AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-30, 03:08   Link #15121
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
as the Huckebein ackowledge after Nanoha and Vita make a hole on their warship).
Nanoha had no trouble puting holes in ships even before Strike Cannon. It was how she targeted a certain pesky Number.

Quote:
tranfering magic and tranforming it into direct energy to shoot mass-based attacks
Didn't she land a direct hit with it on Thoma?
Old 2010-12-30, 03:13   Link #15122
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Didn't she land a direct hit with it on Thoma?
Yep and thats when Fortis got impressed by Nanoha being able to deal physical damage but also points that an infected person can regenerate physical damage as well.

...4 yeargo, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2010-12-30, 03:19   Link #15123
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Really? I haven't read the translated version, but the images show him taking no damage.

Though there is that one mid panel I can't see clearly because it's so small.
Old 2010-12-30, 03:26   Link #15124
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

It's already translated on "you know where" xD

~The ASFB~
Old 2010-12-30, 03:33   Link #15125
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Just read it. From what page are you getting all that from? Page 11? Nanoha goes on about the disease and how her equipment is a counter measure, but beyond that, I'm not getting anything else from it.
Old 2010-12-30, 04:02   Link #15126
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Yup, page 11 where Fortis is indeed impressed by the TSAB's new toy but still confident that an infected person is virtually invincible against normal attacks.

~The ASFB~
Old 2010-12-30, 04:50   Link #15127
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Directly converting magic into physical force may get around the magic nullifying thing, but you're still firing a gun at Superman
Old 2010-12-30, 09:18   Link #15128
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The fact that Nanoha was quoted by Shamal to be 'an expert in creating non-lethal bullets' pretty much shows that her not permanently harming people is her choice rather than the result of her magic.

She can main people if she wants to, but let's be honest here: A Nanoha maiming people wouldn't be Nanoha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
I think there's two factor against shield on anime:

- the shield was not realy used in japan so it's not something that often come to designer's mind
- it's not flashy enough
More the first than the second, but a pity all the same.
Old 2010-12-30, 12:24   Link #15129
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
I think there's two factor against shield on anime:

- the shield was not realy used in japan so it's not something that often come to designer's mind
- it's not flashy enough
As the Samurai would tell you, and since a lot of Japanese have their ideals from the Samurai, just like how a lot of the West gets ideals from Knights, the Shield was seen as a sign of weakness and cowardice.

"You go into battle, prepared to die, thus you will come out alive."

Besides, they used giant clubs to break shields.

Edit: The reason that the West has no problem with shields and it makes us wonder why Japan doesn't use them, is because EVERY culture in Europe has used shields in various forms. Spartans, Romans, Athenians, Macedonians, Celtics, Vikings, English... All of them used some form of shield. It's in our very nature to know about and use shields. Even today, police officers use shields (at least in the bigger cities) to deal with Riots.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2010-12-30, 12:45   Link #15130
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Pretty sure her shields failed (auto barrier, barrier jacket) Not sure an actual shield (sans upgrade maybe) would matter

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2010-12-30, 12:52   Link #15131
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
Pretty sure her shields failed (auto barrier, barrier jacket) Not sure an actual shield (sans upgrade maybe) would matter
Isn't Fortress comprised of Shields, btw?
Old 2010-12-30, 13:04   Link #15132
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Well that's Nanoha's shield and its an upgrade at that, so yes. We were on about Signum I believe.

Still think a reacted direct hit might crack one of those. Like from Deville.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2010-12-30, 13:05   Link #15133
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Well that's Nanoha's shield and its an upgrade at that, so yes. We were on about Signum I believe.

Still think a reacted direct hit might crack one of those. Like from Deville.
Signum has discovered the Spartan Shield.

Signum gets +50 to defense and +40 to offense.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2010-12-30, 13:06   Link #15134
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

I reviewed the root of the that topic to be sure it was about signum. Yeah, sorry, think I just talked in full circle. :P

Old 2010-12-30, 14:52   Link #15135
Lord Pertinax
Word Bearers Kommandant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
It's already translated on "you know where" xD
....Where?

"For each hero's song thousands die alone, unsung and unremembered." Anonymous.
Old 2010-12-30, 14:54   Link #15136
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Oh for, google search the manga title

Old 2010-12-30, 15:15   Link #15137
Lord Pertinax
Word Bearers Kommandant

Quote:
Oh for, google search the manga title
Somehow that has never worked for me...

"For each hero's song thousands die alone, unsung and unremembered." Anonymous.
Old 2010-12-30, 17:25   Link #15138
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
- it's not flashy enough
This is most likely the pivotal reason, a shield will look really out of place on Signum, she always has been a face-to-face fighter, that's the advantage of magical shields they can appear to fullfil their purpouse and dissapear to allow the mage/knight to continue the ass-kicking(and also using their own magic circle/triangle as a light shield looks really cool), itanshi1 is right on that even an actual shield probably represents no problem for a reacted Huckebein, the higher indicartor is the Fortress Mode itself, Nanoha's famous defensive magic is rendered useless, the only solution? replace it with three huge-sized, floating, grossed shields, because magical shields are a lot tougher and stronger than normal ones(S1 Fate's Round Shield is able to withstand Nanoha's Divine Buster, an attack capable of blowing up freakin giant mechas). Still the Fortress Mode is for the most part "Awesome but Impractical", even toughlooks to be pretty efficient i still don't get totally convinced by Nanoha using such a saturated equipement, she's like a fast bird flying on the sky but she looks now more like a floating castle xDU.

The same goes for Signum, it will be jarring if she receives something similar to the Fortress mode, i prefer some sleeker equipement(one the suits her Lightning Bruiser style).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Directly converting magic into physical force may get around the magic nullifying thing, but you're still firing a gun at Superman
That's what i meant, the AEC equipement give the Section Six mages the chance to actually fight back without getting all their attacks cancelled, but an effective method to actually defeat a Huckbein is yet to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Signum has discovered the Spartan Shield.

Signum gets +50 to defense and +40 to offense.
...and -30 Coolness xDU

The spartan way is cool when you're on groups and on a defensive stance, Signum is an offensive focused warrior and also lacks the group of people necessary to make said shield strategy effective(they were uhm... 300 you know xDU).

Tsuzuki is you by chance read this forums and don't hate me by this point ....give Signum a super-scabbard with defensive qualities, it will be all kinds of cool xD!

~The ASFB~
Old 2010-12-30, 17:38   Link #15139
Aaron008R

It's not like I actually mind Signum having a shield as an optional AEC equipment. But seeing most AEC's being big and techie...

Hmm...

Spoiler for pic:

Yeah, a bit awkward.

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Old 2010-12-30, 17:42   Link #15140
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
It's not like I actually mind Signum having a shield as an optional AEC equipment. But seeing most AEC's being big and techie...

Hmm...

Spoiler for pic:

Yeah, a bit awkward.
Eeek! well uhm... you really put it more graphically, thanks

Signum+shield = Fail

~The ASFB~
Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, manga, nanoha, seinen