AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-14, 20:16   Link #61
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauldron26 View Post
i am still in awe nobody has subbed bakumatsu, code geass or ayakashi. WTF??
Yeah, precisely the three I had in mind. All three have groups listed on Andrew's page, so at least there is that. Though I'm not too crazy about the prospect of Shinsen becoming Ayakashi Ayashi's only subbers. I'm sure gg will do a great job with Code GEASS though.

Physics, you're right that there's nothing I/we can do. And I have enough to be grateful for in the past anyway (mahou and Fantastic Children come to mind right away). The silly thing is that these new/unknown groups that are trying to make a name for themselves subbing DN and Kanon would be much better appreciated subbing a show that no one else is doing.
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 20:24   Link #62
White Manju Bun
Sempa.......
*Author

Im sure itll be subbed sooner or later, Chevalier wasnt picked up right away but it is frustrarting that Death Note and Kanon and D.Grey have been picked up but they are also more anticipated animes. I loved the first epi of Bakumastu even tho the weird references to naruto were odd but cool. The last sequence espc was awesome.
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 21:00   Link #63
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Well, episode 2 was excellent, just as everyone has mentioned before.

I did find it amuzing that Akizuki reminds me so much of Himura Kenshin (the OVA period hitokiri, not the later one) and Hario is such a quintessential Kenshin-style villain. In fact, the fight in the temple square and the later fight in the marshes were really-really Kenshiny.

The thing I found odd, though, is the fact that Kakunojo's troupe wears weapons. As you might know, in the Edo Period, nobody expect the samurai and feudal retainers were allowed to wear long-bladed weapons. Certainly not commoners like these kabuki theater players. It's understandable when Soutetsu has a sword where he is in his kickass alter ego from ep. 1, but here they were, in plain sight.

Somewhat of a miss there.

I love the ending song, by the way. When's the single coming out?

Another thing I love are the manners of the kabuki players. Such flowery speach, such theatrical mannerisms. Very interesting to listen to that bunch.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 23:21   Link #64
FeelLicks

There are several groups that are doing those shows, don't worry about it. If you guys are having trouble getting the raws from SH and NY I can always put out a torrent for you guys I guess since I get it pretty much as soon as they're out.
FeelLicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 23:48   Link #65
sei

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelLicks View Post
There are several groups that are doing those shows, don't worry about it. If you guys are having trouble getting the raws from SH and NY I can always put out a torrent for you guys I guess since I get it pretty much as soon as they're out.
Oh yes,please do.I couldn't thank you enough.
sei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 05:22   Link #66
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk View Post
As I read all these positive reviews, I become frustrated at the fact that, so far at least, NONE of the three series I am most interested in this season have yet been subbed (Bakumatsu being one of them). And yet Death Note and Kanon have been subbed by numerous groups each. I know that people complain about this every single season, but stilll - it's so stupid.
It is very frustrating. But I think Bakumatsu (and Ayakashi too) will defeat most casual subbers. I don't watch Kanon and its ilk, but I doubt it's going to provide much of translation headache as Bakumatsu. There's also the accuracy of historical facts (names, places, cultural aspects) to consider and the use of dialects (as I understand from comments in this thread). Whoever does sub it will either a) take their time and do a very competant job or b) rush it and gets a lot of the details wrong. Personally I hope for a).

Having said that we just have to face the fact that anything with lolis in will get subbed before anything of quality. Simply because the current generation of 'anime fans' find their entry point into the medium by way of H-games and such. Oops, I went off topic...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 05:35   Link #67
wao
OK.

It helps that things like Kanon have an existing source material which makes it a lot easier for the translators as if they can't figure out what the character is speaking, they can work from the game script or whatever. The older setting here doesn't help, and it'd probably be a headache for the editors too. (To make up for this it always helps - or rather, it should be a must - to read the official site and the synopses)

Which is why I made myself learn Japanese.

I suppose the time when most anime fans came in liking good ol' action anime has gone the way of the time when fans came in liking mecha shows from the 80's... I guess all the momentum is really in that area, what with the very active imagesharing community and probably the greater interaction between Japanese and foreign fans. Now I'm going offtopic too, yay...

While I'm here I just noticed Akizuki's seiyuu is the same as Kei Kurono's from GANTZ... another show with Naoyuki Onda
Old 2006-10-15, 06:07   Link #68
FeelLicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sei View Post
Oh yes,please do.I couldn't thank you enough.
I believe the raws are out Friday's so I'll post here when I have it from now on and put a link to the torrent.
FeelLicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 06:58   Link #69
wao
OK.

For anyone who's interested in figuring out what the troupe members are saying in their introduction to Akizuki in episode 1, I found this on 2ch...

(Kakunojou)
高座より御免を被りまして御挨拶申し上げ奉りまする
西の海から東の浜へ 渡るカモメに潮風荒く
匕首忍ばす懐に 愛も朽ちたさ板の上
赤く咲くのは彼岸花 それより赤いさだめの芝居
座長相務めます 遊山赫乃丈に御座りまする

(Shiranui Kozou)
さあて続いて控えしは
十六夜照らす名月も 雲に隠れる色男
お嬢吉三か弁天か 宿無し根無しと肩書きも
呼ばれて久しい不知火小僧たぁ あ俺のこった

(Ebisu no Zukin)
次いで連なる面隠し
忍ぶ姿も人の目に うつるは鬼か白波か
夜に笑って日に泣いて 心は見せぬ
恵比須の頭巾 見参

(Zagashira)
続いて控えし破れ傘
まごうてみれば怪我のもと 身の生業も慣れぬまま
十歳重ねりゃ誉れ傘 一座まとめの座頭に御座います

(Kakashi no Keishin)
さて どんじりに控えしは
鵺も烏も恐れてとまる 安達ヶ原のつっかいぼう
天を睨んで地を掴む 案山子の恵信

I think some of them are pronounced in somewhat outdated ways. For example I can't figure out exactly how Zagashira reads 十歳 - tatase?
But gosh, talk about REALLY flowery language! I love the alliteration of Ebisu's speech, it sounds very cool.

I don't understand all of it though. I don't get Zagashira's speech (homaregasa?) especially.

Interestingly, the 耀 (you) in Youjirou's name and the 赫 (kaku) in Kakunojou's name seem to have roughly the same meaning (brilliance, shining) I'm quite interested in reading the Newtype scans related to this anime, seems like they give out extra information in those.
Old 2006-10-15, 08:11   Link #70
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
I'm quite interested in reading the Newtype scans related to this anime, seems like they give out extra information in those.
These are not great scans (my scanner is nearly as old as me), but feel free to have a look. They're big files though 350k each, so I put them on SpeedyShare.

http://www.speedyshare.com/465963911.html

http://www.speedyshare.com/497854579.html
Old 2006-10-15, 08:44   Link #71
wao
OK.

Thank you so much for uploading them; but are you sure you uploaded it properly? Or is there some particular way of accessing them? I can download the file but it acts as a placeholder; I can't open the jpg. (I'm using Firefox and did a right click -> save link as)

EDIT: Ooh, I didn't realise that one of the guys in the first episode, Yamaoka Tesshuu, really existed!

Last edited by wao; 2006-10-15 at 09:01.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 09:04   Link #72
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Thank you so much for uploading them; but are you sure you uploaded it properly? Or is there some particular way of accessing them? I can download the file but it acts as a placeholder; I can't open the jpg. (I'm using Firefox and did a right click -> save link as)
Right click -> save link as should work. I've zipped them up, so try http://www.speedyshare.com/510956257.html instead.
Old 2006-10-15, 09:18   Link #73
Aniki Meiski

(Kakunojou)
高座より御免を被りまして御挨拶申し上げ奉りまする
西の海から東の浜へ 渡るカモメに潮風荒く
匕首忍ばす懐に 愛も朽ちたさ板の上
赤く咲くのは彼岸花 それより赤いさだめの芝居
座長相務めます 遊山赫乃丈に御座りまする

(Shiranui Kozou)
さあて続いて控えしは
十六夜照らす名月も 雲に隠れる色男
お嬢吉三か弁天か 宿無し根無しと肩書きも
呼ばれて久しい不知火小僧たぁ あ俺のこった

(Ebisu no Zukin)
次いで連なる面隠し
忍ぶ姿も人の目に うつるは鬼か白波か
夜に笑って日に泣いて 心は見せぬ
恵比須の頭巾 見参

(Zagashira)
続いて控えし破れ傘
まごうてみれば怪我のもと 身の生業も慣れぬまま
十歳重ねりゃ誉れ傘 一座まとめの座頭に御座います

(Kakashi no Keishin)
さて どんじりに控えしは
鵺も烏も恐れてとまる 安達ヶ原のつっかいぼう
天を睨んで地を掴む 案山子の恵信

It's these Kabuki lines makes it very hard to translate into English.

十六夜照らす名月も 雲に隠れる色男 - He is the lady lover (ikemen, nimaime) eclipsed by the clouds and the full moon of the 16th night. Full moon is probably the main character of the show, Akazuki as he carries the Getsuruito sword 月涙刀.
お嬢吉三,弁天 - Ojo Kichisa, Benten Kozo, tranvestite thieve characters from Kabuki
肩書きも - Visual pun, he has a tattoo on his shoulder
白波 - thieve, kabuki lingo
破れ傘 - Tattered umbrella, probably from jidaigeki 破れ傘刀舟悪人狩り
誉れ傘 - Honored umbrella, not sure what this really means. Probably means going from yaburegasa to homaregasa with age.
座頭 - Head of the troope
案山子 - Scarecrow (voiced by the same guy as FLAG's little John (Jan))
彼岸花 - Very red flower. Symbolizes sad memories. Red makeup symbolizes the side of good in Kabuki, whereas blue makeup stands for bad people..
Aniki Meiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 09:27   Link #74
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Right click -> save link as should work. I've zipped them up, so try http://www.speedyshare.com/510956257.html instead.
Hm, it still doesn't work strangely. I downloaded the file but it's empty. As in when you open it up there's either nothing inside or it simply doesn't show (in the case of the .jpgs)

Thanks for the translations Aniki Meiski. I just found out about the red makeup vs blue makeup thing a short while ago myself. The red setup is called beniguma? At least it gives the makeup more significance. Now it feels less out-of-the-blue (or red, or whatever) and less of a gimmick.

It's kind of interesting seeing that there are a lot of people who watched the second ep and felt the same way I did about it...

P.S. This is soooooo cute!! Aww...
Old 2006-10-15, 09:54   Link #75
evil-samurai

Quote:
P.S. This is soooooo cute!! Aww...
Nice find Who-ever spent the short time on it did it done a excellent job to make it look like Akizuki =)

Not sure why you are having Problems with the Zip, worked fine for me. Anyway.. I though I'd load them up on ImageShack, cant have any problems viewing them there. Oh! and Sonhex, thanks for the scans =) (Even though I cant understand the writing the pictures are pretty! )

evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 10:15   Link #76
wao
OK.

Yay!!!! Thanks for putting the scans up. That's some pretty lovely pictures there...

Soutetsu certainly looks like he's going to play a major role in the show. That's very interesting and I can't wait to see what happens. So far he's kept himself shrouded in mystery and all...

So it looks like Akizuki was trained to be an "Eternal Assassin" from young and was 'given' that role.

It seems like the producers/creative staff wanted to use this show as an indirect way of making people reflect on the kind of life they're living now...

The second scan mentions the name of Akizuki's school of swordsmanship (or whatever you call it >_>) but the furigana is too small for me to read. It also says that after meeting Kakunojou, 身を寄せることになる... him? Depending on other people? Or is it the other way around (they depend on him as a bodyguard?)
Old 2006-10-15, 12:35   Link #77
Aniki Meiski

That's 海天藍真流 Kaiten Ranshin Ryuu.

身を寄せることになる means Akizuki ends up staying with the Yuyama's.
Aniki Meiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 15:40   Link #78
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

I haven't had a chance to watch the first episodes of this anime, but I wonder if there's any 'drawback' for someone that can turn him off from this anime. There doesn't seem to be any 'weird' designs (like Noein), or anything like that. And from what you people say, the animation is awesome...

Well, my main problem is, why nobody'd want to sub this? It's really a shame... While all these stupid and pointless game adaptations (I'm not talking about Kanon) get subbed, this has been left untouched. Does Ryousuke Takahashi have a curse or something, and nobody wants to sub his shows? (Ok, FLAG was subbed after one month + the subs are painfully slow) Even though I can understand simple shows with my japanese, this doesn't seem like one of them and I don't really like watching something without understanding everything that is said. So I won't watch it, and I'll wait until it gets subbed... one day.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 16:01   Link #79
Friera

Send a message via MSN to Friera
Any progress of someone who like to sub this? I can't wait...

Looks like many here enjoyed it. And it bothers me that I don't understand japansese.
Old 2006-10-15, 17:22   Link #80
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quajafrie View Post
I haven't had a chance to watch the first episodes of this anime, but I wonder if there's any 'drawback' for someone that can turn him off from this anime. There doesn't seem to be any 'weird' designs (like Noein), or anything like that. And from what you people say, the animation is awesome...
I can think of none. It has pretty much everything I look for in an anime - well-conceived story and setting, excellent character design, beautiful animation, gorgeous music, solid actors, tight direction, precision editing etc...

BTW the first dvd is release on 2007 1 26. Seems like an age to wait to get our hi-res fix. I'm salivating in anticipation of a dvd quality version of ep 1.

Tags
historical, supernatural