AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-07, 17:50   Link #21
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
It's unfortunate this show doesn't have much publicity
The name is rather unpronouncable. 8)

And how do you contract it Japanese-otaku-style? Bakiiro? Bakukikairo? Bakkiro?
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 17:59   Link #22
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Bakukikairo? Bakkiro?
How about just Baro? I am desperate to hear the OP song.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 18:26   Link #23
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

OMFG, just watched the credits!

Yasuomi Umetsu on the OP? Yuki Kajiura singing a good song for a change? And... Koichi Yamadera voicing the man who is probably the coolest Japanese historical figure ever... Ryouma Sakamoto!

I CANNOT wait to see Sakamoto and his Smith & Wesson revolver in a serious adaptation of the Meiji Restoration story!
Old 2006-10-07, 19:14   Link #24
evil-samurai

Great first episode, still it could of been better but I'm glad I didn't just just my hopes up for nothing =) The last scene of the opening is getting me wondering.. Arrr >.> I wonder how long it will be before they show anything like that. The Voice acting was Fantastic! minus the horrible english, which acullaty wasn't too bad, but the lines.. and the way they were speaking was laughable, at least to me.

Really need the subs for a show like this, hopfully some group will pick it up =) Cant wait to find out more about his sword...
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 19:17   Link #25
wao
OK.

I think they didn't show much of him in this episode, really... We heard a bit of his voiceover when Akizuki was angsting on a cliff for a while, and later for a few seconds just before the show ended (where they show him being killed, and the narration says that all this took place 3 months after he died).

I think Kakunojou's troupe is intending to make a play based off him or something, though (although I'm just guessing here).

As for Yasuomi Umetsu, he was most probably there during the last bit - I was wondering why the eye drawn for the closeup of Kakunojou looked so familiar, but of course it had to be Umetsu's particular way of drawing eyes...

And the name - before I heard anything else besides the name about this show (and I somehow managed to miss the 'Bakumatsu Kikansetsu' bit) I thought this was some moe show, really It reminded me of HaniHani...
I guess the Japanese just leave out the "Bakumatsu Kikansetsu" bit and call it 'Iroha' or something. It makes a pretty good tongue twister for people learning Japanese though! Irohanihaheto!
If it helps, though, Cruzz pointed out to me that it is the first line of a famous Buddhist poem called the Iroha which uses every single syllable of the Japanese alphabet at least once, and is hence used as an ordering system in itself. It's very fascinating! Note that this was used until the Meiji Restoration...
I think the first line on its own talks about bright flowers that fade (and the next line talks about them falling inevitably). Or something like that. I don't even have a proper grasp of modern Japanese, let alone an old poem written in old syntax and kana...
Old 2006-10-07, 19:34   Link #26
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

The episode itself was rather good.

I would hesitate to call it "movie quality" (be reasonable, it's not even close), but it's definitely somewhere in the upper tiers of what is possible to achieve on a TV series budget.

I love them Bakumatsu stories ever since Kenshin and it would be pretty good if we meet more historical characters.

Besides brief shots of Ryouma Sakamoto (on a boat, announcing the formation of Kaientai, the first japanese company which would later become Mitsubishi Corp.) we also meet the great lord Saigo Takamori (the large man in the very beginning). Saigo Takamori was perhaps the last of the great Japanese feudal lords and one of the leaders of the Meiji Restoration. For those who watched "Last Samurai" with Tom Cruise, the characted played by Ken Watanabe is based on Saigo.

Oh, and doesn't it seem like reverse traps are all the rage these days? Hardly a series goes without one. 8)
Old 2006-10-07, 20:23   Link #27
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Oh, and doesn't it seem like reverse traps are all the rage these days? Hardly a series goes without one. 8)
Just to be sure... is a reverse trap a female disguised as a male?
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 20:25   Link #28
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

That would be correct.

BTW, what do you guys think would be a good way to translate the title?

幕末 is obviously Bakumatsu. It's not translated, since the word has almost entered English language. "Restoration" or "Revolution" is a fairly accurate translation.
機関説 is a bit confusing. The best I could translate it as is "Theoretical Agency" or "Ideological Organization" (wow, EXCEL SAGA alert!) 8)
いろはにほへと was explained above.

Still, I just don't see how this comes together. "Irohanihoheto: The Ideological Organization of the Revolution" perhaps?
Old 2006-10-07, 21:23   Link #29
wao
OK.

Maybe it's actually split like... "Bakumatsu-kikan setsu"? As in, "Theory of the Bakumatsu (Revolution) Organisation" or something like that. (I realise I'm replying to every other post in this thread...)
Old 2006-10-07, 21:59   Link #30
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo Send a message via Skype™ to Jinsoo
I watched the promo for this series a few weeks ago and I thought, "This could be promising."

Then I watched last night and I was very impressed. The OP really got me hooked in XD

It was a good first ep and it could only improve later on :3

I was kinda surprised they actually made them speak English :x It wasn't that horrible, at least I knew what they were saying XD

I've been waiting for awhile for a series like this. Ever since RK~ D;

I can't wait to see it subbed and for the next episode :3
Old 2006-10-07, 22:24   Link #31
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Reverse traps are FTW. Now I have to watch this show ... SUB, COME OUT PLARZ!
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-09, 13:26   Link #32
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

Finally watched the first episode.
The animation is great. I am in love with the male lead already. He's so cool. When his eyes glow, it reminded me of Saya/Diva in Blood+.

Btw, I have one question. Is that guy who is trying to steal the letter in the beginning same as the guy in the troupe? They looked alike, but they dressed differently. Perhaps they are related somehow?

Also, what's the deal with Sakamoto Ryoma? What's he famous for? Pardon my ignorance in Japanese history.

Edit: Nevermind, just checked wiki, and found out who he was.
DoReMiFaSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-09, 20:15   Link #33
Aniki Meiski

The guy who stole the secret letter was Ibaraki Soutetsu, the playwrite and the head of the playhouse. All the others call him Sensei.

Akizuki Yojiro goes around to hunt the rather metaphysical "Head" (Hasha no Kubi). His eyes glow when he sense the head. He used to be Ryoma's bodyguard but failed to protect him one year ago in the Ikedaya Incident (1867). Ryoma was assasinated by members of the Shinsengumi in the Ikedaya club house. The last scene of episode 1 showed the theatre troupe staging the Ikedaya Incident, which happened 1 year ago.

Ryoma is the father of Japanese Navy. The Shiba character in Innocent Venus models himself after him. O-Ryo was Ryoma's wife. Ryoma is voiced by Koichi Yamadera. The playhouse is also staging a play on Ryoma and O-Ryo, with the character Shiranui playing Ryoma and Yuyama (the woman) playing O-Ryo.

Bakumatsu refers to the last days of the Shogunate, around 1853-1868, from Perry's black ship to the Boshin War/Meiji Restoration. Baku, the curtain symbolizes the Shogun's rule, matsu means the end.

Kikansetsu is a play on Tennou Kikansetsu, a Westernized political ideology based on Jellinek's State theory by placing the Emperor as the supreme source of sovereignty without resorting to putting emphasis on the mythological origins of the Emperor. So Kikansetsu is an ideology on national sovereignty.

Iroha is "ABC", an ordering of kana. There was a clever monk who composed a poem using all kanas only once. Irohanihohiheto written in modern language would be iro wa nioi e to. Iroha is frequently used in denoting seat rows in theater. It's not surprising that the show takes place in a play house.
Aniki Meiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-09, 21:59   Link #34
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
He used to be Ryoma's bodyguard but failed to protect him one year ago in the Ikedaya Incident (1867). Ryoma was assasinated by members of the Shinsengumi in the Ikedaya club house.
This is not correct. I think you are confusing this show with Peacemaker Kurogane or perhaps Kenshin.

Ryouma was never at Ikedaya. The Ikedaya affair happened in 1864, when Shinsengumi prevented a plot by Ishin Shishi radicals to burn Kyoto and kidnap the emperor.

The events of "Iroha" take place in the winter of 1867, 3 months after Ryoma's murder and almost on the eve of the Boshin War, in which the Shogunate will lose to the pro-imperial forces and the Meiji Restoration will be complete.

I assume we'll see at least the beginnings of the war.

Those, who want to learn more about all of this, I refer to these articles on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryoma_Sakamoto
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiji_Restoration
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Tokugawa_shogunate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boshin_War
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinsengumi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikedaya_Jiken

Last edited by MrProphet; 2006-10-09 at 22:10.
Old 2006-10-10, 05:47   Link #35
Aniki Meiski

You are right. I got mixed up. Ryoma was assasinated in Omiya Inn in Kyoto, not Ikedaya Inn. I was rumored to be Shinsengumi.
Aniki Meiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 19:11   Link #36
Kaizoku no Rinja

I actually am joining this forum for this series specifically. X3 Since it seems like people are explaining how they got into it, might as well tack on my own story? Hehe. I'm a history major, focusing on Japan. Someone on another forum I frequent posted a summary and screencaps for it, and anything with the name "Bakumatsu" almost immediately has my attention. Saw the first episode, loved it, and snooped around on the 'net until I could find more information on it. I'd love to see this subbed (fill in what I couldn't quite figure out with my mediocre Japanese listening skills).

I agree that the animation is fantastic - and I too was reminded of Samurai Champloo, and even a little of Witch Hunter Robin. Akizuki is too cool for words, the other characters are pretty nifty as well, and I like the voices (except the English! It totally threw me off for a second since I was trying too hard to concentrate on the Japanese, haha. While I agree that it was rather amusing, it was a far better attempt at speaking it than I've heard in a while in anime.). Love the music, too. I'm really looking forward to the next episode. :3
Kaizoku no Rinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 23:24   Link #37
FeelLicks

Subs probably won't be out for a while; the raws are horrible. Anyone know if this airs on tv at a later date after the initial online streaming?
FeelLicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-12, 06:40   Link #38
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

This show is broadcast on the internet website GyaO, which is basically an equivalent of the Bandai Channel.

Thus, you can pretty much expect this show to be very hard to get, same as FLAG or Wings of Rean.
Old 2006-10-12, 06:53   Link #39
wao
OK.

Ah, but if I"m not wrong, the difference is that Bandai Channel was not free... while GyaO is (if I'm not wrong!)

I think even us foreigners could give it a try - but I believe you need to get Windows Media Player v9 and above (Japanese version). Unless, of course, they block foreign IPs (which would be sad).

The first ep came out pretty fast... I just wish the rest would too >_>
Old 2006-10-12, 09:10   Link #40
FeelLicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Ah, but if I"m not wrong, the difference is that Bandai Channel was not free... while GyaO is (if I'm not wrong!)

I think even us foreigners could give it a try - but I believe you need to get Windows Media Player v9 and above (Japanese version). Unless, of course, they block foreign IPs (which would be sad).
Heh, I was going to try that myself and cap it haha. And yeah, GyaO is free.
FeelLicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
historical, supernatural