AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Nanoha

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-11-17, 22:43   Link #30901
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Why is she a Mary Sue for being powerful when you can wave a stick in the Nasuverse and hit someone who's ridiculously broken, anyway. Seems arbitrary.
Because amongst all these broken characters, Arcueid is the most broken of the broken.

And Arcueid's lines are only barely visible in the daytime but at night he can't see them at all. Plus, it's not like Shiki is willing to kill her anyways. Just look at Ciel's route.

__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 22:58   Link #30902
Filraen
Big Damn Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post

My first thought was "why there's another Rein down there?"
Filraen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 23:20   Link #30903
mega1987
GregOS Offline
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filraen View Post
My first thought was "why there's another Rein down there?"
that's Rai/Levi if you haven't figured it out yet....
__________________
Darwin's nominee are best for laughs.
MGLN "Befriending" shows love thru superior firepower (Zenryokou Zenkai!)
Gundams are your worst nightmare in the battlefield.
SRW beats all foes.
JAM Project pwns all!!!

And I can't still make fanfic without restarting from the start when new ideas comes in...
mega1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 23:39   Link #30904
Filraen
Big Damn Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Yes, I saw that later.
Filraen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 00:35   Link #30905
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Is this Fanbook for real?

...nice picture, btw.

EDIT:

Curious parody xD

Spoiler for Signum: Demon Slayer:


...Lady Carim o.o?
__________________
May 29 2010-2015

...5 yeargo, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~

Last edited by Akiyoshi; 2011-11-18 at 04:47.
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 05:12   Link #30906
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Age: 28
Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
Curious parody xD
Parody of what? O__o'
__________________
Koveras Alvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 05:47   Link #30907
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
Parody of what? O__o'
Kanon xD

Signum is parodying Mai Kawasumi and Carim is arguably portaying as her best friend Sayuri Kurata. That scene takes place near the finale of Mai's Arc when she's attacked by demons during a School Dance Party.
__________________
May 29 2010-2015

...5 yeargo, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 07:29   Link #30908
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
Is this Fanbook for real?
Obviously. It had other pages I can't post.

__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 08:23   Link #30909
Justin_Brett
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada, Sault Ste. Marie
Quote:
Because amongst all these broken characters, Arcueid is the most broken of the broken.
And like I said, it doesn't really affect the story directly, just aesthetically and for backstory. The player only sees how powerful she is in one route anyway.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 15:34   Link #30910
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Popular with who? Fans who have more than two braincells to rub together or the unthinking, pseudo-lobotomized masses that populate most of fanfiction sites out there? >.>
I find that mildly offensive, but whatever.

And I meant in-universe. An essential characteristic of Mary Sues is that they're loved, and always thought of as "right" except by complete monsters, even by people who by all rights should hate them. Or at least be angry at them. Arcueid doesn't have that.

For that matter, she's not invincible. I haven't played the game, but I looked it up... She's been defeated before, and there are plenty of powerful people in that universe.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 15:45   Link #30911
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
The thing is that Nasuverse is so full of insanely overpowered people that a single defeat is equal to death. So, the ones who are at the top didn't have more option than "be invincible or die".
__________________
May 29 2010-2015

...5 yeargo, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 15:48   Link #30912
Sunder the Gold
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Arcueid had her ass handed to her by her "sister" Altrouge... back when Arcueid was untainted and none of her power had been stolen.

Allegedly, Altrouge is the reason that Arcueid's hair is short now; she chopped it off and kept it for a trophy.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 15:54   Link #30913
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
Arcueid had her ass handed to her by her "sister" Altrouge... back when Arcueid was untainted and none of her power had been stolen.

Allegedly, Altrouge is the reason that Arcueid's hair is short now; she chopped it off and kept it for a trophy.
Aaaaand that's another failure in my serch of an unbeatable badass xDU.
__________________
May 29 2010-2015

...5 yeargo, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 16:03   Link #30914
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
The problem is the character you want is a sign of poor writing. Unbeatable heros that win every fight with ease and really has nothing to worry about are boring and it's impossible to create tension in their fights because it's a foregone conclusion that they'll walk out without a scratch.

__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 16:11   Link #30915
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
The problem is the character you want is a sign of poor writing. Unbeatable heros that win every fight with ease and really has nothing to worry about are boring and it's impossible to create tension in their fights because it's a foregone conclusion that they'll walk out without a scratch.
That's why they're divided into "Boring" and "Showy" Invincible Heroes xD! But yeah, i have aknack to cheer for those who can mantain a cool demeanor even in the face of ruin and always emerge triumphant in the last moment.

Also, invincible dudes are fun to watch from time to time depending of how well the character is executed, Curren's current "unbeatable" status is one of the things i like from her character, so i'm a bit sad of the inevitably moment when she will be stripped of her shine.

By the way, even back when Signum was awesome she didn't beat her opponents with ease, there's various ways of being unbeatable, there are the guys that always win easily and THEN there are those other guys that also always win but pass trough hardships during battle in order to score their incredible feats, Signum obviously used to be part of the second group as part of why Signum's past victories were so amazing was because she was pitted against hella skilled and powerfull adversaries, and manage to rise up in the end even after receiving a lot of punishment.
__________________
May 29 2010-2015

...5 yeargo, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 16:15   Link #30916
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
"Mary Sue" would be an old Star Trek fanfiction term. I've seen some here and there, but probably the best was Lt. Piper in Diane Carey's novels, as she is and yet isn't quite a Mary Sue. She's not perfect and mostly it is because the story is told from her point of view rather than the usual heros (who are still the ones normally saving the day). That and she tends to have flaws here and there (including probably the first instance of someone asking to use the restroom while in the middle of a space battle. Though to be fair, at the time they couldn't really do anything anyway, since they (U.S.S. Enterprise) were the prize, rather than the combatants.)
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 19:14   Link #30917
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pekanbaru (UTC+07:00)
Age: 28


Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
Aaaaand that's another failure in my serch of an unbeatable badass xDU.
Wizard Marshall Zelretch.
__________________
Tiresias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 21:15   Link #30918
Sheba
Kimoi~
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In Iwagawa Kichi, partying with the Sendai sisters
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
You recomended he skip it entirely, though. I agree that checking out the source material first is a good way to go, but the anime is still worth a watch.
Hum, no. One of the main complains from the japanese fans is that Shiki have been Shinji-ed up so bad it is not fun. It is equivalent to Nanoha fans throwing a hissy fit if someone turned her 1990s Anti-Hero. I like them, by them, I mean those like Jotaro Kujo, John McClane and K', but not everyone does.

Last edited by Sheba; 2011-11-18 at 21:44.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 22:32   Link #30919
Justin_Brett
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada, Sault Ste. Marie
Yeah, he was a completely different character for no reason, and so was Arcueid. Since the anime's about the route where he romances her, it's almost a completely different experience from the game.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 23:00   Link #30920
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post

So we found the proper Mary Sue for the Nanoha threads?

The Great Befriender herself?
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
images, nanoha, nsfw

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.