AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2006-07-20, 11:21   Link #1
Lotiman

How to delete a post?

Hi, when I reply in a thread it reply 13 post at the same times. I am not sure what happen because each post you need to wait 60 seconds before another post can be made. But the post I make generated 13 times. Since it already generated, how can I delete it. Because this might looks like spamming.
Lotiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 12:21   Link #2
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Send a message via MSN to Toxic
You can't delete your messages, sadly. Try PMing a moderator and tell them the situation.
Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 13:37   Link #3
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotiman
Hi, when I reply in a thread it reply 13 post at the same times. I am not sure what happen because each post you need to wait 60 seconds before another post can be made. But the post I make generated 13 times. Since it already generated, how can I delete it. Because this might looks like spamming.
You can not delete you own messages. If you double post and you would like it deleted, delete all text in the duplicate post and leave a moderator a message for deletion...

---
Example:

[Duplicate post. Please delete.]
---

....or, send a Private Message (PM) to a Mod and let them know you'd like your duplicates removed. If you have duplicate posts, feel free to PM me with the post links. Cheers.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 13:53   Link #4
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Unless Catgirls (or another Mod) deleted the posts, I can't find any duplicate posts you've made?

Bear in mind that the forum is laggy at the moment (see the other thread in this forum), more likely due to heavy load, i.e. maybe an attack. In situations like this it easy for duplicate posts to be created (or appear to have been created).
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 15:03   Link #5
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Really? They're not one bit laggy for me... In fact, they're faster than ever.
Old 2006-07-21, 11:50   Link #6
Lotiman

Thx, I am not sure what happen to my 13 posts. Maybe is because of the lag as xris said. Anyways, thank you for replying me. Appreciated.
Lotiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 13:15   Link #7
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Thats puzzled me for a while now.
Why cant we delete our own posts?
Is it because this Forum software doesnt support it?

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 13:27   Link #8
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz
Thats puzzled me for a while now.
Why cant we delete our own posts?
Is it because this Forum software doesnt support it?
It's not because vB doesn't allow it, it's because we (the forum Admin) do not allow it. End of story really.
Old 2006-07-23, 02:54   Link #9
ShadowClone
Genin Featherweight

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowClone Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowClone
Yeah, I'm really curious, in the other forums I'm a member in, they initially allowed us to delete our own posts...but later they disabled this feature.

So xris, what is the reason why members can't delete their own posts? Does it have something to do with the indexing of the posts in the DB? Or the linking of the threads?
ShadowClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-23, 05:19   Link #10
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowClone
So xris, what is the reason why members can't delete their own posts? Does it have something to do with the indexing of the posts in the DB? Or the linking of the threads?
Because the non-existent advantages do not outweight the numourous disadvantages... Anyway, I've already given the reason, it's because we decided not to allow it
Old 2006-09-15, 14:34   Link #11
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Let us delete our own posts.

Please? I find it very annoying that I have to contact an admin or moderator every time I want to delete a post, and I see no reason why we should NOT be allowed to delete them. If you do have a valid reason, then please do tell me about it, cause I'd very much like to hear whatever reason you may have.

If you, however, do not have a reason for it, I would like to request that you let us delete our posts. Thanks.

[Edit]
Oh yes, and renaming our threads, if you could make that possible
Old 2006-09-15, 14:43   Link #12
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

If users were allowed to delete there own posts, then they could delete threads started by
them by deleting the first post (afaik, not sure if this is still applicable) and when there is a
heated discussion, a angry user could completely screw up the thread by deleting his own posts
(and make the discussion seem oddly one-sided).

Now if vB offers an option to delete a post within say 30 minutes of posting, then I'd allow that.
But deleting older posts should not be possible, for consistency purposes.

A workaround (if you don't like contacting mods etc) is to simply edit your post and put in
"[post withdrawn]" or something similar.

As for renaming threads: er... not sure -- can't you do that by editing the title of the first post?
(click the "edit" button and then click "Go Advanced", and try changing the title there)
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 14:55   Link #13
xris
Just call me Ojisan

As for renaming threads, you have something like a 10 minute window to edit the thread once it's created.
Old 2006-09-16, 08:45   Link #14
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

No, renaming threads won't work that way. The change will only show up INSIDE the thread, not outside it. (No other way to explain it)

Anyway, I see your reasoning about the deleting.
Old 2006-09-16, 15:04   Link #15
JustAnotherFan
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic
No, renaming threads won't work that way. The change will only show up INSIDE the thread, not outside it. (No other way to explain it)
As xris mentioned: When you change your title within a certain timeframe then the thread title (outside title) will be changed as well. After that time, you can only change your post title (inside title).
Old 2006-09-16, 16:18   Link #16
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Ah, okay, makes sense.
Old 2006-09-16, 17:01   Link #17
Sazelyt
F i n

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
If users were allowed to delete there own posts, then they could delete threads started by them by deleting the first post (afaik, not sure if this is still applicable) and when there is a heated discussion, a angry user could completely screw up the thread by deleting his own posts (and make the discussion seem oddly one-sided).
I understand both arguments, but isn't deleting the content of the post similar to the case of deleting the message? A completely empty message will give a similar kind of impression. As long as the replied post is not there (without quote for instance), the answering side will look as if talking to himself.

I guess one automatic message deletion per thread might be an allowable number for each user considering the possibility of an error (except for the thread starter post), and for more deletion "contacting the administrator" option can be used. This might also decrease the load on the administrators.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-16, 17:26   Link #18
xris
Just call me Ojisan

I'll repeat what I said earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
Because the non-existent advantages do not outweight the numourous disadvantages... Anyway, I've already given the reason, it's because we decided not to allow it