AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-09-27, 23:43   Link #1
OmegaZEROCustom
The Alpha and the Omega

[GSD] Destiny Vol. 4 R1 DVD Review

Yep, its that time again. Volume 4 of GSD has come out and I'm all set to review it. As usual, I'm not commenting on the episodes since I see no real point in that since I've seen them a number of times already. Just the dub and translations, new character voices, and the overall quality of the DVD.

Once again, we have the Core Splendor cockpit as the main menu, with the music played during the Impulse docking scene in PHASE 1. It still has the background audio of the actual docking sound effects, which is annoying. Episodes on this disc are numbers 15-18, and extras consist of Textless Ending 2, which is of course the excellent Life Goes On. One minor disappointment with the textless version is it jumps right into it where the actual credits roll. I know that the fade in portions changed tones and speed while Life Goes On was in use, but I would like to have had just one of those intro portions left on it. Oh well, can't have it all. Also included are, once again, the trailers for GITS and Planetes. One small thing I noted about the menu is, and I think it was this way in Volume 3, the small area in the upper right of the menu, where the canopy window would be, has been changed to a clouded sky now that Minerva is on Earth. Nice touch from Bandai.

I don't like the way Athrun pronounces Murasame. I figured he would say it like they did for Four in the Zeta dub, that being Mur-AH-SAH-may. However, Athrun says it more like "Moo-ruh-SAH-may". Minor gripe, but it remains to be seen how others say it. I hope they at least keep it consistent.

Something I noticed that I hadn't seen before, but during Episode 15, when we see Carpentaria, there is a purple ZAKU being worked on outside a warehouse/hangar. Who does that ZAKU belong to? I'm pretty sure it's not the Babi we see a few moments later as Shinn walks around, and I figured a purple suit must belong to some important character, probably from Astray I'd assume.

The subs are hilarious when Vino and Youlant are talking about the Meer concert. Youlant is quoted as saying "Totally! You can tell that she has some pretty big boobs!", while he is dubbed as saying "Oh yeah! You can tell she's like, totally stacked!" I swear Youlant has some sort of breast fetish. I love it when the two of them start talking about how lucky Athrun is and how they could pull some cables out of Saviour, Athrun just says "I can still hear you." and they freak. The way Athrun says it is great.

Another great sub line is Shinn yelling at the girl during the mission breifing, he says "How dare you, bitch!". Dubbed, the line is "Who the hell does she think she is?!"

The error with the Saviour showing the Unsubdued Nuclear Drive OS instead of the Unrestricted Network Drive OS is still present in PHASE 18. I can't recall if this was supposed to be fixed in the R2 Japanese DVD's, so if anyone that has them can confirm this, that'd be great.

Auel is still a little to nasally for my taste, but Stella is growing on me a lot. They took away the "airhead" tone she had (even though Auel calls her an airhead) and gave her just a calm, quiet tone that makes her seem more crazy than anything. Also, the voices for the Extendeds give them miore of a brother-sister tone than Sting and Auel treating Stella like a total dumbass. I am really liking Luna. The way she acts when she checks out the Saviour is funny. She reminds me of a kid in a candy store. Neo is good too because he still has that little bit of Mwu in his voice, but yet, he isn't quite Mwu, which is exactly how he should sound.

For those who hated the Lacus songs in SEED, for the sake of your sanity, avoid the dubbed Quiet Night CE 73. I swear, by the time it finally ended, my ears were about to start bleeding. Not only does it sound NOTHING liek Lacus/Meer, it's just terribly sung in general. It doesn't even have the fast paced feel the original Quiet Night CE 73 had...it feels flat...and thats saying something considering Meer's...err..."bouncy' nature. lol. Oh, and the subs don't even keep up with the song at all from what I can tell. Plus, we keep having to hear it running the in background as Andy, Murrue and Kira talk up to the point where Cagalli starts talking about Durrandal.

SO, after all 4 episodes, not a bad set. Some minor irritations, one major bit of head trauma in the form of Quiet Night CE 73, but its ok. Destiny is pulling into the parts I start to consider the slow part now, so its about to get less interesting IMO, but I'll still keep going and reviewing. At least the first boxset is getting closer to full. By January, it'll be done. As another minor note, if you own the artbox, you may note that unlike Volumes 1-3, the cover does not match to the mobile suit that goes behind it in the box. While Luna's ZAKU is red and the picture was green, the Volume 4 cover is Abyss while the Volume 5 cover is Gaia, which are reversed on the box. Since I think Volume 6 is Rey and his ZAKU, it will continue since slot 6 is Saviour. Anyway, until November comes, thats it for my review of the latest Destiny DVD release.

Last edited by OmegaZEROCustom; 2006-09-28 at 03:22.
OmegaZEROCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-28, 02:24   Link #2
Obi-Wan
Mr. Folgers! Wassup, suh?
*Fansubber

If they're following the R2 covers, Vol 6 is Athrun/Savior so the box isn't wrong. The only R2 cover with Rey has Rey and Legend, not his ZAKU.
Old 2006-09-28, 02:42   Link #3
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

if your going to comment on dubs and translations you need to spell check your own posts first.
i think filtering profanity from anime is a good thing. this genereation already has enough kids growing up who talk like they were raised in a trash can. subs and dubs do need to stay consistent though, thats unprofessional if there are large dsicrepencies. anyway, nice review.
Old 2006-09-28, 03:19   Link #4
OmegaZEROCustom
The Alpha and the Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan
If they're following the R2 covers, Vol 6 is Athrun/Savior so the box isn't wrong. The only R2 cover with Rey has Rey and Legend, not his ZAKU.
Ah, well, either way, the box still has the Abyss and Gaia mixed up, but then again, for all we know, Bandai never intended for them to match up and the first 3 just were coincidence. As far as the covers go, I haven't seen most of the R2 covers and I could swear AnimeOnDVD had the Volume 6 cover posted but now I can't find it so maybe I'm just thinking of Vol. 5. I'd be interested in seeing some of the other R2 covers, as well as seeing which one might get dropped, since I believe they had 13 volumes while R1 only has 12.

Quote:
if your going to comment on dubs and translations you need to spell check your own posts first.
i think filtering profanity from anime is a good thing. this genereation already has enough kids growing up who talk like they were raised in a trash can. subs and dubs do need to stay consistent though, thats unprofessional if there are large dsicrepencies. anyway, nice review.
Funny, aside from the occasional "teh' which is because I tend to write the review as I watch the episodes and I usually miss "teh", "tehre", and "liek", the only mistake I can find I made would be "bachground" versus background. Besides, its not like it is totally unreadable and unless I start getting paid for these, I could give a shit about a few spelling mistakes...Guess I'll go back and fix it and make it all professional-like . Sorry, pet peeve of mine when minor spelling mistakes get treated like they make a post unreadable...could be a lot worse.

Anyway, as far as the filtering of profanity, I'm not entirely sure where you got it that I was commenting on the filtering, only the differences in the subs and dub, which could mean we have a true subbing job and not dubtitles. I'm not going to comment on the "raised in a trash can" issue other than to say I hardly think one anime can be faulted, especially one that has no TV airing. Besides, this is a war these characters are in. Everything can't be touchy-feely. If I were in the situations like they are in, I'd be saying far worse things during battle. Thats why I liked the SEED-Fansubs translation from PHASE 28 when Shinn yells "Don't fuck with me!". Gave it a fine bit of authenticity for me, even if it might have been a mistranslation.
OmegaZEROCustom is offline   Reply With Quote