AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-30, 23:36   Link #1741
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Next week, on Lucky*Star:

Spoiler:

Is that what you really want?
I need to make a comic out of that. XD
Old 2007-04-30, 23:37   Link #1742
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

Spoiler:

At which point Kona equips a Cleaver, Kagami gets a gun and Miyuki gets a Baseball bat and they all go at it Watanagashi style. And it's all like "URG" HRNH" *Smash* "AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!" and nobody is left standing. Lucky Star then ends 18 episodes early.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 23:38   Link #1743
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZZY View Post
I hope this is the right place to ask, I would have made a new thread but that seems to be limited to the admins and mods, but how do the different fansubbers match up in terms of translation?
As good as any place I guess
LC is fast (so their error rate is a bit higher and they run on the literal side and might miss a few puns) ... they've been improving though. Their technical skills were beginner at first but they've been improving there as well. Its really great when they produce a really small release file.

a.f.k. -- very good technically though I'm not fond of the pink font against the pink/purple palette that permeates L*S. Their translation is very good... though though my personal view is that they overwesternize at times. They've reworked a few lines of dialog to account for the difficulty in translating wordplay or jokes (rather than use footnotes). They seem to be the most popular.

Eien no Anime -- at the moment, they're my favorite in font/color choices. Their translation of the first two episodes is also my favorite because they've managed to keep most of the meaning without sounding unnatural or requiring footnotes. They're running a bit slow as they seem to be re-organizing their web presence (only two eps done so far).

I re-assess every few episodes and obviously the preceding was just my personal view at the moment.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-05-01 at 00:04.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 00:02   Link #1744
Shana
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Shana
Quote:

Spoiler:

I want this, I want this, I want... Yuri in L*S? .
Shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 00:06   Link #1745
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

You know, it makes me wonder...Do any of those girls even have male friends? I mean, if it's an all-girls school, I can say nothing, but for a coed-school, I kinda wish there are more substance to the males. The parents are one thing, but male students are another.

Especially since the OP hints that it'll end up being 99.999999% female-centric.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 00:21   Link #1746
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Um..... its the way the manga is written? Its about the girls in a co-ed school? (not that they ignore the guys.... but its about the "girl's circle").
Being 'buddies' with a guy is still less common in Japan so they tend to run in separate circles to some extent (and it was *really* typical when your average manga-ka was growing up --- write what one knows)
Azumanga Daioh portrayed that sort of thing as well... the guys weren't non-existent but just ran in their own circles for the most part (and the girls moped around about not having dates).

Kona seems to have the most male acquaintenances but they're all "virtual" onliners.
Old 2007-05-01, 00:25   Link #1747
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Kona seems to have the most male acquaintenances but they're all "virtual" onliners.
LOL mochiron. I should've known. When I read Nightengale's post I thought, "of course they have male friends. Except for Kona-chan - she doesn't have any friends." I totally neglected her online buddies.
Old 2007-05-01, 00:46   Link #1748
Lucky_Day
Living Lucky Legend

I know it is already old news, but here is a link anyway.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-four-episodes

With television and with sports teams it is hard to tell who the management has running things at any given time. If the person running things is replaced too often, it makes me question the management.
Old 2007-05-01, 04:21   Link #1749
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Especially since the OP hints that it'll end up being 99.999999% female-centric.
Hrmm... Watch a bunch of teenage boys talk about stuff, or watch a bunch of cute teenage girls... I know what I'd rather do.

And anyway, we've already got Minoru. He's man enough for the show all by himself.
Old 2007-05-01, 05:50   Link #1750
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Well, I don't care about genders, so that's why. What's important is writing. While I admit it's going to be a little disappointing most males in LS will be cardboards literally, I'll take what I can. It's just a little disappointing though since I always like a contrasting dynamic of males vs females, in their train of thoughts.

Well, of course Kona has 'male' friends. But I doubt we'll ever see an episode where her MMORPG avatar interacts with other avatars, so that point's moot.

It would be total win though to see that, unless it takes itself WAY TOO SERIOUSLY like .hack.

Well, Minoru's not bad, but character interaction is important in shows like this, and Akira bores me by episode 2.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 06:16   Link #1751
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Day View Post
With television and with sports teams it is hard to tell who the management has running things at any given time. If the person running things is replaced too often, it makes me question the management.
That's what I find so strange about the notice. Golden Week or not, it's hard to believe the KyoAni IT staff wouldn't have noticed a defacement by now, so I'm starting to believe it's legit after all. But while people have commented on it being harsh for Yamamoto-san, it seems to me it's KyoAni who really lose face here. They're either saying "we screwed up" in a very public way (remember, Japanese business runs on at least the facade of collective responsibility), or they come away looking petty for airing their dirty laundry like this.

Either way, I just find it difficult to believe that they'd handle such a sensitive issue so crudely. I don't know what people are saying on 2ch, but I never got the impression that Japanese audiences were baying for blood - of course the show will have its critics, and people who wanted another SHnY were doomed to be disappointed, but were the ratings really so bad as to justify such an abrupt announcement?

Personally I've liked each successive episode more than the last. Contrary to some posters here, I think the quick-cut technique works well for 4koma humour. If anything I'd consider Lucky Channel the weakest bit, yet plenty of people love it - I guess we'll just have to wait and see how ep5 turns out...
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 09:00   Link #1752
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Either way, I just find it difficult to believe that they'd handle such a sensitive issue so crudely.
There's always the possibility of a mistranslation of the first person who read it and started to lit the powder--I think someone over here already cleared that it was a standard and non-blunt way of putting it, in Japanese. I haven't read the original Japanese announcement myself, so I'm guessing many people are being misled (by not reading it themselves). So... Everyone knows about Japanese "corporate face" policies, and thus I think it wasn't a blunt or rush way of putting it.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2007-05-01 at 19:44. Reason: God made me do it.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 11:38   Link #1753
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Agreed.... the *original* announcement seems to be much milder than some of the translations flying about that are causing much of the stir. It still was handled a bit oddly/abruptly but the wording.. well I trust kj1980's translation:

Quote:
Literal translation: "We [Kyoto Animation] decided that Director Yamamoto hasn't reached the capacity to direct yet"

Hidden overtone that I feel (of course, it could be wrong): "Director Yamamoto came to us and after a lengthy discussion he asked to be taken off the position as a director of the pressure and that he had much more to learn"

Rationale: Falling under pressure is shown as a weakness in Japanese society. Hence rather putting the blame on one person, the company takes its place and euphemizes the wording that a staff change is being made.
This way the company takes the hit for any fallout rather than just Yamamoto who can fade back and continue to hone his skills. Even if he isn't credited, it doesn't mean he won't be shadowing a more experienced senior.
Old 2007-05-01, 12:14   Link #1754
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Maybe some of the translators are just slandering the guy. Who's gonna direct now since Yamamoto is gone?
Old 2007-05-01, 12:18   Link #1755
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Maybe some of the translators are just slandering the guy. Who's gonna direct now since Yamamoto is gone?
Takemoto Yasuhiro

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-01, 12:32   Link #1756
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
My pondering on the change in directors is this:

Why have an announcement at all? Other shows have changed directors without announcing it (I don't have any examples, but feel free to do my footwork for me!), and plenty of other shows have even planned on multiple directors from the beginning.

Is it as simple as that the annoucement that he would be directing the series was major enough to warrant another announcement that he'd be stepping down, or was there some ruckus that motivated them to take the action and then state it outright?
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 13:03   Link #1757
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
My pondering on the change in directors is this:

Why have an announcement at all? Other shows have changed directors without announcing it (I don't have any examples, but feel free to do my footwork for me!), and plenty of other shows have even planned on multiple directors from the beginning.

Is it as simple as that the annoucement that he would be directing the series was major enough to warrant another announcement that he'd be stepping down, or was there some ruckus that motivated them to take the action and then state it outright?
Maybe they are trying to influence the train of thought of the viewership somehow. If it has met with Lukewarm reviews up until now, a change in director announcement might help influence the people who are waffling between enjoying the series and not really enjoying it. If that is the case (There is absolutely no evidence, just my theory) it is also gamble, because it could potentially shake the wafflers of the show entirely as well, when the humour continues to follow its 4-Koma styled course.

Honestly though, all the shows viewer problems and gripes could be solved with a beach/bikini episode or a Kagami/Konata shower scene (Maybe together?). Do that and watch the ratings beacon scream to the top.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 13:54   Link #1758
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well.. there is a very minor beach trip in the manga published to date... but 95% of the activity is Nanako (Kona's homeroom teacher) and Konata's cousin (and local cop) Yui bantering back and forth under the umbrella. Occasionally, Kona will run by to dispense some oddball comment (she's still using her middle school swimsuit since she hasn't really grown much since middle school).

So far though, the drawing in both the anime and the manga has always focused on their facial expressions more than anything else (unlike say... Yoko in Gurren Lagann where your eyes may keep darting all over her because your brain is frying). The chapter title pages usually have one or more girls in some really fashionable outfit. I'll scan a few and put them in the image thread later (I've seen a few posted but there are others).
Old 2007-05-01, 21:15   Link #1759
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Konata's cousin (and local cop) Yui
Oooh, now I know who that is. I figured she was related to Konata, it's the eyes. The little bit of her in the OP *sooo* gives me moe feeling.
Yui: What's all this now?
Me: I've been a bad monkey. Please take me back to the station and punish me...

:: coughs :: Moving right along now.
I clicked on the link for Takemoto Yasuhiro that Skane kindly provided.
Was already mentioned that he did so much FMP (WOO!)
A bit o' SHny, and of Kanon... bitchin'.
Tenchi Muyo key animation, very nice.
He even had his paws all over the Hare+Guu script? Pure comedy genius!
Nurse Witch Komugi-chan....
::blink::
::blinkblink:: (this time with Zorak's blink sound)
Ummm.....
I suddenly have this image of a middle-aged Japanese guy doing a guilty shrug, and saying, "Hey, I needed the money..."

Oh, and I noticed ANN said the old director's website has been taken down... I'm gonna put my bet on him either having gotten another job, or there being some kind of personal fallout inside the company. If it's the first we'll hear about it eventually, if the second we'll probably never know. I don't expect to see a huge difference overall anyways, although it wouldn't surprise me if ep5 gets an extra-special whizbang treatment in order to endear the show to the waffly fans out there.
Old 2007-05-01, 22:06   Link #1760
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukansa monkey View Post
~
Nurse Witch Komugi-chan....
::blink::
::blinkblink:: (this time with Zorak's blink sound)
Ummm.....
I suddenly have this image of a middle-aged Japanese guy doing a guilty shrug, and saying, "Hey, I needed the money..."
~
Hey, hey, hey! Nurse Witch Komugi-chan is a perfectly fine OVA series (the first season). I found it to be one of the more hilarious gag/parody series. The number of subversions in it is insane.

Cheers.

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, kyoto animation, moe, otaku, school life, seinen