song every week?
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:09   Link #493
FireChick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
I'll watch Lucky Star! I've never seen the 4-koma but I will like it! My reason is that the characters are REALLY cute!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:18   Link #494
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
So.... they going to randomly (karaoke style) sing a different song every week?
That'd great, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:22   Link #495
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ithaca, NY, USA // Taichung, Taiwan
Age: 28
Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
I wasn't paying much attention to this thread until I saw my name.

I guess I am in banzai mode, sort of. What I saw in the first episode wasn't a huge wow I thought. But then again I wasn't wowed when I saw episode 0 of Haruhi (and it took me a while to realize what was actually going on after I saw episode 0).

I thought episode 1 of this looks like they were trying to stick to the style of the original work, and that is fine by me. When I was watching this thing it felt a bit like watching Azumanga - duh, because they're both 4-koma. I think as the episodes move on, there will come a time when this start to amaze me.

Nevertheless, based on track record, I still think Kyo Ani's the best and I don't see otherwise. They've always managed to impress me and I believe they will continue to do so one way or another. It's not "anything kyo ani makes is automatically godly." It's more about "anything kyo ani makes always somehow live up to my expectations."
__________________
W-General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:46   Link #496
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
This koma series is almost totally "talking head" style (whereas Azumanga Daioh's koma had much more movement and physical humor).
I'm interested in seeing what KyoAni does with a source that relies mostly on facial expressions and verbal humor -- and how they translate it to a visual action medium.

If anyone has been watching Hidamari Sketch, the "acid trip I have a fever" episode (5) has very little movement. It works for that ep but 12 episodes of that might be a bit much. I can't see an entire season of "talking heads" so KyoAni will have to introduce individualistic ways that LuckyStar characters animate themselves through their world.

As far as "1st ep" wow... shows that are character driven -- I just don't expect a lot to happen in the first few episodes -- very common to both U.K. and European series as well.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:49   Link #497
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
I've only read the scanlation of the three first chapters just when the anime was announced.
I've liked what I've read, I did smile, I did laugh (especially the Konata's explanation for why she did not joined a sport club).
My only regret is that I could not get more translated chapters (the thing was already licensed) so, sadly, I could not see Nanako Kuroi.
Therefore, I am waiting to see when Nanako will appear.

From the scanlated chapters I could read, Konata stuck to me as a favorite.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:52   Link #498
Omniscient
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
According to that Random Curiosity blog because a) The opening had Aya Hirano b)As long as its Kyoani good or bad we HAVE to watch this and c)If the openings catchy and cute, then nothing else matters then d) Kyoto Animation claims a total victory for the year. If that's the case than these are the Key ingredients to a successful anime. The fanbase has spoken, take notes other studios as its time to play catchup and to rename your studio.

In fact you can cast away all that other unnecessary stuff as well because its not important. In fact get rid of the show itself, keep the opening and choregraph a catchy dance sequence that looks like the one from Haruhi, and have Aya Hirano sing it, and name your Studio Kyoto Animation and you should have the show of the year. Oh I love making fun of the more "interesting" anime fans sometimes (they make it far too easy though).
Jaalin and I have differing viewpoints about this show (he likes it much more than me), but I don't see either of us saying what you claim we said.
__________________
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:53   Link #499
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ithaca, NY, USA // Taichung, Taiwan
Age: 28
Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
I forgot to mention that I loved the opening. very energetic, and that's a good sign. It gave me a similar 'feel' of energy when I first saw the Haruhi opening.
__________________
W-General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 15:01   Link #500
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
Jaalin and I have differing viewpoints about this show (he likes it much more than me), but I don't see either of us saying what you claim we said.
Look in the comments section made by readers and you'll see it. It's because you didn't say it at all that you didn't say it.

@W-General: I'm kind of the same way with Sunrise and Bones actually, when it comes to trust. The reason being they do stuff I like and do it well, while Kyoto does stuff I'm maybe passively interested in that I don't care for them as much.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, kyoto animation, moe, otaku, school life, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.