AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-09-21, 12:33   Link #1
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
"Shounen Jumpers"

I started a new college a week ago. Surprisingly, EVERYONE in class is a fan of anime in one form or another. However:

New classmate: "You like anime?"
Me: "Yeah wow, finally I meet more anime fans!"
New classmate: "Yeah cool"
Me: "What's your favourite series"
New classmate: "Naruto"
Me: "Haha, I'm not a big fan of Naruto myself. What else do you like?"
New classmate: "Inuyasha, Bleach, Fist of the North Star, [even KIBA at one point! etc. etc."
Me: "Have you heard of Haruhi?
New classmate: "No."
Me: "Have you heard of Higurashi?"
Me: "Do you watch fansubs?"
New classmate: "What's that?"

Don't mistake this for elitism of some kind. It's fair enough if one likes Naruto. However:

Me: This is Mai Hime, if you like Naruto you might want to try this.
Them: Looks cool, but it can't be better than Naruto. And it's full of girls.

or last week, we went to forbidden planet and I grabbed a volume of Yakitate! Japan and one of them said: "Ohhh, I know what sort of anime you like!"
and another time I was looking at a Higurashi clip and someone else said: "You like girly (!) anime"

Funniest one was:

Them: So what are you watching at the moment?
Me: Welcome to NHK
Them: What's it about?
Me: It's about some guy who locks himself in his house and is afraid to go out and has social problems.
Them: So what does he do? Does he go into a magical dimension? Does he fight monsters? etc.

I've always been eager to meet anime fans because where I live they are rare, and I got my wish. Nearly everyone in the class is about anime, and there's usually a conversation about it on a regular basis. And the funny thing is, I can't contribute to it! It's weird, especially when you know something so well, and others around you are just grazing the surface (thinking the surface is the whole picture).

This is more or less more blog material than forum material. I'm not even complaining, but just an observation.

But the moral of this post is the cliche saying: Be Careful What You Wish For.

Last edited by Scribble; 2006-09-21 at 15:14.
Scribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 12:43   Link #2
LCeh

I think you are just unlucky. There are plenty people out there who are also updated with anime and watches many different series, not only the mainstream ones. I guess in your case, you just have to look for them.
LCeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 12:45   Link #3
Scribble
Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCeh
I think you are just unlucky. There are plenty people out there who are also updated with anime and watches many different series, not only the mainstream ones. I guess in your case, you just have to look for them.
Heh.
While I thought it was unlucky at first, I hope that since they have the initial interest in anime in the first place, I can introduce them to some other stuff, which is the cool thing.
Old 2006-09-21, 13:06   Link #4
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Well, I have to agree about Mai-Hime. It's worse than Naruto.
Old 2006-09-21, 13:10   Link #5
rooboy
Umeboshi!

*shrug* I have this problem both ways. On the one hand you have the mainstream-ers who are pretty much convinced that anything good comes to America, on the other you have the elitists, who are convinced that anything that is good is only available on fansubs. Then you have the romanticists who talk down to anything that doesn't seem to fit what they like as "immature", then the action junkies who judge everything based on how exciting it is, the "insert show"-tards who insist on judging everything against one show (either for it or against it). And then, in the middle, a few people like me, who generally watch just about anything as long as it's entertaining.
While I listen to the action junkies tell me I like "girly" stuff, the romanticists tell me I like "immature" stuff, the -tards either tell me that this other show is 1000x better or 1000x worse, the mainstream-ers say I'm an elitist, and the elitists say I'm too mainstream. Somedays you just can't win.

Also, I don't know if calling them "Shounen Jumpers" is too accurate - as I often like to point out, Shounen Jump also serialized I''s and Ichigo 100% (among tons of other things).
Old 2006-09-21, 13:38   Link #6
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble
I started a new college a week ago. Surprisingly, EVERYONE in class is a fan of anime in one form or another. However:

Me: "Have you heard of Haruhi?
Me: "Have you heard of Higurashi?"
Me: "Do you watch fansubs?"
New classmate: "What's that?"
1 word...NUB! dnt know wht fansubs are = complete fail

Quote:
and another time I was looking at a Higurashi clip and someone else said: "You like girly (!) anime"
punch him!
cmon now imo these ppl are not open minded enough...i bet these guys think they know a lot about anime just by watching junk on CN -.- seriously tbh i dnt think they can even be asked to go serch for some diff titles over the net...if they think naruto is the best thing since sliced bread it shows how noob they actually are...exploring different genres is whts fun about watching anime...its just dumb to take the first thing you see and reckon its the best...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 13:53   Link #7
Snubben_Pierre

Scribble i know exactly what u talking about, its happend me also, when i started my class last year i heard that some of them watch anime, the only anime they watch though is bleach,naruto and one piece.. =/ i do like all of those three though but many hadnt heard of sweetness animes like monster,full metal panic,GTO etc.. >,< doesnt go to talk about anime with any1 of them. =P
Snubben_Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 13:54   Link #8
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
*then the action junkies who judge everything based on how exciting it is.
Heh, that be me.

J/K

I like funny stuff as well, ooh and horror, yeah I like a bit of gore.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 14:12   Link #9
NeoSam

Quote:
or last week, we went to forbidden planet and I grabbed a volume of Yakitate! Japan and one of them said: "Ohhh, I know what sort of anime you like!"
Higurashi a girly anime yeah right

A nice conversation I had with a friend:

Friend: What are you watching?
NeoSam: A seinen anime called Kamichu!

After watching an episode with me:

Friend: this is so girly, how can you watch this O.o ?
NeoSam: Its not girly, this is an anime aimed at male otakus
Friend: yeah right, this is so shoujo
NeoSam: F**k you, M****r F**k*r its not shoujo and it will never be
Friend: O.O

Was my reaction too much? maybe, but when I have to repeat the same things over and over and over, then thats the quickest and most effective response I can give to any idiot right now, I'm pretty bored of explaining how things are, so that is my "type" of response to anyone that I personally know.

Idiots that look at "how things look" and judge by that, these idiots don't know anything nor about manga nor anime. these idiots if they see a cute anime thats aimed at male japanese otakus, those idiots will call it shoujo.

To these idiots "Naruto", "DBZ", "BLEACH", ... and other "similar" manga/anime are for males, anything else is "girly".

Right now I prefer not talking to anyone about anime (in real life), and the only talking I do about manga/anime are in forums.
Old 2006-09-21, 14:51   Link #10
Srin Tuar
無謀

Yeah, Im familiar with this phenomenon as well myself.

I can always tell if a show will have that "mainstream" appeal (explosions, fast moving action, etc)
vs those that will only interest the more open minded anime fans.

I try to restrict myself to suggesting mainstreamish shows, like Eureka Seven, and not suggesting shows that they wont like, such and honey and clover. Certain shows, such as inukami, I wont even admit to watching around other people

Sometimes people surprise you though: I never expected anyone else I knew would be interested in holic, so that was a bit of a surprise. I guess there is some accounting for taste

Quote:

Friend: this is so girly, how can you watch this O.o ?
NeoSam: Its not girly, this is an anime aimed at male otakus
Friend: yeah right, this is so shoujo
NeoSam: F**k you, M****r F**k*r its not shoujo and it will never be
Friend: O.O
Hrm, and I had always thought Kamichu was somehow shoujo somewhat myself.
hehe, who really watches all these magical girls shows anyways
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 15:11   Link #11
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Oh, trust me - you are not alone with this kind of problem. I also have a couple of friends (namely - 3) who watch some anime - namely anything Naruto style. And the worst part is - you cant even discuss anything with them - they think that an anime where guys beat each other up with big sticks and flashy moves = teh win, and everything else is boring/girly/<insert idiotic coment>

One of them even considers DBZ the best show ever!!!! ... I tried to make them watch something else - didnt work. After they declared FMA a shitty anime for little kids i simply rest my case and gave up - im not talking to them much abut anime anymore, there is little point. Its simply frustrating and makes me want to sigh each second.

I wonder what would they think if i would announce that i consider Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha better than Naruto. Heck, i barely made them watch GS/GSD - they said it had too much talk and too little action...(they wouldnt watch older Gundam series because animation is not so good...) So basicly im stuck with myself when it comes to anime. And this forum
Old 2006-09-21, 15:24   Link #12
Scribble
Sloth

Great replies, thanks....I wasn't sure if I was making enough of a point to warrant feedback, lol.

About the "Shounen Jumpers" thing, it was merely an attempt at humour. I don't dislike Shounen Jump. Stuff like Death Note, One Piece and as you said, I"S came from there. I love those series.

About Higurashi, the funny thing was that I showed him a certain Rika scene after the girly comment. He was very mildly shocked, but then said "the art is girly though".

Like the situation with Kamichu, it sucks when you've seen anime that oozes quality in one way or another, but is dismissed by someone else just by looking at one shot.
Old 2006-09-21, 15:43   Link #13
LynRee
-

Haha, yeah, I know that situation. I've seen many people who were 100% sure that Naruto is the best anime ever created, without seeing other shows. Calling Higurashi a girly anime? Whoaa.

Well, at least you know people who like/know about anime. Trust me, it could be worse. I've even heard someone I know say "They're just stupid Chinese cartoons!" So, um, yeah. :P
LynRee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 15:47   Link #14
Amaranthine

Hmmm, I started taking Japanese classes recently, and encountered the same thing. There's a couple of guys, and all that came out of their mouths when I talked to them was "Naruto, Naruto, Naruto." They couldn't seem to understand how I can like anime and not watch Naruto, and they definitely didn't understand when I tried to talk about my favourite series right now... which is Nana. they exchanged a little look, and I think I have now been marked as "gay". I don't see it as any loss, because to be honest, the kind of people who can't see beyond action and crap like that aren't the kind of people I enjoy spending time with anyway.

I'm not even going to get started on other times I've met anime/manga fans, mostly while buying manga at a comic shop near me... I'm not suprised to see that this is a fairly common experience either. Obviously most of the people who join these forums watch more diverse anime, but we're surely a minority amongst everybody who considers themself an anime fan.
Amaranthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 15:52   Link #15
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
About Higurashi, the funny thing was that I showed him a certain Rika scene after the girly comment. He was very mildly shocked, but then said "the art is girly though".
haha well done for showing how much of a noob he was he should be getting nightmares lolol
too many narrow minded fools IMO

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 15:54   Link #16
Scribble
Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynRee
Well, at least you know people who like/know about anime. Trust me, it could be worse. I've even heard someone I know say "They're just stupid Chinese cartoons!" So, um, yeah. :P
Hehe. I would actually prefer that, so that I wouldn't have to HEAR about anime in class. It actually surrounds me in class, and I'm the one that contributes the least, including even the non anime watchers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthine
which is Nana. they exchanged a little look, and I think I have now been marked as "gay". I don't see it as any loss, because to be honest, the kind of people who can't see beyond action and crap like that aren't the kind of people I enjoy spending time with anyway.
I wouldn't DARE mention Nana. Hehe. There's nothing actually wrong with just liking action. But it'd be great if they knew they could get their action quota from stuff like Nanoha and possibly explore other aspects of the thing called anime they proclaim themselves as fans of.
Old 2006-09-21, 16:02   Link #17
Amaranthine

Quote:
I wouldn't DARE mention Nana. Hehe. There's nothing actually wrong with just liking action. But it'd be great if they knew they could get their action quota from stuff like Nanoha and possibly explore other aspects of the thing called anime they proclaim themselves as fans of.
Yeah, that's what irritates me. It's narrow minded to only watch a few things and not even consider others, and one of the best and only ways to irritate me is to be narrow minded. :/ If they would at least try something else, I wouldn't really care if they said they didn't like it. But meh, whatever. Like NeoSam said, I prefer to talk to people about anime online rather than in real life. It'd be nice, but as you seem to be pointing out with this topic, it's rare to get a decent chance.
Amaranthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 16:11   Link #18
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
I started a new college a week ago. Surprisingly, EVERYONE in class is a fan of anime in one form or another.
I'm nearing the end of my under-grad schooling (last semester baby ) and I've to say, you are DARN lucky to be able to meet so many people that actually admits of watching anime. I only found two people that watches any semblance of anime (one of them was (is?) a fan of Pokemon but then, I used to like Pokemon too!) One thing I've learned by reading the forums for as long as I have on and off that anyone who usually are categorizing any genre of fans usually don't even realize oneself that s/he is pretty much falling into a certain category as well. There simply is no better choice, or no better anime, or no better fans when you are the one going to decide what appeals to you. That goes for everyone else as well!

P.S. Another excellent post from Rooboy who has become one of my favorite posters in Asuki, along with Shay of course! Naruto rules!
Old 2006-09-21, 16:17   Link #19
Katapan
俺様祭り

At least there are people around you who like manga - it seems like an impossible task for me. I did find one person... who read Naruto. :x

I guess it can't be helped, that's how a lot of boys are these days. I'm sure some of them would enjoy well-done shoujo, but o noooes it's girly, they can't hurt their dear pride, they'd be labeled gay! Pfft.
Well, some of them might move on to other stuff later (in the closet, though...). I used to think Bleach was like the greatest show ever when I discovered the anime world in summer 05, and I love a lot of shoujo series now (and cannot stand most of standard shonen).

(Heh, talking about Nana, I'm glad I didn't hide my love for the manga - After asking my mother a few times to read them (I had to insist since she thought all shoujo was too childish), she became totally hooked and kept telling some people how it was better than most novels she read. She's now reading Fruits Basket and Kare Kano. Not all hope is lost for people who judge manga too quickly )
Old 2006-09-21, 16:24   Link #20
LynRee
-

Quote:
Hehe. I would actually prefer that, so that I wouldn't have to HEAR about anime in class. It actually surrounds me in class, and I'm the one that contributes the least, including even the non anime watchers.
Yeah, I see your point. Not hearing about it at all may still be better than hearing narrow minded people talk complete nonsense.

I guess I could consider myself lucky - I have one (1) friend who watches more or less the same shows as me. I've just recently introduced him to Haruhi, for example. I dunno, people like that must be a rarity or something. :P
LynRee is offline   Reply With Quote