AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-07-06, 01:34   Link #201
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Is this production using the game voices?
If you mean the Japanese version then no, they aren't using the game's voices. Like many Capcom games, the game's voice acting is in English, as seen here in the DMC4 trailer, with Japanese subs.

I think I've heard Trish in some anime, can't place it though. Lady's though has leant her voice to many anime.

And for those of you wondering how Lady got that scar on her leg

Last edited by Royal_Devil; 2007-07-06 at 01:50.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 10:06   Link #202
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
If you mean the Japanese version then no, they aren't using the game's voices. Like many Capcom games, the game's voice acting is in English, as seen here in the DMC4 trailer, with Japanese subs.

I think I've heard Trish in some anime, can't place it though. Lady's though has leant her voice to many anime.

And for those of you wondering how Lady got that scar on her leg
I bet it's a union dub. Trish's VA is a Hollywood actress and Lady's VA is uncredited. Dante's current VA is a Hollywood actor too.

So, no offense but I'd rather they keep the cost down by using their VAs who they are familiar with and give us extras instead.
Old 2007-07-06, 10:33   Link #203
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

I forget if it was Reuben or Southworth who revealed Lady's real VA was not her mocap actor, because her accent was too thick. I'll have to find it again but I believe they said Kari Wahlgren had provided Lady's voice. The ADR for DMC3 and the voice of Nevan also played the Major in GITS and Kuenai in Naruto. There's also Bosch in DMC4.

Reuben has been told about the anime and has expressed interest in reprising his role. So it seems he'll at least attempt to take back his part. Otherwise, I guess ADV's actors would make a decent Dante. Really, all Iwant is hearing Dante speak Engsih again. As good as the seiyuu is, I just think Dante just doesn't seem right speaking Japanese.
Old 2007-07-06, 11:40   Link #204
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Episode 4 was a mixed bag.
Same here.

Spoiler:

I'm also wondering just how close this series to game canon. Hopefully it is, if only just to expand on what we already know. But as of now, it's not so clear to me—which is partly the reason why I'm not grasping the feel of this series yet.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 12:08   Link #205
orion

Isn't it easier to think of this as an alternate universe title? That way all the preconceived expectations from the game are left in the game and the anime can be enjoyed as a separate entity.

You have Trish and Lady coexisting in the same title with the business name not changed. You also have Patti and Morrison which are new characters. In a way, it is already deviating from the games imo.

I can understand if they had said upfront that this was to be a game adaptation, but no such claims have been made AFAIK.

Quote:
Reuben has been told about the anime and has expressed interest in reprising his role. So it seems he'll at least attempt to take back his part. Otherwise, I guess ADV's actors would make a decent Dante. Really, all Iwant is hearing Dante speak Engsih again. As good as the seiyuu is, I just think Dante just doesn't seem right speaking Japanese.
As long as it's not a union dub and he doesn't ask for a lot of money causing the anime fans to lose out on extras or pay more, then I don't really care. Kari Wahlgren is a known VA so no problems there either imo.
Old 2007-07-06, 12:13   Link #206
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Isn't it easier to think of this as an alternate universe title? That way all the preconceived expectations from the game are left in the game and the anime can be enjoyed as a separate entity.
Well, yes but that's a bit disappointing and too easy. "Too easy," as in lacking focus. Personally, I think the connection with the games would've made the stories of the series tighter and more interesting.
Old 2007-07-07, 11:12   Link #207
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Well, yes but that's a bit disappointing and too easy. "Too easy," as in lacking focus. Personally, I think the connection with the games would've made the stories of the series tighter and more interesting.
But the gamers already know the story so it wouldn't be much of an incentive for them imo. Even Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho tweaked the anime to make it more fresh and engaging for the gamers. FF7 went straight for the sequel.

Anime fans seeking balance woudn't find it in a straight game adaptation (no moe). To balance both sides, it's best to be alternate universe imo.

There's probably a main boss in the anime somewhere now that most of the main characters have been introduced with only Morrison's background not explained well. The episodic nature is good so far imo.
Old 2007-07-07, 12:10   Link #208
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 4 ~
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-07, 12:48   Link #209
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
But the gamers already know the story so it wouldn't be much of an incentive for them imo. Even Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho tweaked the anime to make it more fresh and engaging for the gamers. FF7 went straight for the sequel.
I didn't say that it should adapt the plot of the games. Only its canon. The anime could add something, or rather, expand on what we already know. Hence why I mentioned something about focus.

But come to think of it, the anime does seem to have a connection somewhere, besides the obvious. It's like set somewhere before the events of DMC2, which is the latest story from the game canon. We have Trish, equipped with dual pistols, doing some hunting on her own, and Dante who doesn't speak much. Well, there's that little girl... so yeah, whatever.
Old 2007-07-07, 13:37   Link #210
ItachiGT
Banned

Well, lol....i haven't played any D.M.C games yet so i am not "spolied".

And i love this series i must say.

The animation is very good and smooth.

And the character-designs, which are all adapted from the games ofc, are just fantastic for anime level.

After Claymore, Darker than black this is one of my favourite series.
ItachiGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-07, 15:39   Link #211
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Just watched the first 2 episodes ... and boy, am i disappointed in the series. It is ridiculously over the top and the "coolness" factor is overplayed to the point where i find it comic instead of cool. Episode 2 especially managed to overuse my suspension of disbelief. I literally rolled my eyes when the bridge in ep2 was collapsing due to few gunshots During the first minutes i thought it is going to be somewhat similar to hellsing in overall mood ... Hellsing was indeed "badass", but this comes across rather lame. I am giving it a few more episodes to make an impression, but chances are very high i will drop it.
Old 2007-07-07, 16:31   Link #212
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Just watched the first 2 episodes ... and boy, am i disappointed in the series. It is ridiculously over the top and the "coolness" factor is overplayed to the point where i find it comic instead of cool. Episode 2 especially managed to overuse my suspension of disbelief. I literally rolled my eyes when the bridge in ep2 was collapsing due to few gunshots During the first minutes i thought it is going to be somewhat similar to hellsing in overall mood ... Hellsing was indeed "badass", but this comes across rather lame. I am giving it a few more episodes to make an impression, but chances are very high i will drop it.
I don't think it's OTT enough for DMC. But Welcome to the Devil May Cry universe. It's always been about style.
Old 2007-07-08, 03:00   Link #213
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Episode 4 is just...lame. Trish's and Lady's cat fight is plain lame, what the hell is with 'we're just playing game with you"!?
LightningZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 06:48   Link #214
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Yea, ep.4 was pretty lame. And the faces are drawn so inconsistently. Madhouse can usually turn out some really good stuff, I hope they at least will re-draw some scenes in the DVD release.
Old 2007-07-08, 16:52   Link #215
Shinn_Kabuto
Ore wa Kyasshan!

Quote:
I forget if it was Reuben or Southworth who revealed Lady's real VA was not her mocap actor, because her accent was too thick. I'll have to find it again but I believe they said Kari Wahlgren had provided Lady's voice. The ADR for DMC3 and the voice of Nevan also played the Major in GITS and Kuenai in Naruto. There's also Bosch in DMC4.

But it's better if Reuben Langdon will be Dante's VA in the DMC anime. Ya know, he also played as Dante in the live action DMC 3 commercials. http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fft4Qeo6hUs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aOJCwIe7ajM

Do u notice that there are two former "Power Rangers" are involved in the Devil May Cry frachise?
Shinn_Kabuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 21:06   Link #216
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

EP 2 :

This episode was better than the last one DMC got its own version of Lara Croft Lily Croft The BGM was rocking and reached a crescendo during fight scenes Dante character development especially personality needs some tweaking he has to have shades of Black and White . Dante is just too mice

After reading one of the heterochromatic threads Lily qualifies as one. The pacing of this episode was better than the last one the bike sequence was the highlight of this episode. Dante should be teamed up with lily more she brings out a different person in Dante. I like that personality

Thus episode was better than episode 1 actually a lot better got high hopes on episode 3 as it is supposedly the best out of lot . I would have preferred major arcs to one episode mini arcs
Old 2007-07-08, 22:02   Link #217
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
But the gamers already know the story so it wouldn't be much of an incentive for them imo.
I disagree. Knowing the story ahead doesn't lessen any incentive for the faithfuls. A lot of series that are being animated has very popular fan base due to the popularity of the manga/novel counterpart, and I am sure a lot of those people are still enjoying the animated version of a said title just as much even though they know the story ahead in time.

The problem with DMC anime so far is that it's suffering from not having a core story. The story is as original as, say, Bleach/Naruto filler where the familiarity of an established character seem to get lost in the anime original. If the familiar script was being used, then I'm willing to bet your schilling that a lot of us would be raving and ranting about the awesomeness of DMC in most posts.
Old 2007-07-08, 22:29   Link #218
orion

But raving and ranting about awesomeness is one thing and buying the DVDs is another. If it is a straight game adaptation, it's hard to convince people to pay more for what they've already paid for and played ad nauseum imo. The faithful would still gooble this version up just like Advent Children imo.

I don't think that it's suffering. It had to introduce 3 main characters to those new to DMC, 2 new characters to all and establish its place in the timeline for those playing the games.

The main problem probably won't surface until Lady and Trish are back in town anyways. Patti also needs more character development imo since a lot of energy is being expended on her. Patti and Dante's relationship also needs more developping imo.
Old 2007-07-08, 23:05   Link #219
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
But raving and ranting about awesomeness is one thing and buying the DVDs is another.
That's an intersting point. Raves and rants have a lot of influence at getting people to buy things. The way the show is going about so far, I don't see why the DVD should sell any better just because the plot is anime-original. It is still crap like most anime-original out there.
Old 2007-07-09, 00:02   Link #220
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
The faithful would still gooble this version up just like Advent Children imo.
Actually, Advent Children is a good example, since that too is based on a previous story. Its foundation is already established by the game. The same goes for the number of spin-offs or side stories FFVII is currently getting. That's what I meant to say by having a proper sense of focus—by being grounded to a core story and expanding from it—rather than churning out episodic stories that "may or may not" have any relation at all. It's like asking the question, "where are we going from this?" or "what's the point?" That's how this series feels to me as of now.

The games already have established something out there. It's unfortunate if the anime won't capitalize on that, and doing so doesn't necessarily mean alienating newcomers as, let's say, playing DMC3 despite not having touched the first game. (Or for that matter, watching Advent Children even though one hasn't experienced the game on the Playstation.)

Anyway, things aren't so clear yet, so we'll see.

Tags
action, madhouse