AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-09-21, 16:35   Link #21
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
I'm nearing the end of my under-grad schooling (last semester baby ) and I've to say, you are DARN lucky to be able to meet so many people that actually admits of watching anime. I only found two people that watches any semblance of anime (one of them was (is?) a fan of Pokemon but then, I used to like Pokemon too!) One thing I've learned by reading the forums for as long as I have on and off that anyone who usually are categorizing any genre of fans usually don't even realize oneself that s/he is pretty much falling into a certain category as well. There simply is no better choice, or no better anime, or no better fans when you are the one going to decide what appeals to you. That goes for everyone else as well!

P.S. Another excellent post from Rooboy who has become one of my favorite posters in Asuki, along with Shay of course! Naruto rules!

That's the thing. I made it clear in my original post that I wasn't being elitist - I am NOT saying, for example, that watching moe anime is superior or "more complex"than watching Naruto. You could make an argument saying that many are "just as basic" as Naruto. It was simply an observation based on the fact that I was always wishing to meet anime fans in RL. I did, but not as I expected, and that my whole class is "anime mad" and even though I like anime too, it's been hard making common ground when it comes to anime.
Old 2006-09-21, 16:44   Link #22
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble
That's the thing. I made it clear in my original post that I wasn't being elitist - I am NOT saying, for example, that watching moe anime is superior or "more complex"than watching Naruto.
Nor was, I, trying to label you as one though your thread title may be of some indication that you were thinking along that same line until you've improved on your thought process and made the necessary adjustment in your opening post.

No worries. Not here to judge you or anyone else for that matter!

Well, gotta run.
Old 2006-09-21, 16:51   Link #23
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
Heh, that be me.
J/K
I like funny stuff as well, ooh and horror, yeah I like a bit of gore.
See, I don't have a problem with someone who admits that they like one precise thing and that's it. My problem is with people claim to be broad minded (or whatever) and when I actually look at what they watch, it's a very narrow selection. Being different doesn't make you broad-minded, it makes you narrow-minded in a different way.

My ten favorite shows from the last two seasons (in no particular order) are: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, Nana, Black Lagoon, Utawarerumono, Ouran High Host Club, Muteki Kanban Musume, Zero no Tsukaima, Honey and Clover II, Welcome to the NHK! and xxxHOLiC (though I also like Inukami quite a lot, Srin Tuar, I don't see what the big deal is. )

I count two shoujo, one josei, some seinen, and a couple of shonen in that list. There's romance (Nana), action (Black Lagoon), adventure (Utawarerumono), comedy (Muteki Kanban Musume), slice of life (Honey and Clover), and mystery (Higurashi no naku koro ni). Anime I'm most looking forward to in the coming season? Black Lagoon 2. Season after that? Nodame Cantiabille.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynRee
Yeah, I see your point. Not hearing about it at all may still be better than hearing narrow minded people talk complete nonsense.
I guess I could consider myself lucky - I have one (1) friend who watches more or less the same shows as me. I've just recently introduced him to Haruhi, for example. I dunno, people like that must be a rarity or something. :P
My wife watches anime with me (I've even finally transitioned her to watching fansubs - though I can still forget about the Japanese language track on US DVDs). She also has a very narrow interest, but hers is funny - she likes the generic-est harem-y-est shows available. Lots of funny, a tiny bit of romance and she's all over it. Ouran High Host Club? Loves it. Fruits Basket? Loves it. Love Hina? Loves it. Zero no Tsukaima? Loves it. Kare Kano? Nope. Honey and Clover? Pass. She also likes Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - though how that computes with the rest I have no idea.
Quote:
That's the thing. I made it clear in my original post that I wasn't being elitist
I didn't think you were being elitist, honestly. I actually thought your original post was particularly funny (which was why I repped it) in that "be careful what you wish for" way. I just find some of the responses amusing.
Old 2006-09-21, 19:32   Link #24
mit7059

I try not to get pissed off at the so called "shounen jumpers" because I used to be one, you've got to start somewhere, when I meet someone who is into anime like that I don't challenge it I try to slowly move them toward different genres. Perfect example, a friend of mine was into naruto, bleach, rurouni kenshin etc. So I suggested some shows in the middle ground such as .hack//SIGN and Eureka seveN, now he watches Honey & Clover and the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, we still have occasional dub vs sub debates, I am a strong advocate of subs while he still likes to cling to his adult swim dubs but we have intelligent discussions about anime. But this doesn't work on all people, I've shown Samurai X to some of my other friends who are into the naruto bleach scene and at first they loved it, but then after about and hour and a half,
"Dude this is getting boring, whats going on with all this talking?"
me- "Are we watching the same thing here? This is good."
friend- "Man those fight scenes were sweet, are there any more? otherwise we should watch something else."
me- "What?!"
friend- "This is boring"
me- "Just wait, theres a good fight scene at the end, just keep watching."
friend- "If you say so..." *starts playing with cell phone*

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 20:53   Link #25
Kikaifan
Blazing General

The way I see it, you have to watch high-action stuff to build a tolerance for anime conventions through low-level exposure.

That, or be a fan of slapstick.
Old 2006-09-21, 23:15   Link #26
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
Lotsa stuff
One of the biggest problems with young people today seems to be ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). If there aren't loads of explosions and bright colours and much kicking of butts, they lose interest. To be brutally honest, i'm glad I grew up when I did, during a time when the internet was unknown (yay for the Amstrad CPC464 tape-driven 'computer') and most TV was still reasonably entertaining.

Thankfully, I have a good attention span for intellectually stimulating anime, even though I do enjoy some occasion random explosions and so on as well
Old 2006-09-22, 02:40   Link #27
Kikaifan
Blazing General

ADD implies a short attention span. Short attention span does not imply ADD. Please, please don't throw around clinical disorders like that...
Old 2006-09-22, 12:18   Link #28
Supergrunch
Tegenaria gigantea

Send a message via MSN to Supergrunch
Quote:
About Higurashi, the funny thing was that I showed him a certain Rika scene after the girly comment. He was very mildly shocked, but then said "the art is girly though".
I posted that scene on another forum. I got one convert, and everyone else thinks I'm a sick bastard...

To be honest, I think it doen't really matter what anime you like provided you're open to trying different things- I can see that people who refuse to watch anything other than Naruto could be irritating.
Old 2006-09-22, 17:59   Link #29
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan
ADD implies a short attention span. Short attention span does not imply ADD. Please, please don't throw around clinical disorders like that...
Kindly try and avoid taking me out of context. I said 'seems to be', as in 'something like'. My point being that a lot of people have short attention spans now, and can't be bothered to sit through dialogue-heavy anime that the majority of people here would likely enjoy.
Old 2006-09-22, 18:16   Link #30
Kisuke06
I see...

I also have some friends who watch anime. Well, just 2 actually. I guess I can say they are kind of Shounen Jumpers. They like Naruto, Bleach and this kind of stuff, but some times I make then try other animes, such as Haruhi and Higurashi. =]

But nowadays I prefer to talk about anime/manga just in forums.

But, Higurashi a girly anime? That was funny. lol
Old 2006-09-22, 18:33   Link #31
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
That's the thing. I made it clear in my original post that I wasn't being elitist
You do not need to defend yourself, really. I had the exact same experience a while ago. Well, my class isn't full of anime fans however I did recently discover a bunch of people I semi-knew were anime fans. So I struck up a conversation. But almost all of them are fans of the usual - Naruto, Bleach, etc. They ask me what I like, and if I reply "Welcome to the NHK" like you also did, they have no idea what I'm talking about, though they probably know what fansubs are......and I won't even go into if I had explained about Honey and Clover or Bokura Ga Ita.

So all the time I've been wishing I could have more fellow anime fans in real life, but even now that I have, it's not as great as I would've thought. Well, I mean I do watch Naruto still, but I have no interest in Bleach or what have you.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-23, 02:12   Link #32
Lost

Like many here, my experiences have been/are:
  • Trying (very unsuccessfully) to get people who cannot seat thru heavy dialogue parts, or parts without action, to like the slower, meaningful, slice of life Animes. (I have many that are very much like mit7059's experience)

• Always having to launch into long explanations about the mentioned Anime when asked by my friends: "So what are you watching now?" And usually getting a blank face when I explain them.

• Getting generalisations from people around me. "Oh, that bug anime?"

I really understand the frustration when one tries unsuccessfully to put across the fact that there is so much more to Anime than what they are watching, which only barely touches at the surface. In fact, on my introduction to ASf, this point really hit me and kind of overwhelmed me, when I realised I could not possibly watch all the Anime ever made and that I may be missing the best ones.

Then again, one poster somewhere above makes the very true point that we all had to start somewhere. I sure I was like that once; needing people to explain Anime series, fansubs and bittorrenting to me. In some respects I still am like that really. At least I embraced the different, and I'm not regreting it at all.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-27, 10:19   Link #33
DawnEmperor

Yeah I used to be a shonen jumper as well. Kind of a mix between cartoon network animes and shonen jump. I realized I was woefully limited in series, but often times I thought that new series would be too complex to get into.

Naruto, One Piece, YuGiOh GX(for some reason I didn't see the original), Prince of Tennis, Gash Bell were some of my first series.

Think I was in ninth grade before I really started expanding. Suzuka was probably my first non-shonen jump series along with Over Drive and Umisho (yeah sports manga), as well as rediscovering some old ones I watched but barely remember (Chuka Ichiban)
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-27, 20:51   Link #34
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
I started a new college a week ago. Surprisingly, EVERYONE in class is a fan of anime in one form or another. However:

New classmate: "You like anime?"
Me: "Yeah wow, finally I meet more anime fans!"
New classmate: "Yeah cool"
Me: "What's your favourite series"
New classmate: "Naruto"
Me: "Haha, I'm not a big fan of Naruto myself. What else do you like?"
New classmate: "Inuyasha, Bleach, Fist of the North Star, [even KIBA at one point! etc. etc."
Me: "Have you heard of Haruhi?
New classmate: "No."
Me: "Have you heard of Higurashi?"
New classmate: "No."
Me: "Do you watch fansubs?"
New classmate: "What's that?"

Don't mistake this for elitism of some kind. It's fair enough if one likes Naruto. However:

Me: This is Mai Hime, if you like Naruto you might want to try this.
Them: Looks cool, but it can't be better than Naruto. And it's full of girls.

or last week, we went to forbidden planet and I grabbed a volume of Yakitate! Japan and one of them said: "Ohhh, I know what sort of anime you like!"
and another time I was looking at a Higurashi clip and someone else said: "You like girly (!) anime"

Funniest one was:

Them: So what are you watching at the moment?
Me: Welcome to NHK
Them: What's it about?
Me: It's about some guy who locks himself in his house and is afraid to go out and has social problems.
Them: So what does he do? Does he go into a magical dimension? Does he fight monsters? etc.

I've always been eager to meet anime fans because where I live they are rare, and I got my wish. Nearly everyone in the class is about anime, and there's usually a conversation about it on a regular basis. And the funny thing is, I can't contribute to it! It's weird, especially when you know something so well, and others around you are just grazing the surface (thinking the surface is the whole picture).

This is more or less more blog material than forum material. I'm not even complaining, but just an observation.

But the moral of this post is the cliche saying: Be Careful What You Wish For.
I know that feel.

I had the same problem whenever I was brave enough to ask someone if they knew what anime was. My current roommate is one of those "Shounen Jumpers" as you call it. He's a bit more open minded though, so when I showed him Mushishi, he said he really did like it after one episode, but he just went back to Naruto after that, never to watch it again. I suppose in the end the result is the same.

However, since I made an anime club I've met a lot of anime fans, two of which have even more expansive tastes than myself (DemiSoda being one of them), so now I have quite a large circle of rl friends with both similar and differing tastes in anime. The variety in tastes is good, I think, as long as everyone is open-minded and don't restrict themselves to the Shounen-Jump mentality.

The approach I took at my club was showing a variety of anime covering every genre, so some of the more shounen-jumpers rocked up for the shounen and the action, and were forced to sit through the girly shit, and ended up appreciating it in the end. The club started in 2008 with mostly fresh-bloods who had only seen Naruto, Hellsing, Trigun and other mainstream anime, but by the end of the first year, Clannad and Genshiken were the club favourites.

If you're a ruthless and methodical teacher like myself, they will come around eventually.
Old 2011-11-27, 21:39   Link #35
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Most of us feel the same way but some of us, like me, can't really diss them because we used to be like them before.

I still remember how infatuated I was with Naruto until I started digging for more anime and then I slowly forgot about that damn anime (or I missed a few episodes and can't really catch up anymore).
Old 2011-11-27, 22:34   Link #36
abc0716

I am very glad that I was not getting too deep inside those Shounen Jump series during my secondary school time, which was about 4-5 years ago.

Otherwise, I would become one of the member of hardcore 'Shounen Jumpers', which ignores any non-shounen animes, heh.

Actually, I did watched some series like Galaxy Angel, GSeed series, Nanoha or F/SN during that time, when I asked my classmate like 'Do you watch [one of the series I just mentioned] before?', almost all of them said no, since they're more keen on Jump series plus some others like D.Gray Man, Yakitate Japan and Gantz (more about manga version).

By the way, I doesn't tend to offend any of them (the Jump fans). Maybe I'm a 'borderline' anime elitist.
abc0716 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-27, 22:35   Link #37
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Most of us feel the same way but some of us, like me, can't really diss them because we used to be like them before.

I still remember how infatuated I was with Naruto until I started digging for more anime and then I slowly forgot about that damn anime (or I missed a few episodes and can't really catch up anymore).
I should clarify, I used to like Naruto, and still do. The difference is purely restricting yourself to shounens because it's "manly" or not.

Though I've never really considered Naruto manly at all >_>
Old 2011-11-27, 22:42   Link #38
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

People who watch ONLY Naruto or Naruto-like shows are probably anime n00bs, from my personal experience with anime watchers. Of course this doesn't apply to Naruto fans who watch other stuff as well.
Old 2011-11-28, 03:26   Link #39
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

We should all be thankful for stuff like Naruto and friends. I think of it like this

There's a door to a small shop that a lot of people pass by and only a few regulars enter. Inside its empty, cold and cheerless but it has a lot of unique stuff the regulars like.

One day, somebody puts a sign that says "Welcome, free pepsi to customers". People then start to enter the shop but mill around near the entrance to drink the pepsi rather than go further in. Some start to find the area too crowded and move further inside and some brave souls decide to explore. Slowly the shop feels less empty and cold though its very noisy at the entrance which may irritate some of the regulars.
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 03:45   Link #40
Haak
F**k my life...

My annoying problem is that whilst I watch almost nothing but ongoing anime, my friends read nothing but manga. Occasionally I can talk to them about a certain anime but discussion is usually horribly limited to taking about then latest Bleach/Naruto chapter...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote