AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-10-22, 22:11   Link #201
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Playstation systems are good only because of good dev support, and thus, good libraries. Sony sucks as a company. I went through 3 PSX systems. I bought my PS2 in 2004. It is showing signs of breaking down (can't play DVD movies well anymore). I expect PS3 to have problems, definately. High defect rate, I'm sure. And also, I think developer support will be more spread out this new gen, rather than most of the major support focused on PS3. Heck, already we have Square Enix making games for all the systems, plus Kojima wants to make a Wii title after MGS 4, and SE says that Dragon Quest 9 for the Wii is a possibility.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 22:52   Link #202
DarkWarrior
Anaheim Electronics
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
I'm definitely interested in the PS3's warranty to see how much faith Sony has in their system. I believe the Wii's warranty is for one year, while the Xbox 360 has a really short 90 days like the Xbox and original PS2.
DarkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 22:54   Link #203
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!
 
Join Date: May 2003
Age: 35
Er, anyone in this day who denies that the PS2 has had major technical flaws is either extremely lucky while at the same time isolated from the majority of the PS2 playing populace, or they're willfully ignoring it.

Sony has admitted the technical faults of the first several versions of the PS2, and has gone through two major lawsuits over the issue.

The original Playstation also suffered well documented issues, such as a common overheating problem. I believe this discussion has come up in this very forum before, with many of the same players, it's disheartening to see memories are so short.

On the issue of the PS brand's undeniably excellent third party support, and the questionable argument that Nintendo lacks adult oriented games, I'd say that both of these issues are a self-fullfilling cycle, perpetuated by the market.

Conker's Bad Fur Day, Killer 7, Eternal Darkness, Beyond Good and Evil....Nintendo is not pushing away adult oriented games anymore. Nintendo realizes there is a very large market for such titles, and they were cutting themselves off from that market in the SNES days.

For various reasons, Sony has been able to gain a substantial lead in developer support, and once a console has such a strong lead, the gap only grows wider since gamers flock to the console they percieve as having the most support, and developers in turn support the console that the most gamers buy.

Sony is approaching the market very differently now, with the PS3. It will be interesting to see how that works out for them, but given the general disdain for the price tag, I would not be surprised to see a more level playing field, as far as developer support is concerned. In about a year or so it should be clear which, if any, of the new consoles will enjoy the lion's share of the developer support.
__________________
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 00:06   Link #204
AvatarST
◕‿‿◕
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Argentina
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Like I said earlier on the thread, I hope that either Sony lowers that crazy price tag or the developers go to the Wii, because else I'm gonna miss out on a lot of the games I care about (or have to pay a lot for the PS3, I suppose).

So I'm hoping the PS3 doesn't do too well at first. Hardware problems? That's been common with Sony...I have both a PSX and a PS2 and I was lucky enough not to have any problems, but my friends did. I guess it'd be less justified now with -that- price, though...
__________________
AvatarST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 03:47   Link #205
alpha3six
913-D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New Jersey USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb View Post
The irony: I'm still on the first PS2 we got several years ago.

So, do I have the Jesus of PS2s or something? 4 years and still kicking.
I got mine in 2001 and it still works... though I started getting "disc read error" as early as 2002. For a while it wouldn't read anything except dvd-movies, which was bizarre. Luckily for me it "fixed" itself and the disc read errors stopped. However it still literally grinds on certain PS1 discs and PS2 CD-ROMs.
alpha3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 04:58   Link #206
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Age: 31
Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
i bet you PS3 warranty will be for 6 months.



Nintendo will give a warranty for 1yr with an option for 3yrs extra (as if anyone would pay for that)
__________________
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 06:07   Link #207
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sweden
Send a message via MSN to Toxic
My first PS2 was really strange. It worked fine for a while, then it just got... BIZZARE! For some odd reason, the blue or the silver CDs (don't remember which one of them) only worked when the PS2 was standing in a specific position, while the other kind of CD only worked the other way around. I had to keep changing the position of my PS2 all the time for my CDs to work. A while later, my PS2 could only play games that barely had any scratches at all. A few months after that, one kind of CD stopped working (yet again, I forgot which type). And yet another few months later, my PS2 stopped playing CDs. Yeah, that's right, not even brand new games worked. I later learned that my specific model had a problem with the lens, and 5+ models after mine had fixed this problem, but had another problem that was very similar.

Do you still wish to say that the PS2 was not majorly flawed?

Back to the GC games...
Lack of adult oriented games, you say? *cough*:

Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Remake
P.N.03
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil Zero
Rouge Ops
Dead to Rights
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Lockdown
Soul Calibur 2

To mention the adult oriented games that I own. There are even more than the ones I've listed, also. One example is Fire Emblem.

On another note, I see nothing wrong with the "family" games such as Super Smash Bros. and Pikmin. They're entertaining, isn't that enough?
Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 07:16   Link #208
Ending
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
I wouldn't place much worth on the comments about Playstation's hardware-reliability, since it would make no sense to sell broken items. It seems like some just love dissing Sony for any reason. Their consoles have been a huge success and sold millions, so naturally there are some Sunday-items among the 41 million consoles. If it's broken, you can always replace it for free.

@ Radd

Thanks of the advertising speech, but it's the actions that matter, not the hype.

@ Toxic

Thanks to you too for listing *all* the even slightly more mature games NGC has. Just remember that some of those aren't available here, some aren't that interesting, and not all the games you are "adult oriented." (E.g: Soul Calibur 2.) On top of that, have you seen what is available for Gamecube right now? Here is the top-10 of Gamespot:

1. Super Smash Bros Melee
2. Naruto: Clash of Ninja 2
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
5. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
6. The Sims 2: Pets
7. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
8. Animal Crossing
9. Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
10. Tales of Symphonia

Naruto, Lego, Pokemon, Paper Mario... Really, you have to be either blind or decidedly ignorant to claim that Nintendo's consoles are anything else but all-family entertainment. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, it's safe for kids, but I wouldn't buy their consoles if I wanted to have serious entertainment.

Last edited by Ending; 2006-10-23 at 09:24.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 09:01   Link #209
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post

Back to the GC games...
Lack of adult oriented games, you say? *cough*:

P.N.03
Rogue Ops
Dead to Rights
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Lockdown
Yeah, you're right- these are definitely triple-A awesome titles, and you can't find any of them on the PS2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic
Resident Evil 4
Soul Calibur 2
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
And you definitely can't find any of these on the ps2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic
To mention the adult oriented games that I own. There are even more than the ones I've listed, also. One example is Fire Emblem.
I've got a shelf of 60-80 PS2 games (most of them PS2 exclusives) all of which are solid. The GC could, at best, muster MAYBE 15-20 games of the same caliber and maturity.

I like SOME kiddie games, too. But I usually want some meat on my games.
__________________
wsheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 09:48   Link #210
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sweden
Send a message via MSN to Toxic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
I wouldn't place much worth on the comments about Playstation's hardware-reliability, since it would make no sense to sell broken items. It seems like some just love dissing Sony for any reason. Their consoles have been a huge success and sold millions, so naturally there are some Sunday-items among the 41 million consoles. If it's broken, you can always replace it for free.

@ Toxic

Thanks to you too for listing *all* the even slightly more mature games NGC has. Just remember that some of those aren't available here, some aren't that interesting, and not all the games you are "adult oriented." (E.g: Soul Calibur 2.) On top of that, have you seen what is available for Gamecube right now? Here is the top-10 of Gamespot:

1. Super Smash Bros Melee
2. Naruto: Clash of Ninja 2
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
5. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
6. The Sims 2: Pets
7. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
8. Animal Crossing
9. Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
10. Tales of Symphonia

Naruto, Lego, Pokemon, Paper Mario... Really, you have to be either blind or decidedly ignorant to claim that Nintendo's consoles are anything else but all-family entertainment. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, it's safe for kids, but I wouldn't buy their consoles if I wanted to have serious entertainment.
You really are a fool to say that the PS2's hardware is reliable. You also missed the point that warranties are not permanent.

Since when was Mario childish? And Naruto, for that point? The only games that are childish in that list are Pokémon and Lego Star Wars.
Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 11:40   Link #211
Theclow
"Removed by mod"
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arizona western collage dorms
What is this a fanboy war between PS gamers and Nintendo gamers? For the record when you call a game 'Childish' it makes you look 'childish'.
__________________
Theclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 11:51   Link #212
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!
 
Join Date: May 2003
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
I wouldn't place much worth on the comments about Playstation's hardware-reliability, since it would make no sense to sell broken items. It seems like some just love dissing Sony for any reason. Their consoles have been a huge success and sold millions, so naturally there are some Sunday-items among the 41 million consoles. If it's broken, you can always replace it for free.
Er, you're not listening. I will repeat it again, one last time for you. Sony has been selling unreliable hardware for two console generations. They have been taken to court over this ( http://www.ps2settlement.com/ ). One of the problems was that they were not replacing broken units for free.

This is documented fact. This is not some anti-Sony bias. Saying Sony didn't do this does not magically make it untrue. Two generations now Sony has delivered flakey hardware at launch. It is only prudent to approach the purchase of a third console from them with due caution, especially when the price is so high this time around.

Quote:
@ Radd

Thanks of the advertising speech, but it's the actions that matter, not the hype.
You must be confused. You either horribly misread my post, or read some other post and mistakenly directed the reply to me. My last post was a rundown on the actions taken by Sony and Nintendo over the past generation or two, and pointing out how Sony's actions differ with this current generation.

On the topic of "mature" rated games, do we need to have the entire tree of causality for the Gamecube and Xbox's lack of developer support compared to that of the PS2 detailed out at length yet again? Heck, do we really need to point out that the PS2 has far more games than the Gamecube?
__________________
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 12:02   Link #213
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!
 
Join Date: May 2003
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theclow View Post
What is this a fanboy war between PS gamers and Nintendo gamers? For the record when you call a game 'Childish' it makes you look 'childish'.
It is a very odd phenomenon for people to latch onto percieved "sides", and follow them no matter what. Now matter how the "side" they're backing changes positions, no matter what they do. This is not limited to videogames, not at all. You see it in politics, Operating Systems, soft drinks, you name it.

Then when anyone points out any fallacies, half-truths, points out inconvinient facts, or otherwise questions someone's position, they immeadiately seem to assume that you must be on the other "side".

As I said earlier in the thread, there are no saints among the console developers. The thing is, the company in the best position often feels it can get away with more, and so they often begin pulling more crap. Anyone who thinks Nintendo is, and always has been, the innovative, gamer loving, company that makes good games out of the kindness of their hearts should read up on the company's history. The previous president's ruthless rise to power, Nintendo bullying developers and distributers, trying to keep carts the media of choice for games primarily to rake in the profit on selling those carts to developers even though it limited storage space considerably and kept cost to gamers higher than it needed to be. If you can find the full story, the history of the Virtual Boy is a particular dark spot for Nintendo's history, really showing their lack of desire to innovate while they were sitting on top of the industry, and willing to let one of their best creators take a fall because of the executives' poor judgement.
__________________
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 12:09   Link #214
Theclow
"Removed by mod"
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arizona western collage dorms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd View Post
It is a very odd phenomenon for people to latch onto percieved "sides", and follow them no matter what. Now matter how the "side" they're backing changes positions, no matter what they do. This is not limited to videogames, not at all. You see it in politics, Operating Systems, soft drinks, you name it.

Then when anyone points out any fallacies, half-truths, points out inconvinient facts, or otherwise questions someone's position, they immeadiately seem to assume that you must be on the other "side".
And that mostly because of the of the fact that people don't see both sides of the story or they refuse to know the 'dark past' as you put it, of the company so then they become biased without knowing it and of course it make the person look foolish.
__________________
Theclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 12:10   Link #215
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!
 
Join Date: May 2003
Age: 35
Oh, before I forget, some Wii news. Possible screenshots. Very impressive, if they're real. EA left a bad taste in my mouth with their Xbox 360 "bullshots" though, and just because it's for the Wii doesn't mean I trust these any more. We'll see, though.

http://zonaforo.meristation.com/foro...er=asc&start=0
__________________
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 14:23   Link #216
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
First off on the Madden Stuff. Its actually EA Canada Doing the Wii version. They are the better developers within EA(They did SSX and such)

Second off...On Nintendo and Kiddy. There is a difference between apporaite for everyone...and Kiddy. Kiddy is like Cars...But anyone can pick up Mario and Enjoy.

...And Im really dissapointed with the amount of attention 360 is getting...Well it has so many great looking games comming out...many exculsive and consule exculsive.
-Mass Effect, Bioshock, LOST PLANET!!!, Halo 3, Forza 2, PGR3, Geow, And many many more. Also having the most diverse RPG line up(Only ones with really any Western...And the only one with exculsive consule MMOs...Not to mention some sweet looking ones comming TriAce, Trusty Bell, Blue Dragon) Its kind of dissapointing is all they arent getting the attention they deserve
__________________
Shinoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 15:27   Link #217
Ending
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
One of the problems was that they were not replacing broken units for free.
Guys. Remember that we live in different countries. Around here the law requires them to replace the broken item in the shop the moment we show the receipt. If I have to resort to the warranty, it's not my problem how they replace it, since the shop gives me a new unit (not Sony). Then, in turn, the shop has a legal right to bill Sony of it.

Quote:
they become biased without knowing it and of course it make the person look foolish.
I know what you mean, but how are you any the wiser?

Quote:
Since when was Mario childish?
Why #01.
Why #02.
Why #03. (Almost like teletubbies, except that the baby-sun is a star.)

Last edited by Ending; 2006-10-23 at 15:55.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 16:01   Link #218
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Belgium
Age: 28
Quote:
As to the gamecube, it suffers from a serious lack of adult-oriented games.
I'm really tired of this ridiculous claim that adult games are needed to have games with meat, or games that are serious. It's as if they're trying to be cool by playing adult games.

Just drop this crap, you're not impressing anyone or making a good point.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 16:25   Link #219
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Age: 31
Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
lol. I always though the term "adult game" was reserved for hardcore hentai dating sims.

Thats what real "adults" get to play when you grew up.

*wants to play some adult games*

__________________
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 17:23   Link #220
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!
 
Join Date: May 2003
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
Guys. Remember that we live in different countries. Around here the law requires them to replace the broken item in the shop the moment we show the receipt.
I was replying to this comment:
Quote:
If it's broken, you can always replace it for free.
If Finland requires a shop to replace a broken item the moment you show a receipt, more power to you. Doesn't change the fact that Sony does not replace the console for free if they are not required by law.

I should also point out that Sony console warranties seem to be of the 90 day variety ( http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/Warranties ) and the hardware issues usually surfaced after about a year of use. Long after the warranty had expired, but long before any hardware problems should be showing in a gaming console. Does this Finnish law extend after such a period of time? I envy you if it does.
__________________
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
console

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.