AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-17, 12:14   Link #1261
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Negima parody of Lucky Star:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-17, 12:16   Link #1262
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
^ I really have no idea if what you said has any connection with the gundam dancing video the person you quoted from was talking about, lol. XD

In anycase, loved the gundam video. Most especially during the chorus, where's there's a whole bunch of them. Looks really nice, if I do say so myself, especially when all 16(?) mechas kicked in the air together.

My only criticism is that the main girls were representive differently from each other. They could've used different gundam models at least for each of the main characters, no?
HHY One=Hare Hare Yukai one. Does anybody notice this? Normally Konata's hair goes down to about her knee, but in the cheerleading sequence in the opening its so long its practically touching the ground (Much hotter). Apparentely the GP-02A Physallis is representative of the night sky as well. There are other units in the opening such as a Dom and the Gundam, but I guess they chose to use the GM Command for all the girls. I don't know if it was just the closest thing he could fin to a school girl.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 12:19   Link #1263
cmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
HHY One=Hare Hare Yukai one. Does anybody notice this? Normally Konata's hair goes down to about her knee, but in the cheerleading sequence in the opening its so long its practically touching the ground (Much hotter). Apparentely the GP-02A Physallis is representative of the night sky as well. There are other units in the opening such as a Dom and the Gundam, but I guess they chose to use the GM Command for all the girls. I don't know if it was just the closest thing he could fin to a school girl.
I figured they used the same model for the girls 'cause they're all in uniform. Maybe they ran out of models to use?
cmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 12:21   Link #1264
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Never got that whole "Win" idea. If something wins doesn't that mean all other instances of that thing lose. If something wins that means there also needs to be a competition
Not nessecelery. You can have a win-win situation.
As for the second point, you’re walking down the street and you find a coin. It feels like you just won something. The fact that you didn’t even have to enter a competition is an extra bonus. When people talk about a win, I think they mean that feeling: something good happened without them having to work to get, they didn’t even have to go looking for it, it just happened like someone giving you a prize.
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 12:22   Link #1265
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Never got that whole "Win" idea. If something wins doesn't that mean all other instances of that thing lose. If something wins that means there also needs to be a competition, but is there really a competition? Who lost then? Does that mean all the other things that won before with Lucky Star now lose? Hmmmmmm..... these thoughts have been brought to you by the confused philosopher. (That's me by the way).
An alternate, more specific permutation of the saying is to say that something is "made of win", which is what is implied by saying that something "is win". That is, to say, it has the properties which could potentially make it a winner. In what competition? Well, much like saying "For The Win", it is ambiguous, but it is an acceptable ambiguity, I think.

Like Vexx, I use it with a hint of irony, but the more common use of it doesn't bug me. It's much like saying something is "cool".

I personally like to say "made of win and candy."

On to the more relevant topic of character development in 4koma... who's to say it can't happen? It's certainly true that it doesn't TEND to happen, but it can. American comic strips have the same issues: Beetle Bailey hasn't really had character development, and many think it's stagnated. Then again, some comic strips DO have character development, but the risk is becoming too dramatic and turning into Funky Winkerbean, and nobody wants that. Garfield hit rock bottom in its decades without change, and now it's trying to change things slowly and subtly--which it used to do when it was still fresh.

In 4koma, slow and subtle character development seems to be the case in the best examples we have. Take, for example (you know what's coming), Azumanga Daioh. Subtle is definitely the key word there. We don't notice how the characters change so much as we notice the events that will change them and the changes in their relationships. Tomo is still Tomo and Osaka is still Osaka, but who's annoying who by the end? Chiyo is still cute child prodigy, but she goes from being the novelty to the heart of the group, supporting every one.

What of character development in Lucky Star? I don't know, since I haven't read very far in the manga. It doesn't seem to be setting itself up for the opportunity, but considering how much has yet to be shown, I think that could change.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 12:42   Link #1266
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
Are the whole Lucky☆gang left-handed?
Nice catch there!

A quick review of ep.2 reveals that in one scene Kona-chan is eating right handed, and Tsukasa’s dad eats right handed but all his daughters are eating left handed as well as writing left handed. The sensei is also left-handed. Classmates in the background are right handed. The handedness of the main charas is pretty consistent including using left hand to point etc., except with Kona-chan who as someone noted seems to be ambidextrous.

My first thought is that one of the animators may have been using themself as a model, looking in a mirror to get the hands right, and forgot to reverse the results. This is very tempting when you’re drawing a person who is drawing or writing since your own hands are already in the right pose and you can just copy them, I’ve certainly done this myself. The fact that only some of the characters are like this doesn’t really say anything either way since several artists are probably working on the scenes, especially the foreground and background characrters are likely to be different, I imagine some lead person is going to be doing keyframes for the main characters but leaving the minor characters (blue-tinted classmates) to someone else. It will be interesting to see if the handedness continues or becomes a plot point. (Even if it is a slip-up I imagine that once noticed they’d probably stick to it, as a little win)

Edit: I just wanted to add that I wouldn’t normally see the depiction of left-handedness noteworthy but the fact that Japan has a history of suppressing lefthandedness makes an anime full of left-handed characters something of a curiosity.

Last edited by Samatarou; 2007-04-17 at 13:47.
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 14:14   Link #1267
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_passerby View Post
Damn man, you bringin' us to philosophy 101 or somethin'?

My mere 2 cents.
Actually, you *have* wandered into philosophy 101 or some esoteric wonderland. Some of these forums carry on conversations with a substantially diverse level of complexity and banter
(refers to The Ontology of Suzumiya Haruhi thread for a poster-child example)
Old 2007-04-17, 14:57   Link #1268
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Pachi Pachi Pachi.

I used this avatar, screaming moeness from every side, for a couple of days because it was funny, but I can't betray my Matsuri after all

First come, first served - if anyone interested.

So far I only watched the subbed part of Lucky Channel (priceless) for episode 2, but I surfed through the entire episode and on the whole it looks better than the first, because there's more "movement", it's no more a blah-blah-blah in the classroom as most of episode 1, but the characters actually do something this time.
I guess this is the direction for the show, and nevertheless, once that the new characters will be introduced, it will be even more interesting. I'm particularly looking forward to Patricia Martin's debut, since she's voiced by what I deem to be the moeest voice I've ever heard, Sasaki Nozomi.
Old 2007-04-17, 15:51   Link #1269
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah.. I almost died from the cuteness factor when bipolar Akira clapped.

must stay focused on Konata-chan (with the hair and stature she's basically a caricature of She Who Must Be Obeyed in my home.... though Kona is a lot calmer... my wife takes after much noisier archetypes; personality-wise she's much closer to Kagami)
Old 2007-04-17, 16:05   Link #1270
bloodmoon0011

Omg.

A friend of mine just showed me this series today... Lemme guess, this series is so new that there isn't even a full version of the opening yet? Dammit I need it, lol. It's just so... Catchy. Anyway, anyone know when the full version will be released?
bloodmoon0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 16:24   Link #1271
cmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmoon0011 View Post
A friend of mine just showed me this series today... Lemme guess, this series is so new that there isn't even a full version of the opening yet? Dammit I need it, lol. It's just so... Catchy. Anyway, anyone know when the full version will be released?
Should be out May 23rd. Until then I'll just have to loop it.
Old 2007-04-17, 16:38   Link #1272
Meophist
Tell me who I am.

It really looks like I'm the only person who doesn't like the Lucky Channel portion of the show. Love the rest though.
Meophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 16:44   Link #1273
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well, i liked ep2 better than the 1st one. It had more... stuff... happening and felt more alive. I hope this keeps up. Though i think they could do without the lucky channel - while the one in ep1 was somewhat funny, this time around it bored me.
Old 2007-04-17, 16:47   Link #1274
cmage

I don't like Lucky Channel as much as the rest, but granted I've only seen the first episode. Just seems unconnected, and I don't love the moe within it or find it especially hilarious.
Old 2007-04-17, 17:03   Link #1275
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
and ep 2 keeps the ball rolling
its great to see the random cracks and quite amazing how it doesnt get old at all XD when kona made her "laughing face" it was pretty normal but the way the other expressed it gave a great impact on how the viewers will interprate it...and on that note i think the way Tsukasa struggled to manage her study time table was spot on with reality (for me anyways )

and seeing kagami wasting money...lawl XD

edit: oh and that sia poster...nice one! :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 17:09   Link #1276
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Watching Tsukasa vs Kagami in the study arena.. pretty much describes my wife and I in our college days (she being Kagami and me being well-meaning but doomed by ADD)... you'd have to add a splash of Kona to mine though as I'd usually just wing a test by the skin of my teeth and pull through.
Old 2007-04-17, 17:11   Link #1277
Meophist
Tell me who I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Watching Tsukasa vs Kagami in the study arena.. pretty much describes my wife and I in our college days (she being Kagami and me being well-meaning but doomed by ADD)... you'd have to add a splash of Kona to mine though as I'd usually just wing a test by the skin of my teeth and pull through.
Sounds like me.
Meophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 17:26   Link #1278
Anime Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
when kona made her "laughing face" it was pretty normal but the way the other expressed it gave a great impact on how the viewers will interprate it.

I don't think it was shown to the viewers what face Konata made, because if you are referring to this one

then Konata had already made it while announcing the game

Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 17:50   Link #1279
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Geez this show is random, but in a strangely normal way which is abit of a feat. I mean its pretty easy to do a pani-poni thing and throw out aliens or some such and produce moments, but so far its all been within a slightly normal context lol.

Lucky channel is the funniest part of the show for me still though...Bi-polar never looked so adorable.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 17:57   Link #1280
krln99

Judging from the intro, it looks like they'll eventually introduce the "junior" (kouhai) class to the series, which has Konata's cousin (who pretty much functions as her little sister, since they live together), Yutaka - the really little girl with short red hair, and Minami - the girl with green hair, and Hiyori - the girl with glasses and long black/brown hair.
krln99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, kyoto animation, moe, otaku, school life, seinen