AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-23, 10:48   Link #1
Ptolemi
Banned

I ask you for help :(

Hello. I am brand new to this site and i just have a small request.

Well what can i say? I am a wanna-be anime fan. I mean the first anime i ever watched was when i moved to the USA about 6 years ago and it was DBZ on Cartoonnetwork. It was awsome. I was just 11 years old so i tought it was the best show ever.

After for the next 5 or so years i mean i really only watched yu yu hakusho (never watched it all saw up to the part where his dad gives him like pwoers and he whoops the hell out of the guy who wanted to unleash demons into the real world), ghost in shell, rurouni kenshin (never watched it all), HELLSING, Big O (never watched it all), Tenchi Muyo (never watched it all) and Blue Gender which i tought was pretty kick ass because of the story development, suspense, and action.

As you can see my knowledge and experience in the field is not big. I watched allmost all of those series to the end even though it was the Americanized verson, which i learned in recent months is crappy and bad.

Now in the past year my friend somewhat got me into anime and gave me this site SO here i am asking for your help. I am currently watching KIBA, Bleach, waiting for Naruto to get back on track, and Air Gear. That is about it. My plead is if you can suggest what i need to watch?

To help ya decide:

I like action packed animes as well as comedy. I can't stand animes that rush except Hellsing . I love character development. I feel that is VERY important to me because if the characters don't stick i don't care about it. I can very well stand anime where the action is not over the top like KIBA and Tenchi Muyo and i even find that enjoyable .

I really do not want to devote my time to an anime that is not good, because i feel like... idk... if i do somehow i won't be able to enjoy others if i go on this chase to find one and in the end it turns out to be bad and what not. I know that might be a bit picky and i agree it is, but i just feel that way and i do not want... how do i say... skewere my appreciation for this art and just not be able to appreciate the others as much.

SO what animes can ya suggest i should wathc? I am open for just about anything. The only thing is i am not sure where to get since if it is old ppl are probably not seeding anymore so if possible (if the following line is against the rules i am sorry didn't have a chance to read them) can anybody suggest where i can get old material?

Again thank you VERY VERY much for your time and i hope i have not been a bother
Old 2006-09-23, 11:04   Link #2
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptolemi
I really do not want to devote my time to an anime that is not good, because i feel like... idk... if i do somehow i won't be able to enjoy others if i go on this chase to find one and in the end it turns out to be bad and what not. I know that might be a bit picky and i agree it is, but i just feel that way and i do not want... how do i say... skewere my appreciation for this art and just not be able to appreciate the others as much.
Dont worry I understand; I would feel it a waste of time if I watched an Anime that is bad; but then again, Ptolemi, whats bad or good is often up to the individual viewer. So you'll only know if you watch it for yourself and then make your own decision. Also, how can you appreciate the good without coming into contact with the "bad?"

If you love character development, PlanetES certainly comes to mind. It has a wide sampling of action here and there (but certainly, many conflicts occur; usually one each episode), as well as a healthy dose of comedy, but it's focus is primarily on its characters, fleshing them out and developing them very very well. So yes, PlanetES is a must watch. Its preeetty old; around 2003, and already licensed (that means you can't ask for places to download them).

I hear that Honey and Clover is also spot on with character development. Its primarily romance, and deals with the lives of a group of Art students. It has had 1 season (24eps) + 2 OVAs; and its 2nd season (12 eps) just completed its run. Both seasons and OVA are not licensed yet, so you can find them in ASuki's torrent listing.

Oh, and welcome to Animesuki, may you have long and intellectual discussions!

Last edited by Lost; 2006-09-23 at 11:21.
Old 2006-09-23, 11:22   Link #3
MamoruUsagi

I was an anime fan since 1995. I love romance anime and manga. I suggest you read manga. Here are some suggestions. I will introduce you to the romance manga genre.

Sailor Moon is 200 anime episodes, 18 manga volumes, the live action series. The couple become boyfriend and girlfriend, get married and have a child. Tuxedo Mask is a wonderful character.

Fushigi Yuugi is a great series, the manga is better.

Fushigi Yugi is a wonderful series where the couple become boyfriend and girlfriend, get married and have a child. The manga is wonderful. The manga is 18 volumes, the anime only goes up to volume 13. I recommend you read all 18 manga volumes. It is wonderful. The manga is wonderful and longer than the anime.

Marmalade Boy is a great series.

Kare First Love is a good manga series.

Ayashi no Ceres is a great manga series, but not the anime. The manga is great, but the aniem takes out so many scenes and a lot of the storyline. You must only read the manga.

Happy Hustle High is a good manga series.

Kare Kano is a good series. It is a different series from Kare First Love. The manga is 21 volumes, the anime only goes up to volume 7.

Mars is a realistic and mature manga series dealing with rape, sex, dating, suicide and living together.

Peach Girl is a great manga series, the anime cuts everything out and changes all references of sex to kissing. The manga is great, it is 18 volumes. Volumes 1-8 are sold as Peach Girl 1-8, volumes 9-18 are sold as Peach Girl Change Of Heart 1-10. Make sure you get the right volumes, you might get the wrong ones. The series is so realistic.

Bokura ga Ita is a great realistic romance series.

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien is another serious series.

The Devil Does Exist is a realistic romance series.

High School Debut is a fun romance series.

Paradise Kiss is a good series.

Love Attack is fun.

Ultra Cute is fun.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2008-09-27 at 12:23.
Old 2006-09-23, 11:26   Link #4
andromeda0201

for character development, Juuni Kokki is defininitely not to be missed
Also try Gundam Seed, Mai Hime, Full Metal Alchemist, Eureka Seven, Full Metal Panic, Getbackers, and Yakitate Japan. Sadly most of these are licensed

I'm also very tempted to recommend Le Chevalier, only 2 episodes have been subbed so I can't gurantee whether its quality will persist, but currently it has been interesting and the animation is absolutely breathtaking
Old 2006-09-23, 11:34   Link #5
Ptolemi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamoruUsagi
I was an anime fan since 1995. I love romance anime and manga. I suggest you read manga. Here are some suggestions. I will introduce you to the romance manga genre.

Sailor Moon is 200 anime episodes, 18 manga volumes, the live action series. The couple become boyfriend and girlfriend, get married and have a child. Tuxedo Mask is a wonderful character.

Fushigi Yuugi is a great series, the manga is better.

Fushigi Yugi is a wonderful series where the couple become boyfriend and girlfriend, get married and have a child. The manga is wonderful. The manga is 18 volumes, the anime only goes up to volume 13. I recommend you read all 18 manga volumes. It is wonderful. The manga is wonderful and longer than the anime.

Marmalade Boy is a great series.

Kare First Love is a good manga series.

Ayashi no Ceres is a great manga series, but not the anime. The manga is great, but the aniem takes out so many scenes and a lot of the storyline. You must only read the manga.

Happy Hustle High is a good manga series.

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (Kare Kano) is a good series. It is a different series from Kare First Love. The manga is 21 volumes, the anime only goes up to volume 7.

Mars is a mature manga series dealing with rape, sex, dating, suicide and living together.

Peach Girl is a great manga series, the anime cuts everything out and changes all references of sex to kissing. The manga is great, it is 18 volumes. Volumes 1-8 are sold as Peach Girl 1-8, volumes 9-18 are sold as Peach Girl Change Of Heart 1-10. Make sure you get the right volumes, you might get the wrong ones. The series is so realistic.

Stellvia Of The Universe is good.

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien is another serious series.

Kodomo no Omocha is a good series.
Yes i have actually spotted Mars here and there from ppl reading it. I have never how do i say... seen a "mature" manga, but heck ill give it a try.

I have also heard of peach girl and yes i have heard good things about it.

Sailor Moon is a no no for me because of the anime i had to watch. I babysat kids and they were freaking nuts over it so i somehow grew a GREAT disliking for it sorry.

I will read Mars, but can ya suggest an action anime of some sort or?
Old 2006-09-23, 11:35   Link #6
Ptolemi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inujun
for character development, Juuni Kokki is defininitely not to be missed
Also try Gundam Seed, Mai Hime, Full Metal Alchemist, Eureka Seven, Full Metal Panic, Getbackers, and Yakitate Japan. Sadly most of these are licensed

I'm also very tempted to recommend Le Chevalier, only 2 episodes have been subbed so I can't gurantee whether its quality will persist, but currently it has been interesting and the animation is absolutely breathtaking
Will check out Juuni. What is Chevalier about?
Old 2006-09-23, 11:53   Link #7
Ptolemi
Banned

Well i check out almost all of the animes you showed me.

I liked the one where they collect dreebes in space and the one where the girl wants to stop the super nova from killing humans again and all.

The problem is this. All most all of those are licensed so i can't get them on anime suki. I checked out torrentspy.com but some of the animes are so old that they have like only the new episodes so i can't dl the old ones.

Well that is fine thx for the help so much of it
Old 2006-09-23, 11:53   Link #8
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Wellcome to world of anime Well, since you said you are open for anything and you are new to anime i suggest you try a bit of everything to get a better taste of what you like

Fate/Stay night - pretty nice series with action and romance and a little bit(ok, a lot ) of magic, definitely a good thing to start with.

Black Cat - action adventure with some humour, a pretty decent show you are bound to like if you like action

Full Metal Alchemist - truly amazing series with lots of action and mystery and superb plot. It is darker and more serious than it seems from the start. A must-see in my book.

Elfen Lied - do not watch this if you cant stand violence, because you will get quite a lot of it here. Its really good and dark series with a sinister feeling to it. One of my favorite animes, but you have to see past the gore and some nudity, that is not what the series is about and a lot of people miss it.

Shuffle! - a harem type Romance/comedie that turns in to drama midways in the series. Despite some problems the show has during the end with character development being screwed a bit it is still quite enjoyable and will tell you wether you like this type of anime or not.

Lamune - well...romance. And extremely good one might i add. If you like romance you will like it, if not - you wont Altho im not a big fan of romance i enjoyed this quite a bit.

Thats some things quickly from the top of my head that i would suggest you to watch
Old 2006-09-23, 12:35   Link #9
LynRee
-

Well, if you need some good comedy shows, then definitely check out School Rumble and The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi. They're among the best comedies out there IMO.

If you want something shorter (an anime movie, I mean), then Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust. A beautifully drawn, dark story with a half-vampire protagonist and lots of spectacular action scenes.
Also, if you watched the TV series of Hellsing, then you shouldn't miss the Hellsing Ultimate OVA series, which, unlike the TV series, follows the manga more accurately. Two eps are out so far, each is about 45-50 minutes long.

Black Cat, Elfen Lied, Fullmetal Alchemist and Shuffle! have already been mentioned so I'll skip those. But they're all pretty good series. FMA is a bit long, though, around 40-50 episodes if I remember correctly, but it's well worth watching.
Old 2006-09-23, 12:44   Link #10
Ptolemi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynRee
Well, if you need some good comedy shows, then definitely check out School Rumble and The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi. They're among the best comedies out there IMO.

If you want something shorter (an anime movie, I mean), then Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust. A beautifully drawn, dark story with a half-vampire protagonist and lots of spectacular action scenes.
Also, if you watched the TV series of Hellsing, then you shouldn't miss the Hellsing Ultimate OVA series, which, unlike the TV series, follows the manga more accurately. Two eps are out so far, each is about 45-50 minutes long.

Black Cat, Elfen Lied, Fullmetal Alchemist and Shuffle! have already been mentioned so I'll skip those. But they're all pretty good series. FMA is a bit long, though, around 40-50 episodes if I remember correctly, but it's well worth watching.
yeah i watched Hellsing OVA and that is what spiked my interest in watching different kinds of anime and that is why i am here
Old 2006-09-23, 13:11   Link #11
LynRee
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptolemi
yeah i watched Hellsing OVA and that is what spiked my interest in watching different kinds of anime and that is why i am here
Well that's good to hear.

Anyway, a series I forgot to mention is Scrapped Princess. I loved it when I first watched it, so you could take a look at it.
Old 2006-09-23, 13:13   Link #12
HXHFMP
a world's hunt

If you really like action type theN i'll suggest you those two:

Berserk - it's a really deep story that takes place in a old world. A very high rated anime and i'm sure that you will like it.

Hunter x Hunter - A little similar to DBZ or Naruto but more mature. It's from the same creator as yuyu hakusho and this too is very high rated.

Last edited by HXHFMP; 2006-09-23 at 14:44.
Old 2006-09-24, 10:48   Link #13
IGC

If you like action and comedy you could watch:

Hajime no Ippo - it's comedy like, but the actual fights are awesomeeee, I think the character development on the series is quite good.

For less comedy and more action:

Wolf's Rain - This is one is more of the drama type.

Gungrave - Really cool action and great characters. The story will get you hooked to this series.

All others I can think of have already been discussed...
Closed Thread