AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-09-28, 01:36   Link #21
Cloudnine
ロリ is life~

99% raw and mostly shows that fall in my strike zone or are recommend from peers.

the upcoming fall season will probably max out my bandwidth for a while ^^;;
Cloudnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 03:14   Link #22
domino
デレデレ

For me it goes something like this:

1) Find a giant list of the season's shows.

2) Look through official websites to weed out "unwatchables" -- stuff I know I won't be able to stand watching even one episode of (anime for really young kids, mecha, harem shows, anything with moe-style art)

3) Divide half of the rest of the shows into "meh", "might be good", or "OMG MUST WATCH". "Meh" stuff is usually generic sci-fi/magical/supernatural stuff, "might be good" is usually stuff I'm only in for the character designs, and "OMG MUST WATCH" is usually stuff by a favorite studio (BONES) or artist or something I was a fan of the manga to before it was animated.

4) Watch 1~2 episodes of subs from the top of my interest list. I mainly take into account: plot, artistic appeal, animation studio, seiyuu cast.

This is what works for me. I usually end up with about 2~3 picks per season that are good enough to watch to the end, since I'm picky and my tastes usually cancel out over half the anime that comes out per season...
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 03:18   Link #23
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Phase 1 :

Check out magazine scans and website informations on the upcoming animes. From there, I divide my list into several categories from "sycroninity with inner-fanboy : will watch even when if it turns into Gundoh mk.2 to "urgh...bad impression", then based on intuition, proven recognition, etc, list down which RAW will be given how many episodes of judgement before acceptance.

Phase 2 :

Take a look at the staff list. Takes a deeper look at the unhyped anime in search for jewels often ignored by overhyped anime. Like Saiunkoku Monogatari to Welcome to NHK, etc. Animes that seem deep will be given effort of translation of their descriptions and summary.

Phase 3 :

Watch ALL Raws. And from the RAWs, I judge in accordance to the system where mediocre, but acceptable anime enters FANSUB ONLY section, where I diligently wait for the subs, animes that interest me A LOT, I watch their raws, stuff that looks like they have some potential, but due to tight schedule and uninteresting first 3-4 episodes will be chucked into the "awaiting appraisal from those who still watched and see if it turns out good later on", and those which look like cheap crap gets chuncked into the "will watch MUCH MUCH later when their VCDs are released locally." In the end, I suppose I will watch EVERYTHING.

Phase 4 :

Judging from speed of fansub releases, overall interest and improvement of particular animes, dissapointment of overhyped anime, sudden burst of interest in under-the-radar animes, my list of RAW and FANSUB shuffles, and animes from MUCH MUCH LATER may enter my main fray.

Phase 5 :

Stop watching fansub anime that has achieved my personal ranking value of 9.7/10 and above, and faithfully buy the originals. Animes that rank strongly or interest me will have their DVDs bought from 3 months to 3 years time depending on their quality. And animes which I ignored during the season will be bought in crappy VCD formats as my own stockpile of B-Grade Animes, which will be watched occasionally.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 10:22   Link #24
Lost

This forum really helps for me, especially this General Anime section, which is usually where all fansubbed series come to life as threads. I browse thru several and see what its about. If interesting, I mark it down as to watch. I rarely mark down more than 5 series a season (I only had HSnY and Utawarerumono marked down last season), so marathoning first episodes inst much of an issue. Still I prefer not too, It would confuse me; especially names, I'm very bad with Japanese names. Once I start on a series, I generally see it thru to the end; unless theres good reason otherwise: unsuitable plot/elements, lousy ending (mainly for starting finished series), series dropped by group etc. I rarely watch RAWs.

Oh, btw one thing I've learned during my time on ASf; never put off starting series with hell long japanese names.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-09-29 at 06:55.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote