AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-09-19, 00:39   Link #321
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I meant that if another TV series or OVA is being planned then they may be saving DT for that foe. Sort of like with Hellsing. Arucard doesn't go all out until he gets near the end of the series.

Besides having a human population see DT would not be in his best interest either. The human population would ostracize him just like that other guy did in the earlier episode. Maybe if another series is planned, his foe is stronger, and he is fighting in another dimension, we'll see DT in all its glory.

Of course, there is the unknown factor of how an anime viewing population would react to DT. What may be cool as a game maneuver could induce yawns from an anime watcher who has seen transformations out of the wazoo.
Old 2007-09-19, 10:17   Link #322
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I meant that if another TV series or OVA is being planned then they may be saving DT for that foe. Sort of like with Hellsing. Arucard doesn't go all out until he gets near the end of the series.
And if it's never made then they wasted a perfect oppotunity.

But hopefully, like Hellsing, another series would go to a different studio who will proceed to make a series that will one up the previous series in almost every way.

Quote:
Besides having a human population see DT would not be in his best interest either. The human population would ostracize him just like that other guy did in the earlier episode. Maybe if another series is planned, his foe is stronger, and he is fighting in another dimension, we'll see DT in all its glory.
Human population has nothing to do with it. There was a red glow. He was using that power regardless of his surroundings right then. My problem was that they never showed it. Like so many instances, the action that's made DMC awesome is not there.

Quote:
Of course, there is the unknown factor of how an anime viewing population would react to DT. What may be cool as a game maneuver could induce yawns from an anime watcher who has seen transformations out of the wazoo.
But it would have delighted fans of Devil May Cry. And I think most would agree DT looks awesome.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 23:59   Link #323
orion

But the anime watcher is the main target in R1 and the criteria for a good title does not necessarily include game moves imo. You have overlap with the gamers only because its a popular game title.

Anime watchers prob won't care whether or not DT was done. I saw the YouTube clip. Someone changing into a demon with wings and proceeding to slay things would be a yawn inducer for anime fans imo. "Been there seen that billions of times." would be the reaction. It's also not very consistent with the show's humanizaton of Dante. You don't hit the viewer over the head with his human side and then show a demon transformation imo. That's counterproductive.

Anime viewers are in it for the fanservice, story, dub quality (English and Japanese) and video quality imo. This show was probably targeting those not into DMC anyways from the way it was animated [not many weapons, not a lot of higher moves]. Besides, if Capcom had wanted DT shown in all its glory, it would have made it in the series imo.

This is a Madhouse production. Only Production IG , Kyoto Animation, and Ghibli are consistently slightly better imo. Frankly, I hope that Madhouse gives us another DMC series. I think that they did a good job.
Old 2007-09-20, 07:11   Link #324
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

dante is like a tank that is indestructible...

Always had that feeling. should i be afraid for dante? nah...

but the last episode was getting ridiculous, stab me, pierce me i don't care i just keep going.
Old 2007-09-20, 09:23   Link #325
pingu^
Mishi-Corp

this whole series had such awesome potential, especially for the fight scenes, but i was tremendously let down by the final fight....
pingu^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 09:42   Link #326
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Anime watchers prob won't care whether or not DT was done. I saw the YouTube clip. Someone changing into a demon with wings and proceeding to slay things would be a yawn inducer for anime fans imo. "Been there seen that billions of times." would be the reaction. It's also not very consistent with the show's humanizaton of Dante. You don't hit the viewer over the head with his human side and then show a demon transformation imo. That's counterproductive.
You're the first nay-sayer I've come across. Besides, that's only one form of his DT. DMC1's DT was simply an electrical (or flames if using Ifrit) aura except when attacking with the weapon, when Dante would take on his Devil form quickly. There, Dante remains human except for brief flashes when swinging his weapon. In fact, maybe they used the DMC1 DT in the anime though seeing a few swings and quick morphs to his demon form would have been a great addition

Quote:
Anime viewers are in it for the fanservice, story, dub quality (English and Japanese) and video quality imo. This show was probably targeting those not into DMC anyways from the way it was animated [not many weapons, not a lot of higher moves]. Besides, if Capcom had wanted DT shown in all its glory, it would have made it in the series imo.
What fanservice? Unless you mean the moe bait Patty. What story? Slice of life series don't leave much for story. It's more about characters, which is one of the few things I think they got right. There's a good chance the game's VA's won't be able to ever voice it if ADV has it. Though I can dream can't I?

Yet the series totally ignores what made DMC great except in the first episode, the action.

Quote:
This is a Madhouse production. Only Production IG , Kyoto Animation, and Ghibli are consistently slightly better imo. Frankly, I hope that Madhouse gives us another DMC series. I think that they did a good job.
Look, we're obviously never gonna agree on this. I thought it was below average and a huge disappointment considering how long I'd been pinning for a DMC anime series. I never really asked for THAT many ingame mechanics (though a Stinger at some point would have been badass). DT, more use of the sword...quite frankly, better fights in general. They could have had all that slice-of-life stuff and mixed in some crazy action scenes. They didn't. Not to mention I found most of the episode pointless with the exception of a few novel references.

In fact, the thing I liked best about this series werethe novel references. We got Dane's love of strawberry sundaes and glimmer at his Tony Regrave alias.

I'm surprised they replaced Enzo with that Morrison guy. Unlilke the rest of the novel cast, Enzo is still in canon thanks to the manga. So why remove him? Did they think some old guy with a mustache was better than a chubby Italian? Seeing Dante's human partner from the novels, Grue, animated would have shown us another side of Dante. Hell, they could have modified Nell's story so that she was still alive and helping Dante (and Lady now) with any gun problems. A modified-for-canon Gilver would have made a kickass final enemy for Dante with how much he tried to ruin Dante's life in the novel.
Old 2007-09-20, 14:53   Link #327
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Lol this was a fun action series. I just liked seeing things die. Looks like there could be another season as well.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-22, 23:45   Link #328
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
What fanservice? Unless you mean the moe bait Patty. What story? Slice of life series don't leave much for story. It's more about characters, which is one of the few things I think they got right. There's a good chance the game's VA's won't be able to ever voice it if ADV has it. Though I can dream can't I?
This series was loaded with fanservice. We got to see their weapons down to the writing on the guns. We got a glimpse of Dante's other swords. We got to see him eat strawberry ice cream. We got to see a statue of Sparda. People got to see Lady strip in ep. 12....

Moe bait? Patty? Nah, by the end of the series she should get her membership card for the Loli Anime Character Club. (She looked and acted like she was getting close to 13 by the end of the series.) Can't you see that he's raising his future wife? She's doing the wife thing including complaining about him junking up the place and he's ignoring her. That was a cute couple verbal exchange in ep. 11 ending with the mop hitting his head. Not to mention that he was pissed off when she didn't come back. It was so sad that she gave in at the end and started cleaning again. She should get some tips from her mother imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
In fact, the thing I liked best about this series werethe novel references. We got Dane's love of strawberry sundaes and glimmer at his Tony Regrave alias.

I'm surprised they replaced Enzo with that Morrison guy. Unlilke the rest of the novel cast, Enzo is still in canon thanks to the manga. So why remove him? Did they think some old guy with a mustache was better than a chubby Italian? Seeing Dante's human partner from the novels, Grue, animated would have shown us another side of Dante. Hell, they could have modified Nell's story so that she was still alive and helping Dante (and Lady now) with any gun problems. A modified-for-canon Gilver would have made a kickass final enemy for Dante with how much he tried to ruin Dante's life in the novel.

But the novels took place before the female game characters were on the scene. People want to see Lady and Trish (fanservice for the gamers). Besides, anime usually doesn't portray obese characters in a positive light so scratch Enzo. Maybe if they do another series we can see Vergil as a flashback.

This Dante seems more grounded in the human world (more moral support) than the novel version which is better for fighting enemies in an anime imo. He got over the bad stuff, has his compass set and slays demons as an indestructible being imo.

If there is another season, I hope that Patty is aged so that when another touching emotional scene occurs we can chant "Get a room guys!" and not feel guilty. Patty's loli evolution was so funny to watch imo.

Last edited by orion; 2007-09-22 at 23:55.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 00:55   Link #329
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
But the novels took place before the female game characters were on the scene. People want to see Lady and Trish (fanservice for the gamers). Besides, anime usually doesn't portray obese characters in a positive light so scratch Enzo. Maybe if they do another series we can see Vergil as a flashback.
I said they would have to modify it so that those characters work in current canon (i.e. Nell maybe fixing Lady's guns). Was that not clear enough with what I said about Gilver being a demonic clone of Vergil instead of the actual thing?

Quote:
Besides, anime usually doesn't portray obese characters in a positive light so scratch Enzo.
I fail to see how an old guy who barely does anything is an improvment. At least Enzo was entertaining with how Dante left him pulling hairs. And besides, they could have made him lose some weight. This is after DMC1 after all. The manga's before DMC3 and there's a 10 year timeskip between the two. Plenty of time for Dante to have heckled him into hitting the weights

*sighs* Watching all the recent DMC4 trailers outshine the series with just a few minutes of footage isn't helping

And I despise Patty so I won't touch the rest
Old 2007-09-23, 01:01   Link #330
Ancient Death
Lonely without Suigintou

I didn't know there was a show on Devil May Cry...as an anime? Of course, I know about the video games but as an anime show? Why didn't I heard of this before? T_T
Ancient Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 01:21   Link #331
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Angel View Post
I didn't know there was a show on Devil May Cry...as an anime? Of course, I know about the video games but as an anime show? Why didn't I heard of this before? T_T
You didn't miss much. Though I would recommend the 1st episode at least
Old 2007-09-23, 03:28   Link #332
hipeach

Quote:
Maybe if another series is planned, his foe is stronger, and he is fighting in another dimension, we'll see DT in all its glory.
What stronger foe? he has already beaten Mundus, the Overlord of Hell, and now he has beaten Abigail no sweat. Of course they can always put Jehovah as his next foe
Old 2007-09-23, 14:42   Link #333
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipeach View Post
What stronger foe? he has already beaten Mundus, the Overlord of Hell, and now he has beaten Abigail no sweat. Of course they can always put Jehovah as his next foe
Well isn't there 4 top demons left according to ep. 12? Maybe one of them will be dumb enough to go against him.
Old 2007-09-23, 15:24   Link #334
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Well isn't there 4 top demons left according to ep. 12? Maybe one of them will be dumb enough to go against him.
If Beriel is any indication, seems like they'll be bosses in DMC4. He did call himself the lord of the flames of hell or something like that.
Old 2007-09-28, 02:12   Link #335
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
Moe bait? Patty? Nah, by the end of the series she should get her membership card for the Loli Anime Character Club. (She looked and acted like she was getting close to 13 by the end of the series.) Can't you see that he's raising his future wife? She's doing the wife thing including complaining about him junking up the place and he's ignoring her. That was a cute couple verbal exchange in ep. 11 ending with the mop hitting his head. Not to mention that he was pissed off when she didn't come back. It was so sad that she gave in at the end and started cleaning again. She should get some tips from her mother imo.
When you put it that way... Yes, she is moe bait.

Sorry, but her inclusion in the series feels mostly jarring to me. If they wanted to include a loli character in the DMC cosmos that badly, they could've done it in a less trite way that fits with the general vibe of the story. Thank god she doesn't appear in DMC4. (Trish and Lady? Yes.)
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-28, 07:33   Link #336
orion

But DMC4 is for game players, whereas this title is for anime viewers (Japanese DVD buying viewers). 2 different viewing populations in some respects. Patty wouldn't fit in a gaming title aimed for an American audience centered on violence. However, Patty does fit in an plot-driven anime title trying to humanize the characters. If it wasn't for Patty, Dante wouldn't have been "saved" from his demonic side just like in "Beauty and the Beast". Lady also gets to show her human side via Patty interactions. Trish was the only one not interacting with Patty and remains aloof (a loner) imo.
Old 2007-09-28, 11:53   Link #337
kujoe
from head to heel

But then, they are splitting the audience after all.

Also, my point was she doesn't fit at all when you put it that way. The enjoyment you get from her character is mostly due to her moe appeal.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-28, 11:58   Link #338
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
But then, they are splitting the audience after all.

Also, my point was she doesn't fit at all when you put it that way. The enjoyment you get from her character is mostly due to her moe appeal.
they raped the IP to market it better, nothing new in that hollywood dose it daily, anime dose it to a point but tis more of what they can get away with for TV most of the time its easier to tone down with new stories than rebuilding off old and such.

Still I find it sad they went int eh direction they did for it and can not stand the generic bland remains left.

The only thing of note they tried to show dante's life outside of fighting I'll give them props for that but ti was still pretty weak.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-28, 18:23   Link #339
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
But DMC4 is for game players, whereas this title is for anime viewers (Japanese DVD buying viewers). 2 different viewing populations in some respects.
So you admit they screwed over the game's fans.
Old 2007-10-01, 22:03   Link #340
orion

Only the game fans who can't adapt to seeing moe/loli characters added to their title to sell the DVDs.

If you can adapt, then you weren't screwed.

If they do another series, I hope that they explore Dante's psych a bit more. I think that we barely touched the surface with him.

I do sympathize with you guys. I was a little miffed about Witchblade having a MILF and not Sara. MILF + kid sells more discs in Japan than Sara would.

Tags
action, madhouse